Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skidooer
Aug 6, 2001

UraniumAnchor posted:

I was trying to find information on if using Lua is feasible in an iOS app but it seems that Apple has rules against using scripting languages
Wax will allow you to write your entire app in Lua, so it is definitely feasible.

Scripting is fine as long as the script is bundled with the app. It's scripts that are downloaded later, after the app is installed, that Apple has issues with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skidooer
Aug 6, 2001

fankey posted:

It's possible the encoding was the problem but I'm not sure what else to try.
Make sure your web server supports HTTP ranges. The well known ones like Apache typically do, but if you are using something a little more esoteric, it might not.

skidooer
Aug 6, 2001
I'm very new to OpenGL and 3D in general. I started learning how to do the modelling a month or so back and now I'm starting to focus on the programming end of the spectrum, specifically for iOS.

I'm trying to draw what is essentially a line using GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP. I've created an array of vertices (the dots in the image below) and I'm expecting that it should look something like this:

Now what is strange is that my solution works perfectly in the simulator, but when I tried to install it on the device I see almost nothing, just a few strange artifacts. If I change the drawing mode to GL_LINES, I do get the horizontal lines, as expected.

I am assuming the simulator uses OpenGL and I'm exploiting something that isn't supported by OpenGL ES. Do I have to redefine a previous vertex to complete the triangle? I was assuming it would figure that on its own. Is there a better approach? I need more control than what GL_LINE_STRIP offers, so I do not think it is a viable alternative.

Edit: Turns out bad data was being copied to the device, but not the simulator. It wasn't the drawing routines at all. Though I am still curious if there are any OpenGL gotchas between the simulator and the actual device.

skidooer fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 18, 2011

skidooer
Aug 6, 2001

Doc Block posted:

Lemme just go ahead and post this: UIWebView Must Die
Ah, that takes me back to the time I wrote my own HTML renderer before CoreText was available. Fun times. Funnily enough, I just started playing with CoreText last night. Who says it isn't copy/paste-able? :)

skidooer
Aug 6, 2001

mc.schroeder posted:

Wait, are you saying you implemented your own custom text selection, which works and behaves exactly like the native one, including markers, loupe and so on, directly on top of low-level CoreText APIs? In one night?
I wish. No, it is UITextView backed, so it uses the native controls. It works very well for what I need, though I realize that wouldn't be suitable for all situations. I just was poking fun at one of the comments in the article.

skidooer
Aug 6, 2001

Flobbster posted:

Wait, so you implemented a UITextView that does syntax coloring? Can you give any tips?
It was pretty easy, really. I inserted a custom view that does the CoreText drawing into the UITextView view hierarchy and used a UITextViewDelegate to tell the custom view when the text has changed and needs to be redrawn. The trick is to use the same font all the way through, otherwise your text will not line up with the cursor/other controls.

I will note that UITextView isn't really designed to be used this way so use at your own peril. It would be a pretty nice addition to the SDK though, given how easy it would be to add.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skidooer
Aug 6, 2001

lord funk posted:

Looks good, but I don't know if my laziness about manually typing things in is worth $50. :v:

If it is your app, all of the reviews are accessible in iTunes Connect in plain old HTML. There is a link the them on the version detail page; the same place the promo codes button is.

skidooer fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 7, 2012