Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Small White Dragon posted:

Also, I just added an GLES2 pipeline, and I have the problem that sometimes it will run at full 60fps, and other times at will run at a fraction thereof. Anyone ever seen any like that?
Do you mean it slows down during different execution sessions, intermittently during a session, for short sustained periods or throughout an entire execution? Is your device performing any other activity during these slowdowns? Are you changing textures or mesh sizes?

Have you got a frame interval counter in your render loop to measure how long each slower running frame takes? Are they at even divisions of 60Hz? Does the problem exhibit itself when you target a 30fps frame rate?

As Ender.uNF suggests, have you tried profiling your app with Instruments and checked for memory leaks?

Is this running on OS X, iOS emulator or a real iOS device (if so, what generation)?

Without some real data we can only randomly guess at what may be causing your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

NOG posted:

But basically on the simulator, I get a message in the console "CCSpriteFrameCache: Trying to use file 'heroTestSheet.png' as texture" but everything seems to work fine. Putting it on to a device just gives me a white screen until it crashes and the console gives me a report. I saw this a lot of time has to do with filenames in my resources verses my code have different capital letters, but I've looked over all of them and even revealed them in the Finder to make sure. :confused:
Stick a breakpoint on the line which calls [[CCSpriteFrameCache sharedSpriteFrameCache] addSpriteFramesWithFile:@"heroTestSheet.plist"];

Then run your App on the device and step into the code line by line verifying that everything is working as you'd expect until you find the point at which Cocos is giving up on loading/creating the texture. That'll give you (and us) a big hint as to what's failing.

Cocos isn't a particularly fat framework and is pretty well structured & commented so you shouldn't be afraid to delve into its code to discover just what it's doing when expectations are being confounded.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Ender.uNF posted:

Apparently everyone here has plenty of testers and devices? Seriously... no one is interested in a testing/beta exchange to help test each other's apps?

I'm in. Can't have enough testers given the modern breadth of iOS devices, OSes and configurations out in the wild.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

2nd Rate Poster posted:

Can someone recommend a good merge tool that is not filemerge?

If you mean a visual merge tool then P4merge from the Perforce toolkit is pretty powerful and has been a great assistance for those rare but painful overly postponed cross-team mega-branch convergences.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

lord funk posted:

I'm writing an audio synthesis app that really pushes the processor to get every drop of power, and I've been developing on an iPad 2. I continue to optimize every ounce of performance out of my synthesis code, but I fear that I may need to make some cuts to the synthesis code itself to avoid sample dropping on the iPad 1. For example, I might need to drop the maximum voice polyphony. This would mean loading a lighter version of the synthesis graph.
S'up, audio programming comrade.

Has your synthesis sub-system got any self-monitoring metrics in it? My personal framework dynamically alters the polyphony (or, to be precise, starts stealing voices allocated to older sustained notes) when the render code gets dangerously close to supplying the next 256 samples late.

Thus it scales to the execution environment's capabilities without needing any device check and mostly avoids nasty drop outs even when running in the background or if the user is multi-tasking it with something that is greedy or spikey (e.g. notifications) with processor usage.

Of course, this may not be an applicable solution for you depending on exactly how you've structured your synth architecture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I hear ya. 8 voices is a good choice for polyphonic synths as it allows 2 reasonable chords to be played in sequence without cutting off the release of the prior, and constantly rendering voices is great for free-running LFOs and similar timbral motion.

Good luck with the beta and subsequent review and release! Are you also supporting CoreMIDI?