Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

That is the PATENTS file, though, which is an additional grant of patent rights. Your copyright license to the source does not terminate in the case of a patent dispute. You can ignore the PATENTS file entirely if you want, and treat it like a straight BSD license, if you'd rather.

IANAL either, this is not legal advice, but I have been directly involved in our licensing choices, so I'm pretty sure I'm correct.
However, if anything in the package itself is covered by a patent (held either by FB or someone upstream of FB who authorizes FB to convey a license), then the revocation of the patent license opens the package consumer up to liability for infringement, right?

I think what people are afraid of is that if a company initiates an action against FB for some completely unrelated and legitimate patent dispute, then the provision in the PATENTS file is triggered and now their use of the open source packages is subject to possible patent infringement suits. I could see this happening in some big company where coordination is not their strong suit, and how a corporate legal department just say "aw hell no" and forbid use of these packages.

The Apache license seems a lot less broad, in that the patent grant revocation clause only triggers if you initiate a patent dispute related to the specific product at hand.

Not a lawyer, either, just ruminating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Anyone done anything with interfacing Bluetooth label printers with an iOS app? I do some work for an annual city science fair, and they have a hell of a time with getting projects checked in because they use a lot of paper. I'd kind of want to set them up with an iPad and bluetooth label printer to put on projects as they come in.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking I'd do ad hoc or enterprise signing for this project, so hoops to jump through w/r/t publishing to the store wouldn't be a problem.

But the bigger issue I see is that upon further digging, the printer I can find that would best fit my use case is an Epson model. They were nice enough to publish their SDK and after looking through it, I have concluded that it looks like poo poo from a butt. Their example app definitely belongs in the coding horror thread.

Oh well. Neat idea but not realistically workable.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sub Par posted:

I have an existing (small, demo) rails web app that's hosted on Heroku. I'm looking to learn me some iOS development and the project I'd like to start with is building a native iOS app for this web app. What's the best way to do this? I'd ideally like to keep the backend in Rails and on Heroku and just develop an API that the iOS app interfaces with. But is this a bad idea? My eventual goal is to have an iOS app, an Android app, and this rails web app, and I'd like them to all play nicely.

I have like 10 users, all friends, and this is just a project I'm using to learn, but ideally the solution would scale well-ish because I don't want to learn some horribly inefficient and dumb way to do this. Thanks.

Add a JSON API to your rails app, and make that genericized as best you can so you can use it across your iOS/Android implementations.

I you need authentication, use something like Doorkeeper gem to make your app an OAuth provider and make your API calls require a token for authentication and authorization. There's also a couple OAuth2 clients for iOS you can pull into your project, this one looks like something I'd try. Google has one too in their Google Toolbox for Mac.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Receigen supposedly generates receipt validation code for you in a manner that is obfuscated differently each time you run it. I bought it for a project and then didn't have cause to use it, but it didn't seem that bad beyond having to include openssl. Not sure how easily cracked the generated code is though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Once again, the iPhone compatibility mode on iPad still emulates a 3.5" screen :mad:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

It's pathetic how Apple is still so bad at this. Apps should be reviewed and approved in 48 hours or less. I know that it only takes me 2-3 hours to actually do it once it gets through the queue.

And half the time, once the app gets into the queue, my prod environment logs show nobody besides myself opened the app at all between submission and approval.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dirk Pitt posted:

Apple reviews are inconsistent. We white label apps and some but not all need Core Bluetooth entitlement for some features. I should be better in the build system by setting entitlements, but I was under a deadline. Apple approved 5 apps that didn't need the bluetooth entitlement, and then blocked the 3 that did. To their credit, they were quick to approve the apps once I gave an explanation. But I was still a bit confused, and panicked because of a tradeshow next week and the ridiculous 14 + day wait lately for submissions.

Is it still the situation too where if you white label apps you need each client to stand up their own developer account and submit under that? Just as everything else about reviews are inconsistent, it seems inconsistent as to what the actual guidance from Apple is on that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

That seems nicer anyway. I remember having to fax over my articles of incorporation to Apple even though it's already on the Internet and it still took like a week for that to get verified and go through.

Obviously it's not Apple's job to care that it's on the Internet, they just want to see it. It is however D&Bs business to care because scraping that stuff is their job. If by their powers combined they can get people into the D&B system in a fast manner than that seems like a win to me.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

lord funk posted:

I'd like to install the latest OS X 10.11 beta 6, but I redeemed my download code back at release 1. Is there any way to get the beta 6 installer instead of re-downloading the release 1 image from the App Store purchased tab, then updating beta-by-beta?

At least with the shipping versions of OS X, the image you get off the App Store is always the latest build, inclusive of any maintenance releases. If you just go download the beta again, don't you similarly just get the latest version of the beta?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Devices. I know this because I got a rejection due to a crash bug, and the review notes with the rejection indicated the particular model of device the reviewer was using when they encountered the crash.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

IIRC, at a past job we just put the common stuff into their own git repos and linked it into the various dependent projects just by providing it as a cocoapod.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

The suggestion to run OS X in a virtual machine would be more welcome if Apple provided any assistance or tools for doing that, I think. It is nice that software development and testing are the (only?) permitted commercial uses of VMs, though.

Hey, they also give zero fucks about selling easily rackable hardware anymore, either. So when you want to get a Mac Pro or three in house to run some OS X VMs as Jenkins slaves, your IT people give you pushback on physically locating the machine.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doh004 posted:

iTunes Connect updated with a new layout and maybe some new features?

http://help.apple.com/itc/my-apps-quick-tour/#/overview

Meanwhile while getting this redesign deployed they apparently shut down most or all of whatever services processed binaries after uploading. From about Monday night forward, I and everyone I knew had uploads stuck in processing. Finally, they made it through yesterday morning.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The team profile in the developer portal and the iTunes Connect account are two different things.

If nothing else they can add you to the team portal so you can develop, you can archive the build, and then they can use Application Loader to push it to iTunes using their own iTC credentials if they are troubled with the idea of a third party being able to push builds to iTunes.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

They seem to be running the upload processing queue on a handful of Quadras as of late.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

They have re-written the statement on the developer portal, so we all can sleep easily now.

quote:

Open source software is at the heart of Apple platforms and developer tools, and Apple continues to contribute and release significant quantities of open source code.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If I'm used to RxJava and its idioms what's the RAC learning curve like?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

NoDamage posted:

If Parse can get so easily shut down by Facebook who's to say that Firebase won't get similarly shut down by Google in the future? Too much risk, IMO.

True, but Google is trying to be in the business of selling cloud services and app backends. The concept of Firebase as a service seems much more aligned with Google's business than Parse would be aligned with Facebook's.

I'd probably be more worried about Twitter killing Fabric than Google killing Firebase.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

pokeyman posted:

Hot drat, that'll be a flood of tears. Seems like the biggest outrage gets saved for the free services.

The funny thing is I'm sure my team would gladly pay for Crashlytics if we could. We're running a multi-million install product and it's seriously useful for our process. If I had to pay for something I'd much prefer to pay for Crashlytics than HockeyApp.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I use it all the time in Tweetbot but only because I discovered by just pressing hard. I feel like if you want 3D touch to be worth the work in your app you have to somehow point people to it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

hackbunny posted:

Am I missing the obvious, or secure enclave keys are almost entirely useless?
  • can only be used with Touch Id enabled (this doesn't appear to be explicitly documented anywhere)
  • EC only, no RSA
  • 256 bits only
  • secure enclave can only store private keys permanently
  • ... and public keys can't be exported. SecItemCopyMatching succeeds but returns no data
  • most damning of all, they can only sign/verify and not encrypt/decrypt, and you can't derive keys on iOS
What in the name of god are they even for?

This WWDC talk explains a use case: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2015/706/?time=2905

I'm imagining, maybe, a stock brokerage app where your requests to the trading API must be signed with the secure element key. Your login process generates a secure enclave key pair and sends the public key up to the backend to persist with the login session.

If the signed request can successfully verify using that public key, you know then that someone authorized had put their finger to the reader.