Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Trast posted:

Stuff like that makes me cherish the times Amanda Conner draws Powergirl. Conner does plenty of cheesecake but its not even in the same galaxy as crap like that.

Power Girl was the last DC title I was reading. The way Conner did the poses and expressions were just perfect. A quick search makes me suspect she put more than a little of herself into her depiction of Power Girl.

Once she left, the book felt like unrepentant cheesecake and I stopped reading.

It was like the Emma Frost series. A book about a strong independent woman, let down by exploitative cover art that put off anyone not a horny teenaged boy from ever buying it.

The art, while not terrible in itself, ranged from:

Sabrina the Teenaged Mutant

To fear of abuse

To, damaged eye candy :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

Power Girl was the last DC title I was reading. The way Conner did the poses and expressions were just perfect. A quick search makes me suspect she put more than a little of herself into her depiction of Power Girl.

Once she left, the book felt like unrepentant cheesecake and I stopped reading.
It's worth another shot. The most recent arc w/Superman was very amusing and they're just starting to hit a good stride. Much less cheesecake and much more fun like Palmiotti, Grey and Conner.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Gorilla Salad posted:

The art, while not terrible in itself, ranged from:

Sabrina the Teenaged Mutant

To fear of abuse

To, damaged eye candy :stare:

These look like romance novel covers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not enough secret billionare* pregancy with a side dish of amnesia.

*Ex-naxy seal ranger surgeon lawyer cowboy oil baron sheik.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not enough secret billionare* pregancy with a side dish of amnesia.

*Ex-naxy seal ranger surgeon lawyer cowboy oil baron sheik.

You forgot vampire!

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Those are some indyplanet worthy covers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Plus, Steve Dillon draws "Angry Frank" better than just about anyone.

I really dig Steve Dillon's Punisher, but this is probably the best "Angry Frank" I've ever seen.

It's by Leandro Fernandez from Punisher Max, and that's Frank's face after learning on the news that a mobster has dug up his wife and child and pissed on their corpses.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Okay, this is going to take a while, but I think it's what the thread is all about.

All the images on this post are from Immortal Weapons #1

The book is split into two stories, that of Fat Cobra and a b-story about Iron Fist.

The Fat Cobra story tells the history of Fat Cobra using a framing device of a researcher telling Fat Cobra his own history (since Fat Cobra has drunk it away)

Anyways the present day sections are by Mico Suayan and look like this:

The Past sections are equally stunning, especially the Michael Lark bit:

Having taken in this ocular feast, you turn to the b-story expecting further greatness and get:

Way to keep up, Travel Foreman.

and for those who say that it's stylistic drawing I give you this

Arms do not work that way! Goodnight!

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jonny Nox posted:

Having taken in this ocular feast, you turn to the b-story expecting further greatness and get:

Way to keep up, Travel Foreman.

and for those who say that it's stylistic drawing I give you this

Arms do not work that way! Goodnight!

What's he holding, a loving uzi with a pistol barrel? And he's holding it like a candle in the second panel.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I hope no-one will mind if I post a bit of Albert Uderzo, who I think is one of the most whimsical artists I've ever seen and seriously just look at that massive cast. Go on, try and find some matching faces.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 8, 2011

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Nilbop posted:

I hope no-one will mind if I post a bit of Albert Uderzo, who I think is one of the most whimsical artists I've ever seen and seriously just look at that massive cast. Go on, try and find some matching faces.

I love his work - most of why I read Asterix was the art. Every feast and town scene had so much background stuff going on. Bard being choked, Dogmatix doing mischief, etc.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Nilbop posted:

Incredibly racist characterisations of black people aside, this is marvellous. I love the little touches in the top one, like Brutus having the smuggest look on his face while staring at Caesar's back and with his hands concealed. Also Geriatrix's wife's reaction.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010
I am not exaggerating when I say that Inaki Miranda's art in Birds of Prey 9 and 10 is the worst art I've ever seen in a printed comic.

Click here to view the full image

Yeti Yeti Yeti fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 9, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Supreme Allah posted:

I love his work - most of why I read Asterix was the art. Every feast and town scene had so much background stuff going on. Bard being choked, Dogmatix doing mischief, etc.

Agreed, and while the quality of the books dropped when Goscinny died, the art was still amazing. I was really sad to hear the French Government made Uderzo pay a huge amount of back-tax because they refuted his claim to be a co-author of the books because he "only" did the art.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Supreme Allah posted:

The beautiful thing about it is that in every single Asterix book there's a feast. At the end of every single one. And every time he creates a different scene and to be honest it never gets old. The background stuff is always different and entertaining and there is always a twist on the choking. Sure there are some similar ideas and situations that stays from picture to picture, but he really brings in fresh ideas and fun to each and every feast.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

Yeti Yeti Yeti posted:

I am not exaggerating when I say that Inaki Miranda's art in Birds of Prey 9 and 10 is the worst art I've ever seen in a printed comic.

It looks like they went to the Luna Brothers school of design.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Yeti Yeti Yeti posted:

Never thought I'd see a professional comic use dodge/burn shading.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Yeti Yeti Yeti posted:

What the gently caress is up with her legs?

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

I have not seen a perfect storm of lovely artist on this scale since Leifeld.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
It was pointed out in the Badass panels thread how impressive David Mazzucchelli's art in Batman Year One was which prompted me to break out my copy of Asterios Polyp.

Mazzucchelli is such a good story teller oh my gosh. Asterios' vision of the myth of Orpheus is almost painfully beautiful.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Danny DeVito is: Wolverine

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Solvalou posted:

Seriously? Four pages and no mention of Moebius?

Wow, I really love the way he expresses motion and action. Its almost like looking at a Ghibli work in print form. Actually, scratch the almost.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Danny DeVito is: Wolverine

Short, hairy, surly, vaguely repulsive. Makes sense to me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

VanSandman posted:

Wow, I really love the way he expresses motion and action. Its almost like looking at a Ghibli work in print form. Actually, scratch the almost.

Moebius and Miazaki did an exhibit together and there is lots of shared admiration between them. Here's a pretty cool little interview with them both.

Speaking of motion and action the bottom panel of this from Miazaki's Nausicaa manga might be my favorite single panel ever.

I hope that it's not too anime, I usually just browse BSS, but this is a cool thread and I love both Miazaki and Moebius so I thought it would be appropriate.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

a kitten posted:

I hope that it's not too anime

If any Japanese artist at all gets a pass, it's Miyazaki. Goddamn love his stuff.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

There's no need to make the distinction between Japanese and Western comic artists. If they're great, post them. If they're the worst, post them too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That Wolverine cover got me thinking. Unfortunately, I got me thinking of this cover from Wolverine: Revolver that I had thought I had wiped from my memory.

EDIT - Went looking for more, found a thread at the Statue Forums with the same idea as this.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 11, 2011

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Why would you want the most amazing thing ever wiped from your memory?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Gorilla Salad posted:

That Wolverine cover got me thinking. Unfortunately, I got me thinking of this cover from Wolverine: Revolver that I had thought I had wiped from my memory.

EDIT - Went looking for more, found a thread at the Statue Forums with the same idea as this.

Gary Busey + Adamantium Skeleton + Healing Factor.

Even Thanos just shat himself.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 12, 2011

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Gorilla Salad posted:

I almost choked on my own spit and died from laughing so much. Thanks a lot, rear end in a top hat. t:mad:t

:roflolmao:

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

To be fair, the same artist (Das Pastoras) did the interiors on that book, and they were gorgeous.

He had another Wolverine story with an equally terrible cover:

And proportionally great interiors:

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Beanpants posted:

To be fair, the same artist (Das Pastoras) did the interiors on that book, and they were gorgeous.

So, this was one of those comics with no words?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Maybe Das Pastoras just can't do covers? Maybe all the empty space ruins his perspective skills, because clearly he has some talent.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
To be fair, the demon was apparently modeled on this bat:

But there's no excuse for that Wolverine.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some good art.
Philippe Delaby's art in Murena:

Juan Gimenez' art in Metabarons:

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

The Technopope! Wow.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arctic Baldwin posted:

The Technopope! Wow.

The Technopope:

(Art by Moebius)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
This thread needs more Brits (sorry for the crappy phone camera quality).

Brian Bolland! Classic Dredd from his last ever regular 2000AD story before he went to the States. His linework is phenomenal, and even though he has his imitators (step forward, Cliff Robinson) nobody's ever matched him.

Simon Bisley! ABC Warriors was his first pro work (I actually prefer his B&W linework to his painted stuff), and I love the sheer dynamism of this page. Why are they hanging from a chain? Why would robots have muscles? Who the gently caress cares, it looks awesome.

I'd put in some Henry Flint (Dredd, ABCs, Zombo and especially Shakara) too, but it was hard finding a single representative page. Shakara is fantastic(ally bizarre), though.

To balance things out, here's some terrible 2000AD art. What the hell, Liam Sharp? We know you can do better than this!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Here's some David Petersen art from Mouse Guard.

You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From the latest New Avengers, I think someone broke Chaykin's hand and he was still determined to make the deadline. Look at this poo poo.

Weapon Plus decided to remove Steve Rogers' forearm completely, then linked his wrist to where his elbow should be. They also cut his arm in half and badly reattached it. His pinky was cut in half too, but they forgot to fix it.