Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

goatface posted:

Why has he got kinesio tape on his inner thigh?

He forgot to attach the pouches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

I think the leg under the arm on the left is supposed to be Bishop's but that doesn't make any kind of sense

None of it makes any sense. And I keep looking at it.

The spiky boot is Logan's leg but the way Cyclops' right leg is colored and positioned it looks like Wolverine's and that he's kind of squatting and Scott's leg is the one with the stripes on it. None of this makes any sense.

I keep staring at this thing and what's that energy ball thing on the left hand side?

Who's holding that "gun" that looks like a face?

Is that hair on the guy on the left? I guess the striped leg is his but how is it attached to his body. Who's holding the gun? I guess it's this dude by process of elimination.

How is Scott shooting his blast straight down like that? Why is it so thin?

Why do Logan's claws look like a cat's toenails and how would they retract into his forearms?

Are those Storm's arms there in white or part of her costume? Her legs...?

The gently caress is the person (people?) at the top wearing yellow feather pants? Or is that a fire trail?

Any reason for the X pattern to be almost inseparable from the background?

Why can't I read the word "UNCANNY"?

I can't find one good thing in this cover and just keep finding new things that suck. There's NO composition here. It's like 20 different artists drew different parts of everything and then they pasted them all together. Even the coloring is terrible; the yellow in particular.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ygolonac posted:

Jim Steranko - Chandler: Red Tide

Found on Tumblr recently.

fantastic

I always admire when an artist uses shapes of black and white to communicate form rather than drawing a line around everything and then filling it in - if that makes sense. There are hardly any contour lines in these images and it takes real skill to draw this way; just using light and shadow. Sin City is a decent example of this.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also one Calvin and Hobbes Sunday strip.

Good example. I'm particularly taken with how well the ones with snowscapes are executed

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I forget where I read the quote but some publisher or editor in chief said that "every artist wants to do a Dr Strange book"

Which, as an artist, checks out for me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I mean, logically he should either be skinny as poo poo, or kinda chubby depending on how Kryptonian metabolisms work in regards to burning calories while resting. You build muscle by pushing muscles to their physical limit and they rebuild themselves larger, something he never did for the first 2 decades of his life and still barely ever does now. But trying to apply logic to the physiology of Superman is a fools errand.

I really like the way Alex Ross depicts him

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I really like the coloring on these

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Wondering why Logan would ever need a flashlight. Beyond that, the art is very good

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

this is bad rear end

Reminds me of Steranko and Sienkiewicz

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Alaois posted:

its a side-profile shot of the old man and then a 3/4 profile shot of the young guy with the black and green eyes standing right behind/to the side of him but i feel like he started drawing it with the old man and then realized he had less panel space than he thought when drawing the young guy

Then you slip sheet it and recompose the panel. I know they're supposed to be whispering up close but there's still a hundred rather easy ways to fix this. Even some color variation would help.

PLus, there's no reason for the huge eyeball. Christ, I thought it was a Liefeld laser eye guy or something.

This looks like Two Face. Plus I agree that it looks like Gleason drew himself into a corner but that should be solved at the thumbnail stage. I smell a deadline at work here.

Also, speaking of coloring, this is an example of what I hate about modern digital airbrushing: everything looks like an inflated balloon. I've always thought that the pencils and inks should do the heavy lifting and that the color should be used more to invoke mood, setting and lighting, which I guess they tried here since it's, what? A cave? The palette is OK but the application sucks.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I love some of this old art a lot, especially knowing the limitations the artists faced in terms of photo reference and poo poo like that. Nowadays, you can just look up "1978 Corvette" and get 200 images to look at but back then, access to that was limited and took a lot of work to track down. I still have a categorized library of reference material I collected in the late 80's and early 90's that I one day plan to use for a collage series and even now occasionally go looking for something.

But what I really wanted to post was how utterly lovely comic book writing used to be.

The image is right there, showing you everything that's happening, and yet every caption and every piece of dialogue just describes what you're looking at.

"Ace Carbone pulls his gun and aims at the caped crusaders!"

"Batman deftly knock the gun out of the criminal's hand with his batarang"

"Robin quickly swings in on his bat-rope and delivers a kick to the thug's face, knocking him out."

*WHAMMO*

"The criminal thugs are handcuffed and taken in by the police"

It took a really really long time before the creators mastered (or even explored) the idea of using the images and the text in sync to complement each other and to begin to embrace something resembling real, believable dialogue. Which is even funnier to me since Marvel, in the 60's with Spider-Man and Fantastic Four were lauded for being more "realistic" than their competitors. And they WERE.

loving Stan Lee didn't write poo poo. He looked at what Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko drew then put text in explaining exactly what happens in the god damned picture.

"Look! It's Lockjaw! He's...he's getting LARGER!" Now he seems to be teleporting to another dimension!"

"Hey, Spider-Man, now I have these giant robot arms powered by this nuclear battery strapped to my back! See how easily they snap your webs?"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Willam Dafoe as Bullseye is pretty inspired

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, it's not like there's tons of photos available at the click of a button.

I'm still amazed at the poo poo a lot of the older, classic pencilers pulled off given how hard it was to access reference material. All they had back then were magazines, newspapers and poo poo they culled from a library maybe. Even Xerox machines weren't readily accessible. Or cheap.

Probably one of the main reasons that almost all Marvel poo poo was set in NYC.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I feel like I'm alone in never really digging Steve Ditko.

He has his moments here and there but I think my main issue with his stuff is that it's all drawn like a play. Ground level 90 degree angles, not much in the way of depth or visceral action and really kind of boring compositions. He doesn't crop or variate the size of his panels nor use dynamic perspective and everything looks like it takes place on a small stage. I don't think his line work, use of contrast, suggestion of motion/action or even his panel by panel storytelling are anything particularly compelling either.

I mean, he's fine in as much that I can read a page and know what's happening but there's nothing that really snaps and his...rhythm (?), I guess, is a bit dull, especially compared to his contemporaries like Jack Kirby or Steranko where the character's movement jumps off every page. Almost everything looks "flat" to me and he's not much on backgrounds either

I've tried with Ditko (and it took me a while to appreciate Kirby) but I think he's a little overrated.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

So I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1684053374?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

But... it doesn't have this in it:

I bought the wrong Bernie Wrightson Frankenstein? :question:

A shameful omission.

God drat that book is beautiful

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Beautiful stuff from Matteo Scalera in Batman: The Brave and the Bold #7.

I always love art that makes great use of contrast like this. A lot of comic book art is almost entirely focused on contours rather than light and shadow but the approach shown above I think is so much more dynamic. There's not really a line AROUND anything

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Joe Sinnott is such a great inker.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SimonChris posted:

Frank Miller's "Holy Terror" got mentioned in another thread, so it checked it out, and it has some of the worst art I have ever seen in my life. I can't even tell what's going on half the time.

Whatever you do don't check out DK2. It's somehow even worse.

Miller is the anti Liefeld too in both these books. It's like he figured out how to draw the soles of those boots (whatever they're called) and he puts them into EVERY...loving panel. I don't know if Miller just got lazy, drunk, contemptible with the medium itself or all three because the original DK1, SIn City, Ronin and his work on Daredevil are objectively great, even if you don't care for his style, as some don't. But, like you said, you can't even tell what's happening on these pages, which is the first rule of comic book art and is not the case at all in his best work.

Quite the opposite in fact.

Frank's storytelling, framing, use of light, shadow and contrast and the suggestion of motion and action were pretty top tier and borderline revolutionary when he was on top of his game. I honestly don't know what the gently caress happened with him. You can't even really chalk it up to being "experimental" either because plenty of artists experiment pretty heavily but their poo poo's not straight up UGLY most of the time. I'm an artist myself and like to try out new poo poo but I'll keep working with it until it's polished or presentable at least, even if I'm not always successful.

In DK3, Adam Kubert kind of aped Miller's style from DK1 and was much MUCH more successful with it, for no other reason than you could tell he took some CARE with the actual work. This poo poo isn't even good from a thumbnail layout standpoint.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well...Ok. I don't see anything worth looking at or reading in any of those panels/pages.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Alcoholism, is my guess. Has he improved materially since he got on the wagon?

Not anything that I've seen, no.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

DK2 is just insanely bad from top to bottom and feels incredibly loving lazy.

Miller was never all that much of a draftsman to start with and was helped a lot early on by Klaus Janson inking his stuff but he used to be really loving strong at dynamic storytelling, action, lighting and composition. Just a master at comic art 101 where you can tell what's happening on a page just by looking at it as well as he handled pacing with things like page breaks and panel size. His pages always evoked a mood in ways that I define by being able to smell a page or feel temperatures. But I defy anyone to find something in DK2 that really nails anything at all. It's not even interesting in an experimental way.

I thought that Andy Kubert did a really great job with DK3 aping Miller's style (even though the book wasn't all that great) by actually taking some care with it. The whole book used to be up online but I can't locate it. DK2 doesn't even really resemble a rough draft to where I could slip sheet it, re-color it or fix it if I were to even try.

The drop off from DD to Ronin to Sin City to this trash and the poo poo he churns out now is loving astonishing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Alaois posted:

Wasnt DK3 basically just a Brian Azzarello comic that Frank "co-wrote"

I dunno. I read it and it's forgettable but it's miles better than DK2

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

DK2 practically deserves its own thread

And somewhere along the line, Frank Miller got really really good at drawing the soles of boots like this

To the point where they appear on nearly every page and are often FORCED into the composition by contorting every character's body JUST to show one of the few things Miller is able to render here. I hope everyone likes these boot treads along with gigantic hands and feet because every character has them. He LOVES drawing the bottom of shoes. And all this garish, lazy, incomprehensible ugly poo poo is, first, not only inked poorly but then treated with coloring that looks like someone's first discovery of Photoshop pallets. One panel's background literally uses the twirl filter on a stock gradient blend.

I'm not saying everything needs to look like Jim Lee, Alex Ross or Neil Adams either. I like experimental stiff (Bill Sienkiewicz comes immediately to mind) but this is really hard to look at for me.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 14, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Batman: The Brave and the Bold is still keeping it interesting. This is from #11.

This is great.

I LOVE the use of contrast and the whole "so loose it's tight" style. I really struggle to implement when I draw anything no matter how much I try. A lot of people think that artists who work loose like this are cheating but, trust me, you really have to be a good draftsman in the first place to pull it off.

It's just my style, but I could never really loosen up enough to bring this type of surreal texture to my stuff in ways that didn't look sloppy.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I had to check something

Still a bit scuffed, but in a way you could write off as stylised exaggeration

This, on the other hand, is trash.

Darthemed has been posting a whole lot of older stuff that can be easy to dismiss or laugh at and may look awkward but I always remind myself just how little photo reference artists had to work with 60 or 70 years ago. Imagine trying to draw a realistic looking taxi cab, phone booth, alley or newspaper stand with nothing to look at. One of the first things they taught me in art school as an illustration was the importance of building a photo library. I still have mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

those are great. Really love the coloring on them