Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I paid for Xcode 4, but downloaded Xcode 3 since all my old books and most guides I've seen cover that.

I went to run an app on my iPhone and then hit an error since the latest Xcode 3 SDK is 4.3 only (why??) and my iPhone is running 4.2.1. I had to Google for the older SDK download links. (I have 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 SDKs backed up now.)

I'm not liking Interface Builder at all so far. Many guides I've seen show someone just coding interface elements instead of using the builder.
Is it just universally not liked?

Most of my iOS books cover iOS 2.0. Any big things I need to be aware of that changed for iOS 3 or 4?
I noticed that when I created a test app, my iPhone sent it to the background instead of closing it when I hit Home. I'm guessing multi-tasking support is on by default for 4.0+ SDKs (my old book warns that the app is killed when you hit Home, so I wasn't sure if you needed to do something extra in iOS4 SDK to allow it to stay open).

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Ender.uNF posted:

One of the big improvements in Xcode 4 is an integrated Interface Builder, which makes it much closer to the Visual Studio experience. You still have to manually hook up actions (event handlers) and outlets (named code reference to the control on the form), but now you can drag and drop them from the visual designer surface to the code in the assistant window.

Can I install Xcode 4 over Xcode 3 and keep using the iOS 4.2 SDK??

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

OHIO posted:

You should be compiling with the latest SDK, but you can set your "Deployment Target" to something earlier so you can run it on your phone.

Right now, I'm only running the apps on jailbroken phones running 4.2.1. I wanted to make sure anything I do works on the 3G & 3GS first.

I just know when I downloaded "xcode_3.2.6_and_ios_sdk_4.3.dmg" (the latest Xcode 3 on Apple's site), it ONLY let me compile using the iOS SDK 4.3 for the physical device. It let me pick "iOS 4.3" or "Latest iOS (4.3)". No option for anything earlier. I of course got an error when it put the app on my phone, since I'm not running 4.3/4.3.1 (yet - I'm waiting on the untethered jailbreak).

I downloaded "xcode_3.2.5_and_ios_sdk_4.2_final.dmg" from apple.com to get the 4.2 SDK. Then I could run it on my phone.

I was just guessing that I could install Xcode 3 w/ the 4.2 SDK and then "upgrade" to Xcode 4 with the 4.3 SDK in the hopes it would still let me compile for 4.2, but with the new Xcode 4 interface.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Ok, I put Xcode 4 back on and found where to lower the target device to 4.1 or 4.2.

It compiles and installs the program direct to my iPhone now, thanks. If I actually manage to write anything, I may pay the $99 developers fee. Right now I'm just doing jailbreak-only stuff.

The Xcode 4 interface is a lot nicer than the Xcode 3 interface.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I didn't have an Intel Mac for a long time, either.

For around $0-$300 though, you can upgrade one of your computers to a nice Hackintosh that would work GREAT as a development platform.
I grabbed a $60 CPU, $50 motherboard, and a $29 copy of OS X and upgraded one of my old computers. It is just insane how well it performs for how little it cost.
You can try to get a used Mac Mini if you don't want to do a Hackintosh.

Keep in mind that you're going to have to spend a _least_ $100 a year if you want to get your stuff on the App Store. It looks like you'd have to spend at least $200 a year with that Corona stuff.

You can run stuff on you and your friends' iOS devices for free if they're jailbroken though.
Some of my crap apps are on my phone. I had to patch Xcode and install something called "AppSync" on my phone to allow unsigned apps to be ran (from what I've seen, that tool is mostly used for piracy instead of development).
I have a simple app on my iPhone 3GS that just makes note of a button push (chapter 2 from some book I looked at). I haven't worked on the app much; I just wanted to see how easy it was to get some working program on my phone without signing up for the developer program.

I suck at programming, but it has fascinated me since the early 1980s. I've bought some old iOS programming books, but I may need to pick up some Objective-C books.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

ultramiraculous posted:

The automatic app updates thing has me so happy. The John McCain users who just don't update their apps for no apparent reason are the worst.

To be fair, some updates aren't the best. YouTube apps that remove caching, or audio apps that remove some codec, or some other app update that includes a changelog like "don't download this update, it breaks lots of poo poo and deletes all your stuff."

I'm guessing "auto update" can be turned off. But a "DO NOT NOTIFY ME OF UPDATES" option for individual apps would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I believe it is a pay product on Cydia, but is there an open-source equivalent to "WiFi Analyzer" for iOS?

I'm testing some access points, my only options seem to be hauling my heavy MacBook Pro around or bringing in an Android device to check signal strength and AP visibility.