Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Thom
May 7, 2006

By training and a hundred scientific secrets, I became what you see - a human being who lives and thrives under the water
I've been agonizing over whether to get a 21.5" iMac or a 27" iMac. The hardware isn't the stumbling block - it's the screen resolution.

In short, the 27" has enough vertical resolution for me to easily work on full-size retina mockups in PS. I've always developed and designed on a 15" MBP, and that kind of extra space seems like it could be a game changer.

So I guess my question, to those of you who currently use the 27", is this: would it be agonizing to have to do your work on the 21.5"?

I understand that it's a matter of taste. But still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Thom
May 7, 2006

By training and a hundred scientific secrets, I became what you see - a human being who lives and thrives under the water

Ender.uNF posted:

I can tell you having a 1920x1200 MBP makes doing iPad screens a much better experience since the whole thing fits onscreen at one time (with no scaling). The same applies to retina screens since they are almost the same size (why iPhone4-enabled apps don't run in retina resolution on the iPad baffles me... it would be a much nicer experience).

I would say get the 27"... you are gonna have that thing for a while, might as well get as much computer as you can.

Much appreciated. That's exactly the sort of advice I was looking for. (I suspect that being able to do full-scale mockups is the sort of advantage that goes without saying - which is why I'm finding it a little tough to articulate into a google search)

Anyway. Thanks again.

Major Thom
May 7, 2006

take boat posted:

I spent over a month coding fulltime on an 11" MBA, borrowed a 21" iMac about two weeks ago, and starting tomorrow will have a shiny new 27" on my desk.

For sure the 21" is an incredible improvement over an 11", so it's all relative -- and better code than we can make was written in a terminal. That said, the 21" isn't quite wide enough to comfortably display two editor columns in XCode, thanks to the left-most navigator column and Objective-C's inclination towards 120+ character lines. It's certainly not wide enough to edit an iPad interface in one column and a header file in the other, but I don't do that often enough to really mind. And you'll love the extra resolution if you run an iPad app in the simulator.

Can you better spend that $500 elsewhere? An iMac is a depreciating asset, but it's one you'll be working in front of for many hours, for the next few years.

Thankfully, the money isn't really an issue. It's really more of a self-restraint thing -- I don't want a comically large screen unless it's going to genuinely make it easier to organize my workspace.

That said, I've always dreamed of having a screen that was big enough to satisfy Xcode 4's need for horizontal space. Your comment about running into certain limitations on the 21.5 has probably given me the push I needed. Thanks for the advice!

Major Thom
May 7, 2006

I'm looking for a way to disable the snapshot that displays when resuming from a background state. I understand that the image is automatically created between when the home button is pressed and when the app enters the background. (Would it be possible to somehow force the thing to take a screenshot of a solid black screen?)

Just to make sure we're clear, I'm not talking about Default.png - I'm talking about the image that's displayed for a fraction of a second when an in-memory app window is expanding from the center of the home screen, just after you've tapped the icon.

This is a pretty vague question, but I appreciate any and all help.

edit: I'm thinking that adding UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend to my info.plist to just disable multitasking might be the easiest way. That could work, I guess.

edit2: Looks like the snapshot is taken right after applicationDidEnterBackground returns. So I guess that solves that. Sorry!

Major Thom fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 28, 2011