Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yea according to my trades its the X-Factor Secret Invasion Trade with the ugly art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
He did an issue of Solo so if you like his stuff it's worth tracking down (just like every issue of Solo is worth tracking down)

Please note this isn't a Han Solo comic but a "famous artist gets to draw whatever story he wants comic".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

Just came across this and had to share.

This will haunt my nightmares for next week. Thanks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Y'know, after staring at this, mouth agape like a goldfish, I wanted to post everything wrong about it. Then I decided it might be easier to post anything right about it. This task wasn't much easier.

Um, her right hand seems okay?

Fake edit: gently caress no it's not, her pinky finger is clearly broken

Her right hand/forearm seems to be a little baby's arm that is attached to her right breast. This is seriously nightmare fuel. Like when you are having a dream and there is something vaguely...human shaped...but when you look at you start to realize everything that is wrong wit it. And then it asks to be let into your house for some reason.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The squishy Batman head one is the most baffling because everything else is drawn fine. Robin looks normal, there is nothing standing out in a strange way about the punks, even Batman from the neck down looks okay. But the face. I wonder if the artist spent all his time making sure everything looked okay, and realized he had 10 seconds to go before having to send it in but hadn't drawn Batman's face at all. Completely blanked on drawing Batman's head, so he just rushed it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Black Canary (I assume that's her) developing the power to rotate her spine 360 degrees is what is making my gasp in horror

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I guess Punisher 2099 is seen as some kind of parody now but I remember reading a random issue or two in the 90s and thinking this is trying way to hard to be edgy (now gimme me some Spawn comics to read)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
That Kelley Jones cover is a masterpiece and you are all crazy. It is the cover and not the interior so of course it is going to look different. The cover is visceral as gently caress. Here is a hulking monster of Bane, pure muscle, and he has Batman over his knee and ready to snap him like a twig. If that image doesn't get you hyped up for what is inside the comic there might be something wrong with you.
The T-Rex and the coin are there to show you that this in the Batcave - they are visual cues for the reader. Not only is Bane going to break the Batman but he is going to do it in the one place Batman should be safe - in his own sanctuary.
Bane is looking directly at you, the reader, and even though he has a mask on the look says "who is going to stop me from fulfilling my next move?
The cover is great, does a great service to the comic to get someone hyped up for what is inside and you are all wrong.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

Millar I'll grant you with some provisions, Ennis I guess had Preacher, but what puts Ellis on any sort of list, much less Top Three? Are we ranking Superhero/Superhero Adjacent Writers Based Solely on How Often Castlevania Fans mention them? Is "most famous" a list of several dozen people?

I think what makes them contemporaries (though Millar came a lot later) is that Ellis and Ennis both made a bit of a career on cynical dark humoured comics, both have a bit of a reputation of "real superheroes are nothing but perverts and sociopath" takes on superheroes etc.
They have different styles but they both like to show "what real heroes would really be like" every now and again (just look at Supergod, The Boys, The Pro, Authority etc).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

i do appreciate scratchy precise detail like this,very fun way to draw.

Kieth is an amazing artist and deserves way more credit than he gets.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The issue is that Kingpin is very stylized while the surrounding and other characters aren't. If everything was more stylized it would look like he actually took place in that setting but he just looks....inhuman compared to the other characters. I understand the idea of exaggerating characteristics because comics are about big men with big muscles and whatnot but he just looks out of place.

That being said I do appreciate the inspiration.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Flesh Forge posted:

this is so cool :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/TerryMooreArt/status/1433893794034880514

e: not the specific drawing, just the whole "you bought my book, here's a personalized little sketch for you along with a signature"

Jeff Lemire used to do this a lot at cons. He would do a quick doodle to go along with signing books. I got a few "original artwork" stuff from him because of this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you like that kind of stuff Lemire did a mini called Trillium which also plays around with page layout and such. It tells the story of someone from the past and someone from the future meeting up and will do stuff like have the person from the past story run on the top of the page left to right and person from the future story take place at the bottom of the page and run right to left. That would be just one issue. Almost every issue did something different with the page structure/layout.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Aunt May's butt chin deserves its own comic book.

edit: Raimi really missed out on not casting Bruce Campbell as Aunt May in his Spidey movies.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Flesh Forge posted:

For some reason I posted this in the Fallout Modding thread but it should have gone here!

https://twitter.com/TerryMooreArt/status/1505927444091764736

One thing this reminds me of is going to cons back in the pre pandemic days and how some artists would be there to sign stuff and do quick headshot artwork for some scratch, and other artists will be there to take commissions and make some serious scratch.
I remember going to a con one year and Tim Sale was there. He did a quick doodle of Batman in one of the books I bought for him to sign and did a signature too. It took him maybe 2 mins tops. A few years later I saw that he was at a con again and I wanted to get some stuff signed by him but every time I went to his table there would be some guy there saying that he was busy working on commissions and would be doing signing between certain hours (like just one hour that entire day) and the rest of his time at the con he was there doing artwork. I was a bit let down by this because I just wanted to get him to sign some more comics but I can't really fault him for this, and I did get a Batman doodle done for free from him years ago so it works out.
Jeff Lemire is another guy who will do a quick doodle when signing stuff (depending on the line up) and I really appreciate that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have never seen an inverted nose.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you can look up Stokoe and the way he holds his pencil when drawing. Dude has some weird super power of drawing in the weirdest way and getting amazing art out of it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The only old punisher I remember is where Frank goes blackface for a few issues. That was weird.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
From the few arcs I have read of Punisher, specifically Max, it feels like he thinks the cops should be better than him and actually upheld the idea of justice where he sees himself as as upholding the idea of vengeance. I remember a few times he would actually get pissed off at cops, mostly for getting in his way but sometimes for actually supporting/emulating him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As much as I hate adverts there is something charming and reassuring when reading old comics and seeing what was being advertised and how. They are such time pieces.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Suleman posted:

Source: Deadly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1

This is really cool. Who is the artist?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

They both look so so so so grumpy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I know this one is pretty much the standard for terrible covers

But i think this one is close

Does Lady Ock's tentacles come straight out of her ribs?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Esplanade posted:

There's a reason Adam-X doesn't get any respect.

(Okay, several reasons, but the cap doesn't help.

I got to respect Adam's desire to rock 3 different hair styles. He doesn't pull it off, but honestly who can?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

marshmallow creep posted:

Adam X had to be a joke character, right?

How dare you speak that way about a Summers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
He ain't no Limp Bizkit. His favourite food is Korn. His current mood is Disturbed. He hangs out at Linkin Park. He has a hard Hed (pe) on top of his shoulders. Mud runs through his Vaynes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Looked up Pappa Roach and they formed in 1993. Adam-X definitely listened to Pappa Roach before they became big. He probably thinks they sold out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

superLINUS posted:

? is Genndy Tartakovsky!

Holy crap the Samurai Jack guy. Does he do any comics? Just know his animation stuff

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jeff Lemire would do quick sketches inside trades of his books. I have a few of those. Tim Sale even did a quick Batman sketch in a trade for Long Halloween that the library I work at has.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If they drew a parking lot they will pretty much capture the look of Manitoba.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Animal-Mother posted:

So I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1684053374?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

But... it doesn't have this in it:

I bought the wrong Bernie Wrightson Frankenstein? :question:

Yea I did the same but it also has Kelley Jones so I am okay with it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
DK II started well but there is a midway point where the artwork just became so freaking block like that it was hard to even figure out what was going on in the panels. Just weird shapes instead of people.
I read somewhere (probably on these forums) that while he was writing DK II 9/11 happened and it pretty much break his brain which is why the first half of DK II seems more traditional for Miller, both story wise and artwise, and the second half done after 9/11 is a lot angrier, both story wise and art wise.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I assume its a parody. Just look at it. It is so over the top (even for Campbell) that I figure he knows what he is doing and is just taking the piss here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Batman losing his upper body and becoming what can best be described as "apelike" in the "second" panel is what makes me think that Miller kind of stopped giving a poo poo.