Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Just a quick question for you guys I should be able to completely code compile and run programs on a hackintosh? I want to start coding asap but don't have the funds for a MBP yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Are there any new books out that deal with Xcode 4? Since Lion is not compatible with Xcode 3.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So when working with foundation in xcode 4

code:
NSAutoreleasePool * pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];
is replaced by
code:
@Autoreleaspool;
?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Anyone have a good resource for learning SpriteKit? I'm trying to make some character grids and my positioning is all wonky.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

SaTaMaS posted:

Are there any good resources on functional design patterns for Swift? As I understand it, functional programming has obsoleted a lot of the design patterns as they were presented in the Gang of Four book, but when I look for Swift design patterns online, they tend to be OOP implementations of the GOF patterns that don't take advantage of Swift's functional capabilities.

obj-c.io has an app architecture book that covers TEA(The Elm Architecture) that allows functional programing. TEA is only one out of 5 architectures covered.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So did SwiftUI just put a bunch of us out of jobs? (being facetious)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

How stable are the MacOS betas? I want to mess around with the SwiftUI tutorial but view preview is only available on 10.15

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hey I inherited a codebase with my new job. No one that worked on it is there and it hasn’t been really touched until I was hires. They used fast lane to handle certs and one of the certs is now expired. How do I get it to fix that? I thought fast lane was supposed to do it automatically. Also should I look into something better than fastlane(if there is)?

Are the Xcode tools ready for prime time? Am I ready for prime time? I have so much to do. At least I’m currently having fun and getting to do whatever I want. :unsmith:

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 11, 2019

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I don't know if I hosed up something with our Apple Pay certs or our payment processor did, but I am having a BAD TIME.

Edit: Also ended up figuring out I needed to manually delete the certs and provisioning profiles in the certificate repo to get fastlane to do what I wanted it to. I guess it's very useful when things aren't hella out of date.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 24, 2019

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

is dark mode on?

That's my first thought. Had to disable that poo poo ASAP as it totally borked many pages in our app.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yeah xcode fails to find one of my pods sometimes, and fails to find my project when i run my uitests(rarely actually failing to build) but the error is persistent. It's very annoying and the pod issue only goes away after restarting the computer.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

My only issue with swiftpm is that it doesn't support custom schemes yet. Otherwise it's great.

What are y'all doing for oauth 2? I was trying to roll my own solution and I'm timeboxing it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://forums.swift.org/t/accepted-se-0279-multiple-trailing-closures/36141/83

Why is this change so mind bending for the community? Wonder what the folks here think of it. I don't particularly like it and I don't think it will ever result in a breaking change due to abi stability but it's just not that big a deal.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Data Graham posted:

So my late-90s battle scars are itching something fierce. Is Apple about to find itself staking out a shrinking ghetto by not supporting WebP?

Seems like Chrome penetration is at a high enough level that people are tossing WebP files around via imgur and other such places without even realizing they're not using a "standard" image format. Much like in the days when it quickly became apparent that you couldn't educate people not to send "binaries" to newsgroups because they don't know what "binaries" are, they're just using their seamless WYSIWYG news posting app to send images to the group, what's the problem?

I'm really not feeling like I want to die on the hill of being the crank Safari/iOS user who only has himself to blame for not being able to see the funny image someone posted but still feels the need to grouse in public about it.

This seems like Google is forcing it because I'm clearly looking at something stored as a jpg and downloading it changes it to a webp when I'm in chrome and it's a jpg when I'm in safari which is total bullshit.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I saw this blog post about SwiftUI and how to approach it within your apps. I think this WWDC will give us a good idea of what Apple's long term plans for it are. I think the majority of apps seem to be getting simpler so SwiftUI will cover that majority. No idea what sort of divergence that will create with UIKit.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

SwiftUI is getting grids and stacks thank gently caress. I'm hype y'all.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/swiftui/view-layout-and-presentation

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

brand engager posted:

We're still working on this lmao

any pitfalls you can recommend avoiding? I'm re-doing one of our views in SwiftUI for our next iteration. I'm the lone iOS dev so I can't rewrite the whole thing before Black Friday(ecomm.)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

In a similar vein I spent a lot of time trying to fix previews.

https://twitter.com/dannypier/status/1190312160557068293

one god drat check box.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

anyone have a good way to do a bottom half modal?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

dc3k posted:

I wanted to see how much work it would be to get it into one of our apps and I found that Widgets were a good place to learn some basics.

I wish I had been smart and done this. I built a new e commerce checkout for work with SwiftUI and it was great for the first 90%. Trying to finish out the last 10% which requires integrating with some 3rd party frameworks might kill me. Also the keyboard is trash and it’s very bad for users.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

brand engager posted:

Something like?
code:
VStack {
    HStack {
        viewA //top left on left-to-right language phones
        Spacer()
        viewB //top right
    }
    Spacer()
    HStack {
        viewC //bottom left
        Spacer()
        viewD //bottom right
    }
}
and use padding() as needed

This works if you're statically sizing the views but if they're dynamic then you're going to run into issues as Spacer() will only fill empty space.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

awesomeolion posted:

I'm having a really not fun time trying to manage the Apple Developer account which is the Account Holder. What's the right way to handle this? Presumably large companies have a good flow for managing the Account Holder that isn't hope one person's account details and phone number still work and that they can send you the login details and 2fa code or whatever. Assuming that every app has exactly one email+phone number that can both legally own the app and pop open the developer portal any time of day to accept a new agreement or do whatever admin task that only the Account Holder can do feels pretty dumb to me but maybe that's just because it's a pain in my rear end today.

It's not great and there's really not many solutions because Apple want's account holders to be real people. The best you can do is fool it with a shared account, but most large orgs tend to avoid shared accounts because of security risks from what I've seen.

In painful news my colleagues where working on a react native internal enterprise app and I'm now trying to set up build automation for them. To track versions they've been changing the bundle identifier and I kind of want to scream.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

lord funk posted:

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned the new Small Business Program. Getting a 15% increase in revenue is really a big deal, and I'm happy that Apple is doing this. Just got my notice today.

I'm definitely happy it happened. Just can't speak to the experience as I just do ecommmerce stuff. I've actually never put anything out on the app store under my name. Maybe I should change that in 2021.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm trying to set up fastlane for ditribution of an enterprise app. match made a new iOS Distribution certificate, and a universal distribution provisioning profile for an existing bundle id. I built the ipa via gym with the export_method being enterprise. It was distributed to a test ipad via jamf but it just shows up greyed out. From my understanding of provisioning profiles and certs this ipa should work. Is there anything common I might be missing? google is pretty useless.

Edit: Turns out my tester's ipad was on iOS 13 and I had updated to target iOS 14. So completely unrelated to cert stuff.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 11, 2021

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

if you're already using fastlane why not use match to handle all the cert stuff for you?

perfect time to do it since current are expiring.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Lumpy posted:

I guess I can do that. I didn't know what Fastlane was a couple days ago, so I'm open to suggestions. The way it was set up is that when you push to a branch, it builds an app that is released on Testflight and when you merge into master, it creates a build you can then select in the app portal website thingy. Will that match thing work with that?

Yeah generally you have match run before the build step(gym line in your Fastfile) to sync certificates or make new ones if need be. Video is from one of the fastlane devs(THE fastlane dev?) and will do a way better job of explaining the whole process than I could. If you have any questions drop ‘em in here and I can help.

https://youtu.be/6Jz-Ywxki0U

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

is anyone familiar with jamf? i signed our app with a new cert and some of our devices are popping an untrusted developer error. which is driving me bonkers that it's only some devices and of course with jamf locking them down they can not simply trust the cert in settings. is there something IT needs to do in jamf with the new cert?

edit: updating the devices to ios 14.2 worked????

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 11, 2021

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

lord funk posted:

Well gently caress. Looks like running my app on iOS 14 causes saved files to have data payloads of nothing because of deprecated keyed archiving. Awesome! Glad my data is more secure because of the move to NSSecureCoding!

gently caress.

I just changed over to archivedData:withRootObject:requiringSecureCoding and it was a pain in the rear end because it's a bunch of extra code. I had no idea ios 14 broke things though that sure is something.

I'm in a lot of pain because you can't generate an appstoreconnect api key for an enterprise account and apple now enforces 2fa so all the automation i just finished setting up is broken. literally got one build out with automation.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

none of the legal folks can tell me what we should or shouldn't track to comply with the IDFA changes. I'm about to shut off all tracking and then get fired because number go down.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

can y'all confirm for me that in ios 14.5 Settings>Privacy>Tracking "Allow Apps to Request to Track" is defaulted to off?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

jabro posted:

Mine was set to on. Never touched it before now when I turned it off. All the individual app settings were set to off though.

interesting I don't remember setting my phone to off. apple has rejected my app saying i don't use requestTrackingAuthorizationWithCompletionHandler: while using app tracking transparency but it's in app delegate's application(_:didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:) and running it on the simulator the alert shows up. running it on my phone even after deleting and setting Allow Apps to Request to Track to on it just pops into the completion handler saying it was denied. i appealed but there's been no response.

also number predictably went down and people are freaking out even after i explained it to them. fun times.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Some of those settings get cached for awhile, even between reinstalls. Might try deleting app, enabling things in Settings.app, rebooting phone, then build and run?

i tried that and no luck. used an old iphone and was able to get it to show up.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

smackfu posted:

I’ve been playing with a little toy SwiftUI project and I’ve been a bit surprised that random updates to the OS or XCode (not sure which) have introduced new compilation errors. Is that typical? Am I doing something wrong?

For instance, I think I had a VStack that only had one child, because I had commented out the other, and now that is a compilation error.

I don't think they've made any major changes to SwiftUI in Xcode 12.5 and this definitely isn't the actual error. SwiftUI has wonky errors sometimes that are caused by statements earlier in the View struct.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Has anyone interviewed at Apple for iOS positions?

Have an all day web interview to schedule and trying to figure out how much time to give myself and what to focus on for studying.

I’m definitely weak at CoreData so that’s one place I will need to tighten up.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fate Accomplice posted:

there will be an entire session solely dedicated to concurrency/multithreading.

source: have bombed the multithreading interview.

twice.

Well poo poo. That’s def an area I need more experience with. Can you to point at any resources you think would have made you ace the section?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

....So now you can build on iPadOS?

yeah they way they zoomed past that was weird.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kind of salty AsyncImage is SwiftUI only.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

did not see that and it wasn't mentioned in What's New In UIKit. good find!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Pulcinella posted:

This has been a good overview of all the new developer focused technologies.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/New-Technologies-WWDC-2021

Nice! will check that out today.

https://mobile.twitter.com/twannl/status/1402164871974817794

I don’t think we have account deletion anywhere… heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I just got owned for like 3 hours by UIStackView.removeArrangedSubview(_:)

you have to call removeFromSuperview() on the view as well to prevent it from actually appearing on the screen

I'm going to get chewed up and spit out during this Apple interview.

ModeSix posted:

I am curious about something.

Unless I really plan to do a deep dive and want to be an Apple specific developer, is there any benefit to me learning Swift/UIKit etc. as opposed to sticking with something like React Native (Expo)?

I had done a lot of Apple development some years ago (2010-2013 maybe) and wonder if I really need to learn the Apple specific stack or if sticking with something like RN will do everything I need?

Only learn as much as you need if you don't plan on being an iOS developer. tbh i feel like it's more of a pain being an iOS dev when it comes to job search time.