Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Shameless posted:

Corben's people can be a bit funky looking but he's second to none when it comes to illustrating horror books. He's a master of the grotesque. His work on Hellboy is brilliant.

Yeah, I was going to defend him solely because of Hellboy. His people can look pretty weird, but I think it works really well for Hellboy because he's weird-looking by default, and you're used to him being weird-looking. So the only real 'normal'-looking guy in his stories is the huge red demon main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Richard Corben's issue of Solo was great. In fact all of the issues of Solo were great. Even the Damion Scott one.

Speaking of which: I think I'd actually probably enjoy a Damion Scott comic a lot more if it wasn't a mainstream superhero book. His Batgirl stuff was rad for the most part but his Raven mini was inscrutable. I think that if he had a script that really just let him go nuts it would be fun as heck to read.

Damion Scott's art has just got stylized to the point of being unreadable. His issue of Solo was fun and cool to look at, but drat, I couldn't figure out what was going on in that Flash story at all. For reference, from Solo #10:

I think people give him a lot of poo poo because his art isn't what you expect a superhero book to look like, so maybe you're right. I hated his Batgirl work at first, but I've done a complete 180 and I think it's pretty great now.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

d00gZ posted:

I think Scott *could* be absolutely fantastic, but he just needs to find the right balance between the hyper-expressive graffiti style and, well, telling a loving story. He's a less disciplined Chris Bachalo. He did some AMAZING work on Batgirl before he started experimenting off the rails, though.

I'd kind of like to see him back in comics, just to see if what he's learned since he vanished. The Raven mini was pretty abysmal, but if there's one thing about Damion Scott, it's that he's always changing his art, but whether that's always a good thing is another matter. His work on Batgirl #1 definitely doesn't look the same as his art when he left that book, and is lightyears away from his crazy experimental solo stuff.

Or at least get him to do some crazy graffiti covers or something.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

You can't be serious. Under what possible context did this cover fly?

I don't think it's an actual cover, just something he drew to sell.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

The one thing I usually kind of like about Frank Cho is that his women that are supposed to be strong or good fighters have a little bit of meat on their bones as opposed to the usual default supermodel body. They've still usually got the ridiculous gigantic boobs, but at least they're not tiny little waifs punching out the Hulk or something.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

edit: i misunderstood the joke

Darth Nat fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 16, 2011

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I actually really like it when Power Girl is drawn so that she looks, well, powerful, but I prefer it when she doesn't look like a lumpy sack of potatoes.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

From Flashpoint: Lois Lane and the Resistance #1, art by Eddie Nunez. While not really terrible art per se, it was rather striking to see Lois drawn with such voluptuous curves and gigantic boobs.

Eddie Nunez tends to draw every female character with, um... interesting proportions.

Him being put on a book about Lois Lane, who I wouldn't really considered a major sex symbol in comics, is pretty baffling. As well as the writer making it so that she's in that awful dress for that whole issue. I felt like that whole mini was false advertising, since the cover depicted her in a cool trenchcoat that covered her whole body and holding a gun, ready to defend herself against some monsters. And then you opened the book, and she was in an awful torn dress, posing awkwardly all the time.

edit: Here's that cover so you can see what I expected, and then what I got:

Darth Nat fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 1, 2012

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Since there's a lot of talk of warrior women and what they should look like here lately, here's some stuff by Ross Campbell from Glory #23, which comes out next week, and is pretty much a completely different take on a tough female character than you usually see in comics:

I know he's done some other creator-owned stuff, but he came to my attention when they announced the new Glory book and she looked so much different than every other female superhero out there. He's got some pretty cool stuff on his deviantart.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I thought I'd catch up on I, Vampire, and I thought this was a particularly good spread from #7 by Andrea Sorrentino. This seems like one of the only books that hasn't really succumbed to the art getting worse as the artist gets more rushed or a fill-in has to come on board to help finish issues.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Good lord, Supergirl and Starman's teeth :stare:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I think it's the gigantic lips that get me--everyone else seems to have pretty normal ones, but then Supergirl has those huge, collagen-injected things.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I get that anybody with "Hulk" in their name is gonna be pretty buff, just... check out Whilce Portacio's Red She-Hulk in this week's Incredible Hulk #7.

:stare: God drat.

I don't mind muscular women at all in my comics, but in this case, I feel like if you removed the boobs that look like cantaloupes stuffed under her shirt and cut her hair, you'd be left with a red Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

My favorite part about this is that there are all these fantastical locations, and then... "To shopping center."

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It reminds me of that "tiny face Mitt Romney" meme that was going around for a while. I think I've made peace with Burnham's faces being kind of weird though.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

The only thing that bothers me about those costumes is that Wonder Woman herself has the boringest set of armor.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Fearless Defenders totally screwed the pooch with the art. You could probably make a whole gallery of Misty in poses with her butt thrust toward the reader.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I really can't say enough good things about Ross Campbell's artwork, but I will say that I'd probably read a book about any stupid Liefeld character provided that he draws it:

(Glory #33)

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Yeah, I've read the first volume of Wet Moon and liked it even though I imagine I'm not the target audience. There's just something addictive about the slice-of-life shenanigans with underlying mystery that he writes. I'll pick up the second volume whenever it comes out on Comixology.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I haven't read Prophet, but yeah, I think they asked Graham if they could use a few of his characters.

Also, look for the special guest appearance of the greatest hero of this and all worlds.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

LightsGameraAction posted:

Okay I see a bear called "Badbear" holding a bo staff. Someone needs to explain.

quote:

Also, look for the special guest appearance of the greatest hero of this and all worlds.

I think it's basically just a joke on the general goofiness of Liefeld heroes.

Also, his take on Suprema is really adorable and it makes me wish he was doing a Supergirl book or something where she had a sensible costume with shorts instead of a skirt or weird red crotch plate.

Darth Nat fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Shadow of the Batgirl by Sarah Kuhn and Nicole Goux may not have an art style that's for everyone, but it does have a really cool library in it: