Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Is there any way of downloading xcode 4.1 from apple other than the loving app store.

Its been about 8 hours and its still only at about 10-15%. Having tried to flip open xcode to work on a contract this morning only to discover lion has invalidated my copy (ughhhh) I've lost an entire day to this poo poo and seeing no chance of an improvement.

I can not stand this app store stuff. Just give me a goddamn website apple... :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

If it where me, I'd quote about $6K for two weeks work. ($2.5K a week or $500 a day or $60hr, plus $1K babysit through the app store process fee)

Alas I'm not free to bid for a few months :(

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Zhentar posted:

KDiff3 works well, although visually speaking it's not a well done port.

I've used KDiff3 with Mercurial and MacHG, but the integration seems pretty weak (or I'm just not understanding MacHG well)

When I get conflicts I tend to just hand edit them these days. Bit of a oval office but oh well. I sort of have to anyway when I get the conflicts on the headless dev+deployment servers, so its a skill I'm pretty adept at anyway.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Funso Banjo posted:

Apple are driving me crazy.

I created an app, and they rejected it. I fixed the issue, and re-uploaded it. They rejected it again, and gave some very vague reasons. Upon me replying they said "We need to phone you about this issue, give us your number" And a week later they still haven't phoned.

I am tearing my hair out. I have had an app rejected before, again with vague reasons. I fixed it and that one was accepted upon re-submission. In essence, the resolution centre is absolutely terrible. They have simply ignored roughly half of any messages I send through the resolution centre, and when they do reply, it's never particularly helpful.

Is there a trick to getting these people to take you seriously?

Once upon a time I'd say "email steve jobs" (seriously, the dude actually reads his email). But thats probably not a crash hot idea anymore. Cancer/bad organs/etc means he's probably more interested now in realigning his charkras/making peace with shiva or whatever hippy poo poo he retains from his youth than being a helpful tech mogul. And fair enough I suppose. If I was looking mortality down the barrel of the gun I'd be pretty not giving of a gently caress about workplace poo poo.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Funso Banjo posted:

Does anyone have any experience fighting installous?

I have seen a drop off in sales since my best selling app hit installous. A drop off is expected, of course, at a certain point in an app's life, but this particular drop and the app appearing on installous is too much of a coincidence for me to just ignore it.

A couple of the hosting sites have removed the app after a simple email, but one in particular is basically saying I need to get a lawyer involved (my app sales are just about paying the bills, they will struggle to accomodate regular legal fees as well) to get it removed from their servers.

As a really small time self employed developer, I never though pirates would affect me :(

Last company I worked at got absolutely hosed when our app hit installous. I understand people warezing adobe or whatever. Zillion dollar company with zillion dollar product. Right or wrong, the economics of being poor-rear end and needing photoshop for a uni assignment are rationalizable. Its a dog act to pirate a $1 app when that $1 is directly coming out of a single persons meal for the night, especially when iphone app development gets seriously poverty line sometimes.

For what its worth, it could get worse. A while back I found our bands album on a whole bunch of online music stores that had no permission to be on there selling our album for like 70c and stuff. Seemed to perfectly co-inside with our sales crashing. When we tried to get them to take it down they basically said "Get your lawyer to contact us". So we reported it to the RIAA and never heard back about it. But eventually decided "gently caress it" and uploaded the whole drat thing to pirate bay, since the only way to compete with 70c is to give the loving thing away.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 21, 2011

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Well I guess the old "nuclear option" of an email to steve jobs when poo poo goes haywire with the appstore that once saved my business isn't available anymore.

:(

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

PT6A posted:

XCode is driving me nuts. I want to make a reduced-feature free version of my app, so this is what I've done:

1) Duplicated my original target.

2) In the new target, set the info.plist to use a different plist with a different logo and bundle ID.

3) Create two different versions of a header, one which #defines __FREE_VERSION__ and the other which doesn't, which are then put in different paths. The different paths are then added to the correct target as the user header search path.

What I expect will happen is that the second target will build with the new settings and behave the way I want. What is actually happening is that the second target produces the same thing as the first target, no matter which settings I attempt to change. I'm not a real expert at using XCode (which should be pretty clear), but I must be overlooking something incredibly simple. Why does my second target not want to use the settings from the Info.plist I've told it to use?

EDIT: Just tried it again after removing the duplicate target and all associated files... I still can't seem to get the two targets to behave differently. I can get them both to either build the free version, or the paid version, but I can separate them. Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this before?

EDIT 2: Unless someone has the magic bullet to solve this problem, I think I'm just going to switch the header files and plists manually. I've spent more time trying figure out how to do this the "right way" than it would take me to swap it out manually 20 times...

header files dont seem to be part of target file collections for some reason, if my memory serves me right. Have BOTH sets of data in the same config.h file bracketed by #IFDEF sections and specify the token that activates these in the compiler settings for each target.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

lord funk posted:

What really bothers me is not knowing when a random blog post or article about Xcode is for 3 or 4. I tried (and failed) to get an ad hoc build for a beta tester, but I was piecing together different articles that were spanned 4 years apart.

The ad-hoc thing confused the poo poo out of me in xcode 4. From memory you need to basically get a new build config up for adhoc (Uh, just replicate the release one, and set it up for the right signing poo poo), then you archive it, then go to organizer and click send.

Apple need to seriously resist the urge to engage in magic though with this. The fact you cant select the build config makes me nervous as hell (What if I want *two* adhoc builds, one for internal testers, the other for beta testers, with different signing profiles? Or how about different build configs with various compiler flags. I dont know how to do that, and creating new targets is just fiddly as gently caress.)

e: Oh yeah and the whole not being able to set the base SDK to a 3.x one is pretty scary since I dont have a 3.x phone to test it, but every contract ever will ask for it.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 23, 2011

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

By the way. I've had upwards of 50 apps for various different dev contracts up on the store, but I havent once used a UINavigationController till the other day, when chasing some whacky issues with callbacks on UIViews that had been released just drove me so far up the wall I started hunting for alternatives.

I had just assumed it had to be used with listviews and required the bar.

Nope. And dear god are they easy to use. I wish I had explored this 2 years ago. I'm going to use these for loving everything now. The problems just ~=mAgIc=~ away.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Echo Video posted:

Out of curiosity, what sort of techniques were you using before?

[[self view] addSubView:blah] mostly.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Doc Block posted:

Cocos2D 2.0 is still alpha. Stick to 1.x for now (1.1 should go into Release Candidate status within a few weeks).

If theres one community generated API I'd love to see Apple cannonise as offical, Cocos2D is it. If your not using Cocos for 2D games, your doing it all wrong.

Although apples convention of ReallyFuckingLongApiNameCallsThatAreImpossibleToRemember is something I can live without.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

pipebomb posted:

Any iPad devs in the Atlanta area? I have a bit of funding, an idea and some documentation ready to roll. I'd be able to pay you a stipend and a cut of profits as well as, if it really takes off, part ownership of future stuff.
I would need you to sign an nda before we could discuss the project in depth, but suffice it to say it is a boring productivity app that could be huge.

If you're in the area, give me a shout: pipebomb @ gmail.com

If you have funding enough to pay someones wage, you should not have a problem finding a dev. But seriously, if your offer is "a cut of the profits", don't bother. Good ideas are like assholes, everyones got one, but an idea alone is not enough, you have to have money to market the thing.

The problem is, EVERY ios dev who does contract work regularly gets offers to do work for "a cut of the profit". The problem is, usually people who make those offers don't have the money to market it, meaning the profit is unlikely to be good.

But if you can offer enough money to pay a wage (and hey, you might have enough to fund a student to do it in his part time) you shouldn't have a problem.

Basically, if you want someone to make your ideas, be prepared to wear the consequence of the idea failing.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Hey I have a question.

This 5.0.1 thing seems to be about stopping ios from deleting files in low storage scenarios.

Uh... :siren:

Does ios really just go about deleting user files if it runs out of space? Thats pretty loving disturbing if you ask me.

Am I interpretting this right?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Bitruder posted:

This isn't really Cocoa specific, but it may be. I'm writing an app that lets users define differential equations and then simulate the results. I want a user to be able to type in "dw/dt = x*(w-y)", define what x and y are, obviously, and then run the simulation. The simulation would use some kind of differential equation solving technique (runge-kutta or whatever) and solve the differential equation over time.

What is a fast way to do this? Is there anything I can use that could even approach compiling a function that actually does this? That is, at each time step I need to compute "dw = x*(w-y)*dt" but, of course, the "x*(w-y) part is arbitrary and the user can enter whatever they like here.

Essentially, I need to convert user entered code into a mathematical expression that i can compute and I need to be able to run the computation as quickly as possible.

Any suggestions?

I'm writing my app with Objective-C and Cocoa.

Thanks

Your opening a giant can of worms here.

Generally the thing you want to do is to look at your equasion as a tree, where you start parsing at the branches and eventually follow the results to the root.

So y * (w - y ) * dt , becomes

(( x * (w - y)) * dt)

becomes
code:
        multiply
         |   |
      +--+   DT
      |
     multiply
     |      |
  subtract  X
  |      |
  w      y
So really what you want to do is to figure out how to break down your equasion into a parse tree like that. Theres plenty of stuff on the net on how to do this.

If you want your thing to actually solve more complex problems in algebra however , congratulations your now balls deep in the spikey part of computer science. Suggestion in that case: Buy mathmatica.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Just got GHUnit working with Jenkins so I have continuous integration feeding off mercurial (Me and Git dont really get along well. I just add it as a sort of bogo target to package it up into a commit and fire it at the build server, and if the unit tests fail, send me a nice likke "gently caress you" letter telling me where the regressions are, and if it passes, to build a nice IPA. The next step is to get it working with that Test flight poo poo, and I have a god drat loving process on my hands. I can also hook it into redmine too which is great since I usueally set up a redmine project for each of my clients and I reckon if I work this right I'll have a nice project infrastructure with all the scrumboard type fruit so its all pro as gently caress.

Meaning I can focus on PROGRAMMING MOTHERFUCKER and less on keeping up the pretense that I'm on top of things.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Please share, I want this. I'll help with TestFlight stuff if you want, it's where I wanted to start but you're way ahead overall.

Its really not hard. If you go to the GHUnit site, theres pretty much stepwise instructions on doing this.

The testflight thing is a standard jenkins plugin.

Basically you download GHUnit, and compile it up. Open your main project and add a new Test target, then drag the GHUnit framework into the target. The instructions suggest using a "window based application" project, but since that isnt a thing anymore in xcode, just do an empty one. Follow the instructions to get it up and running, and maybe add some example tests in just to make sure it works before commiting to a big bunch of time writing proper tests.

By this stage you should be able to run unit tests from your macs command line(!)

Then, uh, you have to get the runtests.sh running (copy from /scripts/) and hook it in as a build step.

Once this is done, set up jenkins on a mac (You can run it with java -jar jenkins.war ) and grab whatever plugins you need. Then you should be able to point it at the repository you push to , and add the necessary hook in for it to interogate the junit xml output.

And you now have a continuous integration server.

I think the next step then is to get a build step up (I'm thinking this really wants to be on a different build project thats manually fired, so you can fat-finger mash test your app as well before pushing it out I guess) that builds from the command line (This isnt so hard) and code-signs, then uses the testpilot jenkins plugin to push out your IPA to your beta testers.

For doing a mercurial push thing I just wrote a script like this;-

/usr/local/bin/hg addremove
/usr/local/bin/hg commit -m "Auto commit"
/usr/local/bin/hg push <push target>

The usr/local/bin stuff is because the environment doesnt really seem set up properly for scripts, so some explicitness seems necessary.

Now to figure out the redmine<--> jenkins integration. Yeah that poo poo aint documented at all :(

duck monster fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 9, 2011

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Yeah its not that hard to cook up your own solution with string replacing. Just create a function like , I dunno TR(@"String") and have it so it does a look up of the string and replaces it as needed. Keep the function name short as possible to minimize RSI or "brain RSI"

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

They seem a pretty handy tool for prototyping. Don't really have an opinion either way about suitability for real-world use , since manually managing views is pretty innexpensive brainpower wise.

If it makes your life easier, and you understand what its doing, sure, why not.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

Is anyone else developing in flash CS5.1 for the iPhone?

Hiss! boo!

Also, did apple relent on this?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Doc Block posted:

Yeah, but good luck with finding one that has a SWIFT code and all that. None of the local credit unions or small banks in my area had one, I had to go with Wells Fargo.

And excuse my ignorance, but does Canada have credit unions?

You sure about that. I Don't know how it works in the US, but here, most credit unions usually have one of the banks as a sort of back-end to handle that stuff (Ie the one I'm with uses National Bank to handle all that crap). I imagine it must be the same for a lot of US credit unions too yeah?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Doc Block posted:

I'd learn C first, then move on to Objective-C. That way when you try to learn Objective-C you'll already understand the basics and can focus on just the Objective-C stuff.

Honestly I dunno if its that necessary. If you keep inside the ObjC umbrella a lot of the "hard" stuff like passing poo poo by refs/pointers etc just isnt needed. If you can already code, I'd just go straight into it, keep a C manual nearby incase something DOES want some of C's' fruitier concepts and code away. ObjC imho is very newbie friendly.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

sleepness posted:

Hey friendly programmer goons. I'm looking for a developer looking for some extra cash to help me with a project I want to implement. It's very simple, so I don't think you need to be a professional to do this.

I'm looking for a pretty simple application. I will send all the necessary fonts and logos and text needed. What I need the app to do is have 4 buttons on the home page, that once clicked, displays some text that I will provide on a different page, as well as a "Find My Race!" button (will describe this later.) I also need a "Go back home" button that takes you to the home screen. Also, on the home page, I will need a facebook and twitter button.

As for the find my race button, I don't know how easy or hard this would be for a developer, but this is what I'm picturing in my head. They press the button. Either the GPS goes off and locates them, or they can input their zip (Whichever is easier). Then, after that, the application will find the nearest event to that person based on where they are located.

If that part is too difficult, I can deal with just the other features working nicely. Shoot me an e-mail at rjkaszuba at gmail if you are interested. I will pay a fair amount, don't want to cheap anyone out!

Am I the only person who finds an app that can tell you what race you are and has the text "Go back home!" disturbing.

Your not an australian by any chance?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

xzzy posted:

I think he meant race as in runners or cars trying to finish a course first.

I know , I was just pulling the piss

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

gently caress coder machismo. Interface builder is awesome, once you get the hang of it.

People who like coding interfaces by hand are wierd to my thinking.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The thing is, if your interface is tht complex, your probably doing it all wrong.

The whole deal with iOS and mac interfaces is they should be simple and as apple-y looking as possible. IF its compliant, your coding in a propper model-view-controller pardgim and are not rolling whats already provided, then chances are your IB <-> Code relationship will be simple.

Unless your doing a game, in which case carry on... (Its the one thing I wouldnt use IB on , cos I'd rather use Cocos2d)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

PT6A posted:

Yeah, the one thing I really miss about iOS development when working with Android (so far at least) is the comparative lack of control over interface layout, necessitated by the lack of control over the destination device.

What do other devs who work with both platforms think? Personally, I really like the way Android handles behind-the-scenes stuff, but iOS kicks its rear end in everything presentation-related.

Considering I'm alergic to Java at an almost genetic level, my opinion of Android has been both terrible and completely and irrationally biased!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Carthag posted:

Nibs basically works through the NSCoding protocol.

You interact with the properties of the objects when designing your interface in IB, such as setting the frame of a button, the values of things, bindings, all that. When you save it to a nib, the properties & ivars are serialized via encodeWithCoder:.

When your app loads a nib and recreates the interface, it does so via initWithCoder:

I think the actual coder used is probably a different one than the NSKeyedArchiver you'll normally see when working with NSCoding.

They go into it a little bit in the 2010 WWDC talk about custom Cocoa views. That's how you create your own IB view plugins too, like a custom button for instance.

I'd actually really like Apple to push the IB custom plugin deal a bit more. One of the things that gave Delphi its power was the ability to write custom "Controls" that neatly encapsulated functionality behind a fairly clean interface that could be dragged-dropped and then wired in. This made life a LOT easier when doing big projects on delphi cos sites like Torys delphi site had thousands of these things, most with permissive open source licenses so it was easy to just drop a control in that, say, provided graphing or whatever, hook it up, and have a prototype in time for the lunch meeting with the client. Nothing I've seen, except maybe VB (which was a terrible terrible language) , was as productive as that. Having a big library of custom IB "controls" for iphone + mac work would be a huge productivity bonus for me. I mean theres plenty of *libraries* out there, but there always seems to be so much lovely boiler plate involved with using them.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

yeah thats true. The downside of the zillions of controls thing with delphi was it was a bit too easy to create wild and completely insane UIs for things (I literally created a bright pink barbie themed UI once for a clients app (motored industrial camera controller) I was trying to coax into severing our contract because I hated the oval office) and apple dont want that, plus yeah the delegate thing.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 24, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

By the way guys, if any of you are looking for any work to keep the rent paid while in college, oDesk has loving tonnes of iphone/ipad contracts and seems easy to get work in. Don't get too put off by all the indian dudes quoting at $10 an hour, as a lot of people are very wary of that sort of thing and would prefer to pay a bit more for an American who charges fair prices. Caveat emptor, read the "elance is a clusterfuck" thread for some warnings on it all though.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Any unemployed australians in here up for some work?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

xelfer posted:

cant reply mailbox is full. :)

Eep. Let me sort that out now. Ok try now

duck monster fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 7, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

This has me mystified:
code:
-(void)retrieveTimeSheet {
    NSString *serverUrl=@"http://someshit/?date=2012-02-15";
    NSData *serverData=
            [NSData dataWithContentsOfURL:[NSURL URLWithString:serverUrl]];
    NSError *theError = nil;
    NSArray *jobsArray =
    [[CJSONDeserializer deserializer] deserialize:serverData error:&theError];

NSDateFormatter *df = [[NSDateFormatter alloc] init];
    [df setDateFormat:@"yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss"];
    NSString *testString = [[[jobsArray objectAtIndex:0] objectForKey:@"fields"] objectForKey:@"start_time"];
    NSLog(@"String: %@", testString);
    NSLog(@"Error: %@", theError);
    NSLog(@"Result: %@", [df dateFromString:testString]);

}
makes
code:

e: Also can I make NSData datawithcontentsofurl cookie aware, so I can poo poo some authentication down its throat first?
Attaching to process 8873.
2012-02-16 18:24:28.532 adamant[8873:fb03] String: 2012-02-15 09:00:00
2012-02-16 18:24:28.533 adamant[8873:fb03] Error: (null)
2012-02-16 18:24:28.534 adamant[8873:fb03] Result: 2012-02-15 01:00:00 +0000
:confused:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Carthag posted:

As far as I can tell, NSDate is unaware of timezones, that all takes place in NSDateFormatter, so that might be it. Maybe this helps: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2534757/nsdate-datefromstring-how-to-parse-around-utc-gmt-and-user-locale

You'll probably need NSMutableURLRequest if you want cookies

Aaaaahhhhh of course. I'm +8GMT, it all makes sense.

So according to that I could add a category onto NSDate or whatever it is to add a [mydate nonRetardedDateAnswer] message that ensures +8 is being adhered to.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The Born Approx. posted:

Don't know if this is the right place for this but does anyone use gfortran on their Mac? I had it installed and working previously but I haven't used it in about a year. Today I was trying to compile something and I get this error:

gfortran: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory

I've done some googling and the only suggestions I can really understand are to download the latest version of XCode as well as install the latest version of gfortran for Lion which I've done. Still get the same error. I'm not a computer scientist so I don't understand what this is trying to tell me. Anyone have any idea?

as is the assemmbler gfortrans using in its compile toolchain, does gcc or any of that poo poo work?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

This is really loving me off, because I cant defeat this stupid overengineered piece of poo poo class.

code:
        NSDateFormatter *df = [[NSDateFormatter alloc] init];
        [df setDateFormat:@"yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss"];
        NSTimeZone *tz = [NSTimeZone timeZoneForSecondsFromGMT:(8 * 3600)]; 
        [df setTimeZone:tz];
        NSLog(@"%@",[df dateFromString:[record objectForKey:@"end_time"]]);
In goes "end_time" = "2012-02-19 09:30:00";
and out shits: 2012-02-19 01:30:00 +0000

:fuckoff:

Is there a way to just tell this retarded loving thing that I want my loving date to not be in GMT+0 time, like just loving leave the date alone and not gently caress with it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Zhentar posted:

If you don't love NSDate yet, just wait till you want to get tomorrow's date and find yourself starting off with
code:
NSCalendar *gregorian = [[NSCalendar alloc] initWithCalendarIdentifier:NSGregorianCalendar];

Well at least I know that if I want klingon calendar, the hooks are there for it already.

fucken engineers :argh:

e: Also it turns out if I capitalized the H's in the string format, it all starts to work. I honestly have no idea why, but :toot:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Look what I just found on the net
code:
// Makes an NSArray work as an NSTableDataSource.
@implementation NSArray (NSTableDataSource)

// just returns the item for the right row
- (id)     tableView:(NSTableView *) aTableView objectValueForTableColumn:(NSTableColumn *) aTableColumn row:(int) rowIndex
{  
  return [self objectAtIndex:rowIndex];  
}

// just returns the number of items we have.
- (int)numberOfRowsInTableView:(NSTableView *)aTableView
{
  return [self count];  
}
@end
:drac: Mind blown

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I want to travel to california to stab the apple engineer who thought that it would be a good idea to make NSArray and NSDictionary non-mutable. Why the gently caress would such a thing ever exist. Was Steve jobs flipping furniture around that day and decided to order his coders to "be cunts to developers".

I need to drink because this project just got unexpectedly really hard, 2 days after completion deadline.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

superh posted:

What's wrong with NSMutableArray and NSMutableDictionary? And if you've got a lot of NSArrays already, find + replace? Am I missing something?

I've did a search and replace on every instance , and its still bitching me out. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

E: bah. Forget it.