Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
I work full-time as a letterer. In my experience, when poo poo like this happens, it's usually at the writer's behest and the editor will have their back. I suspect that's what happened here. If a letterer tried this on their own, they'd probably be replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!

Admiralty Flag posted:

My apologies; I maligned your profession unfairly. I assumed it was in the script as "What caused those SEIZURES?" and the letterers went ham on it as opposed to just bolding 'seizures' in the word balloon.

If you can answer -- is my assumption about comic companies subcontracting lettering (and, increasingly, coloring) for financial reasons true, or is it around having a flexible labor pool to guarantee fast/on-time issue completion?

Oh, you're good! No offense was taken! I just wanted to shed some light on how this may have happened, and that was a perfectly valid thing to assume.

As for subcontracting…it depends on the publisher. Marvel has mostly used freelance letterers since the early 90s, but I think that was the letterers' call more than Marvel's. The ones I know of who worked for the bullpen found they could make more money freelancing (and do it from home), so they just went for it. DC had an in-house lettering department until the late-2010s, and I reckon it folded for the reasons you stated (plus most of their lettering staff didn't want to move from NYC to Burbank, so they were short a few hands anyway). As for colorists, I can't really say, except companies haven't had in-house colorists since the rise of digital coloring.