Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

EDIT: ^^ Oh man, I thought it was good, realistic faces with good expressions. Then I continued to scroll down.

I really like this week's Uncanny X-Men's cover (and it's not Land!). It really feels like an old Star Wars poster (probably intentional, given the storyline). It was penciled by Terry Dodson, according to Marvel's site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I'm just stating my citation. Also, I know I didn't even notice the signature there the first time, so I wanted to make it a bit more human-readable. Plus, I don't know if he inked/colored it, so I'm just giving what I do know.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Breetai posted:

Astonishing X-men 38 is the worst thing.

That last panel...

So what number of mutations is Beast on in that first panel?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Quantify! posted:

X-Men shouldn't be worked on by geniuses, leave it to the hacks.

Hey now, it's that attitude that is giving Greg Land a job.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

EDIT: Now that you have content, now so will I.

Madrox posted:

These 4 are from Amazing Spider-Man 655

And some interior work:

This spread is so amazing I want to get this issue, even though I have no interest in Spider-Man.

IUG fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 25, 2011

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:negative: Humanity is doomed. Our 'futures' are too loving retarded to function.

Oh like you've never done something retarded/annoying as a teenager.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

I'm not sure who's to blame here, but goddamn.

Maybe I'm just blinded because I like that series, but I don't really see that much wrong with that cover. Can you go into a bit more detail?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Revol posted:

Holy motherfucking poo poo: Jack Kirby's 'Space Busters' concept art surfaces

The older that comic book art gets, the less like it is that I enjoy it. I know I'm wrong about this, but the masters usually just don't do anything for me.

But lately, I've discovered that Jack Kirby knocks my socks off. Especially when it's just his inks. There's just nothing better.

Man.

I've been readin the old X-Men Omnibuses, and Kirby did some of the work in the early issues of X-Men. And you bring up a good point about seeing his work in raw ink. Now that I think of it, the part of the art that I generally don't like is probably because of the color work from back then.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

fritz posted:

oh it's not just Liefeld. check out that tumblr I posted a little while up.

Yeah, that logo says Spider-Girl, but my brain just sees that as Spider-Man doing something very wrong. That's not how you use webbing Spider-Man! :gonk:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Darth Nat posted:

I actually really like it when Power Girl is drawn so that she looks, well, powerful, but I prefer it when she doesn't look like a lumpy sack of potatoes.

Did you say a sack of mashed potatoes?

Deadpool MaX-Mas
Art by Kyle Baker

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I hope someone attends covered in as many belts and pouches as they could find/buy/wear.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yes, it had a propeller hat. Also, it was a zombie (the one from Marvel Zombies). That whole Corps storyline was the worst storyline of Deadpool I've ever read. As Gavok has said before, people need to stop putting Deadpool in space.

The origin story with Kid Deadpool was awesome though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

RevKrule posted:

It's not different. It's a variant/chase costume. They spent a lot of money and time tracking it down and it'll be worth so much more in the future.

Better than those lazy Fantastic Four variant costumes. You know the ones, they're all white with only their logos on it. They say it's so you can just do stuff with the whitespace, but we all know it's just easier to make an all-white costume and slap a logo on. Why spend your time designing when people will buy the new stuff with zero effort?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dacap posted:

What stood out to me was that he's somehow squinting his visor.

He just got a shield to the face, and it's a dent.

In the AvX thread, people disagreed with me, but I thought this looked goofy as gently caress, not badass:

AvX #2

Even Magma looks like she is laughing behind his back.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

It's bizarrely drawn, but then again these characters are supposed to be inhumanly proportioned. Liefeld can also draw great monsters when he doesn't have to care about human proportions. How about uploading some pages featuring regular human characters? That would better showcase the artist's talent.

The topic title says no more Liefeld, so I wouldn't. Also, I'm sure that it would account for less than 5% of his work, so saying he can do one thing good when he never does it, would not represent the artist well.

IUG fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 21, 2012

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That's like a...triple negative right there.

Woops, said "does it" in my head, and I guess my fingers misheard me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ruin Completely posted:

Did I miss it, or did no one post any Jamie Hewlett? I really love his linework, and he includes exactly the right amount of detail.

Details like entire bullets being fired intact?

(I like him too, but I noticed it).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

"You're an artist who knows how it should be done. You shouldn't say anything. You should only be able to criticize what I draw if you're a fan. Because then you wouldn't know better. And then I can ignore it."

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

What does this even mean?

Stewart's picture was funny but it also wasn't very professional.

Was he not yelling at another artist for criticizing him? He said that the only people who can yell at him are his fans. I assume it's because he doesn't care about their opinion on how to draw.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bottom left panel makes it look like they're trying to feel how strong his muscles are.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gavok posted:

They're rereleasing Marvel Superheroes and Marvel vs. Capcom 1 for Xbox 360 and they got Whilce Portacio to do the art.

He put this together.

Yikes. Gambit jumps like he's standing. And who is Chun-Li kicking at?

Hey Magneto.
Hey Doom.
Any idea what we're doing here?
Nope.
Are we supposed to be here? It says "Heroes" above us.
Still no clue.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It took me until now to realize that they're in some kind of canyon standing around, and that's not some crappy explosion. I guess that explains most things about their poses, but Chung-Li is still flying around back there.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I figured they were trying to catch up with that smaller, Winnebago-sized ship, by going to ludicrous speed.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Daggerpants posted:

When I read that issue I immediately thought "That would make a fantastic avatar."

If that happens, the custom text under it should be either "ludicrous speed now" or "they've gone plaid".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Have people forgotten how to read the topic title?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Adam Strange posted:

Why would anyone willingly read motion comics

I really liked the Astonish X-Men one on Netflix I saw. I thought it was better than decent.
EDIT: It also has good voice acting, so there's nothing to "read" if you're being literal.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I really like this cover from the latest Dark Tower book:

(Yes, that character does have down syndrome, before you ask)

I believe the cover was done by Richard Isanove, if I googled it right.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pacra posted:

Speaking of Strong Guy (who was/is a great character in X-Factor of a few years past):

good guido:

bad guido:

p.s. How does he keep those lenses in, anyway

I liked the idea that Strong Guy got hit by a car and didn't release the power in time, so he's permanently charged with extra mass that he can't use and hurts him constantly. That excuses a bit of his odd looks (not all of them in that picture I guess), and makes him more interesting than "peak human strength guy".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

I tried to make this easier to parse, and... IT WORKED

The "AMUSING" in the top corner is just so great.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I looked at that and wondered why they had a Grey alien with them, then realized it was Iceman.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Madrox posted:

That's OG Iceman, so he's in his more snowy form.

I know, but I was exaggerating because it looks more like an alien than old Iceman.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just saw this cover posted as a preview, and couldn't stop staring at it. It would be a quicker list to just list what they drew right. That list might also be empty.

I know Deadpool's a comedy comic, but I can't tell if it was intentionally terrible, or this was an honest attempt.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm curious to know what the other end of Nightwing's rope is attached to. He's swinging over rooftops. Is there a skyscraper in the middle of those smaller buildings? This is an issue that crops up a lot in Spider-Man.

The answer for Spider-Man has always been "passing helicopter".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

Although I can indeed read the thread title, I feel inclined to post this Rob Liefeld cover I have never seen before; I'm actually surprised it isn't on either of the Progressive Boink lists of his worst drawings:

Warpath's been at the spinach, as you can clearly see.

Man, that cover's so busy I never noticed until now those two "background" characters on the left side.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Servoret posted:

Edit: I knew that image of Kang chilling on the invisible couch looked familiar. It's from Avengers #8.

Ah, that also explains (not that it needed explaining) this week's Uncanny Avengers #12 cover:

I thought the signatures were a nice touch.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Forget the gun or the arms. I can't figure out what that sentence means.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

Man this makes so much more sense with the text.

Yup. My shop has had this poster in their window, and I actually asked them about this image when I last went in. It's good to know that, indeed, his shield was trying to back him off the cliff.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What's wrong with that 2012 Avengers cover? I also have no problem with that movie Spider-Man illustration.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

what is Black Widow hanging from?

A passing helicopter, of course.

I just like that Sandman is in there. And he got way more space on that cover than whoever's hiding behind Scarlet Witch's cape by the edge of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hey, quote is not edit.

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm pretty sure the Liefeld cover was the crater. The Perez cover is great for what it is, a huge compositional mess that shoehorns every character possible into the image. It's a whole lot better than most of that type.

X-Men 200

I'm biased because I have this framed on my wall in my office.