Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

lord funk posted:

What do you all use to keep track of total app downloads? I'm probably way late to the game (it looks like iTunes connect no longer does 6 months at a time it does, but for all apps combined).

We track a rough count by using Flurry analytics and sending an event the first time the app is run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

lord funk posted:

4.5.1. I think when they announced that it was better was exactly when it stopped being nice to me.

Yes this is my experience as well. I remember updating and being so happy I wouldn't have stupid auto-complete suggestions as often, and it has only gotten much, much worse.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

PT6A posted:

and submit them a bug-free product

Someday I hope to do this.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Doh004 posted:

I don't happen to be in that situation: American working for an American company selling to mostly Americans but not limited to just them.

:ohdear:

I'm an American working for American companies and have developed several apps making https requests and I've never worried about it either. I guess I just uh, assumed it was okay.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

PT6A posted:

XCode is driving me up the loving wall right now. When I'm editing one specific file, it likes to randomly jump to some completely blank area of the screen (where any scrolling will actually swap files, so I'm not sure where it's actually going). I think it has something to do with multi-line warning messages that cannot seem to be minimized (as they normally would be until you click the warning symbol).

What in the gently caress is going on here, and how do I make it stop? It's making it extremely difficult to edit that file.

I'm not having this issue but I'd like to contribute to the XCode bashing. Why the gently caress is IB randomly making my custom UIButtons rounded rect? Why XCode?

Seriously, does this only happen to me? No one else in my office seems to have this happen. I'll open a xib, not modify it, and it'll somehow be modified and the only change is now all the UIButtons are rounded rect.

:iiam:

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

stray posted:

Thanks. What you see there is the absolute limit of my "artistic" abilities. And thanks for the tip; I'll try that out.

What do people generally think about XIBs? Yea or nay? I've heard some people say it makes things easier, while others say that going without produces easier-to-maintain code.

I like setting things up in Xibs but they're basically impossible to merge and localizations are more annoying to handle.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Toady posted:

That's been in Xcode for a while. However, I recently learned you have to press enter rather than tab for code completion to learn your choice. Based on the release notes, it looks like the code completion ships with default data that returns common items first.

Really? This is why even after months of training XCode it wants me to use NSLoadedClasses instead of NSLog?

I thought it was just Apple telling me to use the god damned debugger.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Doh004 posted:

Aside from rolling my own, anyone have any suggestions for a multicolumn UITableView/Cell? It'd be cool if I didn't have to reinvent the wheel here. Thank you.

*edit* Well hello CollectionView. Haven't used this yet :ohdear:

CollectionView is probably your answer, but I've used GMGridView in the past and it has worked well.

https://github.com/gmoledina/GMGridView

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

gooby on rails posted:

Is there some secret trick to creating ad hoc provision profiles that work? I'm following all the steps and I don't get any error messages until the profile gets loaded into Xcode. Then it says "valid signing identity not found" in the Organizer and won't let me select it in the target settings. I've downloaded every file that looks obvious from the provisioning portal and none of them seem to help.

Was it setup on someone else's machine? Did they send you the signing key?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

DreadCthulhu posted:

How many provisioning profiles do you guys create? I have about 3 per app right now, one for dev, one for adhoc and one for app store. Am I doing it wrong?

I do the same.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

lmao zebong posted:

Running into kind of a strange issue here and I was wondering if somebody here could point me in the right direction.

I have a ViewController that has two separate ViewControllers that it manages. One of these views is 'hidden' behind the other view, in that it is not exposed until a button is pressed, and the foreground view moves down and shows the view in the back. The foreground view is a UIScrollView, and the background view is a UITableView.

The problem I have having is setting up accessibility for this particular screen. While the UIScrollView is in front of the UITableView, the UITableViewCells are accessible by Voice Over, which is obviously not ideal. I can easily tell the UITableView's header and footer views to setAccessibilityElementsHidden:YES, which makes them inaccessible from Voice Over while UIScrollView is in front. However for the life of me I can't get these stupid UITableViewCells to not be accessible. I can show the code I have here:

code:
- (void)disableAccessibility:(BOOL)disable
{
    if (disable) {
        for (UIView *view in self.tableView.tableHeaderView.subviews) {
            [view setAccessibilityElementsHidden:YES];
        }
        for (UITableViewCell *cell in self.tableView.visibleCells) {
            [cell setAccessibilityElementsHidden:YES];
        }
    } else { 
        for (UIView *view in self.tableView.tableHeaderView.subviews) {
            [view setAccessibilityElementsHidden:NO];
        }
        for (UITableViewCell *cell in self.tableView.visibleCells) {
            [cell setAccessibilityElementsHidden:NO];
        }
    }
}
This code lives inside the UITableViewController class. The table's View Controller is a subclass of UITableViewController, and the cells in the table view are a custom subclass of UITableViewCell. I make sure to do [self setIsAccessibilityElement:YES] when I create each cell.
I've also tried [self.tableView setAccessibilityElementsHidden:YES] but that doesn't work either.

What am I missing here? I assume I'm misunderstanding something important about the UIAccessibility Protocol.

Can you just hide the entire UITableView (self.tableView.hidden = YES) until the UIScrollView scrolls out? Could even animate its alpha in/out with the scroll view.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

lmao zebong posted:

Yep, that accomplishes exactly what I'm trying to do. Thanks for the tip, I had been doing so much accessibility stuff today I didn't even think about simply hiding the entire view, I was so focused on accessibility of the cells.

Awesome, glad it worked :) It's easy to get blinders like that when you're stuck in one thing for awhile.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Ender.uNF posted:

180 screenshots here my friend; I feel your pain and then some.

This is so frustrating. If the only thing announced at WWDC is that iTunes Connect has been made sensible it will be the best WWDC of all time.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

NoDamage posted:

There's a lot of backlash around iCloud + Core Data sync in the developer community right now. What I'm surprised by is how long it took, it's been almost two years since it was released, and basically no one has been able to ship a stable production app with it yet.

http://rms2.tumblr.com/post/46505165521/the-gathering-storm-our-travails-with-icloud-sync
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/03/frustrated-with-icloud-apples-developer-community-speaks-up-en-masse/
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/4148628/why-doesnt-icloud-just-work

NSHipster's post today was particularly great:
http://www.nshipster.com/icloud/

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Red Robin Hood posted:

If this is the wrong thread please point me in the right direction. I don't know the correct terminology so I will use Windows terms to describe my problem...

I need to create a .bat type file that continuously pings an IP address of my choice for two hours. After the two hours I need it to save that ping info to a text document and save it to the desktop title "PingResults.txt" or something similar.

Is that something that is possible? Easy?

Create a file, myscript.sh
code:
#!/usr/bin/bash
ping foo > ~/Desktop/PingResults.txt
Make it executable (chmod +x myscript.sh)

Is the 2 hour thing a hard requirement?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Red Robin Hood posted:

Not really. If they close it will it stop and then create it?

edit: additionally when I run that I get "Expected end of line, etc. but found identifier."

Weird, I don't see that message. Bash might be in a different location, like this:

code:
#!/bin/bash
ping google.com > ~/Desktop/PingResults.txt
The #! just says "hey, run this using this interpreter!" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang_(Unix))

I'm not sure that's the issue though, what exactly do you have in the script?

It will actually add the output to the file as the ping is going, so you could create a separate tab and do: cat ~/Desktop/PingResults.txt to see what is in there so far. Use control+c to kill the script when it's time to stop.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Red Robin Hood posted:

When I compile this it gives me a syntax error of: "Expected end of line, etc. but found identifier."

code:
#!/bin/bash
ping google.com > ~/Desktop/PingResults.txt

Hmm, what do you mean 'compile this'? Just doing './myscript.sh' ?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Just saw WWDC tickets are going on sale tomorrow:

https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/tickets

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

lord funk posted:

Got to disagree there. I like it.

Who else is begging their boss to make a WWDC ticket a business expense?

I actually like the logo too, but then I think the current iOS look needs drastically revamped as well.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Does anyone have experience using NUI (https://github.com/tombenner/nui) in an iOS application? It looks really neat, basically it allows for creating CSS like style sheets to quickly change the look of an application. Because I mostly use IB in development it's always such a pain for me when the shade of the predominant font in the app changes there is no single point to handle it, and NUI looks like it will make things like this far simpler.

But yeah, basically I'm wondering if using this is going to make styling things as simple as Android styles/themes, or are there headaches this is going to bring to the table I'm unaware of?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

It's just a layer over UIAppearance, so I suppose it shouldn't be too bad. At least, it should be good enough to try out IMO.

It seems a bit more useful than UIAppearance at least, UILabels for instance don't appear to be supported in UIAppearance but it looks like NUI handles them. UILabel support is what drove me away from just using UIAppearance.

edit:

Here's a kind of helpful list of what UIAppearance can handle: https://gist.github.com/mattt/5135521

Glimm fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 22, 2013

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

lord funk posted:

Thanks. Also why is this so hard to make it appear.

Not sure about this, but one thing to look out for when using UIMenuController is to be sure to use the sharedMenuController instance (http://developer.apple.com/library/...dMenuController). Bad things can happen otherwise!

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

pokeyman posted:

I don't know what all that complication is for. Your app registers someprotocol:// and your site redirects to a URL at that protocol.

I think the problem is he wants the application to point to http://hisappurl

Which does seem to be a more complicated problem than should be necessary.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

hackbunny posted:

Come on Apple :rolleyes:

Fluo rainbow is so summer 2012 :j:

I think it looks much nicer on a device than in these screenshots.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Doh004 posted:

I have a property:

@property (nonatomic) Class myClass;

This allows me to do:

thing = [[self.myClass alloc] initBlah];

That's great and all, but why can't I do:

thing = (self.myClass*)thisIsCastable;

What am I doing wrong? It says I'm missing an expression. It's been a long day :saddowns:

I'm not sure how that's done, but in the meantime could you do:

code:
objc_msgSend(thing, @selector(mySelector));
Another option would be to define a protocol and cast to id<YourProtocol>

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Doc Block posted:

Yeah, the whole "put stuff under the status bar" thing is really really stupid IMHO.

Honestly, I think Jonny Ive is a great hardware designer but completely out of his league with UI design.

I think the look is great, but yeah the execution is horrendous - especially regarding the status bar.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Hog Obituary posted:

Also in some places it looks like the ivars are accessed directly by non setter/getter functions (I know this is bad style, some of this is legacy code, I'm working to clean it up)

I don't think this is bad style? It's really more of a holy war. Certainly the ivar should be directly accessed in init. I tend to access the ivar directly from within a given class unless it's being lazily loaded in its getter. I guess given situations like that it makes sense just to use the getter all the time, except probably in init.

edit:

Sure, if you're setting the value don't use the ivar, except in init, I still don't see a problem with accessing the ivar directly.

vvv

Glimm fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 16, 2013

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

E: does modifiying layers directly count as a non-public API?

e.g.

code:

if (highlighted == TRUE)
    {
        self.layer.borderColor = [UIColor orangeColor].CGColor;
        self.layer.borderWidth = 2.0f;

}

I don't think so, but just a style note - I'd write that as:

code:

if (highlighted)  {
        self.layer.borderColor = [UIColor orangeColor].CGColor;
        self.layer.borderWidth = 2.0f;
}
The variable 'highlighted' is a BOOL so there is no need to check it against YES/TRUE. Also it's idiomatic to use YES instead of TRUE - but they are equal.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

NoDamage posted:

Is there a canonical example of the proper way to adjust a UIScrollView/UITableView/UITextView to account for the keyboard appearing? Most of the answers I've seen on StackOverflow seem to miss several use cases (examples: when the scroll view is displayed inside a form sheet on the iPad, or when the relevant controller is inside a UINavigationController with navigation controller's toolbar showing.)

I'm not sure if this hits your corner cases but I've used this in the past:

https://github.com/michaeltyson/TPKeyboardAvoiding

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Blakles posted:

Does anyone know how to have an image appear at the top of every view within a storyboard app (including appearing ABOVE the navigation bar when present)?

I am working on an app that uses storyboards and starts in a tab bar controller that connects to several view controllers and navigation controllers. Is there a way I can add a view with an image to the window and then resize everything inside the tab bar controller including the navigation bar?

I've googled this, but what few results come up are really old don't seem to work for me.

Have your initial VC be one with your image and then a container view with the tab controller embedded?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I want to edit a file in my Xcode project, but I come to find that it's completely indestructible!

I type something into it and this comes up:

and when I click unlock..

•I tried opening a text editor and pasting it into a new file and saving it over the old one, but it doesn't let me save over the old one.

•I checked the permissions in Terminal and nothing appears unusual: -rw-r--r--@

•I also cannot seem to delete the drat file!

Have you tried chowning it to your user, chmod 777 maybe?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Blakles posted:

That worked! Thanks for the simple solution.

Glad it worked ☺. Simple solutions are my favorite!

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

evilmonkeh posted:

I'm working on an iOS app, and I'm trying to use a Storyboard to achieve the following.

Each scene will have the same view controller as the background (a video feed from the camera). I'd like to put some buttons on top of the video feed that do stuff like transition to a view with a settings menu that also appears on top of the video. How can I achieve this with one 'base' view controller that remains throughout?

I think you can use a container view with a transparent background here, but I haven't tried doing something like that.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

So, Facebook released a thing:

http://facebook.github.io/origami/
https://code.facebook.com/posts/604847252884576/2013-a-year-of-open-source-at-facebook/

quote:

Origami is a free toolkit for Quartz Composer—created by the Facebook Design team—that makes interactive design prototyping easy and doesn’t require programming.

Haven't got to play with it yet but seems really cool

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Unlike Android, Apple didn't claim to not be ruthless, it didn't pretend it was superior because of a disingenuous assertion of openness

I dunno, it's pretty helpful in Android to just pull down the ListView etc. source and see how things are done sometimes. The OS itself is wide open.

Yeah, it's lovely Apple wont let the about screen mention Android - I agree with the earlier poster suggesting just changing the text after the app is approved.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

and the officially-distributed Android source (last I checked, and for a long time) doesn't even compile; you need to patch it before you can build it yourself.

This hasn't been the case in the last 2+ years that I've been building Android, I'm not sure what you mean?

Feel free to PM me as we're getting off topic

Glimm fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 3, 2014

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Volmarias posted:

That's interesting to hear, actually. Do you have a source for that?

I imagine Ender.uNF is referring to this:
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-10/21/googles-iron-grip-on-android

Search for "Locking-in manufacturers".

Basically if you're part of the Open Handset Alliance you're contractually prohibited from building non-Google approved Android devices.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

haveblue posted:

So where do Kindle Fires come from? Does Amazon just have enough clout/money that they can live outside the OHA and get someone to stick with them over the entire rest of the Android ecosystem?

Quanta Computer (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/amazon-tablet-coming-into-focus-quanta-reportedly-lands-orders/48146), and yes. They primarily make laptops though so it isn't like they lost other business.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Just a suggestion, do yourself a favor and use the improved syntax:

code:
NSDictionary *userInfo = @{@"stringObject": storedStringObject, @"numberObject": @42, @"audioObject": storedAudioObject};
NSString *foo = userInfo[@"stringObject"];
If you're going to use the old syntax, you should have sentinel 'nil' at the end of your NSDictionary.

Glimm fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Ender.uNF posted:

Methinks an upcoming Xcode feature hath been spotted:

Please tell me this means Xcode will soon fix my intendation when I surround existing code with an if statement.

Please happen. Uncrustify is kind of a pain to setup/use.