Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
And it's sold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Does this mean the WWDC NDA is gone?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

KidDynamite posted:

So when working with foundation in xcode 4

code:
NSAutoreleasePool * pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];
is replaced by
code:
@Autoreleaspool;
?
This is only if ARC is enabled, which it is for new Xcode 4 projects. It can be disabled.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Do you have the iOS 3 SDK installed?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Keep reading the book. You'll learn about AutoRelease soon enough. Not that this stuff is important for much longer.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Many developers love their Airs for development. The only complaint is screen resolution, but that's why you can hook it up to an external monitor.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

KarmaticStylee posted:

I'm pretty sure I know the answer already but is there no way to program for iOS on a Windows machine?
I saw this on Hacker News earlier this week: http://www.macincloud.com/ I haven't ever used them. Good luck with on-device testing.

But if you do make a decent profit from your iOS apps, you really should buy a Mac Mini or a MacBook Air.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 29, 2011

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If you're only tinkering, I recommend sticking to one platform so you can focus on game development rather than the differences of the platforms.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If C++ is "like running a chain saw with all the safety guards removed", Objective-C++ must be like trying to juggle that chain saw.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Welcome to Apple development enjoy your stay.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
A friend of mine did the Big Nerd Ranch course for Cocoa Programming. While it is re-hashing the book (which you get to keep a copy of), they do it at an accelerated pace, you meet and talk to other Cocoa programmers, and they cover everything but airfare. He thought it was well worth it.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It's out of date since iOS 6 is out. Given your experience, try Apple's online documentation first and then see if you need a book or not.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Wait what? Your Mini is bricked?
The iOS beta expired yesterday. When a beta expires, it locks the devices and renders it unusable until either a new beta or gold master is installed.

Lesson: don't install betas on production or personal-use devices.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

movax posted:

Just to be sure, if I want to write a little app for myself that serves as a private tracking beacon and run it on (pretty much) only my iPhone, my only option is a developer account, correct?

Or use Find My iPhone.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I doubt MFi matters in your circumstance. It largely depends on how you manage your audio session. Apple's starting point for AV can point you in the right direction. Stick to the higher level frameworks whenever you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You should try applying for a job just to see how far your accomplishments have actually gotten you.