Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What the hell? Could they really be doing that? That is crazy. I know technology like Google Goggles exists and is quite impressive, but the normal phone app connecting and doing image recognition? I'm sure there would be some kind of privacy issue there.

Edit: I have a feeling it a system bug of some kind, not related to what you are taking pictures of. That would be insane. Were you playing music at the same time?

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm looking forward to seeing one in person. I'm quite curious about 3d and 3d video!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Just got back from the AT&T store...drove there with all intentions to port from Sprint, grab the Nexus S and be out the door. I left empty handed though...still doubting AT&T and whether it's right for me.

I asked (on purpose) the salesman if the tethering is free. He said no, you have to pay for it. I asked him why it's free on the Nexus S (T-Mobile and Sprint). He said it isn't and I corrected him by telling him it IS free and is a perk to the "Pure Google" experience. He said well, whatever, AT&T will be charging for it in the near future. He then pointed out all other Android phones and said well, they have to pay to tether so Nexus S owners will too. Ok bro, you're missing the point of Pure Google...

I also inquired about the reception issues with the Nexus S and of course, deer in headlights. He also was tripping over his words when I asked about porting my 12-yr old number to GV via AT&T. I also thought it was interesting that he said the plan is $69 and unlimited data is only $10. I said "you mean the 4g surcharge is $10?" He said no, data is $10. Ah well...white flag and all...

Lastly, he told me the port-in credit is only direct and Amazon doesn't qualify. I thought I'd have a bit of fun before I left by asking him if they would match Amazon's $99 deal for the Nexus S. He laughed, I laughed, I left.

So, I really wanted to snuggle up to AT&T, but it just wasn't in the cards today. There seems to be too much uncertainty regarding the hotspot charge / no charge / etc. and at this point, people are hoping Google / Samsung fixes the "phantom" reception issues

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/27/engadget-investigates-samsung-nexus-s-4g-wimax-performance-issu/

I do realize the sales rep was poorly trained, but I didn't have much confidence in his sales pitch.

Until then, I'll sit on the sidelines and watch how the Galaxy S II fares.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

traveling midget posted:

8 years is definitely an exaggeration but it was a Verizon flip-phone with a stamp-sized LCD on the outside and a traditional 1-9 keypad.

except older.

I had that model also, and probably still would if I was still on Verizon.
Only reason you wouldn't be able to use an old phone is if it did not have the E911 location ability and you try to activate new service with it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, and it gets him to a mobile OS that people actually develop for, instead of WinMo 6.5 or some hacked together version of Android that barely runs with some features working.

So I thought he would at least need to go to $40 SERO premium, and that the $10 being waived is what would take a normal SERO line to $50 for something like the Evo. Would both of those be waived for a Replenish on old $30 SERO?

from that thread posted:

GOOD NEWS - Phone showed up early -

bad news - wont activate without changing plan. I'll be god dammed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You could always get a dumbphone. Are there any that do email?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint dumbphone options kinda suck, the best one is the rumor touch and it has been out over 1 year now. The only dumbphone I could recommend over the TP2 is the lotus elite, and sadly that phone is 6 months discontinued.

Good to know, since actually I was considering just getting a dumbphone this time. I just want poo poo to work and not worry about the hardware being outdated. I just talk, text, and email.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

chupacabraTERROR posted:

How did you get it on a 1yr contract?

You can when you renew, or some business contracts.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ease posted:

Im a land surveyor. High precision gps is way more important. gently caress light squared. They need to find a frequency far away from gps/glonass

It's affecting farmers who use GPS, also.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mtr posted:

I know that Sprint's network was messed up a few days ago, but is anyone else still having problems?

Two of my friends who are on Verizon have texted me in the past day and I haven't received any of the texts. I'm trying to determine if it's Sprint or my phone causing the problem. Google Voice hasn't even picked up on the texts, so I think it's Sprint?

Edit: I've tested this a little further now. It appears I can send texts to anyone. I can receive texts from one of my Sprint friends. But I cannot receive texts from Verizon people. Testing with AT%T right now.

I cannot send texts to emails anymore, I guess.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Would it be possible to make a tower that does LTE and WiMax simultaneously? Just curious, I don't really know how these things work.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bobula posted:

She doesn't have internet in her house, so she can't do the airrave. One of my friends is switching providers and has a SERO plan, he said it shouldn't be a problem to transfer it to her name if she opens another Sprint account beforehand. Is he wrong?

The update fixed a bit of the lagging but it still resets all the time and is just retarded.

If she gets out without having to pay the ETF, does she still need to return the phone?

It can be hard to do a Transfer of Liability (TOL) with SERO accounts now. I recommend looking on the SprintUsers.com forum. For example:
http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221339

P.s. I found out there is no extra charge for texting while in Canada.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Bananana posted:

Hello, I have an Evo 4g, and I was wondering: is there a way to send texts that have bolded,italicized and/or underlined text formatting?

The only way I've seen is with MMS messages.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The possibility to take those days off.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LorneReams posted:

I currently have a TP2 on the SERO $30 plan. My phone is starting to die...is there something like a TP3 I should get, or is this the end of the line?

Should I just wait for the iphone...how much would that add to my plan(10+10?)

My TP1 doesn't ring a lot of the time and it's hard to hear anything. On the website I can get an LG Remarq for $50 without renewing or changing plans, has anybody used it?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Krittick posted:

I have never met a person named Chad I liked.

Chad or Todd = Tool in my experience

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sprint confirms it will stick with unlimited data plans ?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

clockworx posted:

$50. If you use any smartphone with an OS other than Windows 6, you get "Sero Premium" which is $40, and then add $10 more for Premium Data, which is only for 4G phones (oops, also the iPhone we're making this poo poo up as we go)

Do you know that for sure? I haven't seen a definitive answer anywhere on whether the 4g surcharge is needed on SERO Premium plans for the iPhone.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Matlock posted:

Hah, just saw Amazon post on FB about the SGSIIE4T. It's $99 for new signups, and $149 for renewals.

Seems like an obvious ploy post-iPhone4s, but it's a crazy good looking phone :swoon:

I'm hoping they drop the price on the arrive :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Duckman2008 posted:

What the other dude said, also keep in mind Google voice is free texting over WIFI. Emphasis on wifi, data roaming rates are atrocious so avoid Google voice or anything over 3g at all costs.

Texts in Canada are normal rate!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Drevoak posted:

Looks like Sprint is officially killing off unlimited Mobile Broadband and Hotspot in November. Link

lol
Tags :

bad business
bait and switch
Cancel without ETF
Dont be evil
Get out of ETF
grandfather ppl plz
how do I get rid of
material change etf
MiFi
overdrive pro
unlimited 4g
verizon pricing

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Always listen to your mom.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
When you've had the handset replaced did they replace the battery too, or use the same one?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I asked about the battery because if the contacts were bad it would make a lot of sense for the issue to persist despite replacing the phone itself. What about the battery cover? Do they change that? Just trying to think of anything that would stay the same, you never know...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Duckman2008 posted:

This is fantastic:

network.sprint.com

Track what sprint is doing network wise in your area.

Is that all the towers? Or just ones getting upgrades?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Alright that's what I was thinking since I didn't see that many towers in some areas.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Some phones and things are more picky about their chargers. My Kindle won't charge properly with a cheapo noname wall charger.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have an Arrive and like it so far. I've only had it 3 days though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

falz posted:

The ear speaker went out on my Evo Shift and I got it replaced. One issue I had on the old phone was MMS never worked, send or recieve. If i recieve an MMS I get a 'download' form button but clicking on it never does anything. I expected this issue to go away when I got a new phone but it didn't.

My old and new phones are both running CM7, which should have functional MMS. Is something possibly wedged within Sprint's network?

This started happening on my HTC Arrive. My account also de-integrated itself with Google Voice so I assume it's related.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Breaky posted:

:unsmith:

Thanks very much for the replies. I may just wait until the post-xmas EVO3D pricedrop in this case.

Don't forget to check out the HTC Arrive, it is a nice Windows phone. If it's specifically *Google* Maps you want and not just any map software, then the Android phones are a better choice, of course. There is a Google Maps app that somebody made for Windows Phone but it won't be as fancy as the Android version.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I'll be going to St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, two weeks from today and I'll be there four days. I guessing they have coverage there since my friend got an Epic 4G Touch at a Sprint store there. So I guess my question is do I have to do anything in terms of roaming, or is everything the same there as it is here in the US?

It shows up on their coverage map. When I was in Hawaii I had to do a PRI update though. If you have any trouble try that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
A few years ago, Verizon said they would activate any compatible phone. That claim was nothing but B.S.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Windows Phone 7 is a totally different operating system than Windows Mobile 6.5. it's actually programmed well and works! It's been smooth and bug free for me. I like it so far.
If you do pick one up, I recommend installing the Zune software and connecting the phone to the computer right away. That way you can install the "Mango" 7.5 update which brings a lot of improvements.
That being said, I still picked up insurance this time, as having so many hardware problems with an HTC Titan and Touch Pro, I still don't know if I trust stuff not to break(in the hardware sense).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cage posted:

Just in case anyone else was wondering, I emailed E-care about 3G phones and the $10 smartphone fee.

Great to hear, definitely buying an Arrive today. Which I could get one in store though.

You can, but it has to be a "corporate" store. That means, on the store finder webpage, it does not say "Sprint Store by XYZ," just Sprint Store. They just call in the 1-800 number and switch you to premium there, and they should be able to take care of you.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Blakkout posted:

To be clear, phone upgrades can only be used if you're signing up for a new plan, which they won't let us SERO people do unless we swap to another plan, correct?

My exposure to Window's OS is limited to my terrible time with the Touch Pro 1 (which is what I'm currently using). If the best options on the $40 SERO are the Marquee and Arrive, I think I'll try my hand at this Android thing. Is the Hero an Android? Can I buy my choice phone anywhere, so long as it's a Sprint phone? My issue is that without the $150 credit, I'll be getting rapped on dealing directly with Sprint. The Marquee is going to run me $350 directly from Sprint.

Thanks again.

The Arrive and Windows Phone really are nothing like the old phones. I understand if your experience is really soured though. I upgraded from a Touch Pro myself and love the Arrive. I've had it for two weeks now, so I've found enough that I'd like to have done differently, but I think any phone will be like that. Anyway, if you still don't want to try it, what is wrong with the LG Marquee? The hero is old and slow and people seem to complain about it all the time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cage posted:

On my old touch pro 2 the battery status light would blink when the screen was off if I had a text/voicemail/whatever waiting for me. The same status light on my arrive doesnt do this currently, is there a way I can do this? Its kind of annoying to have to keep hitting the power button to check my texts. (I deliver for fedex so I just leave my phone in the truck)

Only for missed calls.

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...ail-s?ref=title

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

oxbrain posted:

If you use GV integration you can do texts through that on an airrave.

I've actually had issues with texts being significantly delayed with the Google Voice integration. I disabled it for that reason.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

halokiller posted:

Does anyone know what's the deal with text messages arriving days later? That's happened to me a couple of times already. (one which involved half of a text coming in days later after the first half)

Any way this is fixable?

I had problems like this when I had Google Voice integration enabled. Disappointing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

tijag posted:

The One X is different.

People always say this about the new phone. Then they come back later complaining how it's slow or the ROM is never updated or....
Nothing ever changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't think so. It was supposed to be a feature but never got enabled. Or something... the hardware is there for WiFi hotspots.