Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
I'm working on my first iPhone game and have come up against a bit of a showstopper. I need a scrabble dictionary in memory to do some very fast spellchecking, hopefully checking about 100 words vs 250,000+ words in a single frame.

If I hardcode the whole thing in XCode 4 as a single massive line of code like this:

wordList = [NSArray arrayWithObjects:@"aa", @"aah", @"aahed", ... @"zyzzyvas",nil];

The compiler just hangs. It doesn't crash, but it will sit there and chew on it for 30 minutes until I cancel it.

In the past, I've written the same thing, both in C and in flash's actionscript without this sort of problem, so I'm just wondering if anyone can shed some light on any practical limits of XCode, the iOS GCC compiler and iOS itself, or maybe suggest a workaround to my crappy method.

Also any suggestions on the best way to hold and process that amount of data in Objective C (and on an iPhone) would be good. I plan to just do a binary search on it for speed. But I have no idea how an NSString 'compare' will rate for speed and overhead against a simple C style string comparison like this:

if( (char*)myWord < (char*)WordList[index] )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

pokeyman posted:

First step is to use an NSSet, not an NSArray, because you don't care about order. But when you run into the same problem, check out tries, their memory-saving counterpart radix trees, and their goofy cousin dawgs. There's also plenty more where those come from, so poke around.

The idea is to use a data structure whose lookups take time proportional to the length of the word you're checking, as opposed to time proportional to the number of words in your dictionary. If filling this data structure takes too long on the device, you can do it beforehand and dump it to a file, to be loaded on the device when needed.

Comedy option: let ragel do the work for you.

Thanks! Not the answer I was looking for, but very interesting. I found that a plain binary search was fast enough, it's more the reason I need the whole thing in RAM all the time. When I say "fast enough"... a prototype version written in flash and running on an android phone is able to parse 200+ words without a hitch at 30FPS. I'll implement it as a binary search first (already wrote that code years ago) and if it's not quick enough, I'll definitely look into setting up a DAWG. On the surface, my guesstimation is that DAWG may shave off about 30% of the operations, but take about 3 times the RAM. This is only because a lot of the strings I have to check will be 9 letters long.

Are you saying NSSet containsObject is faster than a binary search in an ordered array? I'm not familiar with NSSet, but that seems pretty amazing.

Anyway the answer I really needed was "Load it from an external file, you dolt"

Now I'm looking into how I'm supposed to do that. Wondering whether the convenience of arrayWithContentsOfFile is worth the XML bloat, and whether I can even use fopen and fgets on iOS.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
^^ oh, that 5 bit compression is nice, I'll use that.

I got it working... The wordlist now loads as a NSString from a CSV file, the string is split into an NSArray, the NSArray converted to a NSSet. There's a hasWord method, [dict hasWord:@"TESTING"] returns true, [dict hasWord:"FKJHDSA"] returns false Everything is good.

edit: and it's fixed.

monkey fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 17, 2011

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

pokeyman posted:

I don't know if you're familiar with big-O notation...

Familiar enough to realise it's not O(exp n) so there's not much speed difference between 2,000 and 200,000 words. Would NSSet be practical to store nothing but long ints like in the stackoverflow link Bob Morales posted? I mean practical in terms of the memory footprint and any memory thrashing it may have, compared to just 1 static long int per word?

I'm working on the other end of the search at the moment, and NSStrings are giving me a bit of grief with their handling of individual characters. I'm coming from Actionscript where "searchString+=charArray[x][y];" is valid syntax. It may turn out that converting to long ints will be a lot faster to stitch the searched words together out of a 2D array. I'll benchmark the two search methods anyway, since they're both written now.