Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
Is anyone familiar with Corona?

It looks pretty slick but I haven't heard much about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Yakattak posted:

What are you trying to make? Games or just apps in general without using Cocoa Touch?

I'm looking at making a couple games. However this is mainly something I'm doing for fun and, if I'm lucky, make a couple bucks until the economy picks up and I can focus on my chosen profession. The big problem is, I don't have a Mac (though I have occasional access to one through a friend). I'm not really interested in investing in a new computer, at least not at the moment, and corona would allow me to mainly work on my PC since it can also compile android apps from the same code. That way I can test things on my PC before borrowing my friends laptop to compile an iOS version.

Obviously this isn't ideal, but I'm just looking for a way to get my hands dirty without fully investing in trying to be a professional iOS dev.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Xenomorph posted:

I didn't have an Intel Mac for a long time, either.

For around $0-$300 though, you can upgrade one of your computers to a nice Hackintosh that would work GREAT as a development platform.
I grabbed a $60 CPU, $50 motherboard, and a $29 copy of OS X and upgraded one of my old computers. It is just insane how well it performs for how little it cost.
You can try to get a used Mac Mini if you don't want to do a Hackintosh.

Keep in mind that you're going to have to spend a _least_ $100 a year if you want to get your stuff on the App Store. It looks like you'd have to spend at least $200 a year with that Corona stuff.

You can run stuff on you and your friends' iOS devices for free if they're jailbroken though.
Some of my crap apps are on my phone. I had to patch Xcode and install something called "AppSync" on my phone to allow unsigned apps to be ran (from what I've seen, that tool is mostly used for piracy instead of development).
I have a simple app on my iPhone 3GS that just makes note of a button push (chapter 2 from some book I looked at). I haven't worked on the app much; I just wanted to see how easy it was to get some working program on my phone without signing up for the developer program.

I suck at programming, but it has fascinated me since the early 1980s. I've bought some old iOS programming books, but I may need to pick up some Objective-C books.

Thanks, this sounds pretty interesting. I have a computer that might be perfect to convert to a hackintosh. How do I find out what hardware will work for this?