Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

Do you love spreading cheer all year long? Are you perhaps looking for a pen pal? Want to do your part to keep the USPS solvent? Well, you’ve come to the right place.

If you had fun with previous card exchanges, you already know what to do. If you missed out on those, join us now! We always welcome newcomers!

FAQ

How does it work?
Post your address (including your country) in this thread and people will send you mail. That’s all there is to it!

If you like, put some info about yourself in your post so the craftier goons among us can customize something for you. Also, it’s probably a good idea to specify “No NWS” if you want to be sure you don’t receive pictures of dongs on your envelope.

How do I know which of the addresses in the thread are still current?
An easy to print list of current addresses lives here: http://sideolamb.squarespace.com/goonstuff/. PM me, or shoot me an email through the site for the password.

As long as you post periodically in the thread, your name and address will stay on the list and hopefully you will get mail.

What should I send?
Anything you like. Dollar store cards work well, as do postcards from your home town. Some of my favorites I’ve received have been handmade cards like this one and this one.

Is this only for big holidays?
Not at all. Goonmail never sleeps! We’re celebrating everything up in here, from Christmas down to Rachel Maddow’s birthday. Speaking of birthdays, if yours is coming up and you want a card, feel free to ask.

Can I send out more than one card?
You sure can! Send as many as you want.

How do I pick who to send to?
Some people send to the people on the same page as they’ve posted in, some send to only overseas goons, and some crazy people send to everyone who posts.

Do I have to send anything to get something back?
No, although it would be nice [/guilt trip]

What do I do once I get mail?
You don’t have to do anything, per se, but it’s nice to post a thank you so they know the mail reached you. Posting pictures of your swag is great, because everyone loves seeing the nifty stuff that goons send.

What if I move or don’t want mail any more?
Edit your address out of your post, and PM me so I can take you off of the list immediately. Otherwise, if you haven’t posted in the thread in the last two months or so, you’ll be dropped off of the list as I have time to go through and purge.

I used to be on the list, but now I'm not. Can I get back on?
Absolutely, just ask.

What if I registered yesterday? Can I play?
Sure!

Is it safe to post my address on the internet?
I make no guarantees, but I’ve sent and received over 1,000 (yes, 1,000) pieces of goonmail and haven’t had a problem. If you’re really paranoid, you could rent a PO Box for very little money.

How much does it cost to mail letters to Nebraska/Canada/Sri Lanka/etc.?
If you are in the U.S. this link can help: http://postcalc.usps.gov/

Again, an easy to print list of current addresses in html and excel format lives here: An easy to print list of current addresses lives here: http://sideolamb.squarespace.com/goonstuff/. PM me, or shoot me an email through the site for the password.

Any other questions, just ask.

lamb fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Slide Rule posted:

Goodies went out to lamb and Bash Ironfist today. When worlds collide will take a bit longer (that is a lot of stamps to Canada!)

Sweet...it starts already! Today I got an early Easter card from Mizufusion with an awesome hybrid lamb/bee creature:

Thank you so much for the recipe, my kids love pancakes.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

I just learned today that April is National Card and Letter Writing Month. I better step up my game!

FYI, For all of you who like to go sticker crazy on your cards, Sticko/Jolee's online has a 20% off sale going through today with code NOFOOLIN.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

My day was brightened immensely by Slide Rule, when I received this fabulous handmade card

with a cool Hard Rock Cafe Pin and a slightly disturbing piece of information about her cat's feelings for me in magnet form

My job is slowing down, so get ready for some Easter lovin', people. I apologize in advance for the rain of Bieber about to fall upon you all, but they had so many stickers at Five Below, I was powerless to resist.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Hypothetical Mcgee posted:

Don't die, potentially awesome thread!

Thread will not die!

I sent out a bunch of Easter Bieber cards yesterday. I think I've used up all of my Bieber stuff. I'll have to find something new to send. Hmmmm, what's Miley Cyrus up to these days?

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Unexpected Road posted:

I got a letter from lamb today! Thanks for the foam stickers and the, um, poo word search! :neckbeard:

Our letters must have crossed in the mail, because I got yours yesterday!

The OP and address list is up to date as of today:
http://side-o-lamb.com/goonlist.html

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

when worlds collide posted:

I've got a few envelopes I'm finishing up today or tomorrow. I have a question for lamb though, I want to print out the address list but I have to do it through Staples because I don't have a printer. I tried saving the document as a text file and it killed all the formatting, and I don't think Staples will let me queue an html file for printing. Is there another format that you have on hand (spreadsheet maybe) that you can give me?

I put a spreadsheet version here:

side-o-lamb.com/goonlist.xls

The html version is also up to date: http://side-o-lamb.com/goonlist.html

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Keetron posted:

No requests? Or is this thread dead at the time I arrived?

The thread isn't dead, this is just a slow time of year I think. I'd be happy to get anything on a postcard. I have some summer/Fourth of July stuff getting ready to go, I'm just getting back from vacation so it's taking me a little time to get into the groove.

Geolicious, if your address is the same I will still send to you. The point of the thread is just to spread goon love. I really don't expect to get anything, what I do receive is icing on the cake.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

I am just getting over a norovirus (if you've never had one, boy howdy is it terrible), and while I was sick I received the following pieces of mail that really made my day:

A handmade postcard from Keetron and a DinoWorld card from Nothing_specific & Mr. Manstration. My son loves dinosaurs, and has claimed the postcard for himself.

An envelope containing a bunch of awesome from Team Lunch

The word search is made up of names of the goons in this thread! I am wearing the "I <3 Justin" bracelet without irony.

I've updated the address list, and have a bunch of envelopes getting ready to go out soon.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Hello all!

I'm just dropping in to say thank you to Slime Sanction, who sent me a lovely homemade card, bookmark and picture

and to Genesplicer who sent me some great stuff, best of all a secret message pen! (By the way I completely agree with your secret message. Did you draw that yourself? Creepy.)

genesplicer posted:

I got another nice pack from Lamb,too! I love the scratch-off cards. They are a lot of fun!

Lamb, where did you get those?

I got them from Chronicle books. They have a few different kinds.

I've updated the address list, so get to it everyone!

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

I was having an absolutely poo poo day today, and then this arrived:

Thanks Team Lunch! Your Bieber-bot made my day.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

thepitgoddess posted:

Is it too late to sign up?

Nope!

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

I updated the list today to include new posters, and to remove anyone who hasn't posted since before June. If I've removed your address and you'd still like to be on it, let me know: http://side-o-lamb.com/goonlist.html.

Get ready for some Halloween crap!

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Apkallu posted:

That's exactly what I said the other day - I'm going to spend my crappy shift tomorrow addressing envelopes finally. Sorry about the delay, but could I be put back on the list?

Of course. I'll add you back on Monday.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

I too have been a terrible poster. Thanks to everyone who sent stuff, and I hope to be returning the favor soon. (I have plans. They involve potatoes.) Can I be put back on the list please?

Done! List is up to date.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Yay! I'm so glad everyone is getting their envelopes!

Team Lunch and Palette Swap, I received your wonderful envelopes full of great stuff.

I need to post pics, which I promise to do soon, but in the meantime, thank you!

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

I have a lot of "Thank You"s due. Please excuse the crappy picture quality.

Palette Swap sent me some great stuff a while ago, The envelope was open when I received it, hopefully nothing fell out before it got to me :ohdear:

l337haxxorpirate sent me a nice postcard, and 13pandora13 sent me some beautiful photos of flowers from her parents' house

Miz Kriss sent this adorable lamb card, and this postcard came from DeYoung

Then, I got this package, also from DeYoung! The USPS cares, in case anyone was wondering. They just don't care enough to not destroy my mail.

My older son truly enjoyed the comic and the coloring book. I'm glad he can't really read yet, because I would have a hard time explaining what "you're hosed" means. :) He was really mad because I wouldn't let him have the DeLorean, but too bad for him because there was a place for it on my desk at work next to my Matchbox 1967 Impala.

Dr. Pancakes made this wonderful pop-up card for me

genesplicer sent me this card with a secret message and glow-in-the-dark glitter

and finally, the always awesome Team Lunch sent me the creepiest card ever

I've begun accumulating Xmas crap, so get ready! The first post and the address list are up-to-date as of today.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Spadoink posted:

I think maybe the Christmas card exchange should get its own thread. I know previous years people are still adding their addresses up into the double digit pages - and for folks that are adding their addresses here, on page 6 or 7, very little holiday mail may come your way if the people have to backslog to where the "in for Christmas" folks begin.

Just a thought.

I think we should be OK with this one - I update the address list in the first post to drop off the people who haven't posted in the thread for more than two months or so (right now it includes people who have posted since October), so the only ones on there should be people who want Thanksgiving/Xmas mail.

http://side-o-lamb.com/goonlist.html

Or, for those who prefer excel spreadsheets: http://side-o-lamb.com/goonlist.xls

lamb fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 10, 2011

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

13Pandora13 posted:

I could use some mail. I always reply and I just broke up with my boyfriend and am feeling unexpectedly lovely about it. :smith:

:glomp: Ask and ye shall receive

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Niemat posted:

The url list on my screen cuts off after "Chad Vader"... Is anyone else having this problem? :ohdear:

That being said, I am one of those who prefer excel spreadsheets, so THANKS FOR THE EXCEL SPREADSHEET! :D

Refresh the page and try again? If it still doesn't work I can email it to you.

lamb fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 10, 2011

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Look at what they had at Target today in the dollar section!

All I'm going to say is, you all are lucky I've already loaded up on tchotchkes to send, otherwise it would be a very Bieber Christmas.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

I got an envelope from Zombiesharks today with a cool Simpsons poster, some mini card games, a rhinoceros, candy and Thanksgiving goodies. Thanks! I gave my son the turkey stickers - he wore them on his face to school. I tried to explain that was not the intended use. He did not care.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

nonpromqueen posted:

So is this going to be the christmas card thread?

It seems so! I have cards addressed to about half of the goons on the list so far, but I refuse to send any of them until after Thanksgiving. Back in my day we didn't have this decorating for Christmas right after Halloween. We waited to celebrate, dagnabbit (I know there's an emoticon of an old man shaking his fist but I couldn't find it).

Pay me no mind though mysa09. It's never too early to send stuff :)

lamb fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 16, 2011

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

GuardianOMS posted:

But wasn't there a secret Santa thread?

There sure is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447717

I know everyone will get at least one piece of mail - I send to everyone who posts their address, and I know there are a few other goons who do as well.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

BigStu posted:

Should I just assume that everyone from the begining of the thread is still interested in getting something? I'll post my address oer the weekend once I get some stuff ready to mail out. Please excuse my handwriting in advance.

What Keetron said is correct. I update the list periodically to drop off people who haven't posted in the last two months or so. Right now, the list includes people who have posted from October on, when we started talking about sending Christmas cards. I won't purge any addresses until after the new year.

LyonsLions posted:

You can actually use any stamps as long as they add up to the correct postage. The USPS website has a handy calculator: http://postcalc.usps.gov/

Thanks, I've added this to the OP.

List is up to date: http://side-o-lamb.com/goonlist.html

Or, for those who prefer excel spreadsheets: http://side-o-lamb.com/goonlist.xls

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

I got some great mail from Mizufusion, Bushwhacked, 13Pandora13, Unexpected Road, wildlife atlas, psychogirl and mysa. Pics coming soon, in the meantime, thanks so much!

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Hemlock posted:

An important side note/callout – this year I’ve stayed away from SA a bit while I was finishing my degree, and I definitely got at least two bits of unexpected goon mail during my self-imposed ban (one was definitely a St Patrick’s Day card). I was seriously thrilled to get them and had them up in my room until I moved back home, when I packed them up to make sure I got around to replying when things calmed down. It’s been a manic summer though and to my shame I still haven’t done it, and now I’m away from home and I can’t remember who I owe mail to. So if you’ve sent me something I haven’t replied to pleeease let me know so I can make sure you get a Christmas card! And also massively sorry that I didn’t say a big thank you sooner- your sendings really cheered me up during a stressful time!

I'm pretty sure that was me - was it a postcard with some extra-handsome men from the 70's on it?

As of today, the list is up to date: http://side-o-lamb.com/goonlist.html

I will be away in fabulous Las Vegas for a few days, so any new addresses after today will be added next Monday.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

I returned from vacation to find a plethora of goonmail, which truly lessened the pain of losing all of my money in Vegas. In no particular order:

mysa09, 13Pandora13 and wildlife atlas

Two cards from Mizufusion, plus Unexpected Road, Psychogirl and Bushwhacked

Encephalopathy and Rufus en Fuego

cuntvalet, Niemat and party hat

As of today, the list is up to date: http://side-o-lamb.com/goonlist.html

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

cardboardRobot posted:

Lamb you are amazing. I have no idea how you manage to keep sending out so much mail but it really has made my day every time I've received something. Thank you so much!

You're welcome guys! I'm trying to do my part to keep the post office solvent :)

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Mizufusion posted:

I wrote down the names of all the goons I sent cards to because I'm paranoid about this. :ohdearsass:

That's why I made a spreadsheet version... I got paranoid that I would send people the same stuff all the time.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

topenga posted:

Yeah, lamb! Open the envelope and BOOM, Black Santa. I never see that. Thanks! :)

I found those cards last year after Christmas for a dollar in the clearance bin at Hallmark. I got a very odd look from the cashier when I bought them.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

DevilCat posted:

Dan Lacey, The Painter of Pancakes
10381 Windrose Curve
Elko, MN 55020

I will be honored to send you this card in return

I love this. You are responsible for this amazing piece of art? I saw it earlier on a "caption this" post on one of my favorite blogs.

---

List is up to date: http://side-o-lamb.com/goonlist.html

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Thermophonic Joy posted:

Thank you for the list! That really helps.

I gotta point out that my address is incorrect on there. I'm 1905A Davie street.

Crap. I'll fix it first thing tomorrow. I think I sent yours this morning... I hope it gets to you :ohdear:

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Thermophonic Joy posted:

Don't worry about it! Though, I'm not sure it will get to me. I'm thinking of tracking down my neighbour at 1904 and explaining that I WANT MY GOONMAIL!

Do you guys think I should I do this? Or would that just be too weird. I guess I could bring my I.D. so they don't think I'm a crazed mail-stealer.

I was able to catch it before the mailman came in the morning, it was still in the out bin.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Making cards! Hopefully they will actually get there before Christmas.

Also I made one that's vaguely horrible and not at all christmasy. I don't want to send it in reply to someone who sent me a nice card. Anyone want a creepy one?

ME

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Unexpected Road posted:

I am so late mailing cards this year, its pathetic. I'm so sorry guys :ohdearsass: All of my free-time has been devoted to looking for a new job, as Florida hates its teachers and the arts program at my school is being cut.

Regardless, 20 cards are being posted today, and more tomorrow, dammit.

Thanks to IMJack for the cute card :3: my boyfriend tried to steal it. Also, lamb you have the best cards and they ever fail to brighten my whole day.

Thanks =)

My cousin and aunt are teachers in Tampa, so I (by extension) feel your pain. My grandma, who is by all means an upstanding old Catholic lady who never uses a bad word, calls Rick Scott a "scumbag".

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

My camera took a dump just in time for Christmas (yay), but I wanted to make sure to thank (in no particular order):

Crazy Old Clarice, Garbage Day, molten llama, IMJack, Vixenella & Alkaphanel, Andaley, Tinydryad, Drei, Miz Kriss, Hypothetical Mcgee, Aunt Buck, Smenkhara, LyonsLions, WWC, 13Pandora13, MurderCity, thepitgoddess, genesplicer, pillorysoft, meriruka and Hemlock

The care that all of you put into your letters makes me feel like a real turd for not being able to show them to the world. I sent out a last few cards today, so some of you will probably receive some post-Christmas residual cheer.

For those who care to continue on over the holiday break, I have updated the list.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Rickycat posted:

I take it this is over? :smith:

I was going to take an informal poll after New Year's as to whether or not to start a new one, but this thread has survived almost a year so far, so I think we can just continue on.

Activity does slow down in between big holidays, but I (and quite a few other goons) enjoy sending mail all year. I for one plan to begin preparations for my Valentine's Day mail very soon.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Thermophonic Joy posted:

I've been reading through some of the earlier pages of this thread, and I have to say... I hope Lamb gets my card 'cause I want her to mail me back one of those awesome packages of goonlove I've seen you guys get from her. I know, that's terrible, but her mail looks so awesome!! :ohdear:

I have a pile of mail to go through once I get back to work on Tuesday (and I do mean a PILE), it's very likely I got your card. I sent you one a while ago....I guess the mail fairy ate it :ohdear:

Don't worry, I'll hook you up for Valentine's Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

Happy almost 2012, everybody! I've gone ahead and updated the first post, and as a heads up, when I get back to work next week I'm going to purge the list of anyone who hasn't posted in the last 2 weeks or so, to make sure the list includes only people who still want mail. If you'd like to continue on, and you haven't posted as such, just PM me.