Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Ender.uNF posted:

That is an excellent assumption, unless Apple expands capacity. Unfortunately that can have the effect of reducing the effectiveness... I've heard that the best part about going is being able to talk to Apple folks one on one. If it gets too big that will be less likely.

Watching the WWDC videos, most of them are fairly basic stuff so I wonder how much there is to get out of the sessions.

They could do more of them, instead of making it bigger. Although that's not really scaleable either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I'm trying to wrap my head around ARC for a new project. I understand reference counting, but I can't find anywhere that states when increments/decrements are performed and whether you can change a strong reference to a weak reference or vice versa. If I have an object with a strong pointer to some other object, and I want to later assign a different object to that pointer, do I need to do anything other than assign the new object via the setter? Will that decrement the old objects count and increment the new objects count? What if I want to assign a new object but change the reference from strong to weak? Is that even possible? Is there a better resource than this?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

I know Apps from the same developer can share certain permissions and capabilities, but if I create an AssetLibrary asset from one app, is it marked editable from another app (from the same developer)?

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 30, 2012

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

duck monster posted:

Has apple given any indications if and when they are going to start restoring save location dialogues to things?

This business about not letting people save/name files is a total loving useability nightmare. I had to talk my father out of selling his mac over the stupid missing save dialogues because he just doesn't believe its apropriate for serious use anymore if he's not allowed to file things as he likes it anymore. I tend to agree, and when we discussed the issue at the perth Useability SIG pretty much everyone else agreed that its a disaster of an idea.

And in this case a total show stopper.

The hierarchical file system is a relic and it's only going to get more obscure and special purpose from here on out. If anything, the success of iOS has shown that the vast majority of users don't want to know anything about files. There are vastly superior ways to organize the things most people care about than a tree of directories with files at the leaf nodes.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

This all belongs in a separate thread, but the vast majority of developers have serious blinders on when it comes to the file system. The file system api is literally just two methods, GET and PUT. While this simplicity is alluring for developers and implementers, it has serious flaws when it comes to consumers.

Almost every traditional 'desktop' OS application punts when it comes to dealing with the complexities of where to keep files. Most provide a single default location to store ALL files generated by the application. You can sort by date of creation, date of last access, date of last modification, or name (in a single flat namespace) but nothing else without a separate store of metadata. Any sort of organization is punted to end users. Users are asked to organize and provide metadata with no tools other than the file's path and name. Developers work around this problem with conventions (like rails app layouts, the unix filesystem hierarchy standard and metadata stores built on top of the file system like git) and tools (like grep and find). The average user maybe uses directories or file names as primitive tags but mostly has to rely on their own memory or a lot of hunting for half remembered files.

Meanwhile, the technology exists to allow for queries more complex than `GET /pictures/myexgirlfriends/sarah/naked/3.jpg`. What if you want to see all the naked pictures of all your exgirlfriends? Or all naked pictures you have? Or just the ones taken at the beach? Or just the naked pictures of your exgirlfriends taken in 2007 and 2010-2012 but not 2008 and only the pictures from 2009 that feature girls who weren't killed in a gruesome car accident? Good luck expressing that with GET and PUT.

Apple's implementation of new APIs for what we call files is still primitive and has it's own issues (like convoluted shared access amongst users/applications), but at least they're a step towards something better.

Finally, the best and most compelling reason the file system is dumb and should be abandoned for better, richer abstractions is this:

You can emulate hierarchical file systems on top of virtually any database with almost zero effort, but you can't emulate a database on top of the file system without literally writing your own database implementation.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Khelmar posted:

If you only use all those files in one app, sure. What if I want to e-mail a document and a spreadsheet to someone? Then those files can't be locked in to their respective apps.

The other problem is that we're all used to files now, and messing with that paradigm without replacing it with something better really breaks things for people.

If you want to email a document, just email it. This is already possible and always has been. There's also a facility in iOS to open a file with any application that's registered to handle it. The only drawback is that, currently, those applications have to save copies, they can't overwrite the file they are handed. This will almost certainly change.

We replaced files with something better decades ago. They're called databases.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Does everyone just use Glyphish (or custom bespoke stuff) for icons, or is there an alternative I've overlooked? I've been doing iOS development for a year and a half now, but mostly network layer stuff. This is my first time working on the UX and there's literally a billion things I thought I knew but don't.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

How long did it take last year for WWDC2011 videos to go up on the developer site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Any tips or pointers for where to look for a decent crash course in iOS programming without using Interface Builder or Storyboards? I'm a semi-experienced iOS dev but until now I've mostly worked on networking code and server side integration, I haven't really had much exposure to views. Team turnover has forced me into a position where I really need a better handle on higher level concerns. The other team members avoid using IB/Storyboards completely, so I'm kind of lost as to where to look for things.