Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Frank Quitely rendered this portrait of Alan Moore. I'd say it's pretty good.

Source = Bleedingcool.

Also there's stuff hidden in the beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Being a huge fan of Savage Sword, I always loved Big John Buscema's work. For those that don't know, Savage Sword was black-and-white [outside of the iconic covers], so there wasn't anything on the pages besides clean, crisp lines

I also dig the Kubertses

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Don't forget the great inking of Alfredo Alcala, which is featured (I'm 90% sure) on that second image. The guy was a beast.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I found some of those old [i]Savage Sword[i]s in a used bookstore a few years ago. They're badass.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Some artists that I found lacking in the good side of this thread:

Andreas Martens - Rork / Passages (much of his art, the structure of the panels, the innovations used, I've got no words for - truly a remarkable storyteller, as well as an artist)

Bill Sienkiewicz - Stray Toasters (it's a bit of love/hate relationship - some of the portrayed plots are completly umprehensible, though he often portrays thoughts of insane, so...)

Dave McKean - Cages

David Mack - Dream Logic

Gabriel Ba & Fabio Moon - Pixu

Nate Simpson - Nonplayer

Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri - Druuna

:nws: Carnivora

Salvador Sanz - Legion

edit: updated the artists with book names

canis minor fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 13, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

eithedog posted:

Dave McKean

Dave McKean is an absolute god. Arkham Asylum was one of the most beautiful comics I've ever read and I'd pay top euro to have it blown up to a gently caress-off huge size.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Nonplayer is such a beautiful book, it's a pity that the gorgeous lines and coloring means it will probably only come out once a year.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

eithedog posted:

Gabriel Ba & Fabio Moon

My first thought at seeing that guy was that this was a disturbing and gritty reimagining of The BFG.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

It's time to talk about Will Eisner.

Look at that and remind yourself that it's two-dimensional. Nobody else could render light and shadow with that fluidity, texture, weight and life. I've never seen another artist marry such stylised cartooning with such vivid, visceral observational detail and carry it off so well. One of my favourite stylistic quirks is the way he'd incorporate text and captions into the material of the world, like the newspaper above. Everything about his work is just so well crafted that it becomes almost invisible - look at the weight in the negative space of the doorway and stoop here, and the effortless flow of the page:

Somebody earlier mentioned the human quality that non-supermodel faces and bodies give to characters, and this is one of Eisner's biggest strengths. Every character in his world looks as if they have an inner life, and a personality and a story to tell, and I'd be astounded if anybody could identify an instance of same-face anywhere in his work. Expression abounds in his human figures, and you can read entire scenes in body language alone, from extremes of posture to subtleties of expression:

If I'm gushing, it's because Eisner remains pretty much untouchable. He was a prolific artist and writer, and there is not an inch of his work which doesn't hold rewards when you slow down and take it in. One of my favourites of his vignettes is told entirely in pantomime and its enormous emotional punch is delivered in the form of music. Yeah, music, in a silent medium, and it pretty much moved me to tears. Since I can't find it online, here's a visual take on another sensory experience:

Background, foreground, physical, metaphysical, emotional, industrial, natural and especially human, he had that poo poo locked down.

Tl;dr: There is a reason there's an award named after him.

Recommended reading: The Spirit, A Contract With God, Dropsie Avenue

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Kismet posted:

It's time to talk about Will Eisner.

Look at that and remind yourself that it's two-dimensional. Nobody else could render light and shadow with that fluidity, texture, weight and life. I've never seen another artist marry such stylised cartooning with such vivid, visceral observational detail and carry it off so well. One of my favourite stylistic quirks is the way he'd incorporate text and captions into the material of the world, like the newspaper above. Everything about his work is just so well crafted that it becomes almost invisible - look at the weight in the negative space of the doorway and stoop here, and the effortless flow of the page:

Somebody earlier mentioned the human quality that non-supermodel faces and bodies give to characters, and this is one of Eisner's biggest strengths. Every character in his world looks as if they have an inner life, and a personality and a story to tell, and I'd be astounded if anybody could identify an instance of same-face anywhere in his work. Expression abounds in his human figures, and you can read entire scenes in body language alone, from extremes of posture to subtleties of expression:

If I'm gushing, it's because Eisner remains pretty much untouchable. He was a prolific artist and writer, and there is not an inch of his work which doesn't hold rewards when you slow down and take it in. One of my favourites of his vignettes is told entirely in pantomime and its enormous emotional punch is delivered in the form of music. Yeah, music, in a silent medium, and it pretty much moved me to tears. Since I can't find it online, here's a visual take on another sensory experience:

Background, foreground, physical, metaphysical, emotional, industrial, natural and especially human, he had that poo poo locked down.

Tl;dr: There is a reason there's an award named after him.

Recommended reading: The Spirit, A Contract With God, Dropsie Avenue

I just finished reading a biography about him and he really was revolutionary for his time, and even now. His splash page opening to the Spirit stories (like the one you posted up there) was unheard of at the time and his publisher often wanted him to just do a cover instead of some complicated art intro where people woudln't even find the name Spirit in it.

edit: Also the whole piece of art that you have up there of Hamlet's "to be speech" was done when some writer said artists could not portray true emotion in art. Eisner proved him wrong.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I've got a pretty nice collection of books, both comics and literary, and one of my favorite items is the Contract With God trilogy hardcover.

Basically what I'm saying here is that Eisner's combination of art and writing is amazing.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Adding some others:

Jean-Claude Mezieres - Valerian

already mentioned James Stokoe, in a non Orc Stain setting - Skullkickers

Milo Manara

Regis Loisel - Peter Pan

Steve Pugh - Hotwire

Brandon Graham - King City

Quantify! posted:

Nonplayer is such a beautiful book, it's a pity that the gorgeous lines and coloring means it will probably only come out once a year.

Probably you're right, thought I'd rather wait for well polished artwork than see similar stuff to that at the beginning of this thread (hell - I had to wait 15 years for the conclusion of Rork - with 7 tomes, and Thorgal is still an on-going serie, after 30 years, with 32 tomes). What I find amazing is that something like that comes from a person with no aparent experience in creating comics.

Bat Ham posted:

My first thought at seeing that guy was that this was a disturbing and gritty reimagining of The BFG.

They're brothers working together, and while Pixu isn't their trademark work (as they're probably more known for their work on Daytripper or Casanova), it's original enough for me to find interesting.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
If we're going to include comics from around the world, there are a lot of beautiful manga and manwha floating around, but you don't get much more opulent than Kaoru Mori's Otoyomegatari.
The first volume has recently become available in English as A Bride's Story. :toot:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Here's some David Petersen art from Mouse Guard.

You're welcome.

He was at a tiny, lovely comicon I went to at some point. Seemed kinda grumpy so I didn't ask him any questions (it was a ridiculously small turnout, so I didn't really see a problem with his grumpiness) :(. He did sign one of my issues of Mouseguard. He had a portfolio of original work you could buy, the majority of which was from the Dark Crystal. Basically, I think he must have grown up studying Froud and this awesome artstyle is the result.

Unfortunately, even though his prints were very well priced, I didn't have the money for one at the time, which made me feel even worse for him turning up at this lovely con.

And an artist that I met at another comicon whose work I love, Chris Grine, who felt like writing/drawing the first book after finishing up "Bone":

Sorry, I couldn't find any decent scans online, so you have to deal with my lovely scans.

And just because it made me giggle.

I like simple and expressive.

I think I was 13 or something and saw an issue of Poison Elves for like 50 cents at a comic store. The cover looked bad, but hey, Elves, right?
It's painful to look at, mainly because of the faces. The fan art that showed up in the GIS was far superior to the actual artwork. Apparently the artist, Drew Hayes, is now deceased*.

Also, no clue if Rob Stotz actually belongs here since he hasn't had any steady work, ever, according to google, but he was the "breakdown artist" of this terrible picture. There was no penciler listed.

I haven't looked at this issue for years and years, but still remembered it just for that brilliant piece of "art" wedged into the pretty standard mediocre art style of the rest of the issue. There's another artist that I had started following excalibur for, but I'm too lazy to go look who that was. This was just between issues that the good artist was penciling.

*of fat related illnesses. I'm a terrible person.

Edit: gently caress I need to do something about that picture later.

Bored fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 15, 2011

Sapphira
Apr 7, 2006
Maaan, I don't know nothing about art and whatnot (especially at 4 am), but I just wanted to make sure people saw these two dudes atleast :)

Sam Kieth

Wolverine/Hulk

and

Jim Steranko

Dude was making awesome poo poo (even) back in the 60s.

Awesome intro pages

and crazy sweet splash pages.

All from his Nick Fury stuff.

Dude just plain owns. As well he should, what with being in the Eisner award Hall of Fame and all.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Paging through the old issue of New Mutants back-up in X-Men Legacy #250 reminded me what a great and interesting artist Bill Sienkiewicz was.

Here's an article that goes on more about him: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2007/08/01/365-reasons-to-love-comics-213/

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sapphira posted:

Jim Steranko

He also did conceptual art and character designs for Raiders of the Lost Ark and Bram Stoker's Dracula

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Shageletic posted:

Paging through the old issue of New Mutants back-up in X-Men Legacy #250 reminded me what a great and interesting artist Bill Sienkiewicz was.

Here's an article that goes on more about him: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2007/08/01/365-reasons-to-love-comics-213/

"Was?" He's not dead.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

"Was?" He's not dead.

No, but no one seems to trust him enough to let him do anything more than scribble inks over some terrible artist's pencils once in a while. The dude is a genius in a medium run by idiots. He's cooking up a slice of tender beef and everyone's asking about the french fries.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

"Was?" He's not dead.

And hopefully he won't ever be.

Geekboy posted:

No, but no one seems to trust him enough to let him do anything more than scribble inks over some terrible artist's pencils once in a while. The dude is a genius in a medium run by idiots. He's cooking up a slice of tender beef and everyone's asking about the french fries.

No, but he did do this nifty piece recently.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Geekboy posted:

The dude is a genius in a medium run by idiots. He's cooking up a slice of tender beef and everyone's asking about the french fries.
I alternate between wondering how people got a job in the industry and why people with so much talent choose to work in the industry. You'd think "love of comics" but then they work on awful franchise stuff. X-Men shouldn't be worked on by geniuses, leave it to the hacks. Even if you want to write superhero junk, write your OWN superhero junk. Invincible is the best superhero book on the market because it never becomes derivative.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You are right Jack Kirby should not have done superheroes

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

I think Jack Kirby did his OWN superhero stuff.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

I think Jack Kirby did his OWN superhero stuff.

Not really he still had to deal with Stan Lee

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Quantify! posted:

I alternate between wondering how people got a job in the industry and why people with so much talent choose to work in the industry. You'd think "love of comics" but then they work on awful franchise stuff. X-Men shouldn't be worked on by geniuses, leave it to the hacks. Even if you want to write superhero junk, write your OWN superhero junk. Invincible is the best superhero book on the market because it never becomes derivative.

Invincible is pretty loving derivative. It's a dark twist on the Superman myth, combined with some Spider-Man, and the first few volumes have endless callouts to DC/Marvel superhero comics, from Watchmen to No Man's Land. New Gods was original. Invincible is not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Quantify! posted:

Invincible is the best superhero book on the market because it never becomes derivative.

D00gz pretty much covered it but this is the stupidest post in BSS in the last 5 years and that's a loving doozy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Also take into consideration that a lot of comic book artists grew up reading comic books and dreaming of the day they could draw said comicbooks. So for someone with a great style getting a gig on Batman it might seem like a dream come true.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Quantify! posted:

X-Men shouldn't be worked on by geniuses, leave it to the hacks.

Hey now, it's that attitude that is giving Greg Land a job.

Fantabulero
Apr 28, 2009

POP, POP!

Quantify! posted:

X-Men shouldn't be worked on by geniuses, leave it to the hacks.

Ahem, Grant Morrison. Marvel may have immediately pissed away everything he brought to the table, but my world is a better place for that run existing.

(And as an added bonus, since I can't bring myself to read anything less, I've saved a lot of money on X-Men comics since then!)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Fantabulero posted:

Ahem, Grant Morrison. Marvel may have immediately pissed away everything he brought to the table, but my world is a better place for that run existing.

(And as an added bonus, since I can't bring myself to read anything less, I've saved a lot of money on X-Men comics since then!)

Also his run sucked but Peter Milligan and Warren Ellis

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Madkal posted:

Also take into consideration that a lot of comic book artists grew up reading comic books and dreaming of the day they could draw said comicbooks. So for someone with a great style getting a gig on Batman it might seem like a dream come true.
Spending time on fanfiction instead of original stories is a waste of talent. Working on franchise superheros is essentially working on fanfiction.

IUG posted:

Hey now, it's that attitude that is giving Greg Land a job.
If the hacks are going to get work, and they are, just let them take over the franchises. I rarely read a franchise book anyway, might as well give it to the hacks. People pay MORE to buy a book from a hack! Jim Lee is an incredibly potent name.

bobkatt013 posted:

You are right Jack Kirby should not have done superheroes
Yeah, because the guy who invented dozens of superheros 50 years ago is really who I'm talking about when I refer to people who work on franchise books. In 50 years if people are treating Invincible like a franchise book, do we call Robert Kirkman a hack for creating it?

Fantabulero posted:

You really think he couldn't have done something as good with original characters?

d00gZ posted:

Invincible is pretty loving derivative. It's a dark twist on the Superman myth, combined with some Spider-Man, and the first few volumes have endless callouts to DC/Marvel superhero comics, from Watchmen to No Man's Land. New Gods was original. Invincible is not.
What does it borrow from Superman? Well, he's of alien origin and he's super tough and can fly. So basically a few of Superman's powers and an origin that vaguely relates to Superman.

What does it borrow from Spider-Man? The character is high school/college age.

And hey Kirkman gives tongue in cheek acknowledgements to 60 years of superhero history!

WHOA ITS DERIVATIVE!!!

Yeah, every superhero is derivative if you look at it that way. Rex Splode has Gambit's powers! Atom Eve is basically a Pink Lantern! Kirkman ripped off everything!

Oh, wait. I'm talking about story not superpowers. The important thing in these stories is the actual story. Kirkman tells an original story in Invincible. Unless you want to tell me where he's ripped off his entire 70 issues of story from. I'd love to read that book!

Here's some art because this is the art thread:

Look at that line work. Look at that rich coloring. My god, I think it even has appropriate facial expressions.

Quantify! fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 20, 2011

Fantabulero
Apr 28, 2009

POP, POP!

Quantify! posted:

You really think he couldn't have done something as good with original characters?

Of course he could have. He has, and he will again. But to me, his run elevated the whole X-Men/mutant concept into something better, smarter, and more interesting. He wrote another franchise character in "All-Star Superman" and created probably the best Superman story ever told - and arguably one of the best superhero stories, period.

If your argument is that it'd be nice to see more talented creators making their own original work instead of just contributing to the old reliables, then I totally agree! But I don't think it's a totally either/or situation - doing great, interesting and/or innovative work with pre-existing franchises? I think there's value in that too. (And y'know, even the most respected industry greats need to pay the bills.)

And yes, back to art. I'm sure it's been posted before, but some Quitely work from "We3" that never fails to blow my mind:

I wish he could draw everything. :swoon:

Fantabulero fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 20, 2011

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fantabulero posted:

If your argument is that it'd be nice to see more talented creators making their own original work instead of just contributing to the old reliables, then I totally agree! But I don't think it's a totally either/or situation - doing great, interesting and/or innovative work with pre-existing franchises? I think there's value in that too.
Agreed. I think that that could produce some interesting stuff, like Milo Manara doing X-Men for example:

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Quantify! posted:

What does it borrow from Superman? Well, he's of alien origin and he's super tough and can fly. So basically a few of Superman's powers and an origin that vaguely relates to Superman.

What does it borrow from Spider-Man? The character is high school/college age.

And hey Kirkman gives tongue in cheek acknowledgements to 60 years of superhero history!

WHOA ITS DERIVATIVE!!!

Yeah, every superhero is derivative if you look at it that way. Rex Splode has Gambit's powers! Atom Eve is basically a Pink Lantern! Kirkman ripped off everything!

Oh, wait. I'm talking about story not superpowers. The important thing in these stories is the actual story. Kirkman tells an original story in Invincible. Unless you want to tell me where he's ripped off his entire 70 issues of story from. I'd love to read that book!

You're losing your point if you're saying that it isn't the character's origins and all that on-paper that matter, its the story. Like said earlier, Grant Morrison took the X-Men and did a story that wasn't derivative. There are lots of works that aren't derivative while using established characters.

I'm not really one to poo poo on Kirkman, but most of his work IS derivative. Tech Jacket is the Guyver and Green Lantern, the Viltrumites are basically Saiyans, and Walking Dead is every zombie movie ever. He does original work within that framework that he sets for himself, but the basis for his characters are built off of groundwork made by other properties. You can't wag your finger at people who create good stuff using Marvel or DC characters while Kirkman does the same thing using analogs or homages.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Quantify! posted:

Spending time on fanfiction instead of original stories is a waste of talent. Working on franchise superheros is essentially working on fanfiction.
If the hacks are going to get work, and they are, just let them take over the franchises. I rarely read a franchise book anyway, might as well give it to the hacks. People pay MORE to buy a book from a hack! Jim Lee is an incredibly potent name.

So you don't read "franchise comics" and therefore they are a waste of time and anyone working on them is either a hack or someone working on fanfiction. Just want to make sure that that is the point you are making. I can understand not liking or wanting to read any Batman/X-Men/etc comics but to just dismiss anything that is good that comes out of them as "fanfiction" is stupid.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
There's good fanfiction, but working within the boundaries of fanfiction is setting yourself up to fail.

That's all I'll say on the matter for now cuz I know I'm not going to actually bring anyone around to my point of view. Post some art.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Quantify! posted:

There's good fanfiction, but working within the boundaries of fanfiction is setting yourself up to fail.

That's all I'll say on the matter for now cuz I know I'm not going to actually bring anyone around to my point of view. Post some art.

Let's take this conversation to derailed, that is what's it there for when an argument like this happens.

Here's a page by David Aja who is a master, what I find interesting however is how he talks about taking shortcuts in order to make a deadline and the comic being better for it. I think this is one of those examples.

Johnny Digital
Apr 29, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dave McKean is an absolute god. Arkham Asylum was one of the most beautiful comics I've ever read and I'd pay top euro to have it blown up to a gently caress-off huge size.

I saw some of his Arkham Asylum stuff in an exhibition at a local cinema, before I got into comics. Seeing this:

at A2 size kind of grabs your attention. A Serious House on Serious Earth was the first graphic novel I ever bought.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
After reading an unfortunate amount of manga, an artist that really stuck out to me was Yūji Iwahara. He draws fantastic action sequences and has a really bold and high contrast style. Below are a couple pages from the series King of Thorns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

JackDarko posted:

Let's take this conversation to derailed, that is what's it there for when an argument like this happens.

Here's a page by David Aja who is a master, what I find interesting however is how he talks about taking shortcuts in order to make a deadline and the comic being better for it. I think this is one of those examples.

I love the little smile on Dannys face when the elevator dings. I do the same thing.