Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
More love for Stokoe! Another recent favorite of mine is Rafael Grampá. He only got into comic art in the last 2 or 3 years, though, so keep your eyes peeled for his work - busy, crunchy lines with a muted palette.

From Marvel's Strange Tales II, issue 1. He drew the cover and an 8 page story.

Hellblazer #205 (won him an Eisner)

Mesmo Delivery, 2008

I also like Cameron Stewart a lot, but I think color ruins his work. :(
Batman & Robin 16, Grant Morrison run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

bairfanx posted:

I didn't post Brandon Graham because I assumed someone else had. Either way, I can't hear Stokoe's name without thinking of Graham, if only because they keep praising each other's work. Nobody does cities like Graham.

I like Brandon Grahams's newer stuff, but his old art is really stiff. The technical work that makes his cities and machinery look great translated badly to his figures, but you can see the effort he's put in to correct that over the last few years.

Someone posted some Sean Gordon Murphy, and he's another guy whose inks look about ten times better than the final colored product unless the coloring is handled with a light, subdued touch.

Inking and coloring a book is an unreasonable amount of work to ask of every artist, but I think there's a clear difference in quality between guys like Cameron Stewart (and sometimes Sean Murphy) who produce beautiful, careful inking that often gets destroyed by over-rendered "house style" coloring, and guys like Stokoe who color their own work and the results are a huge enhancement - or even Mignola, who works closely with his colorist and makes a lot of the decisions.

Oh, and here's some Sheldon Vella, who's done art for Deadpool, Strange Tales, Kill Audio and SUPERTRON. He's the other corner of the Stokoe-Graham triad.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Inio Asano does some really great stuff with facial expressions and body language that really sell whatever emotions he's trying to convey. A certain ex-mod typed up a blog post about how he managed to make one of the most satisfying kisses in comic books. There's a lot of really neat stuff going on in those panels that really requires a sharp eye for how humans tend to interact. It's a delicate thing that can be easy to overdo or just as easily lapse into cliche.

Thanks for the link! I've never considered the subject in much depth before, but it's got me thinking (and Googling).

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Apparently Das Pastoras can do everything but the human face.

You know Juanjo Guarnido, the incredible artist behind Blacksad? This is how he drew twenty years ago:

It gives me hope, man.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 14, 2011

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

If we're going to include comics from around the world, there are a lot of beautiful manga and manwha floating around, but you don't get much more opulent than Kaoru Mori's Otoyomegatari.
The first volume has recently become available in English as A Bride's Story. :toot:

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Jeremy Bastian, best known for his work in Cursed Pirate Girl.
Dude inks with a brush at PRINT SIZE holy loving shiiiiiiit

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Rabbit Hill posted:

This is from Blade of the Immortal, written and drawn by Hiroaki Samura. It's a long series and the art has changed in style over the years (it's been going since 1994), but the artist is classically trained and it shows. His backgrounds and landscapes are always realistic, he's put a lot of historically accurate detail in the architecture and clothing, and his covers are badass.

Samura is one of my favorite comic artists of all time. If you look at his individual lines, they're much more loose and scratchy than the refined final product would lead you to believe. He has a great sense of light and shadow despite using a limited range of tones, his understanding of anatomy is excellent and put to good use, and he has one of the best eyes for panel layouts I've ever seen. He has a way with composition and lighting that makes each page's presentation creative without being gimmicky or distracting, same with his variety of panel shapes and bleeds. Nobody could ever accuse him of repetitive, boring layouts. It's pro as hell. Samura's been doing this for thousands of pages by now, and Blade of the Immortal still reads like a showcase in dynamic storytelling.