Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geera
May 20, 2003

Fists Up posted:

Thanks. I just prefer to have a book on hand because I find I tend to read it more thoroughly than stuff on the web. Plus I get tired of staring at a screen all the time.
I've gone about halfway through the Big Nerd Ranch guide and it's really good. Very thorough and they cover pretty much everything you'll want to know. They assume you know C in the pre-reqs, but I haven't seen anything that would trip you up if you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geera
May 20, 2003

sevenflow posted:

First app is out on the store today: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jetsetter-for-ipad/id416813861?mt=8&ls=1

It's an an iPad app for Jetsetter, the travel company I work for. Features include 360 degree panoramic photos, animation universe (!), full screen photos in both orientations by cropping to photographer defined interest points, and a lot of other stuff that could be dangerous in hands like mine. There are many ways this could break, though I hope most of them have been fixed. If you have a moment and enjoy travel, please try and break it.
And you've already got a writeup on TechCrunch. It looks pretty good -- got me curious enough to join Jetsetter a few minutes ago!

geera
May 20, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Really wish I'd just stuck with it a year ago instead of re-learning it all now :smith:
If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only one. I read through a few books and watched a lot of the Stanford courses several months ago, and I had started to get a pretty good handle on things when it kind of fell off my radar for a while. Now that I'd like to get back in to it, all of my resources are out of date and I don't really know where to go for updated information.

geera
May 20, 2003
Today is the last day for O'Reilly's 50% off iOS 7 ebooks sale. Has anyone read "Programming iOS 7" and if so is it worth the $20 discount price?

geera
May 20, 2003

Doh004 posted:

Set your app delegates window.rootViewController to your containerViewController. Then from wherever in your app you can do [UIApplication sharedApplication].delegate (and cast it as your app delegates class).
Is it generally considered OK to use the app delegate as a universal holding area for objects you might need to access anywhere in the app (like a database connection, logger, etc)? Are singletons a reasonable alternative for some of those shared purposes? I've tinkered with iOS development and I've been wondering where people put commonly-used objects like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geera
May 20, 2003
Some reading I've done about AutoLayout in the past suggested just using UIStackViews everywhere instead. I'm only a hobbyist developer, so how practical is that advice, really?