Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
You can't get any additional discounts with an EPRP plan(or order through Amazon.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Has anyone used both the Evo and Evo Shift? I'm thinking about trading my Evo for a new Evo Shift since it has CM7 now and was wondering how they compare in terms of battery life, etc. The Evo is slightly too big for me and I wouldn't mind having a hardware keyboard.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

brc64 posted:

:words:

900ftjesus posted:

I agree with brc64, the screen on the Shift seems tiny after the Evo. Performance wise, the Shift is a bit faster.

Thanks, I've decided to swap for the Shift this weekend. I'd rather have slightly faster phone with better battery life than a giant screen. Plus the Evo is too big for the pockets on my running shorts. Worst case I'm stuck with the Shift for 6 months until I get my premier gold upgrade and I've been stuck using crappier phones than that.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Swapped my Evo for a Shift today. Really happy with my decision so far. Only complaint I have is the speakerphone on the Shift isn't as loud.

Edit: and the kickstand.

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 24, 2011

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

So I guess I'll take the dive and merge my GV and Sprint #'s (I got a GV number long ago just because...never did anything with it.) What I'm most excited for is being able to do SMS on my PC easily when I'm at home, and getting SMS on my phone over wifi, since I get no signal at all at work.

Though it's my understanding that I have to use the GV app to do wifi SMS, I can't use Handcent? Should I just ditch Handcent all together? I would miss pop-up reply too much...

I only messed with it for an hour before I turned it off, but handcent stopped receiving any notifications. Google Voice uses data for SMS which is why I turned ot off for now.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Jensen posted:

You didn't mess with it long enough. There is a checkbox in Google Voice settings that sends the text to your normal SMS app. "Foward texts to phone" or some such.

Look, you guys can either use your normal SMS app, the GV app, or both. There is no downside to this, seriously.

If you use the GV app the texts get sent out over wifi. If you use your normal SMS app they get sent out over the 1xEVDO connection as they always have.

EITHER WAY, the texts all sync up perfectly in Google Voice.

Thanks. I'll definitely be switching it back on then. I was on my way out the door to catch a flight and spend the next 5 days driving across the country so I didn't want to chance it. Texting from the web is just way too convenient.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Alman posted:

Did anyone see this? :raise:

http://www.mobilebusinessbriefing.com/article/sprint-linked-to-data-pricing-strategy-switch-next-week

I'm not sure I believe this for two reasons - first, the "unlimited" ad campaign that was just run, and secondly, the whole point of the $10 was to preclude going to this system.

http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/05/03/sprint-set-to-introduce-tiered-data-for-mobile-broadband-steal/

Engadget is saying it's just for mobile broadband which is a lot more likely.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Anyone else with a shift get terrible battery life on CM7? I've tried 3 different kernels(x99, Scary, and BCsomething) and it's nowhere near as good as I had on the EVO with Savaged Zen. I'm looking into other roms now and hoping I find something better.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

The only thing I like about Firefox is the desktop syncing. I don't mind the stock browser.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

So I've been using Google Voice integration with no issues until last night. I have forward texts to phone enabled and have been using the stock messaging app for texting. Sunday and Monday about 20 texts I sent weren't received and then at around 1am this morning they all went through at once.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

There's a 2.3 leak for the Shift on XDA. I just flashed it about an hour ago and it seems pretty stable. It's running Sense 2.1.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

brc64 posted:

You know you can still change the launcher, even without root, right? And nobody is saying the phone will be unrootable. A signed bootloader doesn't prohibit root, just the ability to load custom ROMs. The ability to simply have root is almost inevitable.

If you change the launcher you can't use the sense widgets.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Just posted on Facebook.

quote:

"There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we've listened. Today, I'm confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience," Peter Chou, CEO of HTC

Hopefully it includes the 3D.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

spidoman posted:

Didn't corporate discounts used to get applied to extra lines on family plans? I could have sworn I was getting money off each line previously, now additional lines are the standard $19.99.

That happened about a year ago if I recall correctly.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Looks like Moto reps said the Photon won't have a locked bootloader.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

hotsauce posted:

So if I want to break contract from ATT and get an EVO 3D, the best way would be to get a phone currently on Sprint by the 23rd to qualify for the $125 credit, then swap to the EVO 3d (assuming it's in stock) and eat the $35 fee? So, I will then have $90 to apply to my ATT rape fee for canceling, right? Is ther a better way to maneuver this?

I think you could also get a cheap phone of craigslist and open a line with it that will be eligible for an upgrade right away.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Motorola posted:

As previously communicated, it is our intention to include the unlockable/relockable bootloader in software releases starting in late 2011, where operator and channel partners will allow it. However, this feature is not included in the software found on PHOTON 4G.

http://androidandme.com/2011/06/news/bad-moto-motorola-photon-4g-has-a-locked-bootloader/

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

spidoman posted:

Similar question here, is buying mine on Amazon going to make it so my work discount gets wiped out (and takes another like 3 months to get put back on.)

It shouldn't I upgraded online through Radioshack in December and no changes were made to my plan or discount.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

brc64 posted:

It occurs to me that I guess I'm glad I never bothered buying the HDMI cable for my EVO since HTC appears to have already abandoned that connection type.

Unrelated-- amidst all the Nexus 3 rumors, do we know yet which manufacturer will be proving the hardware? I had heard LG speculated a while back, but I guess it could really be anybody.

There's rumor saying it'll be HTC or LG. I like HTC and judging from the Optimus I really wouldn't mind owning a high end LG phone.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

I switched my wife to an Optimus from a Pixi and she's much happier with the Optimus.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

The Nexus rumors keep changing weekly so I wouldn't believe anything until it's official or at least closer to release. I really hope it's not Samsung.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

brc64 posted:

You people are scaring the hell out of me. I grabbed my wife's Shift yesterday to take a quick video (still haven't gotten around to updating CM7 on my EVO 4G to fix that) and the update prompt had appeared. I declined, but... has anybody had a positive experience with the official Gingerbread updates for the EVO 4G or Shift?

I'm running the 2.3 Mikshift ROM and outside of the LED bug I haven't had any problems.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Nope don't do it. Again, to repeat Sprint gave me a $80 credit for the hassle and "call back next month if you are still having problems," and I suggest you call in. I understand sometimes you get bugs, but its pretty bad and to not be able to go back to 2.2 pisses me off.

What kind of problems is the shift having? I might call and complain if there's a chance to swap for an Evo even if it is a month down the line. Custom ROM/Kernel support for the Shift is kind of a joke.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

brc64 posted:

The problem with this is that my wife loves the Shift, and would never trade it for an EVO 4G. She loves the keyboard and prefers the smaller size.

So I guess I'll just have her keep declining the update until I start to hear good news.

I love the size as well, I wouldn't mind it being a tad bigger, but I can live without the keyboard. I got way better battery life on the Evo thanks to decent custom kernels(which all suck for the Shift.) It's still better than the Epic though and a good phone overall.

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 8, 2011

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

falz posted:

Seems like there are a lot of ROMs to me- AOSP, Cyanogen, MIUI, hacked Sense- not sure what else you'd want. Cyanogen has run perfectly since it was officially released, ran well for a long time before that too. I've never installed a custom kernel because they all seem to just overclock my phone. That was fine in the 90s for a Celeron but I prefer to have battery life on my phone.

A sense ROM that isn't buggy. Even the 2.2 Sense ROMs weren't good. Kenrels aren't just for overclocking, you can underclock with a governor and get even better battery life. There aren't any decent kernels for the Shift though, I'd get almost twice as much battery life out of my Evo with a custom kernel.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That said, Motorola has promised to unlock their "late 2011" devices, although we have no confirmation if whether the Photon is included in this. But given what folks are doing with the Atrix since the unlocked bootloader leaked out, it could be a device that ends up with some amount of interest in the end, assuming it's not overshadowed by the Evo 3D's release lead.

They've already confirmed the Photon would be locked.
http://androidandme.com/2011/06/news/bad-moto-motorola-photon-4g-has-a-locked-bootloader/

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Can't wait to laugh at people who buy the Within at launch.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

I'm in the Detroit area. My coverage has been a little spotty(random 1X or roaming) in places it's usually good, I just assumed it was related to power outages in the area.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Ozmodiar posted:

Werid. I even called them yesterday and they said there were no known issues.

I'm flashing to Fresh 4.2 so I can call in again, and if they need to do any dial codes, I'll be able to do them.

I didn't realize Detroit was having power outages. Due to the heat or that absurd storm that came through on Monday?

I think both. Redford and some of Detroit lost power. 6 mile and Telegraph was out today and yesterday. My city(Ferndale) is/was 70% out, I'm part of the luck 30% though.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

You should've made sure to take in into a corporate with a repair center in the first place. There's no need to tell them where the phone came from, so don't.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

I have 27% and it's the highest I've seen. I think there was a list on Slickdeals and/or Fatwallet.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

diospadre posted:

I'm upgrading from a Hero to a 3D, and am currently on the $60 EPRP 500 plan. I went to Best Buy and was told I would need to upgrade to the $80 plan with premium data. I left and went on Sprint's site which is telling me the same thing. Do I actually need to upgrade my plan? I thought all Sprint plans had the $10 charge for data rolled in years ago.

You have to upgrade through Sprint. Best Buy, Radioshack, etc. can't touch your line.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Epic Touch 4G is out on 9/16

http://community.sprint.com/baw/com...0830Epic4GTouch

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

After trading an Evo for a Shift I don't think I'll buy a non-flagship phone again. At least I get my premier upgrade in 3 months.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

I'm pretty sure GPS doesn't work without data.

Edit: Pretty sure GPS doesn't work at all on the Epic :v:

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 9, 2011

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Bummed about losing premier gold, but at least I get one more upgrade. I'll still be sticking with Sprint as long as they're cheaper than every other carrier.

Edit: vvv Same here 27% buddy

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 15, 2011

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

I wouldn't even buy the Epic Touch 4G at $50. I like getting official software updates. Looking forward to hearing what early adopters think in a month or two :suspense:

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

nate fisher posted:

I like getting un-official software updates!

I really hope they are happy in a couple of months from now. If they are it is good for all of us.

So do I, but I'm doubtful it will.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Wow I am glad I at least skimmed the thread and saw all the Samsung hate. My wife and I have Palm Pres right now. My wife loves hers and I do like mine too, but it's been starting to randomly reboot or shut off. Also, it doesn't support streaming AAC codecs really well, so it has messed up me listening to a lot of shoutcast stuff.

I saw the HTC EVO Shift and initially thought the Samsung was slightly better on paper, but I assume the HTC tends to not poo poo its pants. Do I dare ask: can anybody contrast the user experience between that and the Epic (edit: assuming the Samsung Epic doesn't poo poo out)? It looks like you really can't compare everything on specs alone.

I'd really suggest you look into the Evo or Nexus S if you're set on not getting an Evo 3D. The Evo is a way better phone than the Shift and the Epic is just another turd from Samsung. You won't miss not having a keyboard.

Edit: If you're really really set on having a keyboard get the Shift over the Epic.

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

My wife installed the Optimus update yesterday and hasn't had any problems so far.