Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I have a client that offers free and paid video seminars for professional education credit. On the PC side we built a Silverlight client that among other things tracks the individual users progress through the video so, for example, we can see that a particular user watched a video all the way through, or in the case of VOD, if they watched part of it then came back later, we can have the client resume where they left off.

They want to move in to offering mobile video now, and while we know how to deploy and stream/encode/etc the video itself we've run in to a wall on tracking clients in mobile settings. For embedded HTML 5 video we may be able to use JS for client side tracking updates. However many phones, including the iPhone, won't play embedded video, instead launching their own video player. This is fine, however I am not sure how we can track that, at least on the client side.

Anyone have any ideas on directions to look in? And if you know how to do it/have this experience and are available (and allowed) to get some consulting cash let me know because that would work too.

I know a native app would probably make this a lot easier, and we may eventually go that route, but I'm trying to see if there is a way to do it inside a mobile browser as well. There are companies that claim they do it, but I've never seen it in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

pokeyman posted:

currentTime works great on my iPad running iOS 4.3, even switching to/from fullscreen.

edit: I used this little page to test it out. View source to see what I did.

Holy poo poo you just made my entire week. If you are interested in a short side project for cash PM me, I'm dead serious. I'm not talking about 50 bucks or something either, quote me your hourly rate.

Edit: Yep, works perfect on the iPhone and Android too! Android is being a bitch though - my Xoom tablet should play the html 5 video embedded, like the iPad does, but it doesn't, it just loads a default player control bar that when touched launches the video in the fullscreen internal player. Still tracks, but a pain in the rear end. Not a topic for the iPhone dev thread though so I'll shut up now :)

Ixian fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 1, 2011