Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Is it feasible to make a game in HTML5, deploy it on a bunch of platforms, including iOS through PhoneGap?

Do you lose out on anything important going that route (IAP, performance, etc etc)?

We've got an idea for a game that we want to do a prototype for, but collectively our iOS experience is pretty light. HTML5, however, we can do much faster.

However, we want a native app on iOS so we can take advantage of the app store.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I was looking at it today and I didn't get it. The game they make in it is kind of silly and I don't really think the examples are that great. I'll give it another look on Saturday, I'm in no hurry to buy if I don't need to.

I'm currently working through this book - if it's not a great way to do so, what would the thread recommend is a better way to learn cocos2d, for someone who's never made games before, but has basic obj-c / ios experience?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

If I'm going to start a simple new app, should I use storyboard/arc?

I know ARC is available for IOS4, but I'm pretty sure storyboard is not.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I just signed up for the paid developer program last night so I can test on the device / release etc.

I prefer to plug my phone in as rarely as possible, so I figured I'd set up testflight so I can test my own builds over the air.

If I'm doing that, do I still need to go through the provisioning process in the developer portal?

I'm trying to follow testflight's setup doc here, http://support.testflightapp.com/kb/tutorials/how-to-create-an-ipa-xcode-4 , but I'm unable to get the archive to build - I get a "Code signing error, profiles don't match a valid key/value pair in default keychain" error. I actually do have a certificate in my keychain that I downloaded and added last night.

Any ideas?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Does anyone have any links to resources on iOS UI design, besides the official HIG?

I'm at the point where I have a couple apps that need attractive and intuitive UI before I release them, and I want to get some best practices/tips/examples with commentary, etc.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Quick question. I'm making a class for a deck of playing cards. This is in the deck init/shuffle method:

code:
NSArray *suits = [NSArray arrayWithObjects:@"C", @"D", @"S", @"H", nil];
NSArray *values = [NSArray arrayWithObjects:@"A", @"2", @"3",@"4",@"5",@"6",@"7",@"8",@"9",@"0",@"J",@"Q",@"K", nil];
    for (NSString *s in suits) {
        for (NSString *v in values) {
            tempCard = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%@%@", s, v];
            NSLog(@"%@", tempCard);
            [self.deck addObject:tempCard];
        }
    }
the NSLog prints out the tempCard just fine, but for some reason, the next line, [self.deck addObject:tempCard]; doesn't add anything to my NSMutableArray. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

OHIO posted:

Did you initialize your deck array?

Oh man, I totally did, but thanks to your comment I realized I initialized it just after I called the shuffle method.

Boneheaded move of the day, thanks!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

lord funk posted:

KFH43JFLN9RE
3WNWKRE4XK6J
7TAAPRJEN6YJ
FWJ3JT4ELYWH
JMFEAPLFPEFW

I took the last one, JM....

Congrats on finishing a really awesome looking app, looking forward to trying it out!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Provisioning question!

I develop on my work machine, user name <originalname>. I had my provisioning cert all set up, keychain working, etc. There was a work migration to a new domain, and IT changed my user name (same account) to <newname>.

I created a new app post migration and created an app id in the developer portal, added the provisioning profile to my keychain, but the organizer is giving me an error, "Xcode cannot find a valid private-key/certificate pair for this profile in your keychain"

How do I fix this? revoke my previous provisioning profile and redo the process?

EDIT: ALSO! in the simulator, if I run my app, tap the home button, double tap it, and close my app from the fast app switcher, the simulator crashes. Is this a simulator thing, or did I not implement something I should have?

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 17, 2011

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

EDIT: better question:

the HIG says I need to submit a launch image with my app, one that looks like the first screen of the app. One exception is to avoid showing elements that will change once the app loads fully, as this will cause a "flash" to the user from the launch image to the running app.

My app falls into this category - The main screen consists of a few images that are randomly shown on launch, plus a few static buttons and labels. For my launch image, should I include everything but the parts that will change? Also, my app is crazy light weight. It takes about .5 seconds from app icon tap to loaded and ready to go so even if I did a splash screen, it would almost look like a glitch.

EDIT 2: read further in the HIG, looks like that's exactly what I should do. Thanks thread!

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 2, 2012

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I've made a simple Mac OSX app that I'd like to release on the app store. I had it all working on my dev machine, added a mac developer license to my developer account, etc.

I started going through the the "preparing your app" guide on developer.apple.com, set up provisioning and a bundle ID (correctly, I think) and now my app won't run - if I build it and run, the window doesn't pop up. The build completes successfully, the console pops up, etc, but my app window never arrives.

I've tried backing out the changes I made to my targets, but nothing works. Is there a good and simple guide to the release process? The existing documentation makes my head spin sometimes.

Also, is there some quick summary of the settings I can link/paste here for you guys to diagnose?

Thanks!

EDIT: VVVV not a dumb question at all! I opened the app up again and tested that, but it's not a document based app.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 9, 2012

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Do any of you guys have experience with Parse.com ? I have a question about it:

I have two tables, Users, and Messages. Users are PFUsers, Messages have "to" and "from" keys, each of which contains a PFUser as value.

I have a UITableView whose rows are populated by the rows of the Users table. I want to sort this before displaying by the descending time of the last Message's creation received from that user.

AKA I have a PFQuery on Users. order that query by the createdAt field of the Messages table, constrained on User == Messages-from.

Any ideas on how to construct the query?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I've got an app that has the user record some audio and then send it to an API using restkit.

if I've got a URL of the file through audioRecorder.url , and the API I'm using wants me to hand them the file itself, how can I do that? I can't just give them the URL. Do I need to use [NSData dataWithContentsOfFile] ?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Thanks to this thread, books, and a class I've recently finished, I think I have a pretty good handle on developing iOS apps.

What I can't do yet, is make them look nice. Right now they're all a mass of Apple stock controls. I'm going to look around for a designer to work with on these prototypes I've got, but say I want to go it alone, do you recommend any books/sites/whatever to help me get started learning how to make apps...pretty?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Another option is to have a single "-(IBAction)tapped:(id)sender" method that asks the sender what the title of the button is and switches on that.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I've got a question about scrollViews, paging, and outlets.

I'm making an app that allows the user to page back and forth between screens. Each screen contains the same fields, currently some labels.

in the view controller that's holding the uiscrollview, I want to be able to access the screen currently showing's IBOutlets, then when a new screen is paged out, the VC's connections are updated to the new screen's. How do I do that?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I couldn't even get to login. of the 20 ios devs at my company, we got 3 tickets.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Any opinions on which are the best / most useful WWDC videos to watch?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

PM me with your IM information, or I guess we could set up an IRC channel so you can spam someone who knows more than you with questions. That's how I learned - spamming my friend at Apple with requests for more information.

I would kill for an ios focused IRC channel. I don't have PMs, but if you set it up, please post here.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I've just created #appledevgoons on synirc. server is irc.synirc.net

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

DreadCthulhu posted:

Anybody here had a great time implementing auto-renewing iTunes subscriptions?

One quirk I'm trying to understand here: what happens when an auto-renewing subscription renews? The app somehow gets a call somewhere? Does Apple really push that to you?

Edit: apparently you can't use it unless you're pushing new fresh media every month. So basically it's not for SaaS, but for publishers. Ok.. Link

This is really lame - any chance they've changed that policy in the 1.5 years since that post was made?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I got you guys beat. I once cleared 10+ critical bugs that showed up out of the blue one day with a single character fix. instead of traversing an array element by element, I was just reading the first element over and over.

[someArray objectAtIndex:0] ... -> [someArray objectAtIndex:i]

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

Nice!

Also why weren't you using an iterator?

I was actually thinking that while I was writing out the post last night. I think I'm remembering the exact issue right, just that the change was "0" to "i" and it fixed any number of blockers. I'll try and figure out what it was.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

General tip for people looking for computer books - go to your local public library and see if they have a subscription to http://proquest.safaribooksonline.com/ - I can sign in using my library card and read full text versions of any technical books I can think of.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Blakles posted:

I'm trying to loop through all UISliders in the current view and get the value of each slider to pass to a different method. This is what I have so far:

code:
for(UIView *v in [self.view subviews])
{
	if ([v isKindOfClass:[UISlider class]])
        {
            NSLog(@"Slider tag = %i and value = %f", v.tag, v.value;
        }
}
I keep getting the error: Property 'value' not found on object of type 'UIView *'. Does anyone know how to do what I'm asking?

make it (UISlider *)v.value and it should work. The problem is to the compiler you're asking for a UIView's value. Despite your if clause only triggering if it's a UISlider, you still need to cast to UISlider each time you use something that's not included in a UIView.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

New dev tools?!

EDIT: Oh yeah, following the thread there, I just posted here cause holy poo poo that was unexpected.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 2, 2014

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ender.uNF posted:

It's like someone decided to fulfill the John Siracusa wish list, then struck a new filesystem from it so they'd still have something to troll him with.

Siracusa with nothing to complain about would wither and die.

Note: I love Siracusa and still mourn the end of Hypercritical. ATP is great but not the same.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Is anyone going to the NSMeetup at Dropbox in SF tonight on Swift and the future of Objective-C?

http://www.meetup.com/nsmeetup/events/190270702/

If so we should meet up and say hi.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I took YPLX4T4FMYWA, thanks very much!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

slogula posted:

Apologies if this has been asked recently, but could recommend a good introductory book/ tutorial for xcode 5.1.1? The links in the op haven't updated in just over a year and apple's "Your first mac app" tutorial is apparently out of date.

e: I'm overcoming the typos in the apple tutorial, but if anyone has a book on osx/ objective-c applications primer that they love, it'd be great to know.

I would read Kochan's book on objective-c, then Big Nerd Ranch + CS193P from stanford.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Kallikrates posted:

clean builds way more often now.

I am doing clean builds nearly every time I change more than one file at a time.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I've got a question about animations during presenting a view controller.

I'm on a details VC contained in a storyboard. when a user taps on a button and they aren't logged in, I present a signup/login VC loaded from its own xib.

the signup/login VC uses autolayout and reactive cocoa to decide which views to show.

The issue is that when the presentation completes and we see the new s/l on screen, all the subviews very quickly "slide in" from the right. their left edges are fixed, but their right sides appear to be animating to the left till they arrive at their final (correct) locations. It's a very obvious, but once I do other animations on the screen (hiding and showing different subviews) the effect disappears. it only happens when the VC is first presented.

Any ideas?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ideas for good iOS interview questions?

I just asked this of an intern candidate:

Grandparent retains parent. Parent retains child. Child retains parent. Grandparent releases parent. What happens and why is it bad?

response? blank stare. This is someone with published apps in the store.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Doc Block posted:

I still use an iPad 3 :mad:

I own and use a launch week iPad 1. as far as I'm concerned, Apple canceled iOS after 5.1.4, and we're all better off for it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Open source swift. drat.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Doc Block posted:

Why would you submit it to the App Store before testing?

At my last company we did this when we were reasonably certain testing would be good, to cut down on release times.

we'd ship a test build and submit, then start testing. if testing didn't uncover anything, we'd release the submitted build. If it did, we'd resubmit.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

https://www.macstories.net/linked/the-background-data-and-battery-usage-of-facebooks-ios-app/

I think we've got some fb ios people here - how does fb's app keep using data when the user has explicitly turned off background app refresh?

Is it by running silent audio in the background?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Doc Block posted:

Anybody else having a hard time updating to Xcode 7.1? I hit "Update" last night and then went to bed, and when I checked on it just now it still hadn't installed. Hitting the Update button in the Mac App Store does the usual thing for Xcode updates where it immediately makes the button available to be clicked again, with no indication as to whether or not the update is being downloaded & installed. (About Xcode reports 7.0.1)

Why does the Mac App Store app have to be such garbage?

This is also happening to me!

EDIT: WAS happening to me, all of a sudden it started downloading visibly in launchpad.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

One of the best icons I’ve seen in a long time, congrats on publishing. I’ll check it out.

What resources did you use to get into photo and filter stuff? I’ve never worked with the camera before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

https://forums.swift.org/t/accepted-se-0279-multiple-trailing-closures/36141/83

Why is this change so mind bending for the community? Wonder what the folks here think of it. I don't particularly like it and I don't think it will ever result in a breaking change due to abi stability but it's just not that big a deal.

I don't mind it for single closured-calls, but it's gonna be weird if the first of multiple closures trails without a label but all subsequents are labeled.