Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
For those of of who dying to use React Native but don't have access, somebody did a nice post about using it and their first impressions that we can live vicariously through: http://jlongster.com/First-Impressions-using-React-Native

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

lord funk posted:

Yay app release day!

http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/tc-performer/

TC-Performer. Free synth, universal, patch pack IAP.

I was just messing around with this and not only is it awesome, but my wife is super excited to show it to and try it out with some of her kids at work who need / use music therapy (she deals with a wide range of autism spectrum kids). Also a good reminder for me to pick up TC-11, because I don't want to get any work done this summer!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ultramiraculous posted:

This whole email thing is just a mess. If that link just downloaded a DMG I'm positive you'd get a few people to install, even with the text right next to it mentioning the App Store. This email really should have been instructions on how to validate that your Xcode install was actually from the App Store.

Step 1: download our XCode checker app from.....

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Doc Block posted:

Did they release Xcode 7 to the public yet?

The betas get installed alongside Xcode 6.4, not on top of it.

Yes, on WWDC day.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I was contacted by someone to make a couple "simple" changes to an app... that was written in 2011 and targets iOS 3.2 (pre-ARC!) and uses if (UI_USER_INTERFACE_IDIOM() == UIUserInterfaceIdiomPad) to load different NIB files for every view controller for iPads.

Has anyone done something like this? Will I even be able to build / submit the app using XCode 7, or are they basically going to have to have the whole thing re-done?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ultramiraculous posted:

Depending on the size of the codebase, this could hit Xcode-crashing levels :ohdear:

It was up there...

After creating a repo for it, I ran Edit -> Convert for ARC and "modern Objective-C" and lo and behold, I went from literally thousands of errors and warnings down to 21 deprecation warnings. That is some serious wizardy!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

eschaton posted:

You shouldn't need to turn off ARC, ARC is just on by default in new projects, it won't be flipped on for old projects.

Similarly, you shouldn't need to either convert to ARC or convert to modern Objective-C just to start making a few changes. Were this a project I were taking on, I'd try to keep the codebase as close to the original as possible as I'm coming up to speed on it.

Every single bit of the codebase belongs in the coding horrors thread, so anything the auto-conversions do can only be an improvement. Apparently the guy was a web design student at a local college who go the job because he agreed to work for $8/hr. :v:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

eschaton posted:

Yeah, that's another good reason not to run the converter immediately. You'd be better off first fixing all of the static analyzer issues, and only then running the converter.

I'm not sure how many of the over 2400 issues I'd get to before burning through their budget w/o actually making any of the changes they want.

Froist posted:

Jumping into a new codebase I wouldn't run the conversion immediately, there's no requirement to use ARC right now as eschaton says. Just remember to have your non-ARC hat on when adding any code - it's easy to forget and add leaks.

Leaks were at least 1000 of those, so the dev before already had plenty :v:

EDIT: But yes, I'll make sure to be on the lookout for odd behavior and so on, and I appreciate the advice / warnings!

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 6, 2015

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
You know, every time I get back into doing iOS dev, I wonder why it is I stopped doing it so much. Then I see Code Sign error: No codesigning identities found: No codesigning identities (i.e. certificate and private key pairs) that match the provisioning profile specified in your build settings and I remember....

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So is there some trick to getting a build out of "Processing"? :google: suggests bumping the build number and submitting over and over until one goes through fast, but that doesn't seem quite right. My first one went through fast, but the one I submitted two hours ago is still hanging out. (Or is several hours normal now?)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So as of this AM, my project will not build any more. Well, at least not in the 35 minutes I've let it run both before and after deleting derived data. I made a single line change to a string. Also, it has been "processing files" in indexing for over an hour. Have restarted Xcode many times, deleted derived data as mentioned... Running Version 7.0.1 (7A1001).

Any suggestions? Update to 7.1? :iiam:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

pokeyman posted:

Restart your computer?

If only it were that easy.

It has something to do with dictionary literals. I have code along the lines of:

Swift code:
let userData = [
    "TEST": [
        ["firstName":"Test", "lastName":"Tester","participantIdentifier":"abc123"],
        ["firstName":"Blah","lastName":"Splatter","participantIdentifier":"qazwsx"],
        ["firstName":"Cow","lastName":"Bell","participantIdentifier":"ttggf"],
    ]
]
And that's wonderful. If I have 10 test users, formatted exactly like that, everything grinds to a halt. :argh:

EDIT: and SourceKitService is taking ~400% CPU and causing center of the sun heat when this happens...

EDIT2: If I remove any of the rows so there are NINE users... it builds and runs. :wtf:

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 26, 2015

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

jawbroken posted:

Expressions with a lot of literals can currently cause exponential behaviour in the type inference engine. Add some explicit types somewhere.

Also your test users should clearly be structs, if your example is representative.

Thank you x2. Switching to structs not only was the smarter thing, it resolved my issue completely.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Based on my googling, an app can continue uploading a file to a server when it goes into the background using NSURLSessions. What I have not been able to determine, because I get results for different problems, is if I can *start* an upload from the background if the device obtains connectivity when it did not while the app was active. The use case is: user makes short video for upload, but has no network. Later, user enters area where there is network... Can I start an upload (or have queued one to start) without user interaction?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
A few years ago I had an idea for a 2D game and coded up a quick prototype in Cocos2D (I forget what version, but whatever was current 2.5-3 years ago). Life left me with no time to do much more on it, but I am thinking of beginning again on it. Is Cocos2D still the go-to game thing these days? Switching to something else is no big deal, since I'll be basically re-learning iOS development at this point anyway.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Thanks to all for the info on SpriteKit / Cocos2d. A question about this though:

Doc Block posted:

Many 2D games these days seem to use Unity3D's 2D sprite system, with all the pitfalls that entails.

I was looking into Unity (I know nothing about it other than 'it exists') only because it seems under active development and might make ports to other platforms easier. Since I don't know what I don't know, what pitfalls are there in Unity / using it for 2D? My game has very simple gravity-based physics (object flies through space, might bounce off a thing or rebound "harder" off a rubber-band like wall) and not much else if that matters.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Thanks again for all the info! SpriteKit it is....

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Small White Dragon posted:

Ignoring Xcode and similar full-blown IDEs, what graphical OSX-based editors are popular here these days for simple code/script/.etc work?

(Specifically, for a lot of HTML/CSS/JS, PHP, Python, Shell scripts, and things like that.)

MacVim, but I'm a horrible monster.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I only release an app every year and a half or so, but it still amazes me every time that the hardest part of the whole process is trying to get certificates and signing to actually work. Which crazy combination of restarting Xcode, revoking and reissuing certs, and randomly editing things will work this time? :iiam:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Does anyone have any good experiences with (or work for a good) iOS / Android dev shop? The company I work for is going to be outsourcing our mobile apps because our team is not large enough and doesn't have enough folks with mobile experience to handle it in-house. The two options brought to our attention so far are https://www.thesmythgroup.com/ and https://www.equalexperts.com/ . Happy to take answers here or in PMs / email (gmail: veddermatic)

If this is inappropriate for this thread, I will edit and ask a dumb iOS question instead =)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Is anyone use Apollo GraphQL in Swift? Having a problem where `nil` arguments are being sent as `null` instead of being omitted.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So at work, we recently got this email:

quote:

Your Distribution Certificate will no longer be valid in 30 days. To generate a new certificate, sign in and visit Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles.

I am Admin on the team, so I assume I will be able to do this. Could someone explain like I'm an idiot (which I am) how to renew or do whatever I need to do? The original cert was created by someone else who is no longer around. Apple gives me lots of confusing links and conflicting info. I remember tis always being something that was baffling as all hell as well when I used to do iOS stuff a while back.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
/\ Thanks for the info! Got me started, which leads to question number two:

So it used to be I had to do a dance with making .p12 files and using that to make an iOS distribution cert. It seems now I just make a generic "Apple Distribution" in XCode, and there are no more p12 files involved? Since this app is set to use Fastlane and github actions, it has stuff about the p12 file in the Fastfile. Fastlane's docs are showing XCode 8 screens and so forth, and I'm not really sure what to do to switch over to a p12-less way of doing things if that is what I am supposed to do. Would I just replace this:

code:
   import_certificate(
      certificate_path: "./Code Signing/my-file.p12",
      certificate_password: ENV["CERTIFICATE_PASSWORD"],
      keychain_name: "SOME_NAME",
      keychain_password: "SOME_PASSWORD"
    )
with:
code:
   import_certificate(
      certificate_path: "./Code Signing/cert-xcode-made-and-i-downloaded.cer",
      keychain_name: "SOME_NAME",
      keychain_password: "SOME_PASSWORD"
    )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

KidDynamite posted:

if you're already using fastlane why not use match to handle all the cert stuff for you?

perfect time to do it since current are expiring.

I guess I can do that. I didn't know what Fastlane was a couple days ago, so I'm open to suggestions. The way it was set up is that when you push to a branch, it builds an app that is released on Testflight and when you merge into master, it creates a build you can then select in the app portal website thingy. Will that match thing work with that?