Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
"I just want to talk about something cheerful before I die" (big drab gray-on-gray splash image)

Maybe it was intending to make a point there, but on the other hand, there's... The rest of the pages.

So glad I have the originals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

got his shins blown off by th' nazzies

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Kil-o-wog, he flies like a moron

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Lobok posted:

Not sure what it is about Tom DeFalco following legendary runs on titles but he followed Roger Stern on Amazing Spider-Man and Walt Simonson on Thor. And with him was Ron Frenz both times. I've always liked Frenz from his work on Spidey and he seems pretty underrated. When following Simonson (well, Buscema really) on Thor his style is admittedly more of the conventional house style but I'm quicky becoming a big fan of his work. Here he shows us a Celestial judging a planet (yes, this ancient cosmic being is giving a thumbs down) and then an even bigger Celestial at the end.

Also, later in the Eric Masterson days I'm pretty sure it is Frenz who does that Galactic Storm battle between Thor and Gladiator that absolutely rocks.

Thor 387

Thanks for this. The cliffhanger panel of #387, which shows more starkly the contrast in size between the two Celestials, just blew my mind as a kid. I had missed out completely on the Simonson run and only came back to it much later in life, but at the time 387 really expanded my horizons in terms of the fun OTT poo poo that comics could pull and directly sparked my interest in Kirby.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Just some incredible artistic groupthink in that era. Manga was slowly but steadily filtering into the west and yet they still all just aped that Adam Warren/Antarctic Press style.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah, the original art is clearly not intending to convey that the dark iris is the entirety of the eye. The white of the eye *is* there, Greg simply made the deliberate choice not to explicitly draw the boundary of the lower eyelid and trusted in the viewer to composite the entire image. It works well. The redraw just has an unsettling, uncanny-valley effect.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

"Got hurt a few months back."
"How?"
"Spine snapped right in two. See?"

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Didn't know it was possible for an artist's brainchildren to have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome but I guess it makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Well, if it isn't my old friend Mrs. McGwen,
With a hand for a leg and a leg for her han'