Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

And a lot of the guys you listed are agonizingly slow as well. We get one Empowered book a year, maybe. Batwoman has been nothing but delays and re-solicitations. Kick rear end 2 #1 came out in October. Amanda Conner hasn't done anything I'm aware of since her story in Wonder Woman #600.

Romita's actually meant to be quite fast, in part due to his very functional style. Kick-rear end 2's release is slow partly due to the fact Millar's putting it out in 8-page instalments in his CLiNT anthology over here in the UK (Kick-rear end 2 is the book's main draw, after all), so it takes about 4 months to get one US-sized issue out.

To contribute, personally I consider Mark Bagley to have some of the most consistently excellent work in comics, and was sad to see him leave Ultimate Spider-Man. But one artist who I did accept happily during his time away from USM was Stuart Immonen.

His work on Nextwave was fantastic, and I don't think there's anyone whose style could have suited the book better. He has this wonderful cartoonish, edgy style that really works with with the book's colour palette and general tone.

And man can he draw a splash panel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

You know who actually sucks? Greg Horn

Go away Greg Horn you've never drawn anything good ever.

What's great about this image is that you scroll down it and it goes from "hmm, that is a pretty crappy Batman head" to "awkwardly posed too, and I don't like the shading" to "oh god, is that someone's butt?" to "oh poo poo no :cry:".

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Hater's gonna hate.

(Punisher vs. Bullseye #4)

God something about Punisher and Bullseye's matching broken noses is just endlessly funny to me. Plus, Steve Dillon draws "Angry Frank" better than just about anyone.

I absolutely hate Dillon's artwork except in two contexts: The Punisher and Judge Dredd. He just does big mean angry bastards right.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I just picked up the Sonic comics app on iTunes, and downloaded a couple of issues, including the 100th. I've always had issues with the art on that series, since Spaz's look is frequently too pointy for me (ironic considering the subject matter, I know), but the Knuckles strip absolutely took the cake:

What even the hell is this:

That musculature and bone structure is just weird, and the whole strip is full of examples of Knuckles looking like a big-jawed anorexic cosplayer. I can't seem to find the images with his insane calf muscles and weird abdomen, but I'll keep searching around.

(Oh, the artist is apparently the now-infamous Ken Penders, who I did not know was an artist as well as a writer. I almost feel a bit bad going after his art since his life seems to have kind of bottomed out lately due to the ruination his career over his insistance on waging legal war on an entity he cannot concievably beat over the rights to a bunch of derivative characters that it makes no sense for him to own the rights to.)

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 23, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

"Man, I wanted Storm to be tilting her head toward the viewer, but now that nose is totally going to get in the way of the mouth! How the gently caress do I draw that!? And is there even a chin from that perspective? Or does the face end with the lower lip? gently caress it's hot today."

*bends perspective mid face*

I would like to see that face in profile.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It's really to his credit that I recognize almost every dead person on that two-page spread, even though only a few are named. If that spread had been done by, say, John Romita Jr.(though he's a great artist in his own right), I'd have no idea who any of them are supposed to be except the ones with obvious visual cues like Kaine and the masked ones.

In fairness to JRJr, a lot of his work is very functional, but he does draw some great stuff.

This is one of my all-time favourite Spider-Man covers and images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

JRJr might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he can draw a great Spider-Man.

For some reason I absolutely love this cover, and got it signed by him at Kapow.