Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I think uploading is only an issue for large apps. Small apps you can do via the Web interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

pokeyman posted:

Under no circumstances should you start with C++, that will do nothing to help you. I'd skip C and jump right into Objective-C.
While I agree that C++ is of no use, I disagree with skipping C. Objective C is a superset of C, so knowing C is a useful.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KarmaticStylee posted:

I'm pretty sure I know the answer already but is there no way to program for iOS on a Windows machine?
Flash CS5 will build iOS apps on Windows, I think.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Any suggestions on good ARC tutorials for those who've been at this for a while?

Also - anybody have any QA firms they can recommend?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So, rjmccall, when can we expect C1X support in Clang? :)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Is there a good way to "debug" what your application has on iCloud?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bob Morales posted:

Dink around with Ruby/Python or something for a little bit and jump into C/Objective-C
As someone who spent a few years teaching programming, I'm going to second this advice.

C/C++/ObjC are comparatively difficult and not good starter languages for novices.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Well I'm looking forward to seeing a retina screen iPad simulator.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
What's the equivalent of "backtrace" on the LLVM debugger?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Looks like Xcode 4.3.1 has finally dropped.

edit: haha, the retina iPad simulator scrolls.

edit 2: I wonder what the maximum texture size is.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 8, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'm developing a command line OS X utility in Xcode.

Is there a way to get Xcode to put resources with the resultant binary for testing purposes?

When I run it in 4.3.1, sometimes the debugger window at the bottom vanishes as soon as the utility has finished running -- which is annoying, since I wanted to see its output. Any idea how I can get fix this?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

duck monster posted:

Command line stuff is pretty much mach-o (like linux's elf) is a single-stream file, so you'll need to put your support resources somewhere hardwired, or perhaps specified in a .ini file or something.

~/Library/Application Support/<your app> is as good a place as any.

Keep in mind .app files are actually just little directorys of files with some mac-gui magic to make them pretend to be a single file.

You *could* put it relative to the binary and then use a symlink to hook it to /usr/bin if you wish. That'd probably work I guess.
I'm aware of the structure, I just wanted to know if I could get Xcode to copy test files into the same directory rather than hardcoding a bunch of paths in the binary.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
What tools (if any) are people using for Project Management?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Glad I didn't want to go to WWDC that badly this year. Tickets went on sale at 5:30am Pacific Time, and sold out in two hours :psyduck:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Is there a way to determine what kind of event is putting the application in the background?

Are there any calls/events I can listen for other than "applicationWillResignActive" and "applicationDidEnterBackgriund:" events?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Rather than writing it in Objective C and porting it later for Android, I'd like to try simultaneous development for an upcoming project. Anybody else doing this, and if so, what are you using? MonoTouch?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So top rumor on MacRumors is that we might actually see third-party apps on the AppleTV.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Kallikrates posted:

I think someone at apple read texts from XCode.
Did they fix some of this?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
The redemption codes you can generate for your app -- can they still only be used in the US?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I notice Clang is now auto-generating variables for @properties. It's generating errors in projects I've ported from Xcode 4.3, and frankly, I don't want it to do this. How do I turn this off?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Has anyone had issues with MPVolumeView not showing up at all? (Seems to occur on both simulator and device!)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

ultramiraculous posted:

FYI: This took me way too long to figure out, but apparently the the way to get an existing app to start doing 4" layouts is to define a 4"-sized default image in the project file. Did I miss some documentation on this?
Is there a set naming convention for this, ala @2x files?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

lord funk posted:

Is there a clever way to force -viewDidUnload to simulate performance with low memory conditions? I'm only getting the unloaded view action about 15% of the time when I test for it, and I'd rather just trigger it and see what happens.
The simulator does have a menu option to simulate low memory condition actions.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Is there a way to designate a different minimum OS version for iPhone/iPod vs iPad?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

tarepanda posted:

They will not have any network access.
How do you enforce that?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I know it represents a shrinking portion of the market, but I'm kind of bummed that XCode 4.5 doesn't support armv6.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody know of a way to get a modal UINavigationController (and its children) to re-lay themselves out after hiding/showing the statusbar?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'm trying NSMetadataQuery to let iCloud let me know of updates.

However:
code:
            query.predicate = [NSPredicate predicateWithFormat:@"%K LIKE '*'", NSMetadataItemFSNameKey];
            query.searchScopes = [NSArray arrayWithObject:
                                  NSMetadataQueryUbiquitousDocumentsScope];

// Subscribe to query updates
            [[NSNotificationCenter defaultCenter] addObserverForName:
             NSMetadataQueryDidUpdateNotification  .....
only seems to let me know when files are added/deleted, and not when they're updated.

Any suggestions?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Is this the appropriate thread to discuss MonoTouch? Or Flash/Flex?

(If anybody else is using that. Trying it currently.)

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 6, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody have experience with Airplay?

I'm curious how to output different content to the second display than you display on the iOS device itself.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I have a bunch of view controller inside a UITabBarController.

In one instance, I'd like to hide the tab bar on demand (typically when certain views are rotated into landscape).

Any idea on how to do this? I tried self.tabBarController.tabBar.hidden = YES but that just leaves an unusable space at the bottom. :(

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody have any good scripts for retrieving exchange rates from iTunes Connect?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

gooby on rails posted:

If this is for an IAP store, it's not exposed like that, you're expected to retrieve the price in local currency from the SKProduct and the currency symbol from the locale.
No, I don't mean in-app, I actually mean retrieving the information about your proceeds on iTunes Connect.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

j4on posted:

Lurker checking in. We didn't write a single line of C, but we just released an app written in AS3 and compiled through Flash CS6. Anyone else using that workflow? If anyone has questions about that, I'd be happy to answer what I can. Generally I'm really glad we chose to go that way.
Did you also release it for Android or any other platforms?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anyone have any recommendations for services for a team to share large art assets?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I thought I saw something about making or accessing iTunes purchases in-app? (Not purchases related to your app, but generic music, video, .etc) Am I imagining things?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

pokeyman posted:

I'm not really sure what you're asking for but maybe SKStoreProductViewController?
That will do the trick! Well, it should anyway, but it doesn't seem to accept some media types. Bug tracker time!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Kind of random, but:

I see some Android phones are sporting ~460 dpi displays. What do people think the chances are we see an "@3x" display soon?

Anyone know the Apple policy on using "Retina" in an app title?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

ultramiraculous posted:

I've got a pretty sessy hack that automagically replaces images with their iPhone 5/tallified equivalent, if available. Swizzling meant that I could completely avoid keeping up with a bunch of if/else statements and separate nibs. I would have released it, but I didn't want it to end up on the Apple police's list of things to capriciously look for. In the end, I'm just mad that Apple didn't add something like "@2x" for tall assets, because that's basically what I wedged in there.
Does iOS no longer automatically load the 568h@2x images? I know it used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I remember hearing back in the day that you could only expand the devices supported in App Updates, and not reduce. However, using a recent Xcode means no mean armv7 and a higher minimum iOS target in an update, I assume that is okay?