Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Humboldt squid posted:

Most of these are pretty drat egregious, but I kinda get the impression that the blog author considers using a photo reference (as opposed to a straight up trace), as a concept is cheating somehow.

Like this one

I don't really see the problem with doing.

I don't really think there's a problem with using photo references (in fact it's a pretty drat good idea in comics, since it helps avoid non-euclidean anatomy, given the time constraints involved), or even tracing in-and-of itself. Land's problem is that he's doesn't really bother getting his sources to fit with each other, and traces other artist's work.
Cameron Stewart has a great post here about how he uses photo reference. He'll trace photos to get the feel of a scene, but the final drawing is more removed from the photo. What I like about him doing that is that there are some touches in the drawing but not the photo, and it makes the drawing more interesting and emotive. Talking about the eyebrow being more visible in the drawing in CS's post, or the way the bricks on the ground frame the character more then they distract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Heresiarch posted:

Incompetence is not a "style", regardless of how much DeviantArt kids want it to be.

Incompetent means you cannot read the physical and emotional content of a scene. Style generally means the art doesn't really mesh with what the subject actually looks like.
That Ramos page is the definition of strong style but still competent.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Heresiarch posted:

And giving Spiderman a monstrously long neck in a static profile shot does not serve any purpose, either. He's not supposed to have one. It doesn't make him look more Spiderman-like. It doesn't make the page layouts better, it doesn't improve the action in the panel (since it doesn't have any). It just makes him look weird.

The elongated neck actually does help show the relationship between Spiderman and Dr Oct. It helps show Spiderman as taller but more slender and fragile, conveying someone more powerful but who can still be taken down, while Ock is small and blocky, like a pitbull.

Compare that with someone who really doesn't have any skill, like Land, and the difference is really clear.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

fritz posted:

People say and said the same thing about Liefeld.
I haven't seen much Liefeld, but from what I've seen I'd agree with Madkal that he doesn't have much range of emotions for what he draws. If you just want a bunch of over muscled dudes punching poo poo, he's going to be fine, but unless it is a fight scene you won't know what's going on without words.

To add some content, here's some pages from Cameron Stewart:

I like this one because the 3rd panel has Doc Hero imagining himself in his magical helmet or whatever, shown in a way unique to comics.

Pretty sure this page is a metaphor for growing up in some way. I like it. From the building, pants-wetting terror of Doc Hero to the smug satisfaction at the end.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Dr. Hurt posted:

Is this from the Slaves of Mickey Eye? I really just want Seaguy Eternal to come out. Partially for more Cameron Stewart art.
Yes, it is Slaves of Mickey Eye. And yes, Seaguy Eternal needs to come out.

JackDarko posted:

Stewart was talking about finally getting a script for a project that's ending was long overdue on twitter months before NYCC. He then mentioned he would have some announcements during NYCC but nothing about his work was announced. So it stands to reason it could be Seaguy Eternal, since other creators with DC projects didn't get their work announced either.

I hope anyway :negative:

I am 100% with you, but soon after NYCC Stewart posted a few pages about some girl's school thing, maybe a Batman Inc related Batgirl? It really didn't look very Seaguy.

I am so worried.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

OldMemes posted:

I just checked and it was - that comic is bad - the art is mainly awkard cheesecake with bad anatomy, and an ultra-clichéd "Supergirl is spilt into good and evil copies" nonsense.
If she's the evil copy, why doesn't she have a goatee?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

Didn't they already do that for the Absolute?

Yes, but I'm pretty sure it was limited to the backgrounds, so things get individually colored instead of a sea of yellow people in yellow clothes. It looks a lot better.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I really want to get this, loved Fortress of Solitude, is it worth the read?

If you're interested it definitely is. Omega has a very odd touch to even the normal parts that I remember from his books (haven't read Fortress tho).

Lethem goes on a few experiments, one issue is almost entirely silent, another is narrated by a singing sculpture, but it all flows along with an oddly touching and interesting story.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I appreciate that Marvel has guidelines about trying not to dehumanize minorities, especially in Electra which has a long history of killing faceless and demonic Asians without much on the "good representation" side.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Sometimes artists will have other folks do particular things like faces. If that's what happened it seems junk that they aren't getting credit, but there could be a deal going on.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
No, I wouldn't call it bad art.

The face itself is Javier Pulido, and his style can work for you or not. The top and bottom panel are clearly separate but line up, to help clarify that the head in the top panel belongs to the body in the bottom panel, even though the angle is different. I think he's trying to keep the association clear because there are 2 black cats in that issue?

It's not a great set if you focus on it, but I can see it helping to keep things clear if you're reading through.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Catastrophically Horney is a great phrase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
MJ's skirt is made of architectural shingles, but that's a clear allusion to the "wall crawler".