Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have a SERO Premium 500 plan and my upgrade is due just in time as my original EVO is starting to poo poo out on me. When I filter the list to only show phones that I can use on my plan it has every lovely phone Sprint offers plus the various iPhones and the Galaxy S2 only. All of the other good phones say I need to change my plan to use them. Anyone have any ideas on why? Back when they updated SERO plans to use smartphones I made sure my account was all in order over the phone and haven't touched it since except to pay bills so I don't know what to expect here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have an odd question. I have a an old grandfathered SERO plan and just refuse to let that thing leave my control but I may end up spending a year overseas. I have no desire to use Sprint's crap international service so I haven no need to keep my account active while I'm gone other than to not lose SERO. Does Sprint do anything like letting me freeze my account while I'm overseas and reactivate it when I get back with out it impacting what is on the account at all?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

No. You can do something like that for 6 months with a normal plan, but they won't put you back on SERO, and they won't go more than 6 months.

So my best options are to let a friend/family member use the account for a year or just suck it up and pay a monthly tax basically to keep the account mine until I get back? About what I was figuring but sucks all the same to hear it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Anyone know if there are any issues with rolling a single line Sero 500 plan over to a dual line plan? Guessing the Sero family plan. Does Sprint still allow that or will they take this chance to finally force me off the plan for one of their more lucrative (for them) ones?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Does anyone know if Sprint is going to greenlight me converting my single line SERO plan over to a two line SERO so I can get my wife on the same plan; or will combining our cell phone bill mean that I'll have to finally give up SERO?

If I have to give up SERO, should I bother staying with Sprint or just go get something with Verizon or whatever? I have absolutely no brand loyalty here and am just looking for cheapest/best deals.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Turns out they had no problem adding another SERO line to my account, just couldn't get it on a contract and had to do the lease/buy phone option thing. Go figure.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

This is interesting to me... Could you expand on the process on how you got them to agree to another New Sero plan? Are you on the $50 one (+$10 4G of course)

Yes I am, and I did literally no convincing. They added the extra line on SERO rates as the default action. They just refused to do a phone on contract for the second line. A friend works for Nextel and he was saying that they got marching orders from Sprint to aggressively get people off contracts and to push lease/rent-to-own hard so that doesn't surprise me.

When I get home tonight I will check out my account, since it has been a few days to make sure everything was actually set up the way it was supposed to be, and I will let you know if they kept it the way it was when I walked out of the store.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

td4guy posted:

Did they make you get the $60 SERO with unlimited minutes? Or did you get the SERO Premium 500 for $40+$10?

$40+$10

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have a big post script to the story. Everything looked good until I got my first bill which had my wife on the regular Sprint unlimited plan. I didn't pay and went back to the same corporate store I originally went to. They had record on my original sale that the agent called in for authorization and was told yes for SERO 500 so they went to bat for me to get things changed to 500.

However, corporate refused to budge on the 500 but instead offered to convert the second line to SERO unlimited and both corporate and the store gave me some account credits to both normalize the now inflated bill and for all the hassle.

I wasn't thinking I was going to get SERO anything before porting my wife over so I am fine with this.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

The Shep posted:

Just got an HTC 10 after dumping the Nexus 6 (what a piece of garbage that phone was). I'm happy but I miss the big screen.

What was your problems with the Nexus 6? I had one for years and never had a problem with it and never had a complaint from using it. Only reason I got a new phone was because it finally got stolen.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Anyone have experience with taking their phones to not Canada and Mexico, in my case it will be Paris, and using the international phone/data addon? I'll be there for two weeks for work and my company is letting me expense it, but just wanted to know how reliable and quality it is. I have a S7 if that matters at all.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Awesome, exactly what I was looking for. Coincidentally, heading to a corporate store right now to add the plan, so great timing.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Just an update on international traveling, I did Paris and New Zealand this last month and Sprint had good coverage for both countries. It was kind of finicky to get it to pick up the local towers at first, but a phone restart fixed that.

Texting is free, data is $5/day or $25/week except for like China which is more expensive.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You get free 2G data (so functionally useless data) that is just good enough to load the Sprint portal to order 4G/LTE data plans.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Welp. That on any other carrier?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I was thinking of getting a Pixel, and now I guess I'll need to look into getting in on Google Fi.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
When your phone first picks up signal you'll get a text, iirc, that explains rates. If not, then you get just enough bandwidth to redirect any site to their portal where you can buy time. Most, if not all of West Europe should be $5/day $25/week. I did two weeks in Paris for business earlier this year and it was rockass solid, sometimes even better than my hotel's wifi. Worked the same on my vacatiom to New Zealand.

You will likely have to reboot your phone a couple of times to get the signal picked up and going. My company wanted me to use Uber on the corp card but when I got there at first the phone (s7) was having a hell of a time getting good data going so I had to take a regular Taxi. But once it got working I had no problems with it.

Just heads up on that.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 17, 2018

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you have any balance left on the phone they will make you pay the remaining balance first before unlocking it, if that matters for you.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
When I got SERO you just needed a valid employee email address on their singup page and I just put john.smith@sprint and it worked and 12 or 13 years later here I am with no one ever having verified anything.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Does the Uber credit only count for the ride service or can you usr it on Uber Eats?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I went to Germany, France and New Zealand while on SERO and when I got in country Sprint texted me the rates and a link to buy data for a day rate or a week rate. A week in Europe was like $20-25 for unlimited 4G.

Once you accept/buy it'll ne added to your next bill and you'll more than likely need to restart your phone once to a few times to get it to fi ally pick up on the in country network.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Given everything else posted I'm guessing once we switch over we lose Tidal? I just started getting use to that and I'd be bummed to lose.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It took a couple of reboots on my phone in Paris for it to pick up the international data but once I had it it was solid for the whole time I was there. New Zealand was first try to pick up amd super solid all over the north island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I did two Pixel 4s like 2 years ago and I just took it to the closest corporate store and let them sort it out once I got the phones shipped and it was pretty easy. If I remember right the original SIMs they sent had to be replaced at the store but otherwise painless.