Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

VanSandman posted:

Wow, I really love the way he expresses motion and action. Its almost like looking at a Ghibli work in print form. Actually, scratch the almost.

Moebius and Miazaki did an exhibit together and there is lots of shared admiration between them. Here's a pretty cool little interview with them both.

Speaking of motion and action the bottom panel of this from Miazaki's Nausicaa manga might be my favorite single panel ever.

I hope that it's not too anime, I usually just browse BSS, but this is a cool thread and I love both Miazaki and Moebius so I thought it would be appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This isn't a gif of a scene from an anime, it's a gif of sequential pages from the hilarious and wonderful comic Onepunch Man.

A guy trains to become stronger and be a hero; accidentally becomes the strongest in the world, ever. (and his hair falls out). Read more here.

Solanin

No idea where this is from, just some 70's girl's manga.

I really like panels and pages that show motion. :shobon:

And just so I'm not anime-ing up the place too badly.

Mike Dringenberg from Sandman Season of Mists

Even though the art is all over the place throughout the book, I still love J O'Barr's original Crow comic.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 5, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

LashLightning posted:

Seems to be by Kazuo Umezu according to Google Image search that points to this Amazon.jp page. The only thing by him that I've seen before is Cat Eyed Boy, but he is a horror artist/writer so yeah.

Aha! The page I found it on had it among a whole bunch of vintage shoujo (girl's) stuff, so that's what I went with.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Finally bought We3 after seeing it in this thread reminded me that it existed. I was a little surprised to learn it was so short, but one the whole I don't think it needed to be drawn out any longer. Absolutely loved it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Draw Shojo Girls? Draw Girl Girls? That doesn't seem all that helpful.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's canon that Dr. Dooom is an MC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tK8pEpbsG4

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A friend of mine was posting about how his kid wanted to have lego Spider-man marry lego Venom and said he was against it because heroes shouldn't marry villains. I couldn't remember if Venom was still a bad guy, or had maybe reformed so I was googling around and...

DEAR GOD :stonk:

Who could look at that and think "drat that's a fine Venom(ette)"?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo Marvel? Thanks for taking one of your few female characters that has a classy costume and making her into jerk fodder for anime nerds!

poo poo that is right up there with Ghost in the Shell creator Masamune Shirow's more recent stuff. Ugh.
Speaking of him, those Phoenix covers do look fairly similar to the Dark Horse release of GitS:Man Machine Interface which came out roughly around that same time. I assume they were trying to grab the same audience.

e: timg-ing everything, since they are pictures of anime ladies in next-to-nothing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Those pages by Shirow, while they're sexualized anime stuff, at least they're well-crafted.
e: well, better than the Kinnaird stuff, the Shirow pages above are compositionally terrible and there's some lovely low effort coloring going on but at least the anatomy pretty is good by anime standards
well if you discount the boobs hanging upwards I guess
gently caress anime ugh

Shirow has done good work, and possibly still has some more in him--though I'm increasingly doubtful about that. MMI for the most part isn't good work and is almost entirely about drawing the balloon-bodied and CGI-shaded characters in increasingly compromising positions and a nonsensical plot.

But, go back a few years more and you can see some decent stuff. For example this cover for one of the original Ghost in the Shell manga volumes:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 30, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well heck, let's combine the two: Kinnaird draws the Major.:shepface:

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I was just about to say that that dude looked like he was doing some bizarre amalgamation of 2000 era Masamune Shirow and Bruce Timm.

That actually pretty much nails it.

e:
aaaa He drew Yoko from Gurren Lagann, this dude has a knack for taking what are already overly fanservicey/cheesecake characters and making them even worse; that image search Flesh Forge linked is chock full of examples.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 30, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

I guess he saw a certain famous masterpiece by Greg Land and thought this would be a good homage:

Hey Shirow did one of those too!
Even more :nws: than normal:

And so I'm not just endlessly bitching about him, here's a couple of his older covers that I actually like. They are still very stylized and aren't without their problems, but I like them a lot more than the overly glossy, overstuffed sausage look of his newer work.

The anatomy is handled better and the colors are way nicer. I do tend to not be a fan of digital coloring in general though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SMP posted:

For content: here's a preview of the upcoming Elektra book.

Look at those loving colors.

That's awesome.

I'll take "Terrible Things I Bought in the 90's" for 500, Alex.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I liked Dale Keown's art on Hulk, but I honestly hadn't a clue he'd done one of the really early Image books. Learn something new every day.

I kind of like his take on the Hulk; he does huge and pissed off pretty well. Pitt is just so...spikey and chainy and toothy.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nothing wrong with speed lines man.

read right to left

Check out that detail in their clothes and the cinematic action.
A Bride's Story by Kaoru Mori is kinda amazing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jack Kirby draws football for some reason.

Cleveland Browns

San Francisco 49ers

New York Giants

Green Bay Packers

Some sort of football Space God?

http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/blog/jack-kirbys-1973-nfl-artwork-fantastic-trippy-hell

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

...that's literally just a loanword meaning "panties". Like, it doesn't mean "creepy upskirt shot" it just means "underwear".

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 1, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sometimes vintage girls' manga gets a little carried away with eyes and the sparkling thereof.

But, you also stumble across some neat stuff:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 2, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

J.A.B.C. posted:

What is this from? The kid in the shell looks like something from Osamu Tezuka, but I can't place the rest of it.

The blog I found it on (here) only has Fantasy World Jun, Shotaro Ishinomori c. 1977 which eventually led me to this "Ishinomori's art is reminiscent of that of his mentor, Osamu Tezuka", so there ya go.

Just digging around tumblr and gis gives some pretty cool art from the dude too.

Here's some more :swoon: just for the hell of it:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

If that's the Zelda manga I'm thinking of, it's really good.

It is, someone posted the entire thing in one of the recent gbs webcomic threads, it was pretty fantastic.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This is a thing i just found.

:yikes:

Th...they both kinda look like Nic Cage.

e:
the rest

a kitten fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 3, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

On an entirely different note: here's a collection of parts that individually look pretty decent, but taken as a whole just looks completely off.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Edit: poo poo, this is the art thread not the funny thread!

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 7, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anyway, this cover looks cool.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

panel from Jack Kirby’s 2001: A Space Odyssey #6,1977

Wait, what?

Whoa.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Murata's Spider-verse cover triptych

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Somebody put Murata on a Spider-man book please

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

JordanKai posted:

I actually don't mind the Sandman recolours that much (possibly because I haven't read it yet), but good lord:

:stonklol:

This and the Sandman recolors just make me so sad. In Sandman's case I'm sure part of it is just that it's so different from the version I've read and reread numerous times.

It does ensure that I'll try to keep my volumes in great shape so I don't ever have to replace them.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 9, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ok, first of all: who the hell says "singing sensation"? Unless they were describing a 60's novelty act or something.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 9, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quote:

Nightcat was created by Jim Salicrup, Barry Dutter, Stan Lee, Denys Cowan and Jimmy Palmiotti. Marvel creator Stan Lee wanted to develop a female superhero who crossed over into the real world. Like Dazzler, this hero was also a rock singer. So they released an issue of the Nightcat comic book and hired actress/singer Jacqueline Tavarez to embody Night Cat in real life.

An entire album simply titled Nightcat was recorded and the song "#1 House Rule." Neither the comic nor the album were commercially successful and Jacqueline was fired. At the time she claimed it was because she had appeared in a music video for a song by Joey Buttafuoco. She has since appeared in the film Tromeo And Juliet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-hfE009MKM

Thanks internet.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

I thought that was just a 'bit' he was doing, or was he genuinely nuts at the time?

Yeah, he's in-character as his role in Rubin and Ed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5eLYzltZPU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Some more Murata Spider-Man to celebrate Homecoming.

https://twitter.com/SpidermanfilmJP/status/893305514481696769

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Was huge into the image guys when I was in middle school, can definitely confirm you work on the signature first.

Once you learn to draw a decent scroll with like, aging details, little rips and holes, you can just write your name on that.

Haha, ridiculous. Who would ever do such a thing...
:ninja::sweatdrop:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a good teamup

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/feitclub/status/910104382846337024

:eyepop:

That's good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lady Lobo
https://twitter.com/toshirou_cva/status/921638341639946240

and some Justice League
https://twitter.com/GwynCampbell/status/921673274139930625

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm just going to have to come right out and say it: Moebius is good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The_Other posted:

Are you thinking about Ruins by Warren Ellis? I've never read it but it sounds like what you are describing.

Some of the art was cool, i wonder where my copies wandered off to? Haven't even thought about it in years.

Was only 2 issues i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Haha, well maybe I won't see if I still have those comics in a dusty box somewhere

That does remind me that I haven't seen my copy of Marvels for around the same amount of time. I feel like that one at least is probably worth revisiting