Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
When I finally convert my number to a GV number, does that mean I can assign my Sprint line with a new number? And I'll be able to take my original number to another carrier, should I so desire, without canceling my Sprint account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Ozmodiar posted:

If you do a FULL PORT to Google Voice, it essentially makes Google the "owner" of your number instead of Sprint (like if you ported from Sprint to Verizon, for instance).

Lets say your current Sprint number is 555-555-5555, and you port it to Google Voice. You would then get a new number from Sprint (because any carrier MUST assign a phone number to your ESN number (or SIM card on GSM networks))...lets call this 444-444-4444. So, you would assign 444-444-4444 as one of your forwarding numbers in Google Voice, not bother to give any of your friends/family the 444-444-4444 number, and when people call 555-555-5555, it'll be like nothing ever changed as far as they're concerned.

If you do port your number to GV though, it will instantly cancel your current account with Sprint. It's no different than porting to another carrier.

I'm talking about the Google Voice integration thing that Sprint announced.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sure but I don't do software builds, video encodes, or large number crunching on my phone. Outside of those applications there's nothing I do on my computer that requires dual core, and there's few things that see significant responsiveness improvement from it.

There was a fairly critical need for phones to get better/faster computationally up until the most recent generation, as previous devices simply weren't sufficient to do mobile web browsing as adequate as we would like them. At this point, Opera on my Epic runs well enough that at least 90% of sites I visit render timely and I have no browsing issues with them. I don't imagine the type of sites I'd want to visit on my phone are going to get significantly more complicated over the next two years, given they haven't over the past five or six. Multitasking maybe, but again, I don't really see my multitasking habits changing too dramatically.

As always, mobile gaming will probably be the first big push of mobile multicore. So the real question is, how much do you game?

You aren't forward thinking at all. Look at the Atrix. You take your phone, and you make it a laptop. Obviously there's always a need to make better and faster phones because eventually you won't even need a home computer. It will just be your phone.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Nevermind.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Erhm, I'm not really defending Sprint, nor do I really care about TOS. I just think it's a jerkbag move to abuse their service in a way that costs them significant money (real money, not fantasy money they would have gotten if everyone who once tethered paid up for the plan). Note that I'm not claiming that brc64, in his particular circumstance, was/is a jerkbag.

I don't have a problem with this.

I used to get 0-2 bars on Sprint on my Diamond in my house. When I enabled roaming only, I got 4 bars. Also, any time I got 0 bars, my Diamond would turn the screen on for no other reason than to remind me how lovely my service was. Additionally, it also wasted my battery life by searching for a stronger signal while increasing radiation. I use about 60 minutes a month. Am I one of those jerkbags abusing the system, maaaan?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

brc64 posted:

Forget taboo, I didn't even think it was possible to use upgrade eligibility on an Airave (or Airvana, I guess) line. Wouldn't that effectively kill your Airave's service?

I would assume that you don't have to put the phone on the Airave line. You would just put it on your own line or eBay it or whatever.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

How much data d you 4g people tend to use. I was pretty sure I was going to jump onto my sister's family plan at ATT once the new iPhone came out, but the 2 gig limit is worrying me more and more. Especially if the new iPhone has HSPA+, those 2 gigs will get used up pretty quickly. This is making me lean toward getting a 3D Evo, despite me not really liking Android as a platform. The monthly cost of each will be within $5 of each other, so pricing isn't really an issue. My main concern is that data usage for me is only going to go up, especially considering faster internet, more applications that use it, and higher quality streaming video. I really like Apple's hardware,and iOS just seems so much smoother. Any suggestions or comments to help me make a decision?

Oh, I also tend to thing that ATT is an evil company.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

In all seriousness, what's wrong with Windows Phone 7 (meaning if you don't like Android but like the iPhone, Windows may be an option)?

Edit: Google Voice with Sprint Integration launches April 26th.

I want a 4G phone to take advantage of the 4G in my area. Also, I'm not the social networking person Microsoft wants me to think I am.

zeek40 posted:

You probably want to find someone local who has a 4g sprint phone to see if you can even get 4g where you live and work.

Someone said it a few pages back, and it's proven accurate in my limited experience in 4G cities (orlando and atlanta). Sprint's 4g coverage maps show places that you might be able to get a 4g signal if you're lucky, not places that you will be likely to get a 4g signal.

My brother has an Evo and is able to get 4G where I live. I still have to check if I get it at work.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

heat posted:

If you switch to Sprint there is no data cap. That might help.

It doesn't. I already have Sprint.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Alman posted:

I know this is super lame, but you should send an e-mail to dan @ sprint.com and tell them your story. They'll make sure retentions and sometimes even the person who helped you get recognized. I'm not sure how they handle raises but it might even help them with merit increases or short term incentive bonuses.

Wouldn't they get in trouble for not following Sprint's insurance policy? I mean, it's good for this guy, but it's hurting Sprint's bottom line.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Is there any real advantage to preordering online versus a walkin store? I don't think I can dodge sales tax via online so it seems better to just do the swap in person and not risk having the package get delayed and my current phone shut off.

How would your phone get shut off?

edit: When did Sprint start taking pre-orders for the Nexus S compared to when they started selling it? If that's an indicator, we might have a rough gauge of how soon the Evo 3D is coming out.

d[-.-]b fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 14, 2011

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Wonderllama posted:

Yeah but it's uhhh....not working at all at the moment. Anyone wanna sell me a phone?

Use craigslist or ebay for some lovely phone like a Centro.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Getting antsy waiting on an announcement about the Evo 3D.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Do EPRP plans get that extra $10 smartphone fee? So the $60 plan will actually be $70?

As far as the Everything Plus Messaging plan goes, it's $40 for 500 minutes and unlimited texting with no data. What would be the best phone to take advantage of this plan?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

How worried should I be if I want an Evo 3D on release day, haven't pre-ordered yet, and live in central NJ? I really hate going to that drat store.

There shouldn't be any problems upgrading in store for a SERO Premium account, right?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Are rebates still instant?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Ahahahahah oh my god. I put a little piece of tape under my battery and my Touch Pro is fixed. I can't believe I didn't try that before. It doesn't even look like the battery is loose but I guess the contacts are bad or something.

Just because the battery is working doesn't mean it's fixed. Sorry, guy.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

CharlesM posted:

It does not randomly shut off when knocked anymore. The problem turned out to be the battery. It would shut off if you tap it hard enough. I guess the contacts are worn or something.

I was just implying that it's a really lovely phone.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Shed posted:

Don't you love it when we do that? ;)

Also, people are still gonna buy the EVO 4G because they "don't want 3D." Not everyone is going to realize there's a toggle for it despite it being pretty well documented.

The toggle is for the camera.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Adun posted:

How does the size compare to the iPhone? It's the only touchscreen phone I've had any experience with but it seems to be about just the right size. Are there any good phones on Sprint that are more that size?

The Nexus S would probably be a good fit. It has some issues with bugs, though.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Never trust a Sprint CSR, they fixed it in the past hour or so :) I'm checking out right now!

http://www.sprint.com/ftbredbud29

Sick, I'm on SERO-P, with no reason for this to have worked for me, but I was able to order one anyway. I am neither Silver or Gold.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

So Sprint was offering me some kind of extra credit for me for upgrading a phone, which they noted on my account for when I actually upgraded. Now that I have, what do I have to do in order to claim it? It was some additional credit beyond the normal 2 year upgrade, for $50 I think.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

"Status: We were in the process of receiving inventory for the EVO 3D at our warehouse, so your order, or a portion of your order, may temporarily show in a backorder status. This will not change our delivery commitment to you and you can continue to expect your EVO 3D to arrive within 2 to 5 business days based on date of order. If you have any questions, please call 866-789-8292 between 8:00 a.m. EST to 11:00 p.m. EST Monday to Friday or 9:00 a.m. EST to 9:00 p.m. EST on Saturdays and Sundays."

From my order status page.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

900ftjesus posted:

Today it's only available for Premier Silver and Gold customers. If you're a new customer (EPRP or otherwise), there's no way you can get it until Friday since you can't be a Premier customer out of the gate.

This isn't exactly true. Lots of non Premier people have been ordering it (myself included).

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Can't even get 4G in my house, but loving the 3D so far. Except for the actual 3D part of the 3D. Fastest I've ever gotten a headache. And I didn't even get to try out the Green Hornet movie. It threw up some error about not having enough licenses or something.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Maybe I'm retarded, but how do you close applications?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

a shameful boehner posted:

Just back out or hit home. Android closes apps automatically when it needs memory for a new task, essentially.

You sure? Google Maps stayed open after I hit the home button, which kept my GPS and compass active.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Coming from a palm pre, this phone is ridiculously smooth and lag free. It'll take a while to get used to touchscreen typing, but I'm loving the sheer size of this.

It was kind of pathetic when the evo3d offered to sync with the other phone to pull contacts over bluetooth, and palm wasn't one of the listed manufacturers :V

I think it was more because you can't pair with a Pre over bluetooth. My 3D actually saw and tried to pair with the Pre, but it seemed like the Pre shut that down asap.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Strontosaurus posted:

Is there a solution for the "radio interface resource shortage" error on the 3D? It's been popping up every few minutes since I got the phone this morning. Apparently it's keeping me from texting.

I had that when I first got it. I haven't seen it since.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Is the media speaker volume really low for anyone else? I have it at the highest setting, and it's still lower than my Pre was. And speakerphone seems to be really quiet, too.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

My 3D keeps freezing up, usually on Words with Friends, and most recently in Gmail using Swype. Is this a regular Android thing, or should I worry that something might be wrong?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Now my swype isn't even showing the path when I trace out words. It seems something has gone wrong with it for some reason. No one else is having any out these problems?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

sonicice posted:

Have you guys had any issues with the screen becoming non-responsive? Everything works on the unlock screen and I can unlock it, but I can barely do anything else. App menu/Phone/Customize buttons work, but once I'm in those menus, I can't do anything else. I can hit the menu capacitive button and get into any of those areas, but once I'm in there nothing else works. Search button brings up the list of previous searches, but then I can't click on any of them. Restarting the phone brings full functionality back, but it's happened multiple times now.

Yes, it's been happening to me more and more. I thought once I left windows mobile I wouldn't have to deal with stuff like this happening anymore. My pre never completely locked up like this before. If the 3D didnt reboot so quickly, I'd probably be pretty angry. It's still very annoying though.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

change my name posted:

Just got my 3d and I'm actually posting from it now. First thoughts: the screen is beautiful, and everything just seems so intuitive, even if that's more of an android thing. The keyboards are great, even the portrait one. I definitely like the dedicated button that hides the keyboard. Everything seems super smooth and fast, and the 3d is cool even if I have to hold the phone at arms length straight out for it to work.

Dislikes? I keep rubbing the camera pod no matter how I'm trying to hold the phone. Also the wobbling when you lay it down is gonna drive me loving bonkers. Also the voice to speech screen keeps popping up when I hold it sideways, does anyone know why?

You're hitting the little Q button when you shift from portrait to landscape, I'd guess. What do you mean by "dedicated button that hides the keyboard"?

You shouldn't have to hold the phone far away to make it work, unless you have like, fish eyes or something.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

I have a symbol at the top right of my phone that appeared the other day, and I don't know where it came from or what it means. It looks something like an ear (either that or a fetus) with sound waves coming out of it. It's to the left of the GPS icon with a slash through it.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

Sounds (har har) like the hearing aid compatibility icon, though showing it as disabled which is odd. Go into Settings>Call and see if the box is checked next to Hearing Aids. Is your in-call volume suddenly a lot louder?

I have it on, but even when it's off, the symbol is still there. The GPS symbol is the one with the slash through it, not the ear.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

The GPS icon shouldn't ever display unless something is actively calling it, and even then it never displays with a slash through it that I'm aware of. What phone do you have?

Evo 3d, and I remember the icons not displaying when I first got the phone, but they started displaying for done reason.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Octavian posted:

Yes, and it doesn't help. No matter how I focus my eyes, it doesn't work.

And for the record, I do wear glasses (tried it on and off) and I've never had a problem with any other form of 3d image or movie.

You don't have to focus your eyes. It's not a magic eye, it's a screen with a parallax barrier.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Has anyone else tried converting 3d movies for playback on the Evo 3d? I can get side by side (sbs) 3d movies to work, but stereoscopic videos just play in 2d. If I force it in 3d, it seems to split the frames and display them side by side but in the completely wrong manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Anyone else getting this bug on their Evo 3D? When I hit the power button, sometimes the lock screen will show only half of it. The bottom half of the lock screen will appear on the top half of the screen. On the bottom half of the screen, there is only black. I still unlock the phone by swiping up on the bottom half of the screen, though, not the top where the animation looks like I should swipe.