Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't have experience licensing fonts for games, but I've done it in the publishing and printing world. Someone, somewhere, owns the copyright to that font. They're probably buried under a mountain of google results that let you have it for free, but they are out there. Hard part is that most licenses (like if you bought them from Adobe), it's a per-computer license. You have no privileges to distribute it.

Odds are good that you could use it without license and never get caught, but be in a world of hurt if you do get caught.

A quick google for musical notation fonts turned up this:

http://www.music-notation.info/en/compmus/musicfonts.html

Which at least lists who owns the copyright, so you can contact them for information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sevenflow posted:

The only issue with this is that you won't be able to really project before hand, you'll have to test on every frame. Which is fine, it's a really cheap operation.

Wouldn't that be a preferred design anyway? It saves a lot of re-writing if the game ever has to test for collisions against objects that are moving.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NOG posted:

-A path of rects to precheck collision before movement
-Check collision per frame (I think I'd prefer this, but speed? Also could I get some idea of how this is done)
-Use Box 2D (Unnecessary?)

Pre-checking can get really expensive, as scene complexity rises, the check will have to spend more time testing everything. Runs the risk of getting to a point where a player clicking results in a perceptible drop in framerate before action resumes (if you've ever played Dwarf Fortress, this is one of the biggest performance hits in the game, entities picking their route before doing it).

Per frame checks are well-studied and there is a lot of discussion out there on how to optimize them. It is true that testing every single frame will increase render time, but you're spreading the workload over a span of several seconds.. which translates into a smoother performance with fewer spikes.

I don't really have an opinion on box2d, I've experimented with it and it seems able to handle a hundred or more physics objects without breaking a sweat, so I'm sure it would work, but on the other hand, you miss out on the educational aspect of doing your own collision.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Xcode 4 is a complete redesign, none of the documentation has caught up. Same features are there, you just gotta hunt around for them.

Dig up a download of Xcode 3.. the documentation will match a lot better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

I wish I knew why Apple is so NDA-happy about this stuff. Anyone with a pulse can get a free basic developer account. All it takes is a hundred bucks to get access to the prerelease SDK, and the tech press is perfectly happy breaking the NDA anyway.

Apple didn't get its reputation for being one of the most litigious out there for no reason!

My suspicion is they just want it as an option to sue the poo poo out of someone who starts talking bad about their stuff in public.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eggplant posted:

I am using an older (2007) MBP, not planning to upgrade to Lion yet. I need to reinstall Xcode 4, but the app store only provides the lion-only 4.1 now. Is there a way to get a previous version?

You can get dmg files via the Apple developer site.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think he meant race as in runners or cars trying to finish a course first.

vv they call me the humor slayer.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 20, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think there's a big difference between "learning to program" and "developing for iOS".

Jumping right into a tightly controlled environment like an iPhone incurs a huge learning curve that may scare off someone who's not really sure what to do.

I'd back off on scope for a little while.. pick up one of the scripting languages that are out there (python is my favorite but there are several to choose from) and make a couple cheesy text based games. This develops a foundation that you can build off and it will make the entire process more tolerable. Eventually you can add graphics into your projects and once you get a grasp of that, the sky's the limit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gordon Cole posted:

How is downloading an app and giving fake reviews not manipulating rankings?

But they're not fake! The reviewers actually downloaded the app and "took a look" at it, so clearly it is an unbiased objective review that just so happened to have some financial motivation behind it.

If there's one thing the internet loves, it's some astroturfing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bumnuts posted:

Is there a limit to the size of a URL? I'm sending binary data in a query parameter to an app's custom URL scheme and it has worked so far with around 400kb of data. Is there a maximum that I will eventually hit?

I don't think there's a standardized limit, but over the years web browsers have had a habit of placing arbitrary limits on the length of an url.

I would suggest that for sending that much data, use the POST method and send the data in a variable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did you try Photosynth? I can't remember if it does hotspots, but as a panoramic image creator it's one of the coolest things I've come across.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This says to me that Apple should release a Retina Cinema Display. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's been my experience as well. I'm not "a developer" but I've done hobbyist grade programming for 25 years and it's been a big struggle figuring out xcode and swift.

A couple weeks ago I got this itch for an app that I figured was small enough in scope that I could pull it off and getting anywhere has been agony. All documentation assumes you're already familiar with every component of ios development so there's a huge chicken/egg problem. Tutorials or code samples are problematic too because they're always 3+ years old and refuse to compile because of regularly shifting requirements in xcode so there's a big rabbit hole of googling the error and getting sucked into documentation that loops back to my first complaint.