Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

change my name posted:

Has there been any solid reports on the evo 3d's dimensions? Like how does it compare to the original? I mean we know the rough size since the screen is huge but if it's too thick I don't know.

Yes Engadget had full specs. It is bigger than the EVO slightly, but a hair thinner. I can't wait to see one in person but the back of it looks hideous in pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
15th wouldn't be the release date because they release new phones on Sundays from what I can tell.

900ftjesus posted:

Pre-ordered one today at a Sprint store. It's in "sales force" which is some internal system or at least that's what the rep said.

You have to buy a $50 gift card when you pre-order, so you can just opt not to buy and get something else if you want.

Yes last year when I pre-ordered the Oreo EVO it was the same way, and Best Buy has been taking pre-orders for the EVO 3D that way for a week or 2 already.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

brc64 posted:

The EVO came out on a Friday.

I wasn't aware, because I got the Oreo one at Best Buy on release day and it was Sunday. My bad.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Alman posted:

Blogs are blowing up about some analyst's remarks about the next iPhone coming to Sprint and T-Mobile. I guess he's saying it's called the iPhone 4S, and it will ship without LTE support but will have HSPA+ enabled which gives AT&T and T-Mobile some marketing leverage over Verizon and Sprint. Either way, to those Sprint people who are jonesing for an iOS device, it may be coming this fall.

http://gizmodo.com/5801860/lte+free-backup-plan-iphone-4s-could-land-this-september

I have pretty much decided not to get the EVO 3D for myself and just get one for my wife. Reading this (even as a Android/Google fan) I am tempted to get a iPhone and truly judge which one I like better. Even if I didn't like the iPhone the worst case have to wait until May 2012 to upgrade again by using another line.

That said I just read this:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/16/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-us-carrier-names-revealed-atandt-attain-veri/

The bad news worst names ever for these phones. The good news (if I am understanding this right) that the Sprint version will not have a hard keyboard, which in turns means they are not going to gently caress with this gorgeous phone (outside of bullshit software). Still not sure why it mentions a kickstand or how real it is.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

WoG posted:

This sounds sketchy as hell, but I'd be psyched to see it. "support for sprint and t-mobile" is an odd way to phrase that, considering they'd have to be different models, but this isn't vetted language. Not having 4g on a flagship device doesn't sound like apple or sprint, but then again, calling it the 4s instead of 5 would be the way to do that, and sprint would probably take anything apple gives them.

Samsung 'Within'? That may literally be the worst product name I've ever heard.

It was until I read the words Verizon "Function". That takes the cake. They can call it whatever they want as long as they don't change the look and form of the phone.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

sirbeefalot posted:

I think I'd like it as an option to consider. I've invested in iOS already with my iPod Touch, and the main reason up until now that I personally haven't considered the iPhone has more to do with carrier choices than the phone or OS themselves.

Me too and Apple fanboys are intolerable was my other reason.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Radio Shack begins EVO 3D pre-orders today:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/17/htc-evo-3d-pre-orders-begin-today-at-radioshack-but-launch-date/

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

change my name posted:

Honestly the only thing I want to know about the 3D is how bad the battery life is gonna be (I'm guessing terrible but since it's 1730 mah instead of 1500 you never know)

Some say it will be better due to the way it will use the dual processor. That said given the history of EVO the guess it is not going to be good. Not a phone for someone who doesn't work in a office or can use a charger during the day.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ha no one in my family can text right now. It seems the network for SMS is down right now for us (we are in Knoxville, TN). Tired to call Sprint but one hell of a wait.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
So I guess it was a a big outage if it made Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/17/sprint-network-is-down-no-sms-and-voice-calls-for-some-of-you/

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey Tennessee friend, this is good for me to know, nashville has had crap internet here for the past 3 weeks now. Sprint really needs to fix it.

I have had tons of 3G issues with my data. I do a lot streaming and nothing worse than it dropping in the middle of something you are really in to.

I work in Oak Ridge on ORNL. Our data is awful out here now. I use to be able to stream at work no problem, but over the last couple of months I am lucky to have a data connection. Someone at work told me that he heard that ORNL uses a suppressor on data going in and out of the compound,. that they can pinpoint areas of high activity. Now if you know anything about Oak Ridge, TN you can understand someone being paranoid. This in turn has made me paranoid if they are pulling my SMS or MMS out of the air (I don't know if this is possible or legal).

I guess my question is it possible to suppress 3G like the person at work told me, and how legal is it to pull SMS/MMS out of the air? I am thinking about getting the Airrave (is that what it is called?) to see if that helps here at work, but I could be pissing some people off I don't know about.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

TheBlackMallard posted:

There's a 2.3 leak for the Shift on XDA. I just flashed it about an hour ago and it seems pretty stable. It's running Sense 2.1.

What is the difference in Sense 2.1 and Sense 3.0?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

CharlesM posted:

Signal jammers are illegal. They can interfere with emergency services so are muy uncool.

Even if it is the government doing it to protect security in some highly sensitive areas?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Aredna posted:

They've ran a lot of promotions, such as the $125 smart phone credit when people port a number to Sprint, that brought new subs. I think Duckman said at one point that it was the main reason they couldn't keep the EVO and some other models in stock at his store.

Plus the EVO was the first phone in a long time I heard people saying they would switch to Sprint for it. It was what Sprint wanted the Palm Pre to be.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

heat posted:

Yeah from what I've seen Sense 3.0 has some cool stuff but why do they insist on keeping that poo poo launcher? They recognized that the lockscreen had room for massive improvement and functionality, but continue to waste 3/4 of the bottom row of the homescreen

My biggest bitch about Sense is the launcher. Of course you can use ADW or LPP and still get the lock screen (I guess you can), but you lose the Sense widgets. The new weather just looks awesome.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Deadpan Science posted:

I wonder how much the gs2 will sell for.

Just want them to confirm it will be sexy version and not some bullshit thicker version.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
That much confirms my decision to wait for the SGS2 later this summer. I don't mind Sense outside of the fact it has one ugly rear end launcher and lockscreen (well that is changing with the new Sense but still same launcher), but I got into Android because I love customizing my phone. I would rather keep my current EVO than have a EVO 3D that is un-rootable. Will get one for my wife, but she could care less about root.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

brc64 posted:

You know you can still change the launcher, even without root, right? And nobody is saying the phone will be unrootable. A signed bootloader doesn't prohibit root, just the ability to load custom ROMs. The ability to simply have root is almost inevitable.

Maybe I used the wrong word (un-rootable), and yes I do know about LPP or ADW for example. That said I want to be able to remove Sense or whatever else Sprint/HTC puts on my phone if I feel the need or desire. I also want to change the look of my notification bar or whatever else I feel like depending on my mood. Correct me if I am wrong, but you can't do that unless you have the ability to flash a ROM? What this means is no perm-root correct?

So maybe I should of said I will not get one if it is un-flashable?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 24, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chunk posted:

I honestly dont care about custom roms nearly as much as I care about rooting for tethering. What are the odds I would be able to do this with the evo 3d?

See I am the opposite way. I don't care about tether, I just want custom ROMs.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
After reading the XDA thread about the EVO 3D I think I understand a little better the difference between encrypted and locked bootloader. Sounds like there is a chance it could be broken, but a lot are doubtful or it will be awhile before you will ever be able to flash a custom ROM (if ever).

Just curious what is the main reason HTC is doing this? Is it really to please the carriers because of tethering? Urg if the Nexus S was dual core I would tell my wife to get that instead.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
HTC just posted on Facebook:

Thanks so much for providing feedback, we hear your concerns. Your satisfaction is a top priority for us and we're working hard to ensure you have great experiences with our phones. We're reviewing the issue and our policy around bootloaders and will provide more information soon. Thank you for your interest, support and willingness to share your feedback.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It looks like people spammed the HTC FB page bitching about the bootloader for the EVO 3D, and that is why HTC posted that statement. I give them props for listening, and if they change their mind they will become my favorite company. It would be nice for a company to listen to consumers once and awhile.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/25/sprint-teams-up-with-motorola-for-june-9-event-finally-launchin/

Motorola device coming to Sprint (Atrix?).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Great, slow-rear end software despite being dual-core Tegra 2 and (likely) a signed bootloader? Not sure how it's going to compete with the Evo 3D.

Yes I would put it 4th on my list behind the Nexus S, EVO 3D, and the rumored SGS2.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

thelightguy posted:

Ech. There's a reason Samsung and HTC are the only two manufacturers worth a drat. And not even HTC given the current situation with the bootloader.

What is all the Samsung hate here anyway? Is it really all just because of the botched 2.2 rollout? The Epic 4G appears to be almost universally a better phone than the EVO Shift, despite sitting at the same price point.

I have a family member with each and prefer the Epic over the Shift if going for a phone with a keyboard. That could change if it runs into issues. I prefer HTC over Samsung but all the real positive reviews of the SGS2 has gotten my attention.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
From what I read the other day when the story first came out that HTC may change their policy is that the EVO 3D may ship locked but will be unlocked later. Of course nothing but rumors.

As I said earlier in this thread if HTC did this they would rock. Well they do rock!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It was removed but just saw a leaked picture of the Nexus 3. It looks to be a HTC with no buttons running Ice Cream Sandwich. Best part of this post full of rumors was that they are working on a Sprint CDMA version for a multi carrier launch. If this turns out to be true I am definitely waiting for this baby. Rumored launch is late this year.

Edit: It is still showing up on Pulse.

Google Working with HTC on Ice Cream Sandwich Nexus Phone? - http://pulsene.ws/1KTVW

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 29, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Tatsujin posted:

I keep hearing horror stories about reception and lovely WiMAX transfer speeds in identical location tests with the Evo 4G. I gotta admit that's keeping me from just running out and getting one immediately.

Engadet posted a article about this, but I think it was against the Epic 4G not the EVO. Honestly if you want a Nexus you might as well wait for the Nexus 3. HTC will do it right.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rent posted:

haha that's reflective of our current consumerism and pretty sad. "I know this phone just came out a week ago, but wait for the next one". That's getting kind of bad.

What's hosed up is I know kids who buy phones out of contract when new ones come out. Who the hell can afford to keep up in the wireless game?

What? The Nexus S was already a old phone when it released on Sprint. You already have a superior phone being released June in the EVO 3D, and late summer with the SGS2. Plus take into account the new Nexus is being made by HTC, and will be first phone running ICS it would be stupid to buy a Nexus S if you can wait until late fall.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ozmodiar posted:

Isn't LG still the leading candidate to produce the Nexus 3?

I thought I read somewhere that Google was testing a htc AND a LG device, and one of them would end up being the Nexus 3?

Either way, I'm excited that there's a good chance Sprint will get it out of the gate, and I'll be holding off on the EVO 3D in favor of the Nexus 3.

I am not sure about LG. I am going by the leak from yesterday. Mainly it said the Nexus 3 might be a HTC phone with no buttons running ICS, and it is being tested for Sprint CDMA's network. It also included a picture of the device (looks to a 4.3 inch device), and said rumored release date is late this year.

That said I am with you about waiting. I was thinking about the SGS2 instead of the EVO 3D, but reading about all the issues with the Nexus S 4G makes me fear Samsung again. So unless something changes and as long the rumors are true, my next phone will be the Nexus 3.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Forgot to say I pre-ordered my wife's EVO 3D today. I was told by the Best Buy person they are bring told sometime around the 3rd week of June. Which means they have no idea.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Hasn't Sprint always been like a sponsor on XBL or am I going crazy? You stream a video and sometimes you get a Sprint ad. So when I saw that I didn't think of it at all. Just XBL making money off ad space.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I had a friend tell me yesterday that Knoxville has had 4g coverage for 3 months now. I had no idea because I been running MIUI during that time which doesn't have 4G. I am surprised that I had no idea we had 4G here. I don't want to leave MIUI, but I would like to blaze some 4g sometime.

Edit: That USB port for the EVO cost me one phone already (Sprint made me use TEP and it cost me $100), and I am paranoid it will happen again. It should be free to fix now because HTC hosed up on that.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 5, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

change my name posted:

*Checks to see if the 3d's been released yet, sighs, spins around and walks out door*

24th is what the leaked Radio Shack ad said. Jesus I am going to wait for the Nexus 3 so the wait for the EVO 3D is nothing at all.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Deathlove posted:

Will this carry over any discounts applied to the plan? I've got that credit union one from forever ago that I'd like to keep.

Also, it looks like I can only do one phone, and I'd like to do two - both lines are eligible for upgrades. Can I do this without placing two orders?

I have been on the Citibank discount (27%) forever, and I have purchased upgrades from Sprint Corp store, Sprint non-corp store, Sprint online, Radio Shack, Radio Shack online, Best Buy, EBay, and from SA Mart (got the Mogul) over the years and I still have my discount.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Naffer posted:

Do you guys know how the corporate discounts work? If I sign up for 2 years and don't stay employed with this employer for the entirety of the contract, am I expected to notify sprint to have the discount removed?

I haven't worked for Citibank for almost 7 years (God knows how many times I have re-upped during that time). I even moved after school from my Citibank location (Johnson City, TN) to Knoxville, TN to take a new job. Never once has Sprint mentioned a word to me about my discount. It just keeps showing up on my bill.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Leathal posted:

2) If so, does everyone on the account have to upgrade at the same time? One of the people on the account wants a new phone, but won't have 200 bucks of discretionary income until she starts her new job and gets a few paychecks deposited.

God no. I have 5 lines and right now I have it where I get at least 2 upgrades every year. Me & my wife upgrade whatever lines are available and switch the phones to our numbers. We than give our kids the old phones. My son is was pissed that I am waiting for the Nexus 3 because he wants my EVO.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I wish Samsung would hurry up with information on the SGS2. It is the only phone that might get me to jump before the Nexus 3.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ShowTime posted:

I still don't understand why you'd need a kickstand for your phone. It's not like you are going to leave it parked outside a convenience store while you run inside for a slurpee.

No but it is pretty cool to use your kickstand at your desk at work. Actually it loving rocks. I even have a dock at my desk for it but I prefer using the kickstand most of the time.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

jaku78 posted:

You know, looking at people that comment about the EVO 3D on a few forums I'm starting to feel like the feature they named the phone after was a mistake. Most people hear 3D in the name and immediately say gently caress this phone it will burn battery life on an EVO to match and it will be a bitch to turn it off said feature without trying to find out more information. They should have just used one of their 10,000 vague random descriptions like HTC always does. Or maybe just named it EVO 2 for 2 cores and capitalize on the real reason why people are buying this phone in the first place.

I do agree that the EVO 2 would of been a better name, but they wanted to show off that 3D part of the phone. Average consumer will probably love having 3D in the name while not even completely understanding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Sprint's unlimited data means unlimited? Right? I am just checking because I remembering hearing it really was 5 gigs, but if you went over some no biggie. Well last month I had 10 gigs and this month I am already at 6 gigs at the half way point. The biggest data uses are podcast (download via 3G) and some direct to phone ROM downloads. Besides that all I been doing is streaming (XIAA and Google Music Beta).