Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I heard that the App Store is now offering older App versions for older devices. Is there any documentation on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody know what, if any, changes have been made to video encoding specs in iOS 7? I have a bunch of videos that play without audio, even though they were fine on every previous iOS release and device.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Is it possible to have separate icon(s) for iOS 7+?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Does it take a while for devices to register?

I tried to update an iPad to 7.1 beta about an hour ago, and got this message:

"This device is not registered as part of the iPad Developer Program."

Sure enough, it wasn't, so I added, but it still won't activate.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Does anyone know what accounting method Apple uses on the 1099K's? Their numbers don't seem to jive with what was actually paid.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

NoDamage posted:

Is this the first year they've actually sent any out?
I believe so. I've never received or heard of one, previously.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

lord funk posted:

Going to ask my accountant in about a month. I'm assuming that it'll end up the same as reporting the actual payments, seeing as how the difference is Apple's cut and a fully deductible business expense.
I doubt it will be that easy, frankly. There are apparently a number of things (like returns) which Apple reports as paid to you, even though they were not.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Apple acquired Testflight, right? Do you still have to send people an invite and have them accept, or if there UUID is registered, can you still anonymously send them the email?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So I have to make a minor update to an app that last shipped before the iPhone 6 came out; I know you should, but are you obligated to provide iPhone 6 native resolution assets? Can you no longer manually construct views?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I've seen the code to offer a "preview" of a controller with 3d touch, but is an API (or 3rd party component) to do a 3d touch context menu like on the home screen?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Doh004 posted:

I haven't done it yet, but this tutorial worked for me when implementing it within our application:

http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ios-9-an-introduction-to-3d-touch--cms-25115

Check out section 4, but from a quick glance:

- You can specify static shortcut items in your Info.plist
- You can dynamically create shortcut items
- You handle the shortcuts in your app delegate in
code:
func application(application: UIApplication, performActionForShortcutItem shortcutItem: UIApplicationShortcutItem, completionHandler: (Bool) -> Void)
Sorry, let me clarify - I want to have a similar menu inside the application?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Ignoring Xcode and similar full-blown IDEs, what graphical OSX-based editors are popular here these days for simple code/script/.etc work?

(Specifically, for a lot of HTML/CSS/JS, PHP, Python, Shell scripts, and things like that.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Any recommendations on a resource to learn Swift for established ObjC devs? Most stuff I see seems oriented towards new developers.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So I re-wrote a couple of small Objective C apps in Swift, and I noticed they're substantially larger, I think primarily due to the inclusion of several swift dylibs in the IPA. Wouldn't this be something that would normally be included in the OS?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Can I have my account be part of two developer teams, or do I have to create a second Apple ID?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
It's been a while since I started on a new app, is Firebase the preferred way to get analytics and so forth?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

pokeyman posted:

Firebase is still a thing and seems to work ok.

Just curious if there was something else that's preferred these days?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
....So now you can build on iPadOS?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Having a discussion with another dev, Google has not been as helpful as I'd hoped, so figured I'd see if folks know --

If my MacOS app needs some .dylibs -- not entire frameworks, just single compiled libraries -- where are these supposed to go in the app bundle?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
The reason this came up is that it seems like the behavior is different in Monterey than previous OS releases... for whatever reason.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Oh man, I heard Russia has been banned from Swift.

In all seriousness, are Russian developers/purchasers cut off from the App Store now?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Plorkyeran posted:

It's really cool how Apple just decides that certain method names are forbidden on the app store with zero announcement or warning. Are we supposed to be scraping all of the private frameworks for selector names every time we name something to make sure we don't accidentally overlap?

At least back in the day, if you really wanted to, you could dynamically construct those undocumented selectors in code and it would pass the test.

Not that I'm suggesting anyone do this.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I've been out of the iOS game for a while, and I have a Xamarin app that runs fine on iOS.

Are launch images still supported these days, or is that no longer supported?

Is there a way to handle the iPad status bar and make sure I can accept touches under that area?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Is Xcode 14.1 not out yet? I wasn't sure if upgrading to iOS 16.1/iPad OS 16.1 would cause issues with Xcode 14.0.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Apparently Cameron v Apple is paying out settlements although I haven't seen anything yet.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I need some GPU features that don't work on A8 (or earlier) chips. Not that I expect there are a ton of these still floating around in active use, but is there a way to specify that in Info.plist rather than just "Hey, this won't work if you have these models" in the App Store description?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

101 posted:

A look at the Wikipedia page seems to suggest no devices on iOS 16 run A8s, so you could specify a minimum that way?

Hm, I have an A8 AppleTV which runs tvOS 16

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

go play outside Skyler posted:

Maybe stating the obvious here but I think the best way to handle that situation would be to implement a CPU fallback.

I appreciate the suggestion --- it's a nice idea; we had briefly looked into it but it seems like it'd be a huge investment for... probably very little return.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Apple never implemented a way to charge for major upgrades to iOS apps, did they?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Is there a name for the thing that lets you run iOS apps on an ARM Mac? I found an issue exclusive to this scenario but it's hard to google for.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

rjmccall posted:

Mac Catalyst?

I think this is a toolkit for building iOS and MacOS applications simultaneously. I'm just referring to the ability to run an iOS app/game on an ARM Mac, even one that wasn't necessarily designed with this in mind (although developers can specifically prohibit this).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

commie kong posted:

How about universal binaries?

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple-silicon/building-a-universal-macos-binary

They also use "silicon" while referring to compatible macs, which might help your searches

Just to clarify, I'm just talking about the ability to run iOS apps on ARM-based Macs, rather than building a dual iOS/Mac app. Yes, I realize the later can be done, but right now some apps can't due to other technical or contractual issues.

haveblue posted:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple-silicon/running-your-ios-apps-in-macos

This page doesn't use a specific term to name the feature, it's just a build/distribution option to share the same binary instead of making two, or to make it iOS-only, and it's allowed by the existence of Catalyst. So it's probably correct to refer to doing this as "using Catalyst".

Can you say more about the issue you're encountering?

I actually think I tracked it down. The issue was about keypresses in a third-party library. Turns out their UIView called [super ...] on a lot of the presses handlers, which would cause MacOS to emit a system beep for certain keys even if the keypress was handled.

Not many people test iOS apps this way on Macs (and I don't blame them, I'm not sure how to offhand), so it's unsurprising to me that it wouldn't get noticed.

EDIT: Also, I assumed that "UISupportsTrueScreenSizeOnMac" flag means iOS app windows can be resized but I guess not?

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 16, 2023

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Where do you find crash reports on App Store Connect these days? I know they used to be there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Seems like every time I hook up my iOS device to test, the "trust this computer?" prompt re-appears. Is there no a longer way to tell it to always trust this same computer?