Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"The current quarter of CS193p (Spring 2011) is not on iTunesU and can only be taken by registered students of Stanford University."

gently caress. Although the last time they did this was when they revamped the curriculum, so maybe they're including Xcode4 this time around. I'm fully expecting the next quarter CS193p to be on iTunes U. Meanwhile, the Winter 2010 course is still really really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anode posted:

Is there a good reason to do more than one quarter? (Honest question, not sarcasm!)

Well before when it was just iPhone development, probably not. But they've since updated the curriculum a few times, once to generalize on iOS+iPad rather than iPhone, and now I assume to add Xcode4.

If you already know your stuff, absolutely not. Not unless you want a refresher. If you're just starting out or don't know Cocoa/ObjC very well? Probably can't hurt.

Like I was pretty decent at it until I put it all on the backburner to work on my CCNA. I went through the iOS one and it really helped me re-learn some fundamentals. I guess you could argue that if I forgot them that quickly then I wasn't really that good to begin with, so whatever :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

aehiilrs posted:

What is the current wait time for a corporate developer program enrolment? My boss applied near the beginning of February and there's still no word on it.

Is there a chance this is hung up with someone further up the management chain in my company who they have called to verify stuff with?

By all means have him call Apple. Mine was hung up because apparently they don't accept a legally registered Ontario "sole proprietorship" as a business entity, but didn't actually tell me and I had to finally just call some number I found on the developer site and got the straight dope. If you are a verifiable contact point for your company they should at least be able to tell you what is being held up.

Wish they had made the "sole proprietorship isn't valid for a corporate enrollment" thing clearer before I blew like a hundred bucks registering everything with the loving province though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Already more useful than 100% of the fart apps on the app store.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Quickpull posted:

Thanks, this sounds pretty interesting. I have a computer that might be perfect to convert to a hackintosh. How do I find out what hardware will work for this?

Go to the hackintosh thread in SH/SC or go read up on builds at the tonymacx86.com forum (better option). I would recommend waiting until Lion is out and not under NDA so you can get the best hardware for that particular platform since it's likely that all new Xcodes will require it at some point.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

e: wrong thread

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

xelfer posted:

I thought this thread might find this link useful: http://mattgemmell.com/2011/07/25/network-link-conditioner-in-lion

Now if only they had something like this to scale down the processor power in the device simulator.

The first time I realized that performance in the simulator and performance on an iOS device were two completely different things was a sad day indeed :(

fake edit: Nice to see that in six months off coding ObjC I've forgotten just about everything there is to know. Back to CS193P for me :sigh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like ObjC/CocoaTouch is a use-it-or-lose-it thing for me, so I'm going back to square one with CS193p and various books. I'm current on both XCode and MacOS X. Will I need to worry about things like ARC getting in my way if I start a brand new project today, or will they be transparent as long as I use the old memory model of manually retaining and releasing?

All of my material is pre Xcode4.2. I was hoping to wait until CS193p updated with an Xcode4 and hopefully new memory management model semester but I really want to start getting a handle on this skillset again, so I can't really afford to wait. I suppose if the new semester is on iTunes and starts up soon I won't be too heavily invested in the current semester that I can't just start over.

e: Oh it looks like I won't need to worry about ARC in 4.1 anyway I guess.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 22, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can't you target 4.2 by just not using 4.3+ features? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I'm curious how people manage to build apps that can still run on 3.1 platforms if all they can get is the newest SDK.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone know of a way to get the iOS Device Simulator to open on the same screen as a fullscreen'd Xcode 4 window in Lion? It's annoying since Xcode is like the last window out of four fullscreen apps, and if I want to check out my debugger I either need to un-fullscreen Xcode or flip back and forth four pages between the simulator and xcode window :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm still bitter about Apple not accepting Canadian Sole Proprietorships as legitimate business entities :mad:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's a really weird tumultuous time for someone learning to develop for IOS. Transitioning to Xcode 4 combined with things like ARC on the horizon have me worried that I'm going to get myself used to one method of memory management while another is just around the corner. I don't mean to imply that manual memory management is bad to know or anything, but it would be awesome if the book covered it as well, even as an afterthought.

Really wish I'd just stuck with it a year ago instead of re-learning it all now :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

geera posted:

Now that I'd like to get back in to it, all of my resources are out of date and I don't really know where to go for updated information.

Well, resources are pretty much still the same now as they were then. The only thing that I struggled with at the beginning was converting Interface Builder skills to Xcode4, but that took a few hours really. It was more trouble in my mind than it was in practice, but it would be awesome if the next semester of CS193p was on iTunesU and included Xcode4 (it can't not, at this point), and ARC (probably won't, but a man can dream).

For someone who's starting from nothing, though, it might be harder to work with Xcode4 given Xcode3 material. That's really the only reason I say it's tumultuous.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone know why Xcode4 Organizer would not show a device's console?

I have an iPhone 3G running 3.1.3. It's listed as a device in Apple's portal page, marked as development enabled, etc. The only thing I can think of that it MIGHT be is that it's jailbroken, but it's basically been jailbroken since forever and worked fine in Xcode3.

Device shows up green in organizer, I can get a lot of other info off it, take screenshots, etc. When I click on the Console button though, I get a blank screen. Very annoying.

edit: My Jailbroken iPad has no problem displaying console, so I'm not sure what it could be.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh I probably don't, it's a clean install from the App Store with no extra bells or whistles. I'm trolling around the developer portal and it doesn't look like SDK3 is available any more?

Honestly if I can't get console on it that's not really a huge problem as long as I can still debug and set 3.1.3 as a deployment target. I might set up a VM with 10.6 and an Xcode3 SDK3 installation (assuming I could find one) if I really get desperate I guess. Like I said, just annoying :(

I just threw it out on the developer forums too, maybe someone at Apple can advise. It's kind of weird that I'd be able to do stuff like take screenshots without SDK3 but console wouldn't be available.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 31, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sir Davey posted:

And there's a LOT of other stuff.

quote:

To avoid customer confusion, do not use other versions of Myriad, such as Adobe Myriad, in your
communications.

Here's one I'm unclear on. Is Apple specifically forbidding me from using Myriad fonts on my website/emails/whatever, if I have an app listed on that same page? Or is it just a recommendations?

That seems a little far-reaching to me. I can understand them enforcing guidelines on the link back to their site, I'm okay with that, but telling me I can't use a Myriad font is a little over the line. What if Myriad is the best suited font for my email, flyer, website, etc.?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Right, that's the takewaway I'd love to get from it too, and I think that's what they mean, but in their wording they use the same "don't use Myriad" phrasing in the same way they list their more absolute "don't delete parts of the App Store logo" rules which are (I would imagine) much stricter.

If I had to guess I would say Apple made it vague enough to sound scary on purpose. But I guess in the long run it's not that important.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just curious about personal experience here: How many of you guys started in iOS development and parlayed that into MacOS X development to any significant degree?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

pokeyman posted:

I went in the other direction, if you're just looking for a show of hands. But I felt like answering your question as "I'm curious what the difference is".

:words:

This is pretty much what I hoped someone would post, their personal experiences. Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for writing that up, it's a lot of great insight. Also I'm only half familiar with all that CoreData material so it'll be good to know what to look out for when/if I ever get around to Mac development.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Carthag posted:

immutable NSStrings with the same contents aren't allocated multiple times will be the same instance behind the scenes.

This seems really scary for some reason but I can't put my finger on why.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Carthag posted:

since they're immutable.

I think this is what I neglected to comprehend. Carry on :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

edit: Wrong thread, not YOSPOS :ohdear:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey speaking of debug:

I was working on a little commandline app to do some file processing the other day, and I was NSLog-ging some output. Whenever I hit cmd-R to run the app it was like 50/50 whether the debugger/output window would stay open after it finished. Is there any rhyme or reason when that little window stays open? It was quite annoying having to mouse up to the top of the screen to open that window after the tool quit a good half of the time.

I hope I didn't just ask the stupidest question in the book, but it's got me stumped. I don't use xcode that often these days so -- :ohdear:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:siren: The first episodes for this quarter's iOS 5-based incarnation of CS193p should hit iTunesU in early November. :siren:

Great news for anyone just starting out and who wants to be up to date on the tools and language :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FYI, they changed the name of the CS193p class *again*, so if anyone is looking for the latest iOS5-centric CS193p to follow along with, it's here:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=473757255

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm actually kind of curious to hear everyone's thoughts on whether a "new" iOS programmer should learn with ARC enabled or not. Let's just say for the sake of arguing that backwards compatibility isn't an issue.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I wasn't sure if there was any value in understanding memory management in (as) depth anymore. I've only gone through the first lecture so far and haven't seen whether he's going to bring up the concepts. For that matter, I'm not really sure how important it is to understand what happens behind the scenes anymore aside from "hang onto this" and "if nobody cares about X, we don't care either", so it's cool to hear from people who might have made the change to ARC and know their way around the language more than I do.

It's kind of sad how "use it or lose it" programming is for me. I was fairly comfortable with ObjC and Cocoa Touch two years ago, now I'm back at the "drooling babby" stage :(

Also I'm glad to hear Paul teaches with ARC enabled. I wasn't sure if that made the cutoff for this semester.

e: Oh my god, this setting in Organizer that lets me use my iPad for development remotely -- does this mean I can debug wirelessly as well? :psyduck:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 19, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any way to tell Xcode to insert opening braces on their own line?

So

-(blah)blah:(id)arg
{
}

instead of

-(blah)blah:(id)arg {
}

Don't know how much of a travesty that is, but it's how I've been accustomed to writing code and I think it's much more readable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks. Looks like it might be a pain when it would be easy to adjust to the new method so I might just try to live with it one of the simple solutions doesn't pan out. I came across a bunch of other stackoverflow solutions that were complex but somehow missed this one.

e: Followup:

Does Xcode not honour sender class definition when dragging an action from storyboard to an implementation?

I just dragged one of my UIButtons to my implementation file, told it to use UIButton instead of id as the sender but when it generated code it still declared the sender as id.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I thought they were doing delta updates. I was pissed when I saw the two-point changelog and a 1.8gb download :mad:

edit: Weren't some of the previous 4.x updates pushed out as deltas? I know I didn't download 2 gigs a pop every time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Eh, I don't mind that. I was dicking around in Xcode when I started the update download. I don't want App Store to decide when I should run the update, especially if it's a 2gb download that could take some time.

I mean if it was a delta update that was like 100mb then maybe I'd feel better about letting App Store automatically update the devtools right there and then.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone had any permissions issues with Xcode since updating to whatever was just released?

I'm having a weird issue:

But:

Please ignore the fact that it's on dropbox in the screenshot. I tested and get the same problem if I start a new project and save it to local disk.

This project isn't under source control or anything, not sure where to go with this.

e: Disregard, a reboot solved this. GHOST OF STEVE :argh:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 22, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is going to be a really dumb question, but what's the deal with having to declare methods in order? Like if I create method one, and in method one I make a call to method two, but method two is physically located below method one in the source, Xcode will throw an error saying that method two isn't declared.

I thought the compiler would be smart enough to parse the entire source for a declaration. This is something I'd expect from BASIC. Like I said, I'm sure this is babby's first question, but it seems weird for a compiler that smart to be tripped up by something like that, especially since it bulletproofs every other little thing I do.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I when I used to "know" this stuff I remember placing most of my methods into the header file whether they were intended to be public or private, which I guess was probably a poor design decision. That's probably why I don't remember running into this problem. By class extension you mean the private interface declaration that I can add to the beginning of my .m?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for that link. I feel stupid asking such a dumb question but now I'm smarter for it so everyone wins :cool:

e: Also what's tripping me up is that dragging a target from storyboard to code doesn't declare it in the interface anymore. How does that work? I would have thought that would NEED to be a public method :psyduck:

Looks like I have a LOT of reading to do. The more I find out the more I realize how little I understand.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 23, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Toady posted:

I've barely played with storyboards, but if you're referring to target-action, "IBAction" is a design-time feature to let Interface Builder know which methods are actions. It has access to all your source code and doesn't need to follow the visibility rules of a compiler.

Well, sort of. I'm surprised that a method which isn't declared in the public interface can be used as a target for an IBAction because in my understanding it's all done through performSelector: in the end anyway, isn't it? If that's the case wouldn't the selector need to be public?

Obviously not because that's not how it happens today, but just one of the many things I have backwards in my head for one reason or another.

I'm starting to figure this out, and I have something like two Apple docs on my to-do list which will probably explain exactly why I'm wrong. Part of me wonders how much easier this would be if I never learned this back in the day. Now I'm coming into it with bits and pieces of old information and it's tripping me up a little.

Though seeing an app pop from Xcode to my iPad is loving swell and makes the trouble completely worthwhile :3:

e: I should add that dragging a target action from my storyboard IB to my INTERFACE file actually does what I was expecting, creates the public method declaration AND the corresponding method implementation. I'm just surprised that dragging a target action directly into my implementation doesn't do the same.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 23, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm working through the Big Nerd Ranch 4th edition Cocoa for OSX book and I'm kind of banging my head against a wall with this one stupid visual thing:

How the flying gently caress do I get rid of this column resize separator? In the inspector, Table View columns are set to 1. I've tried flipping everything I can think of. I've connected my dataSource and the table works fine, it's just that stupid resize indicator that I can't get rid of.

Words can't describe the shame I feel having to ask a question this basic :qq:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here's my inspector:

Do you mean uncheck "resizing" and then uncheck and re-check "headers"? Because I just tried that and no dice :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh, that's what I was worried about. What a kludge.

I'm actually going to ask on Big Nerd Ranch's website.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 19, 2012