Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
So I'm getting an ultra-generously donated older Mac Mini soon. Thing is, I don't know if it's a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo, only that it's a fairly early one with a gig of RAM. Am I gonna be able to develop iOS/OSX apps on it if it's a Core Duo? Either way, I'm gonna use it for web development (not a lot of processing power needed there), but it'd be awesome if I could start on iOS development too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Hey, just started iOS coding a couple days ago. It's been fun.

One thing I've been wondering is the best way to pattern a view created in code. I have an app that creates a new view (page) for every entry it loads. The method for doing so is here:

https://github.com/thomasboyt/goonsay-ios/blob/master/goonsay/ViewController.m#L78

Right now, it seems kind of overly monolithic. My major concern, though, is that I'm basically just editing that code when I want to change things like font size or padding. I'm a web guy; I'm used to defining that separately.

Would it be better to make a big constants file that would have FONT_SIZE, HEADER_PADDING, etc.? Or is there a better way to architect something like this?

This was the only relevant thing I could find on Stack Overflow. The way the OP does it seems like it might be overkill, but I hate using defines for constants like two of the answerers suggest. Hmm.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 6, 2012

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

gooby on rails posted:

How much does the layout or set of fields in each view vary? If they answer is "little to none", you could create a xib file template and load it repeatedly to instantiate several copies of it.

I heard about this from someone in IRC, and it sounds awesome, but I can't find any tutorials on how to load an XIB like that. I'm probably just not googling for the right stuff, but if you could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it :)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Wanted to run a probably-bad idea past all y'all iOS devs before I start getting too deep in the woods with it.

I've been working on a silly browser game called Manygolf for the past few months, and thought it would be really awesome to ship a native iOS application. The game itself is an HTML5 Canvas app, and runs just fine on mobile Safari or in a WKWebView.

So, my first question, which I basically already know the answer to: is there any chance in hell that Apple would accept an application that is literally just a WebView? Like, very literally? Like, this is the entire app?

I mean, theoretically there's a bit more code I'd write: something to handle starting the app offline (right now it actually loads the cached site, but I think that gets cleared when you're low on disk space and there's not a drat thing I can do about it, plus there's the edge case of first-time startup offline), some code that handles the app being closed/opened/terminated, etc. But, conceptually, is there any chance in hell Apple's gonna approve this even with that bit of polish?

Assuming the answer is "no," I'm guessing what I'd have to do is actually bundle the JS app locally instead of pointing the web view at a remote page. This would be fine except I want to iterate way more quickly than the App Store's turnaround time allows. What I'd like to do is bundle whatever the latest revision of the Manygolf JS app is at the time I make a build, then use something to push new assets (JS/HTML/CSS/images/whatevs) to the app.

I've seen CodePush, which sounds promising, except that it seems to be targeted only at Cordova and React Native apps. I suppose I could give Cordova a shot, though I've heard bad things. So, are there any other tools for this? Or would it be relatively easy to build this sync/cache feature (ideally without reimplementing HTTP caching from square one)?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

well, rule 2.12 is weird because it lumps "web sites bundled as Apps" in with non-technical things

quote:

Apps that are not very useful, unique, are simply web sites bundled as Apps, or do not provide any lasting entertainment value may be rejected

but, assuming that's the case, there's then theoretically some leeway where you get to no longer "simply be a web site bundled as an App." like, let's say I had a Twitter share button that used the native iOS Twitter sharing thing, is that "no longer just a web site?"

I don't think it's as simple as "WebView-only apps get rejected," because then Cordova wouldn't exist, right?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

yeah, to be clear my concern isn't with the web view itself, as much as it is a hosted web view, which is, well, quite literally a bundled web site

(maybe if I just made the index.html bundled but made the JS and image assets remote it would fool them :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Anyone here have any success shipping a an app that's primarily a webview wrapper to the iOS App Store? I've got a little personal project - a social media web app for sharing songs with your friends and listening back to them through Spotify/Apple Music - that I'd like to make a native app for, but I don't really have the time to make iOS and Android versions of my app from scratch. I would be using several native features: native Spotify/Apple Music SDKs (instead of their JS equivalents), native share target for posting songs, and push notifications.

Apple's guidelines for this have been more or less the same for the past few years, from what I can tell:

quote:

4.2 Minimum Functionality

Your app should include features, content, and UI that elevate it beyond a repackaged website.

I like to think these new features would, uh, "elevate it" (god they really do use the most vague and obnoxious language for these guidelines huh), but I'm not sure what Apple reviewers would think.

So, I'm curious if any of y'all have had any experience with shipping (or trying to ship) a mostly-webview app in the past couple years, and how that's gone. I guess I could build a mostly webview version for iOS and Android, get it out on Android since that's easy, and if it gets rejected by Apple, learn... React Native or some poo poo to build a cross-platform app?