Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

aehiilrs posted:

What is the current wait time for a corporate developer program enrolment? My boss applied near the beginning of February and there's still no word on it.

Is there a chance this is hung up with someone further up the management chain in my company who they have called to verify stuff with?

Seconding the suggestion to call Apple's dev program desk; every time I've called them I've found them to be pretty helpful and knowledgable.

Your boss should be also able to login to the dev portal using their Apple ID, and it will tell you where your application stands. If it is in fact hung up with them trying to get in touch with the person who can legally bind your company in a contract, it would say so there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

I noticed that when I created a test app, my iPhone sent it to the background instead of closing it when I hit Home. I'm guessing multi-tasking support is on by default for 4.0+ SDKs (my old book warns that the app is killed when you hit Home, so I wasn't sure if you needed to do something extra in iOS4 SDK to allow it to stay open).

The base case with iOS 4 is when someone hits the home button, the app gets frozen in memory, so things "look" like they're running in the background. The runtime calls applicationDidEnterBackground on your delegate so you can save state, because iOS may end up recovering the memory and your app will cold start next time the user hits the icon from the springboard.

Similarly you get call to applicationWillEnterForeground when your app gets woken back up, in case you need to undo anything you did when you were going to go into the background.

The appearance of backgrounding is stuff you get for free. To actually do stuff in the background you need to declare ahead of time in your Info.plist what you're going to do, with the UIBackgroundModes key.

http://developer.apple.com/library/...dExecution.html

Edit: In terms of books, I actually had good luck first getting the "Cocoa Programming" book by Aaron Hillegass, and first learning how Cocoa works on OS X. It explained a ton of details about Cocoa that some of the iPhone-specific books gloss over with a "you don't need to know this just now, just remember to say @property(nonatomic, retain) to declare properties."

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 3, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Nybble posted:

I'm in the process of creating a company. My incorporation is almost complete, but there are a few more steps left. In the meantime while the lawyers are taking care of that, I would like to start doing some programming. Since eventually I will be signing up through the Apple Dev program as a company, and not an individual, should I just buy XCode now, and sign up later for the program? It seems like from Modig's experience, it can take some time anyway. (Also, I'm impatient)

Edit: My impatience took over. What's 5 bucks? Chump change, that's what. If anyone has any experience with signing up a company with the Developer program I'd love to hear about it. Ease of signing up, what all they required (like EID or other papers), etc. Thanks!

This is a reply that's a week late, but I signed up as an individual so I could test on my device and then had my account converted to a company account when I was ready to sell stuff. Took only about a week to change it over and I just had to fax over a copy of the incorporation certificate I got from the state to document the company.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

modig posted:

Should I not sell an App as an individual?
You certainly can. I already had an LLC for my programming-related side jobs and I realized it would be easier for my accountant to handle everything come tax time if I did my App Store shenanigans under that LLC too.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Nybble posted:

This is great to know. I think I'm about done with incorporation anyway, but haven't gotten word from Delaware yet. I may end up doing this. Does it show your name and your company next to your app? Or just the company?

Just the company, same as it is if you were EA, Rovio or some other huge publisher.

The one caveat I've heard is to not set up your tax/banking info in iTunes Connect until you've converted your account. It was smooth sailing for me because I did absolutely nothing in ITC until after I converted.

But, I saw a blog post or two out there suggesting that if you already load your personal SSN, etc. in there and then converted, you can't just go in and change it to your corporate EIN and other info, and someone from Apple would have to take care of that for you. I don't know how much truth there is to it but I'd throw it out there.

Also, during the week or so it takes them to ask for and review your documents and convert your account, your account is locked out of the developer program website. Apple should remind you of this when you call in to start the conversion, but be sure to snag all your provisioning profiles and signing certificates you need to continue developing before you go through the process. Whatever you have saved in Xcode will still work, and converting won't invalidate the keys, but you'll temporarily lose access to the online provisioning portal and you might risk losing the ability to test on your device for a week if you don't save all your app signing related crap.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 3, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I've made about $350 on a very niche app since releasing it 3 months ago. Honestly I'm really surprised it's made that much, and I continue to get a download or two a day usually. For what basically amounted to a weekend project, that doesn't seem like a terribly bad return on my time.

I have a few more ideas with wider appeal, so I hope I will have better results later this summer when I time to get those out the door.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

pokeyman posted:

As far as I know it's replaced with the Developer NDA, so you still can't talk about session contents on a forum such as this one.

I wish I knew why Apple is so NDA-happy about this stuff. Anyone with a pulse can get a free basic developer account. All it takes is a hundred bucks to get access to the prerelease SDK, and the tech press is perfectly happy breaking the NDA anyway.

It seems to stifle interaction between developers since you are not supposed to talk about it under except under the watchful gaze of Apple's dev forum. I remember 2 years ago (the last year Apple didn't post these sessions) a guy in my local Cocoa dev social group went to WWDC. From the way he refused to talk about any of it under pain of the WWDC NDA, you'd think he was protecting nuclear weapons secrets, not iOS 3.0 APIs.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

xzzy posted:

Apple didn't get its reputation for being one of the most litigious out there for no reason!

My suspicion is they just want it as an option to sue the poo poo out of someone who starts talking bad about their stuff in public.

It did occur to me just now it might be because the presence of a feature in a beta OS image or SDK libraries could be taken as a commitment to actually deliver it in a final build. That way if some beta feature ends up getting axed before release and TUAW or Techcrunch tries to crucify them for it, Apple Legal can send them something reminding them that they shouldn't have talked about Fight Club. Or if some end user sues, Apple can shoot it down by saying the user should never have known about it anyway.

I used to work for a big software company that did something similar. They didn't NDA the heck out of everything, but every brochure, PowerPoint deck, etc that discussed planned features had a standard disclaimer that said we in no way were committing to deliver anything in there -- so don't go dropping a few hundred grand on our software and then sue us when some feature isn't in the box.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 27, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ender.uNF posted:

Man, I'm creating a new account for an LLC and the hoops you need to jump through are amazing. They now want notarized copies of the partnership agreement. Why the Secretary of State's letter accepting the LLC isn't enough I'll never know...

So word to the wise kids... You'll need the following to open a corporate developer account:

+ SoC letter/acknowledgment of your LLC formation
+ Partnership or operating agreement, signed and notarized
+ A letter on company letterhead stating who you are and that you are authorized to sign legal agreements on behalf of the company along with your contact information

They also prefer everything to be faxed for some reason, though scanned PDFs emailed have worked so far but the fax line should be active this week so I can start faxing documents on paper (?).

I'm surprised, I had no problem like this when I opened an account only a few months ago. I just had to fax a copy of my secretary of state's certificate of incorporation. They even accepted a printout of the archived version from the state SOS' website, not the original copy they sent me when I incorporated 13 years ago.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

lord funk posted:

iOS 5 dev chat:

Interesting to see that Apple is using the volume button as a camera snapshot button in iOS 5. I seem to remember devs complaining that their apps were rejected if they used the volume buttons for anything other than volume.

Yeah, this was one of the sticking points in the "Apple is undercutting developers" discussions around the WWDC announcement, along with the builtin apps borrowing features from popular third party tools.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

pokeyman posted:

I've no direct experience but I have heard of iAd taking a couple weeks to start doing something useful. Kind of makes for a poo poo user experience (more so than actual ads would be, anyway).

I wouldn't be surprised, I also recently read stuff about in-app purchase items taking some period of time to become buyable even after they show up as active in iTC.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ptier posted:

I took a look through the OP and I didn't see this so I'll ask.

I was looking at the 2 kinds of pay dev accounts where one is a personal and one is signing up as a business. At the moment I don't want to make a company with the state and fed just to play with what I am building until I am ready to start rolling in that direction. Is it difficult to transfer ownership of apps in the app store between two accounts if I need to change from personal to corp later? I know I'll have to make a new account when I want to be a business but what can I do with the apps I already have under the personal account?

Also this thread is a awesome and I'm learning a lot. Thanks everyone for your explanations to other people's questions.

You don't need to make a new account, you just call up Apple and say "hey I want to change my personal account to a business account." Then they walk you through the process which takes about a week to ten days, and requires you to fax them your incorporation documents from the state. It costs nothing to go through the transition and the people who answer the phones there are super friendly and informative about what is going on.

Your iTunes Connect and provisioning portal accounts will be locked out during the transition process. Any apps you have for sale will stay for sale during the lockout period, but stuff that's presently in review when you start the transition will get thrown out.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

No payment date here for the whopping $48.80 I am owed this cycle (on the upside it's 26 cents more than last month, I'm on the up and up here!).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Olivil posted:

Any of you have experience with this book?
Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide

I have one of the older Aaron Hillegass/Big Nerd Ranch books on Cocoa and it's extremely well put together. You can't go wrong with anything he's written.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So hypothetically suppose I have some code that I want to allow people to drop into their iPhone app, and I'm planning on doing this as a static library.

Furthermore, for sake of example, maybe I'm using the SBJSON library internal to my plugin. It's a popular library and odds are good that if someone wants to link against my static library they might also be using SBJSON too. Or, I'm incorporating the Facebook SDK, same difference.

How do I avoid getting duplicate symbol issues when a user of my library goes to link? Is it sufficient to put a prefix on the class names for whatever third party dependencies I want to end up bundling in?

SBJSON uses a category to inject stuff into NSString so I assume I'd need to prefix injected method names there too, but assuming categories aren't involved, do I just need to munge up the class names otherwise?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 25, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

no.op posted:

Not sure this exactly matches your problem and haven't tried it myself but saw this similar thing the other day:

http://atastypixel.com/blog/avoiding-duplicate-symbol-issues-when-using-common-utilities-within-a-static-library/

Huh, that might be just what I need. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

But classic apps aren't compatible with case-senstive filesystems, and lots (most?) of big-name current software isn't either. FileMaker, WoW, Adobe's stuff...
Yeah, I learned this the hard way after wiping & reinstalling my Mac a few months ago.

I already discovered how case sensitivity can affect how assets get loaded on iOS and I thought making my desktop filesystem case sensitive would help head this stuff off at the pass when it didn't load right in the simulator.

Then of course after I spend an evening getting my environment back together, I go to install Adobe CS5.5 and the first thing it tells me is I can't put it on a case sensitive filesystem.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Froist posted:

Given iOS 6 is supported all the way back to the 3GS it seems safe to just support the latest version and keep life easier.

Having said that, I found out recently that my boss (who's head of a large mobile app development group) has an iPhone 3GS that's still running iOS 3..

I spent ten minutes doing an entirely unscientific survey of the compilations on the front page of the App Store. From eyeballing it, it seems like half the apps I found required armv7 devices. Of the other half, a good a 1/3 to 1/2 required iOS 4 or better. The iOS 4 requirement rules out any 1st-gen devices altogether, so you're now really just wondering how many 2nd-gen phones & touches are still in the wild.

From what I remember with my old iPhone 3G, iOS 4 ran like absolute garbage on it. So really, the people who are still hanging onto these old devices are already probably used to having a sub-par experience with it and your one app being incompatible isn't going to move the needle any either way.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doc Block posted:

The filesystem on OS X is not (though it does preserve case).
You can format an OS X volume to be case-sensitive, and I tried it once after burning a few hours on a case sensitive asset issue with iOS and thinking I was due for a flatten/reinstall anyway.

I then realized the only reason to do that is if you like your software not working - a lot, like Adobe Creative Suite, won't even install on a case sensitive volume.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

Oh hell that sounds like a nightmare. I'm guessing you re-wiped and went back to case-insensitive?
Yeah, the Adobe stuff was the first thing I tried installing, at least, so I was able to just turn right back around and burn the drive down again.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Will iOS6 based iPads show the 4" optimized UI on iPhone-only apps, assuming they've got a 4" UI?

Want to get started on a UI revamp for an app of mine and get some real-hardware testing done on it this week before my iPhone 5 turns up.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Small White Dragon posted:

I know it represents a shrinking portion of the market, but I'm kind of bummed that XCode 4.5 doesn't support armv6.

So suppose I still have enough (vocal) users using 1st & 2nd-gen devices that I don't want to drop support for them yet. Mainly it's a case that the app is connected with a non-profit organization, and some of the people with older devices have older devices because they're too busy giving money to the non-profit rather than Apple. So I don't want to piss them off just yet even though here in the real world we know when it's time to walk away from a 4 year old device.

But I don't want my app to look like crap on iPhone 5 either.

Can I keep using 4.4 to build, put the Default-568h@2x.png file in there, and that's all it would take to force it to run in tall mode on an iPhone 5? Then if I'm being smart enough about laying out my UI relative to the window size, everything'd be great on either device?

Or do I need to actually build against 4.5 and the iOS 6 SDK?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 20, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Can I keep using 4.4 to build, put the Default-568h@2x.png file in there, and that's all it would take to force it to run in tall mode on an iPhone 5? Then if I'm being smart enough about laying out my UI relative to the window size, everything'd be great on either device?

Or do I need to actually build against 4.5 and the iOS 6 SDK?

For what it's worth, it looks like you can in fact do this. So I can at least still keep supporting armv6 devices this way until I absolutely need to use an iOS 6 feature. If you build in 4.4 and include the 568h launch image, the phone will still stretch things properly.

I just had to fix autoresize on some of my UI elements and everything looks just dandy on an iPhone 5.

I couldn't use 4.4 to debug on an iPhone 5, so I had to do all that in 4.5. But then I could go and do an ad-hoc build in 4.4 with armv7 and armv6 support and have it work on the iPhone 5. Have not tried submitting to the store like this but probably will do that next week.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doc Block posted:

Do people really care that badly about supporting the iPhone and iPhone 3g? Even the 3GS has an ARMv7 CPU.
As I mentioned before it's mainly a business reason in my case, that the app I have is connected with a nonprofit and some of the people prefer giving money to us and not to Apple to buy new devices. I'd like to keep them happy by keeping the app running for them if I can.

I am more wanting to keep the 3G and the 2nd gen iPod Touch supported. The 3G is a 4 year old device, but they did sell it up until the 4 launched so there are at least some people who only recently came off a 2-year contract to buy it.

Honestly though I have just one more feature update on the app to roll out and then assuming it needs no bug fixes, it'll be the end of the line for those old devices. I was just hoping to also bundle in iPhone 5 compatibility at the same time.

Plorkyeran posted:

The more relevant part is that Apple used to not allow removing armv6 support in an update. Has that changed?
As I understand it, if you set the deployment target to 4.3 or later, you can drop armv6 in an update. 4.3 will not run on any armv6 device.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 26, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

To be fair, up until iOS 6, apps could silently scrape your contacts and other data (see also: Path).

It is nice that now users have granular control of that, and it prompts the user at runtime when the app wants to actually use that info.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

This new framework from Heroku looks pretty impressive:

https://github.com/helios-framework/helios

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

edit: n/m

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 8, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I've not tried it, but it seems like if you jailbreak you can do some monkeying with Xcode to get it to install and run things with invalid signatures (paying Apple a C-note gets you the signing key to deploy to your own device). So maybe that's an option if you're not above jailbreaking and you only care about running this on your phone and not anyone else's.

http://iphonedevwiki.net/index.php/Xcode#Developing_without_Provisioning_Profile

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So what horror has befallen the Apple Dev Center site? It's been down for something like two days now with a cryptic "maintenance" message. Provisioning, forums, downloads, you name it, it is dead.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

quote:

Last Thursday, an intruder attempted to secure personal information of our registered developers from our developer website. Sensitive personal information was encrypted and cannot be accessed, however, we have not been able to rule out the possibility that some developers’ names, mailing addresses, and/or email addresses may have been accessed. In the spirit of transparency, we want to inform you of the issue. We took the site down immediately on Thursday and have been working around the clock since then.

In order to prevent a security threat like this from happening again, we’re completely overhauling our developer systems, updating our server software, and rebuilding our entire database. We apologize for the significant inconvenience that our downtime has caused you and we expect to have the developer website up again soon.

Whoooops.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

carry on then posted:

Why do I get the feeling the breach was worse than they're letting on? You don't "completely [overhaul your] developer systems, [update your] server software, and [rebuild your] entire database" because some russian botnet was spamming the reset password link.

Edit: Oh jesus, what if someone knocked over the PowerMac G3???? :ohdear:

"Overhauling our systems, updating our server software, and rebuilding our database" sounds like the sort of technobabble you would tell the general public to get them to briefly put down their torches and pitchforks while you scrambled to figure out what the hell actually went wrong. Which of course is a little funny when this is what you tell people who actually have a technical background.

Tuesday afternoon is the AAPL quarterly investor call. It might get interesting if this stuff is still up in the air by then.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 22, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

DreadCthulhu posted:

Are there any kind of very thorough cheat sheets or references guides for ObjectiveC out there, and possibly Cocoa for people like me who don't work much with the ecosystem any longer, but occasionally need to jump back for a week or two and be immediately highly productive?

I would love something like this as well just because I will be starting a full time job doing iOS work in three weeks and it has been probably a few months since I have cracked open Xcode except to do their pre-interview screening test. I could stand to have a refresher.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It's my first day of my second week as a full-time iOS developer, and today I had my first memory leak I had to chase down. Trouble is, I couldn't get the leak profiler to work properly when running on a device. The auto-snapshots didn't auto-snapshot, and hitting the button to do it manually just causes it to get stuck on "Analyzing Process."

I tried the stuff suggested in this SO post, but after double checking the signing and build schemes, I determined that those are all totally kosher.

Anyone ever encounter anything like this? My colleagues were dumbfounded. I gave up on the profiler and used git bisect to find out that someone on my team committed a retain loop and fixed it that way, but at the same time I really would like for the profiler to work right.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

lord funk posted:

Are you running the beta? Instruments has been hit-or-miss for me this entire time. Not that that helps your situation at all...

Nope. XCode 4.6.3, and tested on two different iPads running 6.1.3 with the same result, so I guess maybe there's still some goofy configuration issue that I'm missing. I should see if someone on the team can make it work it on his machine, in which case there must just be something goofy with my Xcode configuration or my clone of the project.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 27, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So in what circumstance would you actually want content under the status bar or tab bar view? It seems to go against what users have been used to since day zero.

I really pondered that hard while adjusting my layout to account for the fact that view bounds include altogether useless space, but I couldn't think of anything.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'm sure there are lots of people with ancient .ipas in iTunes on their computers and they could sync those apps back to their iPhone 3G at any time. They'd get overwritten if the user took advantage of the update functionality in iTunes, but who uses that? I don't even do that, I apparently have 137 updates pending in iTunes.

So it's not like this is a totally new problem, where someone has an old version that wants to talk to an API you're not supporting anymore. At least now you can make the call yourself as to whether to offer someone the opportunity to download the old one, if you think it will still work.

It would be nice though if you could submit an update targeted at that old release. Maybe to fix a minor bug or just add a "hey, here's whats broken on this old version" message.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

UxP posted:

Anyone else at CocoaSlopes?

Nope but what are the other good Cocoa/iOS related conferences, WWDC notwithstanding? Now that I'm doing this full time I need to get some more free trips to interesting places.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doc Block posted:

I'm sure you guys have seen this before, but it was new to me: http://fuckingblocksyntax.com

This was also an interesting read to me, at least in terms of making you think a little on "why" the syntax is that way. http://nilsou.com/blog/2013/08/21/objective-c-blocks-syntax/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ender.uNF posted:

Your infrequently scheduled PSA for this week: If you aren't reading NSHipster, you should be.

And if you like those pieces, then buy his upcoming book so he writes more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Headscratcher of the day:

Got a bug ticket that you cannot import videos into my team's app, if you're on an iPhone 4 and the videos are longer than a minute or so. The UIImagePickerController is re-encoding the video, then the app crashes. No out of memory error, which is the first thing I thought due to it being an iPhone 4. The error logs we got off the device show it crashes somewhere in my delegate callback when the UIImagePickerController has finished its work.

I go into debug it and I just can't replicate it. Under the debugger it works just fine. I go chasing what differences there are between the debug and enterprise distribution build settings to see if there's something goofy there, maybe optimization is messing with something. No dice there.

Dude on the team tries it on his iPhone 4, remarks the screen went to sleep midway through.

Suddenly it dawned on us all - the app is going to sleep while UIImagePickerController is compressing the video. Seemingly this hoses the compression process and ruins the video, even though when you wake the phone back up the delegate method still fires like nothing ever went wrong. It just got garbage back. We just never noticed this because all of us on the team are using at least an iPhone 5 or better and their CPUs are strong enough that the video compresses before the screen timeout kicks in. And the screen never sleeps if you're running it in the debugger.

Keeping the screen awake before presenting the UIImagePickerController solved the problem in the end (and some better error checking in the delegate too). But good god I hate these sorts of bugs.