Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
marshmonkey and I's company NimbleBit have been developing for iOS going on 3 years now with a good deal of success. We put together a little infographic to celebrate the milestone: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/461612/NBgraph.jpg

I'd be happy to answer any questions or give any advice about iOS development or App Store strategies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Doc Block posted:

Is it true about the "Always release on Thursday. Always." thing? If so, why do you think that is?

I never put much stock in releasing on a certain day. The most important thing is to set your release date to a future date so you can control the release instead of putting it live right when it is approved. After an app is approved you can send promo codes to media and review sites which will let them test the app so you can have enough coverage to have a decent launch on that future date.

At this point we don't have to worry that much though because every new game we release gets coverage on all the major sites and we've been lucky enough to have Apple feature every game (Pocket Frogs got the very first iPhone/iPad game of the week features).

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Ender.uNF posted:

How have you gotten artwork done for your apps? My biggest problem with starting a game project is I can't find an artist to work with. (I'm sure at this point you have the cash to pay whoever you need). My current goal is release early and often so I've been focusing on projects that I can do on my own without having to wait on or rely on anyone else.

So far I haven't done any advertising except here on SA but my live app (Storm Sim) is somewhat niche. My next app isn't but it isn't a game either.

Any other general advice would be appreciated.

We are lucky enough that my brother is an artist and I am a programmer. We haven't and probably never will contract anything out, it just gets too messy.

My biggest piece of advice is usually that it is almost always better to have more people using your app. A lot of devs are scared of free but it gives you 10x the audience and there is almost always a way to monetize that. Might not make sense for the niche utility apps you mentioned though.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Inevitable Ross posted:

You could also use Testflight ( http://www.testflightapp.com ) , if you don't want to go through all of the server rigamarole bullshit. I'm pretty (100%) sure it's what the nimblebit guys use, and we all know what colossal jerks they are.

Yeah Testflight is free and awesome, and gives us more time to learn new ways to be colossal jerks.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

kitten smoothie posted:

No payment date here for the whopping $48.80 I am owed this cycle (on the upside it's 26 cents more than last month, I'm on the up and up here!).

Don't they hold payment until you're owed more than $250 in a territory or did they get rid of that?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Funso Banjo posted:

They got rid of that. Thank god, or my early months would have been even drier than they actually were :)

It was a retarded way to do things.

It made sense back when they sent a wire from every territory separately. You'd lose half your payment in bank fees.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Doc Block posted:

A submission question:
I submitted an app, it's been in Waiting For Review status for a about a week. Last night I discovered stupid bug that was somehow missed in testing, rejected the binary, fixed the bug, and re-uploaded the binary. The app is now back to Waiting For Review.

So my question, for those with more App Store submission/review process experience than me: what are the odds that my app did or didn't get bumped to the back of the Waiting For Review line?

It was originally set to be released on March 1st, but hopefully now it'll at least be approved before Apple's big March 7th event.

You get bumped back to the beginning.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Froist posted:

Forgive me for what may be an stupid question.

I've got a few years experience writing mobile apps (mainly Symbian) and about 6 months ago I started learning iOS development for work, and have now made a couple of business-y iPad apps. I've had an idea for a game I want to make in my free time, but having never made a game before I'm not really sure how to start.

My idea's for a game similar to Bejewelled (yeah, we need another one of those) so luckily it takes physics engines/complex input/3D rendering out of the equation. I was also going for a very minimal graphic design, similar to Async Corp with (probably) manually drawn objects rather than image textures which would usually be managed by a game engine.

Given these factors, and my inexperience with any game engines, how would you approach developing this? I see I have 3 options:
  • Man up and learn how one of these engines works, probably cocos2d (unless there are any other suggestions?)
  • Create my UI with lots of custom UIViews, one for each 'block' in the puzzle plus others for the other UI elements, and manipulate these as the game is played
  • Create one big custom UIView that does all the drawing for the whole game grid (I think this is a bad option)

Obviously these last 2 options lock me into UIKit and would make porting it to any other platforms far more tricky further down the line. At the moment I don't have any plans for this, but I do have an Android tablet (and know java, though nothing Android specific), so it would be neat if there was an engine I could use with zero modification (aside from the framework requirements) on both that and my iPhone.

Am I an idiot for even considering just using UIViews for this, or is it reasonable given I won't require most of the things I'd expect a game engine provides you with? As it's the method I know off the bat it may be easier for prototyping and just seeing how my idea plays out, and basic UIKit animations should cover the style I'm going for.

Definitely go with cocos2d.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Bob Morales posted:

You could just have at it with OpenGL.

Or, make your own simple game engine:

Contrary to the title, it's not a 'beginner' book.

I'm one of the authors on that book. Wouldn't recommend it over online cocos2d tutorials (or a cocos2d centered book).

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

jerkstore77 posted:

Thanks, I'll look into those.

On the topic of cheating, I'm going to have some time-based events in my game. Is there a standard way of dealing with the "set your phone's clock ahead, receive item, set clock back" exploit? On stackoverflow, the only solution I could find is to use an external server to grab the time, but I'm not sure if the web services above allow you to do that. If they do, I guess I answered my own question.

Just detect the clock moving backwards, travelers won't get hit because the time zone changes not the UTC date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Anyone interested in the cross-platform benefits of Unity while still wanting to develop 2d games primarily in code (not the 3d editor thingy) should check out http://struct.ca/futile