Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra
You need to specify an NSStringEncoding like 'NSUTF8StringEncoding'. Here's a list at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra

Khelmar posted:

And I thought usedEncoding meant ObjC would figure out the encoding and then return it to the enc variable (per the NSString reference).

Wow you're right, I'm dumb, sorry.

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra
Are you sure you're not recreating your cells every time? That's a huge performance hit.

Aka use "dequeueReusableCellWithIdentifier:"

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra

Echo Video posted:

Anybody going to the Seattle tech talk?
I'll be there!

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra
Do any of you use TestFlight? Their crash reporting feature looks awesome, except it doesn't support AppStore releases.

Is there a way to keep receiving crash reports? Or do you transition to something else?

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra

SheepThrowinBoy posted:

Now that I know I CAN do it, where do I go to understand WHAT I'm doing?

There are tons of little things to learn about programming in general and specific to iOS. It can be overwhelming. I'm still learning things (same with everyone else here).

It depends on you and how you learn. But you said you got a Hello world app running? That's great! Try to break it down and understand how it works. Try to come up with specific questions to Google or ask here. One day it will start clicking (or not haha).

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra

Carthag posted:

I was going to implement a source list, but it's causing XCode and the Simulator to freak out:

Google has nothing. Anyone seen this before?

Whoa that's weird. I mean that's a classic 'wrong selector' exception which I've seen too many times, but it looks like it's coming from a nib being loaded... I assume it's not reaching any of your personal code? Like some setting in Interface Builder got corrupted? 'ibIsInDesignMode' isn't something you specified, right?

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra

lord funk posted:

Welp, time to dust off the old '@2x' Photoshop script for the iPad 3. :)

Yep one more to add to the list:

Although maybe this will be the last year I'll have to support regular resolution for the iPhone/iPod? iOS 6.0 required please.

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra

McFunkerson posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what people charge for development. I have a couple of Mac Apps under my belt, and an iOS app that is getting close to release, but they have all been m y own projects. Right now I'm talking with an acquaintance of my wife's about an iPhone game they want to have made. I'm trying to get a better feel for the project, but right now I've just got some vague details (GPS notifications, in app purchases, server side development.) They have someone to cover the art and the sounds, however it "isn't going to be art heavy". They want to get this out "soon" but are still talking about deadlines and budgets. I'm setting up a phone meeting to get more details on the project next week.

My problem is, I've never done development work for anyone else and I don't really know where to start with the price. There has also been a mention of a percentage of sales. For those of you that do a lot of contract work would you rather get one fee upon completion, a percentage of sales, or a little bit of both? What's a fair rate to charge for iOS development?

You can charge $50-$200 an hour depending on how good you are (probably more but $200 is the highest I've heard someone regularly charging). I wouldn't go for a percentage of sales because odds are it's not going to make anything. Plus if you go by the hour they will be more cautious about asking you to add "just one more thing". Be sure to write everything out beforehand before you start working, including how and when you'll get paid.

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra

Hog Obituary posted:

What's the current best practice for storing user data to disk on iOS? Is it NSUserDefaults? This is not exactly "preference" data that I'm talking about (which seems like an obvious case for NSUserDefaults). This is more, app-generated data based on user action... kind of like game state, IDE workspace state, etc.

Currently I have it all in NSCoding-conforming objects that can be serialized to a file on disk, but sometimes this serializing can take longer than 10s (depending on what else the OS is doing I guess), so syncing when the app is entering background can cause the app to get killed by the system.

I can start making a separate thread that periodically syncs the data, but I'd like to avoid the added complexity if I can. (or if I should really be using NSUserDefaults for this).

One drawback of NSUserDefaults is that it won't just accept any old NSCoding-conforming objects... they have to be dictionaries, arrays, or NSDatas (which I can massage my objects into).

I'm a bit unclear on the size limits or performance concerns with NSUserDefaults.

Is it "document-like"? You could check out UIDocument. Otherwise it might be worth doing a quick overview of CoreData to see if it's applicable to your situation.

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra

Ender.uNF posted:

Anyone have experience localizing an app and trying to duplicate screenshots for all the different languages?

For almost all my views you could, in theory, just take a somewhat similar screenshot and overlay the changed text but that's a lot of photoshop. Otherwise it will take a bunch of fiddling and switching of my simulator between languages to get them done. I wish there was a demo script system that could do the work.

Cutting and pasting all the descriptions and in-app purchase stuff in iTC has been almost as much work as actual localization. Is it any surprise people don't bother?

Yeah it's tedious. What languages are you supporting? I've found it to be worthwhile though when a random non-english blog features the app because of the localization.

Hey how has your SA ad campaign been going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra
How do you all test your apps?

I've always worked on small scale apps, where I can just go through a list of actions to make sure they work for me and ship it.

How do you test out large scale apps with high-use times, where any view might get dumped from memory?

The other factor is that I'm accepting other people's code, and I'm not smart enough to have the entire app in my head to detect if a bug fix will cause some regressions.

Does anyone here have experience with automated testing methods?

How do you balance between sufficient coverage and over-kill?

This is all specific to iPhone/iPad apps. If you have a baller testing process please share!