Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Time for some :siren:INCREDIBLY BAD ART:siren:

Wolverine v3, #61. Howard Chaykin. drat, Howard.

Oh god, look at Surfer's head/obliques/everything:

I have no idea who this is, obviously 90s:

Kelley Jones:

Another Silver Surfer, Tom Grindberg:

Addendum - I love this site because it shows how lazy an artist Greg Land is.
http://jimsmashextended.blogspot.com/2008/07/greg-land-tracing-swiping-recycling.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Pacra posted:

Kelley Jones:

That first one is standard Sam Keith--looks good to me.

Also, Kelley Jones' Batman is the best Batman (especially the capes--his capes are luxurious). I'm surprised you went with that cover since as far as Jones' art goes, that one's pretty danged straightforward. His cover work during that whole period is pretty great.

I will say that I love 99% of his work (his long run on monthly Batman is amazing), but I still can't figure out the anatomy on the Red Rain cover:

Ah well, there had to be at least one misfire. Both Sam Keith and K. Jones do some pretty stylized work, but they also both know exactly what they're doing.

Chaykin just ruins everything he touches, though.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 5, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

Chaykin just ruins everything he touches, though.

And yet he was one of the best artists working in the mid-to-late '80s, with his own American Flagg! series.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pacra posted:

I have never seen this cover before, but it's definitely Sam Keith, and it's definitely loving amazing. redbackground kinda beat me to it, but drat, that's one of the coolest drawings of Nightcrawler I've ever seen. Reminds me almost of Ralph Bakshi's "Wizards."

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Pacra posted:

I dunno, I can see the reasoning behind "Can only draw one face"

The Authority was one of the comics a friend introduced to me that got me back into comics. The art changes have always seemed horrible and I agree completely with the "one face."

I almost couldn't believe it when this artistic change happened in the middle of an arc.

The Boys #12 Illustrated by: Darick Roberston

Dark and moody, I like this art with the series

The Boys #13 Illustrated by: Peter Snejbjerg

All I could think of were Muppets. Cartoony and completely opposite the grittier earlier style. Almost ruined the comic in my mind.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Pacra posted:

http://jimsmashextended.blogspot.com/2008/07/greg-land-tracing-swiping-recycling.html

Most of these are pretty drat egregious, but I kinda get the impression that the blog author considers using a photo reference (as opposed to a straight up trace), as a concept is cheating somehow.

Like this one

I don't really see the problem with doing.

I don't really think there's a problem with using photo references (in fact it's a pretty drat good idea in comics, since it helps avoid non-euclidean anatomy, given the time constraints involved), or even tracing in-and-of itself. Land's problem is that he's doesn't really bother getting his sources to fit with each other, and traces other artist's work.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

redbackground posted:

Also, Kelley Jones' Batman is the best Batman (especially the capes--his capes are luxurious).

I posted Kelley Jones because he seems to think that every muscled person has rib-abs and those rib-abs have abs of their own, etc. ;)

I agree, there's absolutely nothing wrong with photo referencing, especially in comics where you have some stressful deadlines. Greg Land just takes it to a whole other I-don't-give-a-gently caress level :(

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Pacra posted:

I remember a Goon on here posting about attending ComiCon, I think, and after getting some books signed at a table he wondered aloud "Now, where's Greg Land's table." The artist sitting there said "Why? You want to borrow some reference material? Maybe use his traveling light table?"

Lars Blitzer fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 5, 2011

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Humboldt squid posted:

Most of these are pretty drat egregious, but I kinda get the impression that the blog author considers using a photo reference (as opposed to a straight up trace), as a concept is cheating somehow.

Like this one

I don't really see the problem with doing.

I don't really think there's a problem with using photo references (in fact it's a pretty drat good idea in comics, since it helps avoid non-euclidean anatomy, given the time constraints involved), or even tracing in-and-of itself. Land's problem is that he's doesn't really bother getting his sources to fit with each other, and traces other artist's work.
Cameron Stewart has a great post here about how he uses photo reference. He'll trace photos to get the feel of a scene, but the final drawing is more removed from the photo. What I like about him doing that is that there are some touches in the drawing but not the photo, and it makes the drawing more interesting and emotive. Talking about the eyebrow being more visible in the drawing in CS's post, or the way the bricks on the ground frame the character more then they distract.

Kleptocracy
Feb 18, 2011

FABRICATI DIEM PVNC

Pacra posted:

I keep seeing it like Bats has a big red perm.

Meanwhile, I'm not very familiar with Richard Corben's art, but his work on Hellblazer just annoys the hell out of me. Everybody have those big fleshy heads on children's bodies:

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Kleptocracy posted:

Meanwhile, I'm not very familiar with Richard Corben's art, but his work on Hellblazer just annoys the hell out of me. Everybody have those big fleshy heads on children's bodies:

Corben's people can be a bit funky looking but he's second to none when it comes to illustrating horror books. He's a master of the grotesque. His work on Hellboy is brilliant.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The reason I like stuff by Jones and Kieth is they set up a great atmosphere and mood with their work. Reading Jones run on Batman was like watching a 1920's German Expressionism film about Batman. The thing that seperates them from someone like Liefeld is that they purposely distort and rearrange anatomy and setting to give the comic a certain field, and someone like Liefeld is just a lovely artist.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Madkal posted:

The reason I like stuff by Jones and Kieth is they set up a great atmosphere and mood with their work. Reading Jones run on Batman was like watching a 1920's German Expressionism film about Batman. The thing that seperates them from someone like Liefeld is that they purposely distort and rearrange anatomy and setting to give the comic a certain field, and someone like Liefeld is just a lovely artist.

Another way to put it is the old adage, "One must understand the rules before one can break them." Keith understands them, Liefeld does not.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Shameless posted:

Corben's people can be a bit funky looking but he's second to none when it comes to illustrating horror books. He's a master of the grotesque. His work on Hellboy is brilliant.

Yeah, I was going to defend him solely because of Hellboy. His people can look pretty weird, but I think it works really well for Hellboy because he's weird-looking by default, and you're used to him being weird-looking. So the only real 'normal'-looking guy in his stories is the huge red demon main character.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Pacra posted:

Wolverine v3, #61. Howard Chaykin. drat, Howard.

Whoa, that's incredible. He did not take a second to look back and say, "I just gave him loving t-rex arms"?

I just imagine him pawing at things with his tiny claws like a cat.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 6, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Richard Corben's issue of Solo was great. In fact all of the issues of Solo were great. Even the Damion Scott one.

Speaking of which: I think I'd actually probably enjoy a Damion Scott comic a lot more if it wasn't a mainstream superhero book. His Batgirl stuff was rad for the most part but his Raven mini was inscrutable. I think that if he had a script that really just let him go nuts it would be fun as heck to read.

Yildun
Jan 21, 2011

fritz posted:

It's "Worst/Best comic book art example thread", not "Worst/Best comic book art example thread (high volume output edition) "

And anyway, Jim Woodring:

OMFG I'd removed that mostly from my brain. I somehow ran across one of his books at random and was enjoying the surreal, somewhat nightmare quality until the point where the pig thing started slicing its own skin off. I couldn't handle that.

Give me Krazy Kat any day. Or Little Nemo for that matter. :(

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Richard Corben's issue of Solo was great. In fact all of the issues of Solo were great. Even the Damion Scott one.

Speaking of which: I think I'd actually probably enjoy a Damion Scott comic a lot more if it wasn't a mainstream superhero book. His Batgirl stuff was rad for the most part but his Raven mini was inscrutable. I think that if he had a script that really just let him go nuts it would be fun as heck to read.

Damion Scott's art has just got stylized to the point of being unreadable. His issue of Solo was fun and cool to look at, but drat, I couldn't figure out what was going on in that Flash story at all. For reference, from Solo #10:

I think people give him a lot of poo poo because his art isn't what you expect a superhero book to look like, so maybe you're right. I hated his Batgirl work at first, but I've done a complete 180 and I think it's pretty great now.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
I think Scott *could* be absolutely fantastic, but he just needs to find the right balance between the hyper-expressive graffiti style and, well, telling a loving story. He's a less disciplined Chris Bachalo. He did some AMAZING work on Batgirl before he started experimenting off the rails, though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Great:
I really liked Skottie Young's art in New X-Men Childhood's End:

i also liked Milo Manara's art in Borgia, even when he wasn't drawing people loving each other:

Bad:
I might be in the minority with this one, but I really hated Parlov's art in Punisher Max:

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Alhazred posted:

I really hated Parlov's art in Punisher Max

This is it. I found it. I have found the worst opinion in comics.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

d00gZ posted:

I think Scott *could* be absolutely fantastic, but he just needs to find the right balance between the hyper-expressive graffiti style and, well, telling a loving story. He's a less disciplined Chris Bachalo. He did some AMAZING work on Batgirl before he started experimenting off the rails, though.

I'd kind of like to see him back in comics, just to see if what he's learned since he vanished. The Raven mini was pretty abysmal, but if there's one thing about Damion Scott, it's that he's always changing his art, but whether that's always a good thing is another matter. His work on Batgirl #1 definitely doesn't look the same as his art when he left that book, and is lightyears away from his crazy experimental solo stuff.

Or at least get him to do some crazy graffiti covers or something.

Floodworks
Apr 6, 2010

Our bones will bleach in the sun.

Beanpants posted:

This is it. I found it. I have found the worst opinion in comics.

seriously. Parlov is the clearest story teller, and the best composer of any of the artists that worked on Punish Max. I wish every issue would have been done by him.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

EthanEde posted:

seriously. Parlov is the clearest story teller, and the best composer of any of the artists that worked on Punish Max. I wish every issue would have been done by him.

The fact that he's currently embroiled in loving stupid vampire dracula poo poo makes me so frustrated, Parlov is SO GOOD.

d00gZ fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 6, 2011

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

Let's turn this around. Found on the Site That Will Not Be Named.

Daredevil #1. Paolo Rivera.

Hold on to your hats.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

d00gZ posted:

Hold on to your hats.

That's kind of an impractical pose, considering that he can't see through his baton (escrima stick?).

edit for seriousness:
I love the cityscape design, it'd be interesting to have Daredevil vision be represented that way...

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

bairfanx posted:

That's kind of an impractical pose, considering that he can't see through his baton (escrima stick?).

I want you to think about that statement, and the character in question, for just ten seconds.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

d00gZ posted:

I want you to think about that statement, and the character in question, for just ten seconds.

I don't really know if they're escrima sticks if they're connected.

For content, does anyone know what the hell was up with the Jimmy Olsen one-shot's art? It was mostly beautiful, but some of the face-on shots (character facing the "camera") just looked horrible. Actually, the 3/4 shots, specifically one of Lois, seem to be the worst.

I'd scan if I had a scanner available, but really, you all should've bought and read this.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 7, 2011

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Paul Pope (from "One Hundred Percent"):

Carla Speed McNeil (from "Finder"):

Darwyn Cooke (from "Parker: the Hunter"):

Sean Murphy (from "Joe the Barbarian"):

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Thread needs more Marcos Martin, Jack Kirby, and Brian Bolland.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Die Laughing posted:

Thread needs more Marcos Martin, Jack Kirby, and Brian Bolland.

Then post it. This isn't a request thread.

Anyway despite not liking his work on Scarlet Alex Maleev can do great work when not relying too much on photo referencing.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

My love for Mike Mignola knows no bounds. He works with light and dark and negative space extremely well.

There are certain panels in Hellboy that just make my jaw drop. He's a great artist, but for reasons other than immense detail. Hellboy is a pretty simple art style, but I think it's harder to be an incredible artist using simplicity.

I'm at work, so I can't post anything, but I'll try to when I get home.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Waterhaul posted:

This is too much. It has so much detail that it's abstract. I can't tell what's happening here, is it raining or something exploding? Am I looking down on it, or is it coming from far in the distance? Are those buildings or tubes? There's sort of human-like shapes at the bottom, but there's also a lot of scribbles like he went crazy with a spirograph, too.

That would be neat if it were in a modern art museum, but as a page in a graphic novel, it's a mess.

Edit: I didn't even notice the giant head at the top.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Fish Of Doom posted:

This is too much. It has so much detail that it's abstract. I can't tell what's happening here, is it raining or something exploding? Am I looking down on it, or is it coming from far in the distance? Are those buildings or tubes? There's sort of human-like shapes at the bottom, but there's also a lot of scribbles like he went crazy with a spirograph, too.

That would be neat if it were in a modern art museum, but as a page in a graphic novel, it's a mess.

Edit: I didn't even notice the giant head at the top.

It's a top down view of a street fight while it's raining. It's more clearer in the coloured version but that's covered in narration that takes away from it.

Tortilla Tequila
Nov 4, 2009

redbackground posted:

That first one is standard Sam Keith--looks good to me.

Take a gander at Wolverine's barrel-esque thigh.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

d00gZ posted:

Hold on to your hats.

They showed the DD portion of the cover at the Marvel panel at Kapow today, and they just gushed about the background as they struggled to effectively explain it. Thanks for saving me a google search.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bairfanx posted:

I don't really know if they're escrima sticks if they're connected.

I haven't been around long enough to know if you know that you missed the point of doogz's comment. If you do, sorry! If you don't, think again. I think it's cool that he drew it that way.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Goddam, I just noticed that background. Beautiful stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Heresiarch posted:

Paul Pope (from "One Hundred Percent"):

While I like Paul Pope in general he has this problem where characters he draws end up kind of... ugly. Not poorly drawn but just kind of ugly in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Breakfast Cereal posted:

Take a gander at Wolverine's barrel-esque thigh.

Sam Keith does a pretty awesome Wolverine IMO