Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Okay, this is going to take a while, but I think it's what the thread is all about.

All the images on this post are from Immortal Weapons #1

The book is split into two stories, that of Fat Cobra and a b-story about Iron Fist.

The Fat Cobra story tells the history of Fat Cobra using a framing device of a researcher telling Fat Cobra his own history (since Fat Cobra has drunk it away)

Anyways the present day sections are by Mico Suayan and look like this:

The Past sections are equally stunning, especially the Michael Lark bit:

Having taken in this ocular feast, you turn to the b-story expecting further greatness and get:

Way to keep up, Travel Foreman.

and for those who say that it's stylistic drawing I give you this

Arms do not work that way! Goodnight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Quantify! posted:

It's shocking how few cartoonists can actually do a unique and recognizable face because it's really the only important thing in the comic. How many short-form comics reduce most of the panel to just talking heads? You can get away with a lot of "cheats" if you draw recognizable people.

Somehow people drawing nothing but heads manage to draw the same head anyway, like the Doonesbury guy. For a while I thought the entire comic was one guy arguing with his multiple personalities.

Shortfall of the medium I'd guess. The hero were given bright recognizable outfits to make them recognizable, so developing a definitive facial look (outside of hair style, eye color, or facial hair) never really happened. Even someone as Iconic as Superman can be described as black hair, curl, blue eyes. (Large jaw seems optional)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I found the best comic panel in Books of Doom #1 today.

It's Doom when he first discovers his mother's magic books. But look at the studiousness and innocence put into that pose, the way his hands are, it's so simple and just works.

edit: Also, I just realized that as Doom gets older, he slowly moves from a white shirt, to the green sweatshirt he is wearing there. After the first time he kills a man, he is shown shirtless sitting on a green blanket strewn out behind him like the robe he ends up wearing.

Also, I love the way stands behind his childhood self, since it is just his memories being shown anyways. He's frequently looking into mirrors, especially around the time of his disfiguring accident.

Okay, done gushing now.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 13, 2011

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Matt Rhodes is a concept artist for Bioware. His (NWS for nipples, cock, and awesome John Carter of Mars img) blog is right here: http://mattrhodesart.blogspot.com/ and has some amazingly well realized ideas in it. also just sketches etc.

here is another Comics related doodle (that "got out of control")

also, because I really like this image so I'm going to include it because it needs to be seen.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Do this people.

While you're expected to add content nobody wants to read increasingly long paragraphs about why you hate/love certain coloring.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Are those Scioli pics 3D?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Love the right shoulder in the first panel.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That Wonder Woman face looks like a mask.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Hulk isn't a hero, he's a metaphor for man's inability to find happiness within or without human society.

I ran this down with my kids the other day:

What colors do artists use on the hulk? Purple and green
Who else is purple and green? All villains from Doom to Green Goblin
Are any heros purple and green? No they are blue and red.
Why is the Hulk purple and green then? TIH was not a Superhero comic because Marvel didn't write those. It was a horror comic. He wasn't a hero until they needed him to sell the Avengers.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

What's funny is how much I likes Ramos' art in Champions

It's got all his trademarks but it really fits the tone for some reason.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Wendell posted:

Yeah, let himself go.....to the Wicked Shades Shoppe!!!!!

that is like the entirety of my reaction to the panel too. Geordi has a sweet-rear end visor in the evil universe.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 3, 2018

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

TMNT vol 5. Don't know which cover this was

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

From the sublime to...

That middle panel just whiplashed me out of a astoundingly good book. (Immortal Hulk #2)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd love a good series about heroes and villains attending therapy. I'm not sure who you'd get to write something like that. But it could be a awesome examination of comic book characters motivations and stuff.

1993's Peter David?

or more famously:

otherwise Tom King, I guess, but I hear he sucks now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Comic book fabrics can do things regular ones can't.

What's the DC version of unstable molecules?