Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

hoonchops posted:

I understand how you could arrive at this conclusion, but how on earth could sprint cancel your account AND give your device a new number? Surely its more likely the port request would cancel your account and service. Then you're stuck with your google voice account using your former-sprint number, but no actual cell service to forward calls to.

unless this is what you wanted in the first place?
the problem is that he's talking about porting as it exists now, rather than the forthcoming sprint /Google integration. the tech details on that aren't fully known yet, it's only in press release stage at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

TLG James posted:

It seems like the Nexus will be out by the end of the month. I really don't think I'd use most of the Evo's features and 4g is no where close to my city.

I actually want a Pre 3 but HP seems to willingly lock up information.
The nexus s is also 4g.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Cozmosis posted:

My biggest concern looking at the EVO 3D would be battery life. It does have a much, much needed 1700 mAh, but people are having battery troubles (albeit very few) with the Atrix occasionally, so HTC's track record bothers me in that regard. I hope it is adequate for the device. I was already burned by the Thunderbolt once.
Atrix is motorola, but I'll end the suspense and tell you right now: battery life won't be the evo3d's selling point.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

goku chewbacca posted:

None of you are enrolled in automatic payments to avoid the $4.99 account spending limit charge? At what point between your usual bill issue date and due date does the payment charge to your card?

I'm not in this group, but automatic payments happen on your due date.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

jaku78 posted:

Am I the only one having trouble imagining what the EVO 3D can do over the Nexus S in terms of power? Besides burning the battery without a clocking program (which, the EVO3D might unfortunately have no access to depending on root). I mean I've seen a samsung epic run even PSX games pretty stable. I don't see the point in having that much power unless you want to just impress somebody.

EDIT: That is true. Haha, but I doubt from my experiences with PS2 emulators that even the 3D couldn't run a pretty big library of games stably for PS2.
So don't buy one, and don't complain next year when your phone runs ___________ like poo poo and you still have 10 months left before your upgrade.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Mistikman posted:

When left plugged into the charger, the charge lasts about 24 hours or so. It charges up to full then slowly starts draining, while plugged in.

That's hosed up.

Dump the task killer. Android is smarter than that crap these days.

There's really nothing you can do about that battery life, though, short of getting an airave or going full-on black hat and prl swapping. You can follow all the niggling tips you like about widgets and screen brightness and whatnot, but when you're dropping in and out of coverage nonstop, it's the cell radio that's eating all that power.

I have spotty coverage at home, too, and my battery life here isn't much better, but since my charger works properly, and it gets 3-4 times that out where there's coverage, it's not much of an issue.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
My concern is that, while porting my cell # to gv makes for seamless integration now, it is only so through sprint-specific and android-specific capabilities. Switching away from either of those would be problematic.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

jeeves posted:

Stuck with contract questions:

Will they let my import my previous ATT number back to them? I've had the same number since I originally had sprint in 2003, it got imported to ATT in 2006, and I am wondering if the forcing you to do a contract counts towards that too, or just if you need a new number?

Or does ATT even loving allow porting of their numbers once they get their hooks on it to other carriers?

Of course AT&T allows porting.

You're stuck signing a contract for a new account no matter what (save for one horrible plan), and I strongly doubt having been a customer 5 years ago will affect that.

I'd consider the nexus s over the evo, too.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ninmeister posted:

For anyone in the Buffalo NY area, some pockets of 4G service have come up in spotty parts of Niagara County and an area of east Buffalo. I hope it gets better. Its right in my neighborhood but doesn't work what so ever in my house. I'm not sure why I would expect that.

Well, hot drat. Looks like those bastards will probably get me for a 4g phone this summer after all.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Yeah, Google isn't helping anyone work with multiple GV accounts. I have a second GV number, and it won't let me attach my cell # to both unless neither has it listed as a cell (as opposed to home / work), and only cells can receive forwarded texts.

(Of course, since those texts are pushed to my phone via both gmail and the GV app, it's not much of a problem.)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Matlock posted:

Or $0.01/$17 activation at Wal-Mart.
... if walmart carries sprint in your area, that is.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

But Sprint corporate stores can touch the accounts, right? How would one find a corporate store?

Use the store locater on sprint.com. Corporate stores will be listed as 'Sprint Store'. Third party will be 'Sprint Store by Whatever Wireless'.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Alman posted:

Blogs are blowing up about some analyst's remarks about the next iPhone coming to Sprint and T-Mobile. I guess he's saying it's called the iPhone 4S, and it will ship without LTE support but will have HSPA+ enabled which gives AT&T and T-Mobile some marketing leverage over Verizon and Sprint. Either way, to those Sprint people who are jonesing for an iOS device, it may be coming this fall.

http://gizmodo.com/5801860/lte+free-backup-plan-iphone-4s-could-land-this-september

This sounds sketchy as hell, but I'd be psyched to see it. "support for sprint and t-mobile" is an odd way to phrase that, considering they'd have to be different models, but this isn't vetted language. Not having 4g on a flagship device doesn't sound like apple or sprint, but then again, calling it the 4s instead of 5 would be the way to do that, and sprint would probably take anything apple gives them.

Samsung 'Within'? That may literally be the worst product name I've ever heard.

WoG fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 16, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

nate fisher posted:

It was until I read the words Verizon "Function". That takes the cake. They can call it whatever they want as long as they don't change the look and form of the phone.

If they market it as 'Galaxy Within', it's interesting and parses as language, but it's still bizarre for a product. 'Galaxy Function', though....

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

I'm starting to lose control on my monthly bill and have quite a large outstanding balance that I'm having a hard time paying right now. My 2 year contract is up in February, but I'm wondering if it will be more beneficial to just try and jump ship (to my parents much cheaper plan on Verizon) and pay the outstanding balance over time. Can something like this be done or am I going to have to wait to port my number over after my balance is paid. I have like a $700 balance right now lol
Not a sprint employee, but in general, I don't believe cell companies will port out numbers from accounts with delinquent balances.

(I'm also a bit curious how the line is still active -- a few years ago, due to being broke one month and absent-minded the next, I missed two consecutive due dates, and got a nasty email very quickly threatening disconnection in 10 days. Maybe it was an empty threat, but oddly specific if it was.)

So much chatter about the iphone 4s now. I was looking forward to the evo3d sometime this summer, but if the iphone's only 3 months away, that's a tough call. Now to hope they'll show off some hardware at wwdc in june, and not just ios5.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

OptimusMatrix posted:

Why anyone would go with a slightly updated iphone over the Evo3d is beyond me. Unless you're already on an iphone and you've got lots of money tied up in IOS.

Well, you're looking at pretty comparable hardware, assuming the rumored 4s specs are true. Higher res screen, better 2d camera, and slimmer, nicer design for the the iphone vs 4g, 3d, microsd, larger screen*, and faster proc** on the evo. If I'm missing something key, and your point isn't really just, "why anyone would go with ios over android is beyond me," let me know.

*though how much larger is unknown, since since the 'prototype' iphone pics with edge-to-edge display might be the 4s, the 5, or bullshit.
**there won't/can't be any real comparison between the snapdragon and the a5, but they're probably within spitting distance.

I've had an android phone for about 2 months and an ios device (touch 4) for 5, so I have no major allegiance and similar (negligible) amounts of money tied up in their respective markets.

Yes, potential upsides for me, personally, are that not having 4g would save me 10/mo, and flipping a touch would net a lot more money than an optimus, but this is all just hypothetical until we see anything concrete.

WoG fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 23, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

OptimusMatrix posted:

You're going to pay that 10 dollars regardless of 4g or not. It's added on to all smartphones nowadays.
Not sero premium, unless sprint jumps back into the exception game. I should have specified that, I guess, but I put it in the 'personal' section instead of the comparison.

Also, yes, I should have added 4g to the evo's advantages. Clear did finally put up some token towers covering 2% of my area (nowhere near me, at the moment), but the coming months will also hopefully bring some new information on whether 4g might be usable soon.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

XenoWolf posted:

So I just found something sneaky out. Apparently, Sprint charges $0.20/min for *incoming* forwarded calls. This means that if I forward my home phone to my Sprint phone, calls to my home phone cost me $0.20 on my Sprint bill. There isn't a way around this according to a Sprint rep I spoke to, not even with an Unlimited plan. What the hell, Sprint?
Forward your land line to a google voice number, which in turn directs it to your cell for free?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Shady business going on in the Sprint thread.

re: $900 world phone, if only businesses are gonna buy it anyway, why not tack on an extra few hundred?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

McPhearson posted:

I could have sworn I read in the TOS that 4g is really unlimited, but 3g is capped at 5gb a month. But now that I go and read it again I cant find that anymore, maybe they changed it.

Edit: In the fine print at the EPRP site it says, "Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming.", but the actual TOS just says, "We reserve the right to limit, suspend or constrain any heavy, continuous data usage that adversely impacts our network performance". Crazy vague, maybe one of these people who works for sprint can clarify.
Not a sprint rep or anything, but from what I gather, 5gb is a hard cap for laptop cards and whatnot, but strictly cell plans aren't hard capped. That's written into the fine print so they can boot you if you go insane with data, but I've read reports of users with several gigs of roaming data per month who never got one complaint about it.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

pragan4 posted:

What's the story with using my Airave's upgrade for a phone? Does Sprint allow that and will there be any unexpected surprises if I do?

Duckman sez: I do recommend avoiding using the "upgrade eligibility" on the Microcell line to get you a new phone, its a bit taboo for Sprint and risks opening a can of worms at some point.

Sounds to me like--even if it happens too infrequently for them to have put checks in their automated systems to stop it--if anyone ever took a close look at your account, you'd be in violation of some small print somewhere and get hosed.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
It's getting a lot of discussion here, so for the sake of reminding people of the oddly strict requirements, you need to go to the switch-to-sprint website and register for your credit within 72 hours of activating your new phone.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
So who's got predictions on how far that market value will tank when the 3d drops and every third evo's being flipped simultaneously?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

jaku78 posted:

Most people hear 3D in the name and immediately say gently caress this phone it will burn battery life on an EVO to match and it will be a bitch to turn it off said feature without trying to find out more information.
Most people hear 3D in the name and think, "Ooooh, 3D!"

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

It made more sense back before all smartphones got the :10bux: - you had $30 SERO for dumbphones / WinMo 6.5, $40 SERO-P for non-premium smartphones that actually do things, and $50 SERO-P plus Premium for the Evo and Epic.

Today, it pretty much means:

$30/mo: Cell phone retirement home
$40/mo: Replenish sits here all alone
$50/mo: If you buy anything that is not an Evo or a Nexus you are doing it wrong

This isn't quite right. When sprint decided to apply the premium data fee to all smartphones instead of just 4g (a few months ago), that's the change that doesn't apply to sero.

Sero is:
$30 -- dumbphones/winmo6
$40 -- 3g smartphones
$50 -- 4g smartphones

I'm paying 40 for an optimus right now, and that's not a grandfathered rate (aside from sero itself, that is); I got it after all these changes went down.

The replenish is 40, and the advertised 'green discount' is redundant for sero users, since that premium data fee is already waived for all 3g phones. 'Sero-Premium' is unrelated, predates the 'premium data' fee by a year or two, and no android phone is exempt.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Alman posted:

does that mean my upgrade eligibility would be reset?
Since this seems to be the heart of that question, can't you just look up your date online, or text 'upgrade' to 1311?

(It seems unlikely that they'd have overlooked that, though.)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

Both the keyboards on the 3D suck after using Swype 3.0 on the Evo...Anyone had any luck getting that beta installed?
If it comes preinstalled, you'll need to remove the system apk, then the beta installer will work fine. This will almost certainly require waiting until it's rooted (then it's one click in, eg, TiBackup).

The swype beta does work better than the old version, but I don't see any advantages over flext9 (perhaps the most useful free amazon app I've grabbed).

WoG fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 23, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

diospadre posted:

How can you even fit anything in your pocket along with an Evo? Unless It's 1997 and you're wearing cargo pants.
Be careful around this thread. Any hint of wearing properly fitted clothing just leads to a lot of homophobic chest thumping.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

MrDingleDangle posted:

Sorry if this has been answered in this thread, I have done my best to look through a lot of the pages and read the first post, but its a long thread

I am on a family plan and no one has smart phones but I am eligible for an upgrade and want to get the EVO 3D. From what I have found there is no way to get any sort of discounted plan

I dont have employment at anyplace that has a discount and since I already have sprint I can't get EPRP

So my only options seem to be

Stay with Current Plan and no smart phone-

My current family plan is $69.99 base for 2 phones plus $9.99 for the additional 2 phones and $5*2 for messaging on 2 phones for a total of $100 for 4 people.

Upgrade to a smart phone and stay on family plan-
If I switch to a smart phone our base would go up to 129.99 + 19.99*2 for each additional line + 10*4 for data for each phone (even though I would be the only one who has the smart phone), for a total of $199.96, so if I am the only one who wants a smart phone and stay on a family plan it would increase $100 a month!

Upgrade and get individual plan-
minimum of the $69.99 plan + $10 a month for the phone.

As a current sprint user (cant get EPRP) I dont really have any other options correct?
For one thing, the premium data charge would be $10 for one smartphone, not 10*4. As for your base and line charges doubling, it sounds quite wrong, but I'm not a sprint guy, so someone else can confirm/deny.

If you did break out on an individual plan, you could get eprp, but I doubt it's your cheapest option.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'm a Verizon customer looking to switch to Sprint soon and I have a few questions.

Is there any way to get 1yr contracts or is it all 2yr now on Sprint too?
If I use an employee discount to purchase the plan, what happens when I leave that company?
Is there any information on Sprint potentially moving to tiered data like Verizon, or is it more likely to be a T-Mobile-esque "throttling"?
Disclaimer: not affiliated with sprint, so none of this is official.

1. Only 2 year contracts. New customers have a 30 day no-questions full-refund guarantee, though, so you'll have a few weeks to test, and once that contract is up, you're welcome to stay off contract forever (I've been off contract for like 3 years), as long as you forgo upgrade discounts.
2. Assuming you're talking about getting an employer discount off your individual plan, and not signing up through some corporate account or something, the official answer is that you have to inform sprint that you've left, and they remove the discount. The unofficial answer is that you don't, and they don't, and enjoy your permanent discount.
3. No, there's no information. The premium data fee is supposed to head this sort of thing off, and all sprint's spectrum deals over the last few years have left it in a position to have shitloads of (theoretical) data capacity, compared to the other carriers, but come on -- they'll do whatever they want as soon as they think they can make more money that way.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
My 3D keeps freezing up, usually on Words with Friends, and most recently in Gmail using Swype. Is this a regular Android thing, or should I worry that something might be wrong?

I don't think WwF crashing is the phone's fault. Maybe they've improved it since the first release, but that thing locked up my optimus more frequently and thoroughly than any application before or since.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

letsgoflyers81 posted:

My biggest issue is the 4x4 grid on the homescreen. There's so much wasted space it's ridiculous. The layout hasn't been updated since the HVGA screen of the Hero.
When you're designing a touchscreen interface, the concern is the size of the icons, not the resolution they contain. Screens now are only marginally larger than they were two years ago.

Use widgetsoid and make your own custom shortcut layouts, if you want to stick with rosie.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

traveling midget posted:

Paid apps will be listed as "Purchased". Free apps you downloaded in the past won't appear. That's a limitation of HTC Sense.
I believe that's just how the android market works, not some sense modification.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

td4guy posted:

Anything over 300MB of roaming and Sprint will likely terminate your service. But I think I once calculated that that would take 18 hours of nonstop downloading at the 1xRTT speeds you're limited to. So it's really a non-issue.
That may be the 'official' figure, but in shadier places where people hack their prls to, eg, prefer Verizon towers, they report regularly hitting a couple gigs of roaming data per month without complaint.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

f#a# posted:

On topic and concerning my problem, however, I found this here pretty comprehensive comparison: PocketNow's Samsung Galaxy S II vs. HTC Evo 3D.

Sheesh. Maybe I will hold out.
On paper, the Epic matched nicely against the Evo 4g, too. I truly do hope samsung has gotten their poo poo together and the sprint sgs2 will be amazing, but anyone hitching their wagon based on a just a spec sheet is a fool.

I'm probably holding out for the nexus 3 either way, though.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

vwman18 posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my Pre in the very near future. I'm really interested in the Arrive right now. Does Sprint tack on the $10 premium data fee onto my SERO premium for this phone?
No, the arrive doesn't have 4g.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

traveling midget posted:

It's probably SD-card related. The guy at Sprint told me it needs to be at least class 6 (or 4?) (I can't remember which) for 3D to work properly but 4/6 aren't that particularly fast to begin with, especially with rapid-fire photos.

Sure, saving large photos to a slow card will slow things down, but if the app allows that to cause lock-ups/FCs, that app is hosed up. I'd bet you could replicate the same issue with a class 10 if you went nuts with it.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Doctor Claw posted:

So, I took my phone in to get repaired and they just wiped it and did a manual Gingerbread install to fix my force close/battery life/connection issues.

So far, my phone seems to be doing alright, but when I inquired about the battery only lasting 4-5 hours since Gingerbread, the Sprint tech told me: "The EVO 4G really only gets about 6 hours to a charge." to which I immediately replied "I've had my phone since launch and used to get about 14-18 hours of regular use out of it on one charge." He shook his head and told me to have a good day.

EVO 4G users - how long can you go between charges with regular use?
I don't need to be a 4g owner to tell you that tech was full of poo poo.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Myrddin Emrys posted:

That's one of the richest areas in the country?
"Williamson County is ranked among the wealthiest counties in the country. In 2006 it was the 11th wealthiest county in the country according to the U.S. Census Bureau, but the Council for Community and Economic Research ranked Williamson County as America's wealthiest county (1st) when the local cost of living was factored into the equation with median household income." -wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

noapparentfunction posted:

I'm on Sprint and good for an upgrade so I'm diving headfirst into Android for the first time. The Nexus S is grabbing my attention because it's stock Android (first to get updates), nice specs, and it's on sale for $99. It even has that weird NFC stuff I'd be interested in tinkering with. I think this is the one I want.

Is there any good reason I shouldn't buy this and opt for one of Sprint's steroid-addled megaphones instead?
Well, you'd be signing a two year contact for last year's nexus.

You already know the arguments for and against, what are you expecting to hear?