Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

usb teledildonics posted:

Please buy me toys and let me paypal you. I'll paypal you before you even go to get the punpuns.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Cromlech posted:

Just read Nijigahara Holograph. That book is absolutely filthy and ridiculously bleak but I'm pretty sure I loved the poo poo out of it. I'm going to have to read it two more times to completely wrap my head around it but christ was I impressed.

I had pretty much this exact response. I wrote a review about it and forced myself to read it a good three times before getting my thoughts to paper, and while it was still brilliant by the time I finished my third reading, I was in such a funk after reading that much bleakness that it felt like a giant weight fell off of me when I finally finished my review.

My only complaint about the translation is that the black panels with white text felt really uncomfortable as just centered text. In solanin, they progressed like panels did, and that looks like how the fan translations of Nijigahara Holograph are, too.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Cromlech posted:

Are there any other Manga authors that have a writing style similar to Asano's? I liked the horror displayed in this story but I also like the bleakness that is in every one of his other works I've read.

Hanazawa Kengo is probably the closest you get. He's also the fellow who offered to marry Asano after their sex change.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

usb teledildonics posted:

Please buy me toys and let me paypal you. I'll paypal you before you even go to get the punpuns.

This is a bit late, but if it's at all possible, I'd like to get in on this too.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Chococat posted:

I ran into this capsule machine today, right across from a children's play area at a food court.

Long shot, but I'd like to get in on the Punpun figure buying

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

He's launching a new series this month.

quote:

This year's 21st issue of Shogakukan's Big Comic Spirits magazine is announcing on Monday that Inio Asano is launching a new manga series tentatively titled Honobono no Fūfu (Tender-hearted Couple) in the next issue on April 28. The magazine describes the story as "new territory" for Asano.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-17/solanin-asano-to-launch-honobono-no-fufu-manga

And since I forgot to say anything about it after it arrived: I really liked Nijigahara Holograph.
I mean I'm going to have to re-read it like 3 or 4 more times to put it altogether, but I enjoyed the hell out of it nevertheless.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cromlech posted:

Read Solanin on a whim and loved it. I just noticed on Amazon that Nijigahara Photograph is getting a US publication and will be hardcover too, and well I'm a sucker for hardcover compilations. I know that it's extremely different from Solanin, so would I like it if I liked Solanin that much and wanted to get into his other stuff? I'm into weird/horrory stuff but I never read manga (unless its Jojos), I just watch anime if I want that stuff usually.

Solanin kinda really made me appreciate manga much more as a whole though. I feel like Punpun would be more up my alley because it seems absolutely insane but it'll be a ways off until it gets an official publication I feel.

http://www.amazon.com/Nijigahara-Holograph-Inio-Asano/dp/1606995839/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392595719&sr=1-1

Honestly, I think Nijigahara Holograph is significantly better than Solanin. Solanin is good, but it isn't quite as uniquely outstanding as a lot of his other manga.

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."
https://twitter.com/asano_inio/status/457531077116952577

Inio Asano just got a copy of Nijigahara Holograph, and I'm fairly certain he described the binding as pants peeingly good.
I'm probably going to pick up my copy this week. I'm sure its going to be as good as everything else I've read by him.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Giant Enemy Cliche posted:

https://twitter.com/asano_inio/status/457531077116952577

Inio Asano just got a copy of Nijigahara Holograph, and I'm fairly certain he described the binding as pants peeingly good.
I'm probably going to pick up my copy this week. I'm sure its going to be as good as everything else I've read by him.

Fantagraphics isn't loving around with their manga releases. Their volumes of Wandering Son are insanely nice, so Nijigahara Holograph being the of the same quality wasn't much of a surprise to me, but it's still super cool.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The binding on it is hardcore great, yes. It's a REALLY good hard cover.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
Asano posted some art for his new series. (which started)

デッドデッドデーモンズデデデデデストラクション

http://t.co/N1p3qTTS3E

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/115465

http://t.co/QZBJy9GPqi

http://t.co/yDbYBUSez1

Zackcat fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 28, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Any word what his new series is actually about?

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Zorak posted:

Any word what his new series is actually about?

all I can gather is that its about two high school girls and their relationship changes after one leaves for somewhere.

I would buy the issue if Shogakukan allowed me. If I have figured it right, the issue has been on shelves for about a day now? A few subs seem to have the issue, posted pictures.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sorry for the late reply but my bookmarks never updated. Right now its Golden Week so my desire to go for a leisurely drive out into the middle of nowhere is zero, but I can try next week. I posted that TWO MONTHS ago though so I can't guarantee that its still a punpun machine so we will see.

If you're still interested please PM me so I can keep track of you thank you! :)

Edit: I googled around and it looks like they're phone straps, the whole set looks like this.

Chococat fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 1, 2014

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Chococat posted:

Sorry for the late reply but my bookmarks never updated. Right now its Golden Week so my desire to go for a leisurely drive out into the middle of nowhere is zero, but I can try next week. I posted that TWO MONTHS ago though so I can't guarantee that its still a punpun machine so we will see.

If you're still interested please PM me so I can keep track of you thank you! :)

Edit: I googled around and it looks like they're phone straps, the whole set looks like this.

Those are cool! I have some of the special merch from the manga releases.

Speaking of Asano merch, here are some iphone cases(and textile squares) by Asano! http://store.cinra.net/static?content=asanoinio

Zackcat fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 3, 2014

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Here's his new series: Dead Dead Demons D-d-d-Destruction

It's quite the first chapter, with the first "oh poo poo" page that promises an interesting setting about halfway through.

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 18, 2014

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

It's quite the first chapter, with the first "oh poo poo" page that promises an interesting setting about halfway through.

glad its finally up! its kinda a pain to import.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I got a kick out of those Fujiko F. Fujio-style pages at the start.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
If this is the first Asano series to get an anime adaptation, It'll be just to make that title card even realer.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Next-Jin Engine posted:

If this is the first Asano series to get an anime adaptation, It'll be just to make that title card even realer.
that seems likely since he's into moe now

http://mangabrog.wordpress.com/2014/07/06/inio-asano-interview-reality-is-tough-so-read-this-manga-about-cute-girls-and-feel-better/

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

pfff, yeah right.

you wont trick me this time asano, i know drat well youre gonna crush us all with desolation and despair in this comic about cute girls doing cute things

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
New Dead Dead Duh Duh

I love the subtle world building, I had to go back and check how old the girls were supposed to be when I realized one of them was doing the driving like it ain't no thang

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

You know, whenever I see this cult stuff come up in something, it makes me want to vomit.

I assume that's what's up with the mum, anyway.

One thing I liked: this little scene.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/258080/dead-dead-demons-de-dedede-destruction_ch3_by_world-three/11
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/258080/dead-dead-demons-de-dedede-destruction_ch3_by_world-three/12

You see the mum losing her poo poo, and you think, what the gently caress is up with this woman? Why is she so goddamn crazy? And we pull back, and you see the spaceship just hanging there. Weighing down on everything.

Cute girls doing cute things? Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure, Asano.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Weird question: I thought the consensus was that Inio wasn't actually Trans* and that was some stuff some peeps misinterpreted from an interview. Anybody know the up's and down's on this? I know he's specified male pronouns officially.

I'd like to avoid looking like an idiot as I recommend their work to people.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Here ya go

a kitten posted:

Regarding Asano's gender identity, there was apparently something of an edit war about it on Wiki, and finally Fantagraphics' translator for both Nijigahara Holograph and Wandering Son just decided to ask:

quote:

quote:

So ask him I did, this time very publicly, rather than through an intermediary using e-mail. And here is his response. 

@matt_a_thorn_en 報告ありがとうございます!ちらっと話には聞いていたのですが、そんな問題になっているとは…。僕の場合、表記はhe/himでお願いします! 

— 浅野いにお (@asano_inio) 2014, 2月 22 

And here’s my translation of his response: 

Thank you for the report! I had heard a bit about this, but never imagined it had become such an issue. In my case, please use he/him!

There's a whole hell of a lot more about it at Thorn's blog, including the interview that started the whole thing, which anyone who's interested in can find on his site here and entries both before and after that one.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awesome, thanks a million!

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
A few more chapters of d-d-demons: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/260514/dead-dead-demons-de-dedede-destruction_ch4_by_world-three

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
I refuse to believe this is going to be cute. I'm just starting on the first chapter and maybe it's residual from Inio Asano being Inio Asano but I only feel dread coming from this.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

New chapter(s) of Dead Dead Demon dddddestruction
Chapter 7
Chapter 8

Liking it a lot so far, although I wish the scans were better. Then again I'd rather read it as it comes out than wait for the collected versions.
Or for an English release. :pray:

edit: next chapter in October. That's terrible news.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 10, 2014

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
That's true strength

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Terrible goon man is Asano's best character yet

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
God, it's going to be insanely depressing once it's revealed what the aliens are doing, isn't it? I was kind of hoping that the aliens were just going to be stage dressing but they're probably going to wind up important, and it's going to really suck.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

Terrible goon man is Asano's best character yet
A majestic creature.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Look at that neck. He's got a neckbeard made of fat. That's Art.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sindai posted:

Look at that neck. He's got a neckbeard made of fat. That's Art.
It's seriously starting to worry me. This isn't human!!!

Is Inio Asano adapting Slither??

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
the deformed tv people are great too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vesi fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 11, 2014

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

I would say they are all aliens but it seems too obvious.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Chapter 9! of a manga so fun you won't stop laughing: Isobeyan DDD's DDDD

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I like how the twin-tails girl is always making stupid spacey faces and drooling, it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
There's been 5 new chapters of dddddddd since the last post, in case you were wondering.

• Locked thread