Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I was wondering if someone could point me to a couple of books where I could get started in programming iPhone apps.

ATM I've got a decent amount of free time at work and I've got some ideas for some very basic (for now) financial based apps that is basically for me and a couple of other people. Whether or not this is works is then where I decide to expand it a little.

My background isn't exactly programming but I have a decent amount of skill in html/css and some basic self taught stuff using python but after that its nothing. I have no idea if that helps at all.

So I need to know if the books reccommended in the op like this http://www.bookdepository.com/book/...one-Programming

will suit me? Or whether I should start right at the beginning with something like the dummies books or something else entirely and then work onto an iphone specific book.

This is just a side project and something I wouldn't mind doing as a hobby to see if I can make something workable and I'm not looking to make any money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I haven't looked at the book beyond the pages Amazon makes available, but based on that and a couple reviews I've seen, this book assumes no prior knowledge so I think you'll be ok. The annoying part is it doesn't cover Xcode 4 or iOS 4 (the next edition does but it's in pre-order right now), so you'll want to brush up on those separately if you go ahead with this book.

I taught myself without books (from the docs and searching elsewhere), so maybe someone who actually used books could weigh in.

Thanks. I just prefer to have a book on hand because I find I tend to read it more thoroughly than stuff on the web. Plus I get tired of staring at a screen all the time.