Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nate fisher posted:

This gives me hope Sprint is first (no matter how wrongly placed):

http://androidandme.com/2011/05/news/is-this-the-google-nexus-3-picture/

Seriously Google should release the Nexus across all carriers at the same time.

You can add the iPhone 4S in there before the Nexus 3 if rumors turn to be true.

Edit: Article on why you should wait for the Nexus 3

http://androidandme.com/2011/06/news/here-are-6-reasons-why-you-might-want-to-wait-for-the-nexus-3-part-1/

Rumored to have the Tegra 3 it packs the following features:

World’s first mobile quad-core CPU
New 12-Core NVIDIA GPU with support for 3D stereo
Support for Extreme HD at a 2560 x 1600 resolution
5x faster than the Tegra 2
40 nm by TSMC
Ultra Low Power GPU mode
1080p H.264 High Profile video decode

Wow oh wow!

Strongly considering buying a used Evo (like anyone would pay money or trade for my Epic) until this comes out, but then I recall that Sprint hasn't gotten poo poo from Google prior to the NS4G.

I'm torn. Either I get the Evo 3D on release day or I take that money and buy a used Evo 4G and then wait 6 months, then find that the Nexus 3 is probably going to a/the GSM carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RodShaft posted:

Damnit. I thought it was:

$30/mo: Cell phone retirement home maxing at TP2 (and the replenish for some reason)
$40/mo: Everything but Evo/Epic/Nexus
$50/mo: Evo/Epic/Nexus

They really should just give you a $10 discount with the Epic because this thing is loving retarded.

You remember back in the early days of android and the phones were slower, and every once in a while the phone would sort of go into a soft-freeze where it wouldn't do anything but everything you did would queue up somehow and when the phone unfroze, everything you pressed or did while it was frozen happens all at once?

Epic does that all the time. If I hit enough things that cause haptic feedback it feels like something is getting ready to forceclose (with the "buzz....buzzbuzzbuzz" thing as it pops up with the FC dialog)

This is going to be the longest week ever.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

spidoman posted:

It's actually the opposite for me. I got the hero right as the evo was coming out, I thought "I don't need the fastest phone." Now I've been trying to decide between the Evo 3D and Nexus, and I realized that if I bought the Nexus I'd be making the same mistake as last time.

While there's something to be said about "purity" and NFC, you're better off making that choice. NFC is just a little too young to really consider it as a relevant point of a phone (this will change as Google and PayPal settle things and get back to development) and the purity thing is probably going to be moot PDQ as it will likely be picked up by Cyanogen.

I mean, looking at it from just the purity standpoint, its unlikely any major updates will come for the NS4G by the time Cyanogen gets a release out for it.

As you said, you would be making a mistake by getting the Nexus S. It's past its prime.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ordered here too. Just noticed my apartment number is missing from the shipping address. MUTHAFUCK

e: on hold with a sedate but nice lady - ok as I typed this she came back, she called the shipping department and fixed the address. :buddy:

Having ordered it from Sprint, there now means there's one Evo 3D that will be chilling at an Omaha Best Buy (Crossroads) on release day without me being there to pick it up. I've already used the gift card on buying a camera so there really was no gain to getting it from Best Buy on launch day as opposed to getting it early (hopefully) with the one good Silver Premier perk.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 21, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Back of the Bus posted:

Update for all of you: looks like telesales is accepting orders for the 3D. Getting it ordered right now.

Ask them if they are shipping out before Friday.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Choicecut posted:

My 3deez have shipped as well. They will be here by end of day tomorrow.

When did you put in your order if you don't mind me asking?

I put mine in at about 8am CST today (21st) and am wondering if I am to expect a delivery tomorrow.

My Epic was delivered the following day but because I have an extra chromosome I forgot to put my apartment number in my address on my account so it took 2 days.

Hopefully they ship out of KC. That's like 3 hours drive from Omaha even at geezer speeds.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

spidoman posted:

As did I, but mine hasn't been shipped yet, so who knows really. I did say charge my bill, so that may have something to do with it, or family plan vs. individual, gold vs. silver, location, name, who knows.

Mine is still awaiting processing at the warehouse. If I have to fly down to Florida with this piece of poo poo epic I am going to wipe it and then put it in my checked baggage.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Choicecut posted:

Sprint cares called me this morning to let me know I could order them. I had been working with them over the past week to get the free airave and both my lines to full early upgrade for the Evo3deez. I think it was around 8am EST when they called? I was going to have duckman2008 do the deal for me, but when the sprint cares guy said he could have them to me before friday I collapsed like a sissy. (I still feel like a cock face duckman :D)

I will say that the experience with Sprint cares has been one of the best customer service deals I have ever done. After dealing with Volkswagen of America for the past 2 years on my piece of poo poo GTI, this was like going to Wonkas Chocolate Factory and enjoying a gum drop smile while oompa loompas serviced my cock and balls. I will be sticking with Sprint for many more years to come. Do never buy a Volkswagen, seriously.

My airave took almost 2 hours before the mobile light became solid. Went from 0-1 bars on 1x, to full bars 3g in my house!

Just got my tracking number. Delivery slated for the 22nd!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

IOwnCalculus posted:

Just got my 3deez tracking number. Must be some delays internally in Sprint since it looks like UPS has had it for ~3h now. Should have it in my hands within 24 hours, sweet!

I may be assuming incorrectly, but it may be like printing a USPS label - the system registers the tracking number at the time of printing but no info is there until it gets scanned by the shipper. E.g. Sprint's shipping posse printed the label, slapped it on a box, and 3 hrs later, UPS scanned it into their system. Sprint registers that and posts the tracking number at that point.

I assume if they posted it at the time of printing it would just upset people who check it and see something like "Check back later."

UPS plans on getting my phone from Louisville, KY to Omaha in a timeframe less than 20 hours or so. At least, I hope it's less then 20 hours or so. I leave for work at 5:30PM and I'm hoping to be able to at least activate the drat thing before that.

I should ask a UPS goon if they keep records of in-person-delivery (e.g. signature required delivery) times to better tailor deliveries to times when a recipient is actually at home. I had left a note on a door tag a while back asking them to deliver earlier, they've been dropping by in the late morning/early afternoon ever since. I recall quite a few being in their KS (Lenexa?) hub and piping up in some GBS thread.

Fedex, however, gives no fucks. Their response to me when I called and asked was "It'll get there when it gets there" in a nutshell - obviously it wasn't that classless, but that was the gist of it. I wasn't asking a driver to make a detour in the middle of his route, I was asking them a number of days prior to a delivery as I'd had door tags from them left at times like 8PM. Just put it on a morning truck in the area and I'll be happy to wake up at 8AM after working until 2:30AM as long as I get my poo poo. Learned that their warehouse was about 10 minutes from me, so I have since just been telling them to leave it at the facility and I'll pick it up on my way to work.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 22, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Just got mine. This box is loving classy. All embossed and poo poo, pull tab top open. Nice PSA on the plastic wrap for the phone itself, Sprint. EYES ON THE ROAD. HANDS ON THE WHEEL.

This phone is one hell of a lot more solid feeling than my Epic, which was a bit lighter than this. The fact that you can feel the bezel seems to be made of metal adds to that.

e: It feels better in my giant hands.

e2: It wouldn't activate over 3G so I turned on Wifi and it took like 20 seconds to go through the activation process, and a restart finished it. The weather on the lockscreen is of the "You have to be making GBS threads me" variety.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 22, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Myrddin Emrys posted:

In a good way? I think it's awesome.

We're thunderstorming hard out here in MA right now, and I put the weather live wallpaper on, and it was loving epic. Zooming though black thunder clouds as lightning crashed everywhere... beautifully epic.

edit: Just in case people didn't know / forgot, the Evo 3D comes with Swype preinstalled, just log-press a textbox, input method, Swype. It's already enabled, just have to select it.

Yes, in a good way.

Also, go to the personalize settings, go to Lockscreen, and have a look at what the friendstream is saying.

e: Plants v Zombies loads so fuckin' fast.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 22, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MatCauthon posted:

drat, now I wish I hadn't pre-ordered my 3D at Best Buy. Having to wait until Friday sucks. Is there any word on when that case with the kickstand will be available?

Edit: Saw some first hand reviews today saying that call quality sucks and some people are having trouble connecting to Internet, can anyone comment?

a) I have had no trouble connecting to the internet either over 3G or Wifi.

b) Call quality seems OK but nothing spectacular. I don't notice any difference between this and my Epic.

Also, I preordered mine from BB, then used the $50 GC a couple days later to buy Infamous 2, then ordered this early from Sprint. :buddy:

e: Just realized my Epic has a 16GB card in it while the Evo 3D came with an 8 gig. I probably should switch them.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 22, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Problem: no netflix app in the market.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Can't even get 4G in my house, but loving the 3D so far. Except for the actual 3D part of the 3D. Fastest I've ever gotten a headache. And I didn't even get to try out the Green Hornet movie. It threw up some error about not having enough licenses or something.

This may be a release date thing, I got it too and will try again on Friday.

E: I have noticed yet another nice thing - the browser does not lag to poo poo on full size pages with stuff like flash. Netflix main site was buttery smooth while my Epic would be stuttering like Prince Albert and getting red hot in my hand.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 23, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lowen SoDium posted:

Penetration has nothing to do with LTE vs WiMax. It has everything to do with frequency.

Sprint does have a lot of frequency spectrum that it is repurposing for it's Network Vision project. The EVO 3D is going to be one of the first phones to take advantage of the repurposed spectrum as it is the first phone on Sprint to support CDMA on the SMR frequences.

Sprint's LTE plans have not yet been made clear to the public, but they did sign a 4 year contract with Lightsquared to provide it. Lightsquared does LTE in the 1.4 Ghz band which has better penetration that Clearwire's WiMax at 2.5Ghz.

All that said, I still feel like 4G is a gimmick on smartphones and will continue to be a gimmick until the 4G radio is the primary radio on the phone. I am hopeful that in the next 5 years, the major carriers will start doing Voice over LTE and work out some agreements on LTE roaming. Until then, 4G is really only good at eating battery when I am at area that has good coverage which in my town is the mall.

My town has this as well, coverage only at the mall, but then the shithole podunk across the river has it as well.

e: flooded shithole podunk.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 23, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

e: Just call retentions and give them "polite but a little bummed out" shpiel about how you were sold a phone that was EOL'd 6 months after you bought it with no alternatives (the Moment isn't an alternative, it's a punchline). Additionally, if you bought the Hero, you may well have had a plan that qualified you for Premier when it was a proper valued customer program and not some "Less than $100/month gets the back of the bus" segregated plan. Try calling retentions and working that angle as well. Or do whatever, but call retentions. There are also other posts in this thread regarding lost upgrades due to the Premier Kristallnacht that happened on April 1, with email addresses and whatnot if you're not really a over-the-phone person.

Either way, just don't drop the segregation/nazi references on them, that's not professional.

jaku78 posted:

The name, the fact it doesn't have 3D in the name. The truth is most consumers don't look into details too much as it is ridiculously obvious on most of the Engadget article comments. The moment you say a feature a consumer doesn't care for(such as 3d) or simple things they dislike(shipped with locked bootloader,7/10 in reviews) most people looking at a 2 year agreement plug their ears with their fingers and go "LLALALANOTLISTENINGLALLAA". I really don't blame them, you are going to likely be stuck with this phone you pick out for awhile.

EDIT:^^^^Is there the slightest of clues if anything still functions in the phone? Charge light? Anything?

I love those kinds of people. For all we know that OTA that rolled out a few hours ago unlocked the drat bootloader. One thing it did was hide the dialer app. As in, you know the shortcut on the far left of the lockscreen? blanked. It still works, it's still on the phone, you can make calls, but there's no way to make a shortcut as it's not a listed app.

snKestren posted:

My EVO 3D is dead apparently. I tried to download the Spiderman 3D game and it blacked out. It won't turn on even after removing the battery and doesn't even seem to charge when I plug it in.

:saddowns:

Well, I'm not going to touch that Spiderman app now. Try bringing it into a Sprint store early in the morning, when they open, and see if they can't hook it up to their imaging utility (or whatever one would call Odin) and get it running. You'd get your phone back in the state (data-wise) it was when you took it out of the box, but it'll work.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 23, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dphi posted:

Has anyone taken a 3D video and played it back on their 3D tv yet? I don't have a 3D tv but I'm curious how the quality is anyway.

poo poo, you just gave me the idea. Going to give it a whirl in a moment, but I will need to figure out how. There wasn't an HDMI adapter with the phone, so I don't know of any way to get it to my TV. TV has no wireless (sold separately, gently caress that) so I just have my PS3. Do you think I could route the video through my PS3 via some kind of media server?

big mean giraffe posted:

It definitely didn't unlock the phone. I've been keeping an eye on xda the past 12 hours or so and it is definitely still locked.

Well, gently caress. I haven't checked XDA (and probably won't for a few months, don't want to tempt myself and brick the drat phone playing with some hackjob from a methcook-style dev "team")

The Entire Universe posted:

Also, go to the personalize settings, go to Lockscreen, and have a look at what the friendstream is saying.

Okay, this is what it says:

e: I need to learn more about using my camera. http://imgur.com/a/Z10th/all

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 23, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Used the 3D a bunch last night. Showed my girlfriend the phone, and while Sense 3.0 blew her away, she thought it was pretty similar to the Evo 4G, so I showed her the 3D camera. She got really excited, which is unusual because neither of us cares much about 3D stuff. But we started goofing around taking 3D pictures of our cats and 3D videos where she rolled a volleyball towards the camera, stuff like that.

She went from "oh that's neat I guess" to "holy crap this is awesome" because of that...

You had drat well better not live in Omaha.

(We did the same thing, but with matchbox cars instead of a volleyball.)

e: If anyone was on pins and needles about the GREEN HORNET THREE DEE movie, it seems to work.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

averox posted:

edit: Jesus if you can't notice the increased pixel density get some loving glasses. This thing is sharp.

I have been comparing the SAMOLED from my Epic to this and outside of slightly better colors (they "pop" more) I would say I prefer this screen.

Of course the display could be a Fucking gameboy display and I would still take this phone over the Epic.

E: always gotta teach new phones how to cuss.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 23, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

a shameful boehner posted:

For some reason, voicemails aren't working correctly. Instead, I get a text message, with a number to call, that asks me to confirm that my phone is capable of receiving voice messages (obviously, it is). Any reason why its' not defaulting to visual voicemail?

No clue. However, a while back I got Youmail, which basically replaces your voicemail. Now everyone in my family has their own "Hey you've called my phone but I'm not here" message. I recall it being pretty simple to set up, but that was shortly after the first time I flashed a ROM on my Epic.

Speaking of that piece of poo poo, there was a guy in this thread that asked if I could send him my Epic instead of hucking it into the river. Unfortunately, I somehow managed to possibly convince my mother to move her 5-line family plan to Sprint, and offered her my Epic if she moved. She currently has an EnV Touch from Verizon. I think that's one of the only ways you could see the Epic as a step up.

e: \/\/ It doesn't seem to be terribly bad, though I admit I did use it due to the fact that the ROM I flashed had no visual voicemail capability. It was a sort of "Best of all options" thing before the advent of Google Voice. I'm strongly considering getting GV, even though I don't need to port my number over or anything - basically I would just be using it for the voicemail and I guess data calls.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 23, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

averox posted:

Oh god its so fast. Just using the Google reader web app is super fast.

Check out how smooth it is while handling flash content.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

brc64 posted:

I hope you all get some new form of hand cancer.

I may be slightly jealous.

I have hand cancer.

There appears to be an EVO 3D growing out of my right hand.

I can't put this thing down.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

jaku78 posted:

It sounds like it's more about the resolution than the quality of the screen from what he said. And when talking about screen quality(sLCD vs sAMOLED) most people don't notice it anyway. It's a freaking cellphone, with a 4.3inch screen.

I happen to be upgrading from an Epic, I should post a side-by-side to show everyone on the fence precisely how little difference there is.

e: Aside from the contrast ratio being better on the SAMOLED (colors "pop" more, blacks are blacker, etc) the screens are equivalent in image quality, the E3D having a much higher resolution. The difference is obviously LCD vs OLED. In OLED, black is no light at all, whereas from LCD, it means no color being placed over the backlight. I would say the EVO's screen is brighter light-wise as a result, though the relative dimness of the SAMOLED does not necessarily diminish the readability or useability of the screen.

Overall, the difference is almost in a zone equivalent to audiophiles bickering about infrasound and non-audible frequencies. That is, to say, academic. You can see a difference between the screens but it's not poo poo vs gold. More like 18k gold vs 24k gold or something. And then you have the higher resolution, which is a flat boost to utility and occasionally crispness.

e: http://imgur.com/a/Ph3JR/all a few side-by-side pictures. Please forgive the lovely lighting, I didn't want to get a bunch of glare in the way.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 24, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Deathlove posted:

Got my two shipping notifications this morning. In response, my Pre wouldn't turn on without pulling the battery. It knows. Oh, how it knows.

When the 3D comes don't let the Pre see it. Just take the old buddy out back, give him one last petting and a hug, throw a stick for him to fetch, and as he turns to hobble after the stick just shoot him. Base of the skull, it'll be quick and he won't feel a thing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DaveKap posted:

After being a cell phone Luddite for most of my life, I've finally reached a social status where my pre-paid plan with AT&T is officially around 60 bucks per month. It's time I get a real smart phone with a real plan instead of this used iPhone 3G that is slow as hell and rather hilarious to pull out at bars with the addendum "oh, but I don't have data." I'm ready to take the dive into Sprint (which apparently has great service out here in San Francisco) and the EVO 3D, which meets my requirements of dual-core, 4G, Android, and awesome screen (AMOLED requirement deferred to S-LCD after discovering S-LCD is sharper, which I care about more than color values.)

My phone habits are mainly texting with light talk. I'd like unlimited data because I'm finally at the point where I travel enough to not be near free WiFi at every minute of the day. So, after reading the OP, it seems the cheapest plan possible I will get is 70 bucks per month using the ERP for 450 talk minutes with unlimited text and data. Does this still hold true or is there anything else I should know? One of my friends mentioned haggling at the Sprint Store (which I am going to go to to try out the EVO 3D in person, just to make sure I like it) but he said he could accomplish that because he had been a customer for a decade. What do you guys think?

Not sure about the haggling but if I recall correctly the port-in credit is still going on, and you might just have a discount off the regular plans through your employer. I don't think the credit is available through EPRP and employer discounts certainly aren't, so you may want to weigh those options.

Also, you will loving love the 3D.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

change my name posted:

Are there any other phones that use the 3d's big square battery or is it proprietary? Also I read a review that said using 3d features seemed to drain the battery at about a percent a minute, does that sound right?

Folks have been reporting being able to watch green hornet and still have a substantial amount of juice left. I might be inclined to say they mean "using the 3D camera" in which case it might make more sense - double cameras and all that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I'm getting an EVO 3D soon and have a couple of questions.

The company I work for directly pays for our cellphones and the cellphone service. I'm wondering if it would be possible to pay for any apps I purchase with my own separate account, I doubt my boss would be very happy if I bought some games on the company dime.

While using the phone as a mobile hotspot can you still make and receive calls? Is there a third party app that lets you bypass the $29.99 monthly fee for this?

I'm coming from a Palm Pre which comes with Sprint Navigation. As far as I know there was no extra monthly fee to use it or else the plan my company has everyone set up on has it included. Is there an extra charge or fee for whatever GPS program the 3D comes with?

You can use Google checkout to pay for apps, yes to calls but it will stop being a hotspot during the call, you can get WiFi tethering for free with rooting your phone but this is against the TOS and don't bitch if you get slapped for it, and as far as I have used the navigation it has been free, even though gMaps will do navigation and will probably always be free.

E: I like the way I wrote mine more :unsmith:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

big mean giraffe posted:

He's definitely long-pressing the magnifying glass, that pulls up voice search.

Yep, the touch sensor is incredibly sensitive on this phone. Maybe a case can help by virtue of giving extra girth to the phone which would help keep hand flesh from pressing around the edge of the phone and hitting the button.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fagalicious posted:

When they first started advertising it I tried to use the feature but as soon as I'd make a call I'd suddenly switch from 3g with full bars to edge so it didn't work. As soon as i hung up, 3g came back.

And to think they were still overcharging you and maybe even metering that EDGE usage.

Thanks to Sprint I've been using Stitcher (AKA loving Awesome) for the past couple weeks and have no worries about overages. You know how Palpatine screams UNLLLLLIMMMMITED POWAAAAAHHH at Sam Jackson in Star Wars, right before blasting his Jedi rear end out the window? Swap POWAAAAHHH for DATAAAAAAH and that is precisely how I feel.

:smugdog:'in all over them tiered data fools.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think part of the battery issue is the modem. My girlfriend and I are on vacation in Florida and somehow (in the Tampa Bay area) the signal is less than optimal. My phone, an EVO3D, is demolishing battery due to piss-poor signal pickup while my old phone (girlfriend is using it, a Sammy Epic) is getting still suboptimal but a consistent 2-3 bars.

Basically, I think a modem issue with the 3D is exaggerating user-to-user differences in battery life due to TWS drain.

If you have what seems to be poor battery life, have a look at settings > about phone > battery usage > cell standby and see how high that Time Without Signal figure is. If its over like 5-10%, that is a big detractor to your battery life.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

here's a picture of the (clear) silicone case I got for my evo:

I like it.

Where did you get that if you don't mind me asking?

I like hexagons.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Utnayan posted:

Yeah I was getting that too. Looks like a nationwide outage.

Well that sucks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I can't wait to see the counter-ads to this. If AT&T and Verizon respond, it'll almost be a tacit acknowledgement that they know that Sprint's right. Well played, Sprint PR team.

It's a pretty good ad - not to mention I had the joy of experiencing T-Mo's "basically a hard cap" throttling. It made 1x (What I'm pretty sure I had on my Evo 3D - slow as gently caress in West Central FL) look like goddamn FIOS in comparison.

Sure, with 3G, yeah it'll take a bit to buffer youtube videos but eventually they will play. Whatever was going through my phone down there was hardly fast enough to make web browsing worthwhile. I understand the phone just shows any old data connection as 3G, but it was noticeably bad. I thought Omaha was comparatively a rural bumfuck compared to the urbanized parts of FL (e.g. Pinellas, Orlando, Tampa, etc) but it's the goddamn city of tomorrow as far as wireless goes.

For added hilarity my stepmother's kid was having trouble with her phone, went to the T-mo store and they deactivated my stepmother's SIM and popped a new one in the daughter's phone, effectively killing service to stepmom's phone and transferring said number and service to the daughter's phone. She calls her own number on Dad's phone and it's answered by the daughter, in the t-mo store. I never liked the woman (an e/n-worthy story behind that) but it was rather stunning to see the whole thing play out.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 12, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

td4guy posted:

Haha, the Epic strikes again.

My girlfriend had better reception with my old epic than I did with my 3D in the lovely areas in Florida, but then again I had more absolute utility as I wasn't waiting for the browser to open, and I could actually use my GPS :parrot:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DaveKap posted:

My EVO 3D is only hitting 12-14 hours of battery life on average. I'm not sure, but I think this happens because the wifi likes to stay on, even when the phone is off. Is there any way to have wifi turn off if the screen is off? I also seem to get huge dips in power specifically from talking; my apartment only gets 3-5 bars. Is there an app that can record all of the battery life recordings so I can analyze what it is causing me problems? Considering I didn't get the monthly insurance, I'd be sad if I somehow got a dud-ish battery.

For the most part I can get through the day just fine, but tonight I had to move my charger out of my bedroom because the phone was about to die after a good day of texting and calling.

I imagine this is one of those "Do this with Tasker" things - if you haven't picked it up, it's an amazing app, you can basically set rules for anything with your phone. If you're within x distance of so-and-so GPS point, do this (such as setting the wallpaper to something family-friendly if you're visiting your parents, or setting your phone to silent once you get into the parking lot at work, etc) and I imagine you can just say "dear phone; turn the loving wifi off when the screen goes off."

Additionally, there's a sort of wonky scale on battery usage among 3G and Wifi (4G treats your battery like Hitler treated Russian Jews) and it basically boils down to reception - If you have lovely 3G reception, then it will kill your battery faster than moderate wifi, and lovely wifi will kill your batter faster than good 3G. However, your phone (and my phone, and anyone else's phone) carries one hell of a torch for wifi in the sense that if it even gets the slightest whisper of a wifi signal then it will stay connected to that network, even as it's traipsing through your battery like General Sherman through Georgia, rails tied around trees and all.

This being said, I say "Tasker" to this, and then maybe evaluate what the wifi strength looks like in the areas you travel to. If your phone is set to connect to an open wifi spot, but then you go somewhere where the signal is faint as gently caress, it's going to murder your battery. On the contrary, a strong wifi signal (e.g. in your home with the usual caveats about construction) is way the gently caress more efficient than any 3G signal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

So is it generally considered that the SGS2 is the really-I-swear-I've-changed-no-not-like-the-last-two-times-I-really-mean-it-this-time phone from Samsung?

The Epic still has orientation sensor issues that require root to fix. It takes 5-10 seconds to switch between horizontal and vertical, from the home screen, browser, whatever. That phone was, surprise surprise, considered a new leaf being turned over too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

If anyone was wondering, I think it is the HTC camera app that sucks. I tried a few other ones and the slow shutter speed isn't there.

Cameras and the apps controlling them have never been the strong suit for HTC unfortunately.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

brc64 posted:

Does the Evo 3D have any snazzy DLNA features built in for easy sharing with DLNA-enabled TVs?

I believe that's the app called "media share" which does indeed come with the phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Appachai posted:

So the sgs2 is heading to AT&T with a slideout keyboard...what's the chances they're sending it sprint like that?

Probably nil since nobody is going to buy a phone that reminds them of the Epic. AT&T users haven't had the joy of Epic ownership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dear Duckman2008, is the discount 19% for ebay/paypal employees per this mailer I received?

E: thanks.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 13, 2011