Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Is there a way to get google news to stop constantly loading and reloading, even after everything has finished loading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Evo 3d is pretty drat slim.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Appachai posted:

Not compared to the sgs 2 or iphone.

2-3 mm difference. I wear pretty slim jeans, and I have no problems with the thickness.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

traveling midget posted:

Does anyone have any issues with their Evo 3D's touchscreen being hypersensitive? I feel like it registers my touch before my finger actually hits the screen sometimes.

Mine does this, too.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Even if sprint does get the iphone, I highly doubt that it would have a wimax chip. My prediction is that the new iphone will be called the iphone 4s, since it will be faster. It probably won't be called the 4g because it would need to have 4g working on all carriers it's launching on. I think it'll have evdo/hspa+, which will be allowed because Apple isn't the one marketing hspa+ as 4g. This will allow the next iphone to be called the iphone 4g once every carrier has lte and favorablebattery life with the chip enabled.

No matter what the scenario, I just don't see Apple making a wimax iphone.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

brc64 posted:

Does the Evo 3D have any snazzy DLNA features built in for easy sharing with DLNA-enabled TVs?

It does. I shared a 3d movie over wifi to my brother in law's panasonic viera 3d via his ps3. If you go to the video you want to share and hit the menu button, then go to select player, the phone will find compatible technology pretty flawlessly.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

fyallm posted:

When I click the wand it just says polarize. Am I an idiot? Is there a tutorial on how to take pictures

After the picture has already been taken, that's when you tap the wand.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Tony Danza posted:

Use the back button instead of the home key?

But then you have to go back through every page you've ever been to since the beginning of the session.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

So Engadget reviewed the Photon. I don't understand why they hate the Evo 3D so much. They call the Photon Sprint and Motorola's best phone yet, while calling the 3D disappointing, and saying "Instead of trying to wow us with a gimmicky 3D camera, it differentiates itself by being Sprint's first global phone with WiMAX, and as such supports CDMA / EV-DO for North America along with GSM / HSPA for the rest of the world."

They admit that the Photon is a slower phone, has a lovely Pentile qHD screen, and doesn't have some amazing camera. So what amazing features does it have that place it above the 3D, which has a faster processor? It's 1) .9 mm wider, 2) has a kickstand, 3) is a worldphone, and 4) doesn't have gimmicky 3D.

Engadget doesn't seem to understand that the 3D aspect is entirely optional.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

Has this been posted yet?

http://gizmofusion.com/2011/09/sprint-upgrading-existing-3g-coverage-area-to-evdo-rev-b-october-7th/

Just saw this linked on XDA in the Evo 3D forums, I hope to god it's true. Current 3G speeds are crap.

I really hope that's true. 4G here isn't worth poo poo.

Also, this will make the 3D amazing when they change the Nextel frequencies over to 3G.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Matlock posted:

At least they didn't get as burned as Verizon did with the Kin, haha.

I actually met someone who had a Kin. I didn't think any of them actually existed.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

One thing that keeps me coming back to a Sense based rom on my EVO 4G is the animated Sense clock. After you use an app and you hit the home button, the Sense clock briefly shows the time at the minute you opened the app, and then the clock flips to the current time. This allows me to know exactly how much time I spend on my phone every time I pick it up. I don't know if that sounds weird or stupid, but I love it. I have yet to find another clock widget that does this.

I always thought this was lag. You mean it's intentional?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

nate fisher posted:

https://twitter.com/androidandme/status/127472988848259074

A rumor but a good sign for Sprint and the Nexus Prime?

I hope this is ok to post since just a rumor.

It isn't. I'm sorry but you'll have to be banned now.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Ordered. Not expecting this to pan out at all, though.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I guess there's no way to know if it'll work on Sprint (chances are it won't). I'll be disappointed if it works and I'm the only sucker that didn't buy one.

Even if it doesn't, you can always sell it for profit. Though none of this matters since it won't work anyway.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Others have received it and confirmed it works.

Then why isn't this $400 off deal better known? Something just doesn't make sense to me.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Eyecannon posted:

Hmmm that network.sprint.com site is missing a little city called Los Angeles.

In the pulldown, at least.

I wouldn't say it's missing it, Bob.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Unplugged my Evo 3D at 7:30am today, used gps until 8:30, then did some browsing,texting, and gaming for the following two hours. I had 1-2 bars during this time. At 11:30am, my phone was at 5% battery. Is anyone else getting horrible battery life like this?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Are there any methods to break my contract without incurring an etf now or coming soon? Getting kind of tired of the incredibly slow data speeds and poor service.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Just a SERO premium account. I'd sell it, but I want to keep my number.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

tomguycot posted:

For those of you with Evo 3Ds out there, I checked and my phone had an update this evening that appears to remove Carrier IQ. I did a bit of googling and the results I found seem to indicate that this is the case. It also seems that the update improves battery life somewhat. No ICS though unfortunately which is what I was hoping for when it showed up, still the update seems like a definitely improvement.

Thanks for the heads up. Touch flo is way smoother now. Haven't had a chance to see if the battery is any better though.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

brc64 posted:

Has anybody else been having problems with their Evo 3D since the most recent update? Mine has crashed / rebooted at least three times since installing it, which it never did before. I am rooted, but I don't know if that's relevant.

Yeah, mines been running amazingly.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

IMJack posted:

Sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm just trying to figure out what the catch is.

They have lovely service. Good luck getting anywhere close to 5 gigs at the speeds you're going to be connecting at.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

WoG posted:

Depends entirely on your location. I use 7-8 gigs of 3g without much effort, and there are plenty of folks who use double that.

This is true, but I like being indoors and non-stationary while using data. I don't think location is going to improve building penetration any.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yes.

So many times yes.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I wouldn't carry it in the same pocket as your keys then.

I don't have a screen protector on my 3D, but I would never put it in the same pocket as my keys. My phone already got a scratch from putting it into my pocket carelessly. My jeans have those little circular metal things near the pockets, and I always put my phone in my pocket with the screen towards my leg so it gets cleaner when I take it in and out of my pocket.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't know how to answer that! I don't really pay attention what I put in which pocket so sometimes my phone inevitably ends up in the same pocket as my keys or random coins or whatever bits and pieces I have laying around. I guess I'll go ahead and invest in the screen protector. Better safe than sorry! :shobon:

Guy. Wallet and keys left pocket, phone right pocket.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

td4guy posted:

R.I.P. EVO Shift

Also Dan Hesse just tried to start a merger with MetroPCS, but the board said no.

The White Evo 3D is being EOL'd already?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

2G, 3G, and 4G sucks where I live, but I went to an city with amazing reception indoors and out for a weekend. It was like having a whole new phone. Battery lasted for forever. I could actually do the poo poo I expected to be able to do on my phone. And I was reliably pulling down like 12 mbps with 4G without losing signal.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Jensen posted:

I hold a couple of non-popular or seemingly against the grain opinions on smartphones. One of them is that I see absolutely zero benefit to having a heavier device, but many smartphone review sites and comments on forums seem to equate heavier with higher quality. As if the weight of the phone in your pocket is like the satisfying clunk of a german car door closing or something.

I hate how heavy and brick like the EVO 3D is. I want the lightest and thinnest device possible and I don't give a poo poo if they use plastic instead of metal to do it.

That does seem pretty against the grain. I couldn't care less how heavy it is unless it has the density of a dying star. Why does it matter how heavy it is?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Tough everywhere but the charging port. I'm on my 3rd Evo due to that failing on my first two.
They say that when the nymph Thetis built the Evo, she dipped the phone in the river Styx, making it invulnerable everywhere but where she held it, by the charging port.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

poxin posted:

I dropped my evo 3d a little while ago and it's been freaking out since. Random restarts, power button not functioning half the time, etc. My friend is willing to let me use her sprint upgrade on her account and I'll just pay her whatever the phone will be and fees. She doesn't have a smartphone plan (in fact her plan is pretty outdated and doesn't exist anymore) so is it possible to use her upgrade to get a smart phone but have it not change her plan at all and just activate it on my account?

Yes. Assuming the rebate is instant, nothing should change. If you have to fill out a rebate, though, you would be out the $150 since the phone has to be activated on that account for X amount of time for the rebate to process.

This info is based off of what I've read. I haven't actually tried it.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Anyone else's bill go up like $3 for governmental fees?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

r0ck0 posted:

I need a new phone, I have to give up my current original sprint Evo. I don't want to go back to 3g while waiting for LTE to roll out in the bay area. What is the best 4g wimax phone on sprint? I'm thinking either the samsung epic or the nexus S. The only thing I don't like about the samsung is it isn't on ICS. Wut do?

Is anyone running an ICS ROM on their samsung epic?
http://e4gtcm.blogspot.com/2012/04/cm9-alpha2-for-epic-4g-touch-now.html

Get a Nexus S and put ICS on it. No one ever will tell you to get an Epic.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

thisdude23 posted:

So, someone wants to trade their Nexus S for my Evo 4G. What are the pros and cons to this deal? Thanks.

You lose a kickstand, but gain a friend.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

From my understanding, NY requires taxes to be paid on the full amount of the cost of a plan, before any discounts are applied. So a $100 plan with 50% discount would be taxed as a $100 plan, doubling the taxes that should be paid. Sprint was collecting for the actual amount paid, which would be $50. This is fine for other states apparently, but NY is different. Supposedly, Sprint knew they were doing it incorrectly but decided to do it anyway.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I don't understand this sentiment. Do you ever stream music or video, download apps, skype/voip, tether? (All of which are at times painful if not unusable on 3g) If not, why do you need a smartphone? To check your email?

1. Can you never future quote again? It's really loving annoying.

2. It sounds like you're in a market where the 4G works and is reliable. It is not like that for many places.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Kase Im Licht posted:

Really interested in the Galaxy Nexus but am kind of confused about why I'm buying an LTE phone when there is no LTE. And won't be til possibly mid-2012 but that doesn't seem very firm and there's no actual definition of what mid-2012 means (some sites seem to think that means August).

But I'm still using a Moment so I'm about to shoot myself in the head if I don't buy something soon. Anything.

If you know when DC will get LTE that would be awesome.

I also feel silly buying an S2 when the next one comes out in less than a month. I know Sprint won't have it then but how long will it really take for them to get it?

Seriously why is there so little hard info in the mobile phone world?

If you're in DC, you should seriously just buy a Nexus S. DC is one of the best WiMax cities I've been to, so please stop torturing yourself with the Moment.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Surely the official Sprint ICS rom for the 3D is coming at least by the end of this month? I really don't want to do anything unofficial because the reason I left Windows Mobile is because roms are for suckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

atomicvocabulary posted:

I agree. They say the ICS release is imminent (They say a lot), May 28th is the day I hear. I have a brand new (an cheaply acquired off craigslist) 3D that I am really looking forward to having ICS and sense 4 on.
I watched a video on Engadget with some Sprint VPs who said ICS is coming to the 3D in June.