Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

coolusername posted:

I’m having a pretty rough year, and this thread comes highly recommended by some regulars for the free serotonin of mail deliveries. Plus, I have easily fifty nice art print post cards that have just been sitting in my shelf for years. So me and my kangaroo stamps would like to join in if there’s room on the list for a long-long-long distance Aussie?

(edited out in case you do the same)

E; o rite, my bday is November (actually falls on Halloween for Americans), and I like cats, cute stationery, international postcards and basically anything!

Hah, October / November is when I do the annual birthday cards so you are in luck!
Glad to have you here, I'll send something out in a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Thank you Zoesdare and Meatglitter for your letters!

My wife is getting more and more "I should start sending cards to the internet, receiving mail looks like so much fun." and then I have to remind her that I spend no time on insta or facebook but write letters instead. This is enough of a deterrent, maybe she is ready for it in another few years?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I got lots of goonmail in Feb: Subjunctive, Lamb, rear end-penny, Zoersdare and Coolusername. The coming week I'll start answering mail, I am a bit behind thanks to starting a new position and that is always exhausting. Fun fact: my replies go to at least three continents.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Oh no, Meat Glitter! Your letter was returned!

Our local postal service also had some trouble with deciphering what was my address and what was the return address, there were a lot of additional stickers and scribbles on the envelope. I'd recommend to put the return address on the back flap of the envelope, Zazzle.com has really nice and affordable return address stickers.

It could also have been that the mailpeople just wanted to fondle the beautiful envelope some more, it looked really nice!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lamb posted:

Keetron, thank you for the balls! I legit laughed when I saw the label. I've planted them around my front lawn. I will report back as to the wildlife they attract.

Happy to hear you liked my balls and humor, I was slightly worried customs would be offended, those people can be enigmatic.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I received a postcard from Zoesdare and am way behind replying to everyone.

Ravenicus posted:

If anyone wants to send some letters, you could maybe even send them here. (No NSW)
You got it, buddy!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

This week I received goonmail from Kafka's Goldfish and Goons Are Great and oh my are goons stepping up their game these past few months!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Genesplicer posted:

I have not thanked all of the goons who have been sending me and Mrs. Genesplicer letters and cards. Despite the fact that we have not acknowledged them until now, we really do appreciate them and Mrs. Genesplicer tells me "You really need to write some cards in return!" And, of course, I agree with her, and I never seem to get around to it, mainly because I am a horrible person right now. Hopefully when Summer Break begins, I will have some time to devote to actually returning the favors so many of you have done.

Thanks for the cards!

If it makes you feel better, I can address the cards I send you once in a while to only Mrs Genesplicer?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Thank you Subjunctive for the card! Summer period is always slow with mail so these are like little gems.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

They’re gonna be framed and put up on the wall.

Something I consider the biggest honor and compliment one can get for their scribbles.

Upon returning from my holidays, cards were on my doormat (and on my desk): Thank you Poo in an Alleyway for the card, Kafka's Goldfish for the next level letter / artwork, coolusername for the letter and stickers, Zoesdare for the letter art and stickers.
I am a bit behind with in depth replying but will pick that up soon again when the weather cools off again. I hope you all can forgive me.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

barclayed posted:

hello! my name is clay. recent addition to somethingawful. my interests are music (i'm a music major, send your condolences if you'd like) and video games(??) i like postcards and the like. i will be sending watercolor/colored pencil postcards/regular cards in return.

thanks!

Hi Clay, welcome to the thread!
Is your address complete, it seems to be missing a POBox number? Or will they find you by name?

The card I got from Team Lunch is a print quality drawing of a Gible, thank you so much!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Pershing, are you ok? I received a return to sender reporting your PO box was not available.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sharizard, thank you for the card!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Thank you for the card, Barclayed! It made it here fine.

Hah, I kept the stuff that was returned to me and will just push it into an envelope and send it again.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

So last Wednesday (today is Sunday), I received a letter send on the 25th from California, it took about a week. The yesterday I received a letter from Florida, the side closer to Europe, and it was send the 20th and thus took over two weeks. Interesting!

I also got mail from lamb, my aunt, pixelante, barclayed, Mr and Mrs Genesplicer and Zoesdare.

This weekend was recovery weekend, I played stardew valley and made sure the kids were fed and that was about it. Oh, we did two jigsaws as a family.
Anyway, letter writing will resume the coming week, keep an eye on your mailbox y'all.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Thank you Subjunctive for the card, lovely stamps indeed!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

barclayed posted:

i did not realize PO boxes would be so expensive what the gently caress. how do y'all do this.

I just give my home address and spend that money on nice pens and paper.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

280 per year for me, plus another 200 if I want the mail to be forwarded to my house.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

After the kids move out, Germany is on my shortlist of countries that we consider moving to. South Germany that is, Munich area.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

barclayed posted:

wait i just processed this

why would you want your mail to be forwarded to your house?? isn't that the point of a PO box?? unless it's just to preserve privacy from the people addressing poo poo

A P.O. Box would only be about privacy as the mail person can find my house just fine. And not having to change my address when I move. Also, my laziness knows no bounds, why go to the post office when they can deliver to my house? I mean, spending a lot or a lot more is by that point moot.

So anyway, I gave goons my address, only good things have happened. I’m writing you a letter so please let me know what to write on the envelope.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Let me check the pile tomorrow, I do not thank everyone in the thread and mostly do it to keep the thread alive and to let it be known I am still active and should not be taken off the list... drat, that sounds pretty selfish...

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Grinches are Glowing posted:

I sent out a number of letters a while ago but they all seem to be lost by now. :smith:
I wonder if I screwed something up in general

Ok, I checked and I cannot find anything from you but my record keeping only extends to the letters I did not yet answer.
Did you get the card I send out last week? Maybe we can trace it back to your local Postal office?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Thank you Lamb for the Christmas card, tree ornament and sticker!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

More mail arrived from Tree Bucket, Anistide, my aunt and Zoesdare!

Thank you all, I hope we can keep this weird thread and group going. The lady who sells me stamps was all like "omg, more people should do this!" and you can guess what followed ;-)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Goatse and Gallant posted:

I sent out a whole bunch of letters over the past few days! I hope they make it through this time, I included a ton of art I made.

I got your envelope full of pigments, thank you!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Unless my new stamps are also failing, in which case I'm going to cry like a baby. :cry:

The letter you send me had a stamp attached. When checking how well it was attached, I could pull it loose really easy and it hung on by a corner. You could try stapling them on, I am sure the mail people will love that.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Turns out, goon mail is a dangerous hobby, keep your friends close, but your stamps closer!

Stamp report on your mail that arrived yesterday: sticking firmly to the envelope.

Lamb, I got a return to sender from DLAO, undeliverable as addressed and I don't think I screwed up the writing.

edit: and another return from Bulletsponge13 with the mention "Vacant"

Keetron fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 13, 2023

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I got a mail from Zed and Lamb! Thank you, I really appreciate receiving snail mail.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

e: nvm

Keetron fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 3, 2023

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Will ya'll believe I am fully caught up with replying to all mail I received? Honestly, if you want to receive goonmail, all you have to do is send out things and not expect a reply. You'll be pleasantly surprised every time something lands on your doormat.

For Winter Solstice cards I have something special planned, I hope to get it out in December but everyone on the excel sheet should expect at least one card incoming.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

rear end-penny posted:

I know in my last post I said I was going to write soon and I haven't. This summer was a rollercoaster emotionally and I have been, perhaps, more sad than is really warranted. I have not been a good pen pal. But I'm going to try and write all of you lovely goons just as soon as I can muster that. I appreciate y'all.

This is to many people in this thread (and myself a bit).

I am pretty sure I wrote it in a letter recently but I'd like to say that I write people letters and postcards because it makes me feel good and hope the other feels good as well when receiving something. That is it, that is the exchange. In no way or form do I write people letters and postcards to make them feel bad, pretty sure many others regulars in this thread agree. Please remember that.

And: 2023 is a poo poo year for many people, I hear it a lot around me and I am including myself, not sure what is up and honestly I'd rather not think about it too much just know you are not alone. In the long list of Thing To Do To Keep Life On The Rails, sending snail mail to strangers from the internet should be really low. Enjoy the receiving and when you happen to have energy and money to spare after doing all the other things you have on the list, think again and THEN, when you still feel like it, send us some stuff. But no feeling bad about mail, that is prohibited by Goon Law.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I'm glad that my username brings such joy to people just by me posting Christmas cards.

Oh no worries, I enjoy writing to you each time too!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Over the past few months I received a ton of mail and if you send me something and I did not respond yet, I am absolutely on it, November was a low point but things are improving.

One piece of mail I received was a postcard with a backwards novel seen backwards and on the other side was drawn a plant and my address, nothing else. The stamp is from Canada and the handwriting looks familiar but I am one of those people who throws out envelopes received so I have no comparing.
The biggest puzzle that I am trying to solve is: was there sender written down on purpose?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Yes, double post.

Goons, who of you send me the letter where you told me of doing watercolor on scrap paper? Can you DM me please? I misplaced / lost your writing so I am unsure who to send a reply to.

Another thing, I have been shuffling and moving some furniture out of the house and I found one drawer full of goon art I received over the years. You all are an amazing bunch, never change!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Science proves it, those who write are training their brains!
https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/psychology/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2023.1219945/full

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

kafkasgoldfish posted:

I always read it as "POO! In an alleyway" -- my brain shouts it, like a warning or shock of discovery.

Hah, I always read it as a command: "Go! Poo in an alleyway! Make it quick!"

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I received a wonderful letter from Nondevor and many others over the past few months. Way behind on replying but know it is coming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I received mail from rear end-penny, lamb and kafka’s goldfish. More personal replies are in the works.